Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Walking Home After Dark

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Chelmsford

A new report claims that 81% of women between 18-25 are frightened of walking home after dark. We need to make women feel safer. What's going on here. It's all over the news

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *r John WickMan
11 weeks ago

The Continental

It’s been al over the news for a while Tom.

Some people can be cunts, especially after dark.

Even I won’t walk the streets after dark, and I’m John Wick

By *ickshawedCouple
11 weeks ago

Wolverhampton

I guess I'm one of the 19% then. I like the quiet and the stillness walking on my own at night. Doesn't mean I'm not wary and alert though

By (user no longer on site)
11 weeks ago

Is this another bear thing Tom?

I’m scared of walking home late at night… once I woke up on a school roof.

Women should be afraid of walking home at night, and I’d advise anyone I care about to not do it. Get a cab, get someone to pick you up.

They shouldn’t have to, but here we are.

11 weeks ago

I walk from work I'm the dark 3 nights a week. Rarely do I get trouble.a few times recently I've had guys stop from cars to try and talk to me. When I've told them it's not a cool thing to do they have been apologetic. Some guys cross the road to avoid getting close to me. I appreciate that they do that but I don't expect it.

By *rHotNottsMan
11 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Levels of crime in the UK are just unbelievable, I notice it more back here after living in a crime free country. I think it starts with the police turning a blind eye to things like littering smoking being d*unk in the street etc. So then violence and robberies are normalised. they even have to security tag to meet now in supermarkets, but still refuse to prosecute people who steal it. It’s like the criminals are in control not the police

By *ripfillMan
11 weeks ago

havant

It’s awful not to feel safe -the media has been cranked up this is perhaps over the top except …. It’s a good thing making people aware

But it can be done in a factual objective way and not to insight and awaken that prehistoric inner fear about what’s in the shadows.

To trust those policemen only to find it was a despicable outcome can not have helped these feelings of insecurity

Be practical take precautions but I hope it doesn’t stop women being frighted to go out

Sad our culture is changing for the worst it seems

By *iberius61Man
11 weeks ago

Pontefract

"...-the media has been cranked up this is perhaps over the top except …."

This. Journalist asks the question, 'do you have any concerns about walking alone in an unknown area late at night in the dark'

Woman answers, maybe some.

Reports says, women are scared to walk alone in the dark.

By *atentHeelsCouple
11 weeks ago

Salford

Nothing new though is it. I girl didn’t feel safe doing it 25 years ago let alone now. In my home town even a guy walking home alone was a risk.

Yes we need to feel safer but it’s a bit cloud cuckoo ideology. “Bad people” generally prey at night so best way to keep yourself safe, male or female is don’t ever walk home alone.

By *rsPricklePantsWoman
11 weeks ago

Room 237 at The Overlook Hotel, Suffolk

I often walk home alone after dark and always have when possible as I actually enjoy walking at night

By *agicM53XMan
11 weeks ago

Orpington

Of course...let me just grab my cape and batman mask

By *8on33Man
11 weeks ago

winfrith

"A new report claims that 81% of women between 18-25 are frightened of walking home after dark. We need to make women feel safer. What's going on here. It's all over the news"
Have a camera in every street lamp .

By *orthernJayMan
11 weeks ago

Canary Wharf

"Levels of crime in the UK are just unbelievable, I notice it more back here after living in a crime free country. I think it starts with the police turning a blind eye to things like littering smoking being d*unk in the street etc. So then violence and robberies are normalised. they even have to security tag to meet now in supermarkets, but still refuse to prosecute people who steal it. It’s like the criminals are in control not the police"

^^^^ agree with this ^^^^

The UK has plummeted in recent years in terms of social behaviour, you definitely notice it more living overseas and returning to the UK now & again.

During my last visit….

Had a security guard following me around Tesco, I stopped and asked him why; he was sincere in his reply “I just choose random people mate, you’re dressed really well and don’t look like a regular”, he apologised and said “we have to do it, we’ve a KPI and management check CCTV to make sure we do”; I was shocked!

Dude kicking off at his missus outside a bar, then he slapped her; my mate stopped me going outside to confront him; told me someone was stabbed outside the bar two days previously. Nobody batted an eyelid and neither did the bouncer.

Its seems the norm now, shoplifting, theft from trade vehicles, domestic violence in the street; where are the deterrents?

By *andyfloss2000Woman
11 weeks ago

ashford

I used to cycle to work till I retired last year at 3 15 in the morning was bit scary especially when I approached the town! X

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple
11 weeks ago

Leeds

I'm 39 and don't like walking alone in the dark, however past experiences have shaped that view.

Mrs

By *orthernJayMan
11 weeks ago

Canary Wharf

I wouldn’t let any women I care about walk anywhere in the dark on her own in the UK; sad reflection of the times!

By *he love catsCouple
11 weeks ago

South Wales

What part of the country are we talking about here Tom?

Maybe it's the cities as it seems pretty calm where we live.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

11 weeks ago

East Sussex

I was afraid walking home in the dark when I was that age although I did.

I think it's wise to be wary in the same way it's wise to put a seat belt on or wear a crash helmet on a bike.

The reporter who went out and was 'approached' by a lot of men showed the creepy side of many men. I think it's awful that actual filmed evidence was required before anyone took notice of what a lot of women have been saying for years

11 weeks ago

Did the same question get asked of men?

Walking in law enforcement It’s hard to get a true reflection on this and how society overall feels.

Would the same people be concerned walking home in areas such as Mayfair and Knightsbridge compared to say moss side in Manchester or Whitechapel?

It’s a sad state of affairs that people don’t feel safe, but the big question is what makes them feel this way and what can we do to change that?

By *ootyfruityCouple
11 weeks ago

andover

It can be scary! When I was younger I had my front teeth broken by someone testing a knuckle duster, still badly broken now

By *ellinever70Woman
11 weeks ago

Ayrshire

"I wouldn’t let any women I care about walk anywhere in the dark on her own in the UK; sad reflection of the times! "

There's not a monster waiting around every corner

By *rPunxMan
11 weeks ago

Hull

The night/ dark will always attract the criminal element. Reports of this are shown during the blackouts of ww2 how crime rose during these. It is certainly getting worse these days though due to several factors including things like under funding and reduction of policing, also softer sentences to alleviate over crowding in prisons, new energy efficient (dimmer) Street lights, a generation that have grown up never being disciplined and knowing no social boundaries, people carrying more items on them of a valuable nature (smart phones, contact less banking cards etc) and a general breakdown of morals. I would suggest if you can avoid it then do so. If not then try to at least stick to busy areas, places/routes with heavy cctv coverage. Try not to be alone if possible. Always be aware of your surroundings. And learn some type of practical realistic self defence ( that actually works under pressure testing)

By *ellinever70Woman
11 weeks ago

Ayrshire

For some perspective, most of us will probably come to no harm when walking on our own, regardless of time of day

By *rPunxMan
11 weeks ago

Hull

"For some perspective, most of us will probably come to no harm when walking on our own, regardless of time of day "
its literally a question of being in the wrong place at the wrong. With the odds varying depending on the situation

By *rPunxMan
11 weeks ago

Hull

"For some perspective, most of us will probably come to no harm when walking on our own, regardless of time of day its literally a question of being in the wrong place at the wrong. With the odds varying depending on the situation "
wrong time

By *luefire2Couple
11 weeks ago

just somewhere around here

Men, time to make changes and educate your sons in respecting women and consent! I mean....as a female in this lifestyle I come across "those" type of handsy obnoxious men all the time. It baffles me how they truly believe they have the right to treat women that way. I habe been on the end of sexual abuse when i was young.

Mrs R

By *luefire2Couple
11 weeks ago

"For some perspective, most of us will probably come to no harm when walking on our own, regardless of time of day its literally a question of being in the wrong place at the wrong. With the odds varying depending on the situation "

Only a man would answer this way.

By *rPunxMan
11 weeks ago

Hull

"For some perspective, most of us will probably come to no harm when walking on our own, regardless of time of day its literally a question of being in the wrong place at the wrong. With the odds varying depending on the situation

Only a man would answer this way."

I think you've totally missed what I was trying to say.

I was abused as a child by a stranger in the middle of day. Please try reading my earlier post. Before getting on your high horse and trying to accuse me of condoning this kind of behaviour

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

11 weeks ago

East Sussex

If something hasn't happened to you personally, you've never witnessed it happening to someone else or you wouldn't do it yourself. It's no indication that it doesn't happen to anybody else.

By *oadsafun1960Man
11 weeks ago

Somerset & Hertfordshire

I had a friend who would walk home at all times day or night it really worried me. She had a few concerns on occasions usually d*unks being rowdy but nothing too serious. But she used to phone me and talk as she walked if it was late at night or dark. It gave her a sense of security I guess and she felt she was less likely to be approached. But she's stopped doing it and now gets a lift or a cab everywhere after realising if attacked all I'd be able to do was listen in and send help after!

By *rPunxMan
11 weeks ago

Hull

"If something hasn't happened to you personally, you've never witnessed it happening to someone else or you wouldn't do it yourself. It's no indication that it doesn't happen to anybody else. "

By *rPunxMan
11 weeks ago

Hull

"For some perspective, most of us will probably come to no harm when walking on our own, regardless of time of day its literally a question of being in the wrong place at the wrong. With the odds varying depending on the situation

Only a man would answer this way."

just another point to take into consideration is that I have taught practical women's self defense courses that actually work as one of my students broke her husbands wrist when he asked her to demonstrate what she had learnt because he didn't think it would work.

By *luefire2Couple
11 weeks ago

Only a man would answer this way. I think you've totally missed what I was trying to say.

I was abused as a child by a stranger in the middle of day. Please try reading my earlier post. Before getting on your high horse and trying to accuse me of condoning this kind of behaviour "

Not getting on my high horse mate, it just read that why and if i got it wrong then i got it wrong. Just trying to get the point across. Have a lovely day

By *ilth N KinkCouple
11 weeks ago

Gloucester

I’m 42. I’ve been cat called, heckled, followed and grabbed by men in the day time so yeah I’m not going anywhere late at night alone.

Kink (mrs)

By *rPunxMan
11 weeks ago

Hull

Only a man would answer this way. I think you've totally missed what I was trying to say.

I was abused as a child by a stranger in the middle of day. Please try reading my earlier post. Before getting on your high horse and trying to accuse me of condoning this kind of behaviour

Not getting on my high horse mate, it just read that why and if i got it wrong then i got it wrong. Just trying to get the point across. Have a lovely day "

By *odgerMooreMan
11 weeks ago

Carlisle

It’s a symptom of a broken society that people commit crime. If we execute all the ‘mentals’ that’s a start - then if we maimed a few of the opportunist criminals .. rounded up the feral youths on bikes and as they like fighting… put them in the army… then women and gentlefolk who know how to behave can go about their business unimpeded… oh and we can walk in safety at any time of the day because all the wronguns are either executed or in some way maimed so as to render them harmless.. I for one look forward to the return of short skirted girls with titty tops out and about in safety at night!!

By *wiss Army KnifeMan
11 weeks ago

Second star to the right…

"Men, time to make changes and educate your sons in respecting women and consent! I mean....as a female in this lifestyle I come across "those" type of handsy obnoxious men all the time. It baffles me how they truly believe they have the right to treat women that way. I habe been on the end of sexual abuse when i was young.

Mrs R"

I have always thought this, it’s not just about women having to take precautions to feel safe ( although in an ideal world they shouldn’t have to).

It’s also about parents teaching their sons to respect women.

Just because a woman is wearing revealing clothing, it’s because it looks and feels good for her and is not an invitation to act inappropriately for instance.

I hope a lot of these movements cropping up like in the wake of Sarah Evrett makes a difference to future generations.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Best to dress modestly

By *eordieJeansCouple
11 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

"Best to dress modestly "

The king of the grenade throw strikes again.

By *affron40Woman
11 weeks ago

manchester

"Best to dress modestly "

This is part of the problem

By *affron40Woman
11 weeks ago

manchester

"Best to dress modestly

This is part of the problem "

The comment not the dressing for clarity

By *eordieJeansCouple
11 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

"Best to dress modestly

The comment not the dressing for clarity "

Don’t bite

By *rsMistyPeaksWoman
11 weeks ago

Essex

"Best to dress modestly

Don’t bite"

Not allowed to bite

Not allowed to dress

Not allowed to complain

Not allowed to say no

Not allowed to say yes and then no

Not allowed to feel safe

I could go on.

By *eordieJeansCouple
11 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

"Best to dress modestly

Don’t bite

Not allowed to bite

Not allowed to dress

Not allowed to complain

Not allowed to say no

Not allowed to feel safe

I could go on."

I meant it as in don’t feed the troll.

By *rsMistyPeaksWoman
11 weeks ago

Essex

"Best to dress modestly

Don’t bite

Not allowed to bite

Not allowed to dress

Not allowed to complain

Not allowed to say no

Not allowed to feel safe

I could go on.

I meant it as in don’t feed the troll. "

I knew what you meant. And whilst I kind of agree with the sentiment.. the trolls that hide under bridges are almost as bad as the monsters. They hide one another, they make the excuses. They keep the lies public. They spread those seeds of doubt.

By *affron40Woman
11 weeks ago

manchester

"Best to dress modestly

Don’t bite

Not allowed to bite

Not allowed to dress

Not allowed to complain

Not allowed to say no

Not allowed to feel safe

I could go on.

I knew what you meant. And whilst I kind of agree with the sentiment.. the trolls that hide under bridges are almost as bad as the monsters. They hide one another, they make the excuses. They keep the lies public. They spread those seeds of doubt.

"

Amen to that

By *eordieJeansCouple
11 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

"Best to dress modestly

Don’t bite

Not allowed to bite

Not allowed to dress

Not allowed to complain

Not allowed to say no

Not allowed to feel safe

I could go on.

"

It’s Tom. He doesn’t want an argument, he doesn’t even want to reply. He just throws a grenade and watches the chaos. He should pay for a blue tick on Twitter to get paid for this but he just does it for the love of the game.

By *ripfillMan
11 weeks ago

havant

I wonder if nursery rhymes as infants play a part in this insecurity?

Trolls - night -

Even Wordsworth wrote …

“Walking in fear and dread never wanting to turn a head “

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Tom dresses modestly to avoid attention...

A no brainer surely

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

11 weeks ago

East Sussex

[Removed by poster at 20/07/24 22:14:09]

By *mber and FireCouple
11 weeks ago

Carmarthenshire

"Tom dresses modestly to avoid attention...

A no brainer surely"

Avoid attention?

Really?

Perhaps you should be more modest with your words too.

By *ophie_GTV/TS
11 weeks ago

Gainsborough

"Tom dresses modestly to avoid attention...

A no brainer surely"

Would Tom walk home in the dark or is he too scared to?

By *JB1954Man
10 weeks ago

Reading

"Men, time to make changes and educate your sons in respecting women and consent! I mean....as a female in this lifestyle I come across "those" type of handsy obnoxious men all the time. It baffles me how they truly believe they have the right to treat women that way. I habe been on the end of sexual abuse when i was young.

Mrs R

I have always thought this, it’s not just about women having to take precautions to feel safe ( although in an ideal world they shouldn’t have to).

It’s also about parents teaching their sons to respect women.

Just because a woman is wearing revealing clothing, it’s because it looks and feels good for her and is not an invitation to act inappropriately for instance.

I hope a lot of these movements cropping up like in the wake of Sarah Evrett makes a difference to future generations."

My thought on this. On my local BBC news. Early this year did a series of segments over a few months on females being harassed , plus which could be classed as s***** assault. I do admit did not at the time believe statistics . Also segments had been edited for better news. ? This was filmed in Reading, Southampton and Portsmouth ?

Now I took out a few weeks after this a female friend who is a lot younger than me . She was having bad time and needed a night out.

Bar we went into had music and dance area. At bar found a stool for her to sit on next to guy to her right. I was on left. We had been there for a while and a someone who I had worked with chatted to me briefly. I then was ordering drinks for friend and me. When she screamed out. I saw guy on her right had one of his hands between her legs as far as possible groping her.

Door people were there etc .to stop more problems. Spoilt evening for us both. Guy do not even apologise . Thought had done nothing wrong.

I then thought of BBC local news and how many females do get grouped plus harassed on evenings out . ?

Post new Message to Thread