Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Give up cash?

Jump to newest

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
11 weeks ago

Central

Do the IT failures today make you glad we still have cash and aren't totally dependent on IT?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ucy AnneTV/TS
11 weeks ago

Woodstock

Yes!

By *allerthanaverage79Man
11 weeks ago

Ayrshire

I'm sure I've seen similar posts!

By *enrietteandSamCouple
11 weeks ago

Staffordshire

"I'm sure I've seen similar posts!"

Never!!

Repetition.

In the lounge?

By *obilebottomMan
11 weeks ago

All over

We must never get rid of cash though I am sure any minute now there will be all those sayimg they never use cash and everbody has a card and wallets on the phone and such like. I use as much as I can. At least 50% of my spending I try to do that. Most people I know try to use both as muchbas possible. Lots of elderly people I know use just cash they get out of thir building society account. The local Sainsvury shop was only accepting cash thevother day due to system failure. Technogy should support not replace

By *ex HolesMan
11 weeks ago

Up North

No cause I got a free full English this morning

By *enrietteandSamCouple
11 weeks ago

Staffordshire

"No cause I got a free full English this morning "

Black pud pud?

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
11 weeks ago

Central

"I'm sure I've seen similar posts!

Never!!

Repetition.

In the lounge?"

Oops, I should know better

By *ex HolesMan
11 weeks ago

Up North

"No cause I got a free full English this morning

Black pud pud?"

Yes cock

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
11 weeks ago

Central

"I'm sure I've seen similar posts!"

I've struggled to see them and have looked

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
11 weeks ago

Central

"No cause I got a free full English this morning

Black pud pud?

Yes cock "

I'm guessing you'd not be getting them for long Rex

By *emonbuttercreamWoman
11 weeks ago

Birmingham

I would rather give up roast ham!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

11 weeks ago

East Sussex

Cash won't help if the tills don't work.

By (user no longer on site)
11 weeks ago

Easy eneogh for the local shop keeper to get some change out and start a fresh chitty plus most near us now have signs up asking for cash over card payments due to costs

By *ripfillMan
11 weeks ago

havant

No never it’s the spine of our banking system

And liquidity

Cash ought to be king … it is pure and is not tied into credit

11 weeks ago

I think the main reason we still have cash today is for the visualy impaired or i think they would of got rid by now

By *offiaCoolWoman
11 weeks ago

Kidsgrove

If we go cashless, the banks will have total control, they will be able to charge for all money transactions.

11 weeks ago

Ayrshire

"I'm sure I've seen similar posts!

Never!!

Repetition.

In the lounge?"

I'm sure I've seen similar posts!

11 weeks ago

Ayrshire

"If we go cashless, the banks will have total control, they will be able to charge for all money transactions."

Do they not already do that?

By *obilebottomMan
11 weeks ago

All over

"If we go cashless, the banks will have total control, they will be able to charge for all money transactions."

If people stop paying for a packet of chewing gum with their phones or not supporting venues that are card only it will make them rethink. Someone who is quite involved in banking actually said to me that banks do not want cash to go. Whether thatbis true or not, I have no idea. We are the only coubtry in Europe to be slowly walking ourselves into a cashless society. I will do my bit to resist it, many of the people I know do. Perhaps others will too.

By *indergirlWoman
11 weeks ago

somewhere, someplace

It's ok if you had the cash out already, none of the machines were working to withdraw it because of the issue so.....

11 weeks ago

Ayrshire

"If we go cashless, the banks will have total control, they will be able to charge for all money transactions.

If people stop paying for a packet of chewing gum with their phones or not supporting venues that are card only it will make them rethink. Someone who is quite involved in banking actually said to me that banks do not want cash to go. Whether thatbis true or not, I have no idea. We are the only coubtry in Europe to be slowly walking ourselves into a cashless society. I will do my bit to resist it, many of the people I know do. Perhaps others will too. "

It's true, however controls the printing if a countries money,(the central bank), has the power to control inflation, price indexes and interest rates, hence my earlier comment. They already charge you to deposit cash, make transactions, borrow money- and when they fail it's our taxes that bail them out!!!

By *ealMissShadyWoman
11 weeks ago

St Albans/ Welsh Borders

I used my card today. The outage only affected contact less

By *offiaCoolWoman
11 weeks ago

Kidsgrove

"If we go cashless, the banks will have total control, they will be able to charge for all money transactions.

Do they not already do that?"

Do you get charged at your bank everytime you use a card payment ? Do you get charged to have wages paid into your account, do you get charged per direct debit ....?

By *r.Vice GuyMan
11 weeks ago

bristol/london

"Do the IT failures today make you glad we still have cash and aren't totally dependent on IT?"

A cashless society scares the shit out of me. The idea of having everything on system that can be altered by someone you'll never stand eye to eye with is very.... optimistic that it will work out for the best

By *oodmessMan
11 weeks ago

yumsville

The outages today have shown just how interconnected and dependent the world is on such few moving parts. Whether people have been affected a little or a lot today, people busting their balls throwing paper in the air at what is a global calamity. Cash is a bit pointless if you can't access it or spend it on what you want.

By *erkshire8299Man
11 weeks ago

slough

Yes...cash is king...many times Ike at concerts , I buy drinks outside of the venue with cash as inside it's card only and more expensive...even the 02 Arena has got a nice Wetherspoons near it.

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
11 weeks ago

Den of Iniquity

I was at a festival this evening when the bar was card only yet I bought a Pizza from a decent vendor, and they took cash only and made a killing..

So deffo a place for both and imo if you have a bit of both then you can't go wrong

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
11 weeks ago

Central

I like having and using cash. I've not used my phone to pay ever. And reported phone thefts, where thieves want them to do financial crime doesn't give me much faith in doing so.

By *cotty_01ukMan
11 weeks ago

birmingham

Cash is a thing of the past

By *r.Vice GuyMan
11 weeks ago

bristol/london

"I like having and using cash. I've not used my phone to pay ever. And reported phone thefts, where thieves want them to do financial crime doesn't give me much faith in doing so. "

I have a mate who does ethical hacking for a job. He broke modern day online banking down to me like this:

Now'a'days, if you know what you're doing, people are literally walking around with their wallet high in the sky on a stick. Free for anyone to take. All you need to do is pull up at a coffee shop, hop on their WiFi and wait for people to sign in to the free WiFi. You can easily hack coffee house wifi and load up a false page, so that when the individual clicks the link to access the WiFi, they inadvertently give you access to see the screen on their phones and what they are doing. Then you just sit back and wait for them to access their bank account. Print and clone their card and there you go. Free money.

Fucking scary to learn how easy it is once you know what you're doing.

By *ust want fun 888Man
11 weeks ago

nearby

"I like having and using cash. I've not used my phone to pay ever. And reported phone thefts, where thieves want them to do financial crime doesn't give me much faith in doing so.

I have a mate who does ethical hacking for a job. He broke modern day online banking down to me like this:

Now'a'days, if you know what you're doing, people are literally walking around with their wallet high in the sky on a stick. Free for anyone to take. All you need to do is pull up at a coffee shop, hop on their WiFi and wait for people to sign in to the free WiFi. You can easily hack coffee house wifi and load up a false page, so that when the individual clicks the link to access the WiFi, they inadvertently give you access to see the screen on their phones and what they are doing. Then you just sit back and wait for them to access their bank account. Print and clone their card and there you go. Free money.

Fucking scary to learn how easy it is once you know what you're doing. "

Your mate is spot on. I’ve been trying to tell family and friends this for a long time

By *ansoffateMan
11 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

"I like having and using cash. I've not used my phone to pay ever. And reported phone thefts, where thieves want them to do financial crime doesn't give me much faith in doing so.

Fucking scary to learn how easy it is once you know what you're doing. "

It's ok the government will protect us.

By *r.Vice GuyMan
11 weeks ago

bristol/london

Do I detect sarcasm, hans?

By *itSurreyCoupleCouple
11 weeks ago

Reigate

Honestly can’t remember the last time I had cash in my wallet? 2 or 3 years ago maybe.

Even yesterday, phone didn’t work but card did in every shop.

By *r.Vice GuyMan
11 weeks ago

bristol/london

"Honestly can’t remember the last time I had cash in my wallet? 2 or 3 years ago maybe.

Even yesterday, phone didn’t work but card did in every shop. "

You're from Surrey, daaaarling. Why concern yourself with a thread for the peasantry and their need for hand held sheckles?

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
11 weeks ago

Central

Fucking scary to learn how easy it is once you know what you're doing.

Your mate is spot on. I’ve been trying to tell family and friends this for a long time"

Perhaps all the more reason to have generous data allowances and not to use free public wifi

11 weeks ago

Agreed

Sourcing actual cash to run a till in a shop is becoming harder as more banks close. Card payments per transaction are also increasing!

By *ripfillMan
11 weeks ago

havant

Yes this is possible - if cash disappears

By *rHotNottsMan
11 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Cash enables crime. Get rid of cash it’s very hard to sell drugs , immigrants , pay enforcers and bribe authorities and police

By *eordieJeansCouple
11 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

My card still worked. I got half a shift off work because of it so bring on more IT failures.

By *eordieJeansCouple
11 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

"Cash enables crime. Get rid of cash it’s very hard to sell drugs , immigrants , pay enforcers and bribe authorities and police "

And that’s where crypto comes in.

By *rHotNottsMan
11 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Cash enables crime. Get rid of cash it’s very hard to sell drugs , immigrants , pay enforcers and bribe authorities and police

And that’s where crypto comes in."

Few people have access to and will use the dark web, and even if they do high profile people are worried it’s being tracked somehow, ultimately you need to withdraw and wash through a pub or restaurant.

Bags of cash is still the way crime is done. Organise crime has been tackled in many countries by making the largest denomination quite small. The biggest note in Nigeria is 1000 naira, which is around 50p, UK crime have access to notes 100x so it’s easy to move

By *eordieJeansCouple
11 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

"Cash enables crime. Get rid of cash it’s very hard to sell drugs , immigrants , pay enforcers and bribe authorities and police

And that’s where crypto comes in.

Few people have access to and will use the dark web, and even if they do high profile people are worried it’s being tracked somehow, ultimately you need to withdraw and wash through a pub or restaurant.

Bags of cash is still the way crime is done. Organise crime has been tackled in many countries by making the largest denomination quite small. The biggest note in Nigeria is 1000 naira, which is around 50p, UK crime have access to notes 100x so it’s easy to move "

The thing with criminals is they will always find a way. Even the local crackhead can find genius ways to steal that someone with double the IQ would never come up with. Crypto seems to be the easiest way to move money illegally at the minute but if that stops they’ll find another way.

Drug dealers at festivals now have card readers so cash isn’t always king in these situations.

By *arkus1812Man
11 weeks ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

As long as cash is aailable I will not give up on it.

I currently pay my house cleaner, my gardener, my window cleaner and my chiropodist in cash and will continue to do so.

As a bit of a wheeler dealer I always carry a cash float in the event of a bargain becoming available or problems arise with card payments.

Long live cash

By *itSurreyCoupleCouple
11 weeks ago

Reigate

"Honestly can’t remember the last time I had cash in my wallet? 2 or 3 years ago maybe.

You're from Surrey, daaaarling. Why concern yourself with a thread for the peasantry and their need for hand held sheckles? "

Ah yes, Surrey, a place where all people are so rich we don’t use cash.

By *r.Vice GuyMan
11 weeks ago

bristol/london

You're from Surrey, daaaarling. Why concern yourself with a thread for the peasantry and their need for hand held sheckles?

Ah yes, Surrey, a place where all people are so rich we don’t use cash. "

Exactly. It's all butlers and black cards. I'm taking the absolute piss by the way, mate. Due to lake of appropriate emoji om here it's slightly harder to convey lol

By *lfa RomeoMan
11 weeks ago

southeast , Herts, Beds

Any cash I get from jobs I do , I keep.as one day cash will disappear and we will all pay fortunes in card and bank charges, another way the establishment what to control us . I'm eventually going to sell up everything, but a nice big motorhome and say fxxk you to the establishment

By *rafter69Man
11 weeks ago

upminster

I love cash, we use it to teach my kids simple maths for school. Sounds simple but it really works

By *r.Vice GuyMan
11 weeks ago

bristol/london

"Any cash I get from jobs I do , I keep.as one day cash will disappear and we will all pay fortunes in card and bank charges, another way the establishment what to control us . I'm eventually going to sell up everything, but a nice big motorhome and say fxxk you to the establishment "

Do I detect sarcasm, nice man?

By *alandNitaCouple
11 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

This popular social media concept is just scaremongering, 99% of all UK wages are paid into bank account, most household bills are paid by direct debit, businesses pay nearly all of their suppliers electronically. There's no issues with banks charging for these services. Banks could already choose to charge for withdrawal if cash if the chose to.

All card transactions already involve charges, but these are paid for by the shop/service/etc... these charges come from the card processing firms not the banks, and there are many companies offering card payments services. Competition keeps the prices down.

There are many good reasons for keeping cash, this just isn't one of them.

Cal

By *alandNitaCouple
11 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

"Cash enables crime. Get rid of cash it’s very hard to sell drugs , immigrants , pay enforcers and bribe authorities and police "

Big crime is actually much more invested in digital currency than cash, the physical nature of cash makes it much easier to steal, seize, damage, trace, etc... Crypto is usually preferred.

Cal

By *he love catsCouple
11 weeks ago

South Wales

We use a mix of both, although with the decline in cash points in our area it's easier to get cashback every time we go shopping.

Some businesses takeaways, private tutor's etc are cash only here.

By *r.Vice GuyMan
11 weeks ago

bristol/london

Poverty enables low level crime. Not cash. Chucking a suit on and committing white collar crime is no better.

Corrupt police will take bribes no matter what. Personally, I have no problem with any "immigrants" being paid cash because they don't have a bank account. Majority of the time, they're here from countries that our country has helped economically assassinate.

By *r.Vice GuyMan
11 weeks ago

bristol/london

Freedom is the underlying thing here. I will never support the removal of any kind of freedom by the government. They have a very bad track record of doing things for the people's benefit.

By *rafter69Man
11 weeks ago

upminster

"Freedom is the underlying thing here. I will never support the removal of any kind of freedom by the government. They have a very bad track record of doing things for the people's benefit. "

Well said that man

By *alandNitaCouple
11 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

"Freedom is the underlying thing here. I will never support the removal of any kind of freedom by the government. They have a very bad track record of doing things for the people's benefit. "

It's nothing to do with freedom, it's all about money. Ultimately, cash is more expensive to maintain. Cash needs "in person" payments... you can't do "in person" without people, and people need to be paid for their work.

With digital/electronic payments, a room full of computers can do the work of thousands of people for a fraction of the cost.

The only way to ensure that cash is around for the long haul is to use it...

Cal

By *2000ManMan
11 weeks ago

Worthing

Yes I always take enough to cover food shop just in case.

Post new Message to Thread