FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

CIS is this term necessary and stating your pronouns?

Jump to newest

By *anforkinkywomen OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Barwell

My personal opinion is that not only is it unnecessary, it is also inefficient and stupid.

The nature of work I do involves building reports that report by exception so why would 95% of the population who are "CIS" seem to want to state it.

I'm on the Asperger's spectrum and don't expect people to refer to themselves as NAS (Non Asperger's) to make myself feel more included and normalise aspergers. I know I'm in the minority and that doesn't bother me. Just show respect to each other and stop trying to over complicate things with 100 genders and silly terms.

Don't get offended, this is my view and I'm not ignorant or a bigot. Feel free to share your view and disagree. Don't start slinging insults at each other or crying what ever side of the argument we are on. I doubt I'll even debate your view as it is your view but I will read it and take it in. I know people who are on the opposite side of the debate will be decent human beings who share in good faith.

Yours Faithfully

Just a simple man

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *urry BlokeMan
11 weeks ago

My view is also simple

You (or I) don't get to decide someone elses gender for them

11 weeks ago

Barwell

"My view is also simple

You (or I) don't get to decide someone elses gender for them"

What level of granularity is sensible? What if I wanted to identify not as a man but a aspergersblueeyesasexual? I could get my head around male, female, trans and non binary but the number of different genders are growing and I don't want to learn them all. Is summarising into a handful of categories acceptable?

By *lowupdollTV/TS
11 weeks ago

Herts

I meet people where they are, when I’m with them. I don’t pretend to understand every new permutation on gender identity, or to personally care much about what it means. But I’ll respect how that individual identifies so long as I need to be conscious of it. This keeps things very simple.

By *he turned me GreyCouple
11 weeks ago

Warwick and Coventry

I take people for who they are, and gow they behave towards me/us. Anything else it's a case of not my monkey not my circles.

Mr

By (user no longer on site)
11 weeks ago

I feel its a bit like if i wanted to learn how to speak French then expecting everyone else to do the same so they could understand me

11 weeks ago

I think it’s fair to say that it’s valid anytime you want to make a distinct between someone who’s trans or not.

I.e. if you feel the need to say someone’s a trans woman or trans man, it’s equally valid to say someone a cis man or woman.

But if if not pertinent to clarify that someone’s Cis, it’s equally irrelevant to say that they’re a trans woman or man.

What’s good for the goose etc etc

11 weeks ago

Barwell

"I feel its a bit like if i wanted to learn how to speak French then expecting everyone else to do the same so they could understand me "

You summarised my sentiments in much fewer words. Well done.

By *urhamdiscreetMan
11 weeks ago

Durham

"I feel its a bit like if i wanted to learn how to speak French then expecting everyone else to do the same so they could understand me "

Love it

By *inky_couple2020Couple
11 weeks ago

North West

Do all people with Asperger's or ASD think the same as you?

If the answer is no, then you have the answer to your original question.

Everyone is different. Including people who are, according to societal norms, "different". For example, I am a wheelchair user, a minority. But my need and adaptations are completely different to my friend J, who is also a wheelchair user.

By *eronikapaulCouple
11 weeks ago

Reading

Who cares about labels. It's all about chemistry?

11 weeks ago

Barwell

"I think it’s fair to say that it’s valid anytime you want to make a distinct between someone who’s trans or not.

I.e. if you feel the need to say someone’s a trans woman or trans man, it’s equally valid to say someone a cis man or woman.

But if if not pertinent to clarify that someone’s Cis, it’s equally irrelevant to say that they’re a trans woman or man.

What’s good for the goose etc etc "

It is relevant in some cases, for instance. If you were going on a date, I think you should tell someone if you're trans if you couldn't reasonably expect to know IF you were going to get down to it. I think someone in that situation has he right to know. But agree that in most situations it isn't relevant.

By *inister_SpinsterWoman
11 weeks ago

North West

"My view is also simple

You (or I) don't get to decide someone elses gender for them"

Brilliantly put.

By *inister_SpinsterWoman
11 weeks ago

North West

Yes it's necessary.

It's respectful to try and understand someone's identity and use it.

You have your Aspie identity OP, others are defined as Normie.

If people have words to articulate their identity, so they feel comfortable in their skins. That can only be good for their emotional wellbeing.

Live and let live.

11 weeks ago

Barwell

"Do all people with Asperger's or ASD think the same as you?

Everyone is different. Including people who are, according to societal norms, "different". For example, I am a wheelchair user, a minority. But my need and adaptations are completely different to my friend J, who is also a wheelchair user. "

I think needs and Adaptions of someone in a wheelchair is very different because they are absolutely necessary.

The equivalent would be to expect everyone to ride in a wheelchair to make you feel better.

PS I'm sorry that sounds so crass, I didn't mean it to and I expect you want to reply and challenge it

11 weeks ago

Barwell

"Yes it's necessary.

It's respectful to try and understand someone's identity and use it.

You have your Aspie identity OP, others are defined as Normie.

If people have words to articulate their identity, so they feel comfortable in their skins. That can only be good for their emotional wellbeing.

Live and let live.

"

I not her heard the term aspie before. I don't know why but I kind of like that.

11 weeks ago

Barwell

"I meet people where they are, when I’m with them. I don’t pretend to understand every new permutation on gender identity, or to personally care much about what it means. But I’ll respect how that individual identifies so long as I need to be conscious of it. This keeps things very simple. "

I work with a they them. I sometimes miss gender but do try. They actually fine about it. Maybe because we have a rapour from our live if F1. If they got really shitty about it I'd feel a bit resentful though as I make an effort because I like them, even though I think it's silly.

11 weeks ago

North West

Everyone is different. Including people who are, according to societal norms, "different". For example, I am a wheelchair user, a minority. But my need and adaptations are completely different to my friend J, who is also a wheelchair user.

I think needs and Adaptions of someone in a wheelchair is very different because they are absolutely necessary.

The equivalent would be to expect everyone to ride in a wheelchair to make you feel better.

PS I'm sorry that sounds so crass, I didn't mean it to and I expect you want to reply and challenge it "

You know what? I really can't be arsed to challenge it at the moment. I'm sat next to my husband, who is autistic. He doesn't think in the same way as you about the topic you started the thread about.

I don't feel I can write in a specific enough way to make my intentions crystal clear right now, so I'll bid you adieu, Auf Wiedersehen and goodbye for tonight.

By *ansoffateMan
11 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

I think you've expressed your view with a degree of consideration. Although I do disagree that it's stupid and it's inefficiency is quite contextual.

Fundamentally, I would argue it's very efficient it is 3 letter a prefix, which in this context means: I identify with the gender assigned at birth. That makes sense, as some people do not identify with the gender they were assigned at birth.

Is it always necessary perhaps not, but if it promotes awareness then that's probably a positive in the long-term. The same could be said of Neurodiversity. My understanding is that Asperger's is no longer a term that's utilised, and it's thought of as high functioning ASD. That's probably a simplistic understanding, but then that furthers the cause of awareness raising.

Society ought to consider the needs and inclusion of minorities. I think that's a positive measure of a society. One that's willing to share power, as a moral virtue.

11 weeks ago

Barwell

PS I'm sorry that sounds so crass, I didn't mean it to and I expect you want to reply and challenge it

You know what? I really can't be arsed to challenge it at the moment. I'm sat next to my husband, who is autistic. He doesn't think in the same way as you about the topic you started the thread about.

I don't feel I can write in a specific enough way to make my intentions crystal clear right now, so I'll bid you adieu, Auf Wiedersehen and goodbye for tonight. "

Thanks for chatting anyway. You articulated your view pretty well, I think it is more my issue that I don't understand all of it. Hope you have a good night.

11 weeks ago

North West

"I think you've expressed your view with a degree of consideration. Although I do disagree that it's stupid and it's inefficiency is quite contextual.

Fundamentally, I would argue it's very efficient it is 3 letter a prefix, which in this context means: I identify with the gender assigned at birth. That makes sense, as some people do not identify with the gender they were assigned at birth.

Is it always necessary perhaps not, but if it promotes awareness then that's probably a positive in the long-term. The same could be said of Neurodiversity. My understanding is that Asperger's is no longer a term that's utilised, and it's thought of as high functioning ASD. That's probably a simplistic understanding, but then that furthers the cause of awareness raising.

Society ought to consider the needs and inclusion of minorities. I think that's a positive measure of a society. One that's willing to share power, as a moral virtue."

A lot of people actually choose to use Asperger's or Aspie because they don't like the most recent habit of having just one "label", which is "autistic spectrum disorder". There is no longer any reference to "functioning" because of the subjective and frankly ableist idea of it. Asperger's was retired as a label mainly due to the history of Hans Asperger but lots of Aspies actually seem to prefer it.

A lot of "high functioning" autistic people also like to differentiate themselves from the presumably "low functioning" autistic people. One can speculate why this is so. But this is not the place.

I accept whatever "label" the autistic person uses for themselves and use that, because they've chosen it. A bit like "choosing" your gender pronouns.

By *rucking-HellMan
11 weeks ago

Northampton

"Don't get offended,

"

Don't tell me what to do!

11 weeks ago

Barwell

"I think you've expressed your view with a degree of consideration. Although I do disagree that it's stupid and it's inefficiency is quite contextual.

Society ought to consider the needs and inclusion of minorities. I think that's a positive measure of a society. One that's willing to share power, as a moral virtue."

I'll row back slightly on stupid. You and others have made me concede that it isn't stupid even if I choose not to use it.

I didn't know Asperger's wasn't the normal term any more. When people call it ass burgers I find it pretty funny. Obviously I would feel differently if someone I knew and cared about made a joke with a specific intention to upset me. When I see people make reel videos taking the Mick out of Autism I find it hilarious especially if they're really ignorant. But I never felt like I've experienced real discrimination when it comes to work and it isn't visible so maybe that's why I aren't sensitive about it.

By *he Flat CapsCouple
11 weeks ago

Pontypool

I have a few views on this. People on the ASD spectrum view things differently from neuronormative people. One of those is to see things in distinct categories or to take things literally.

Cis is a valid term, especially for allies of non binary and trans community.

This leads me on to misgendering, which I appreciate isn't directly under discussion, but is inexorably linked. If people were able to complete forms and tick a cis category, how much simpler? If people tick a non cis or choose not to answer, you can be mindful of how they wish to be gendered, and use they/them and other terms in use.

Another topic, deadnaming. I completely understand this. My elder has changed her name legally. She doesn't want to be known by her former name. Not a trans change of name, but very traumatic nonetheless. So I can understand misgendering is as undermining and hurtful as deadnaming.

I would like to see more tolerance and understanding towards both ND and LGBTQ+ and those that are in both communities.

11 weeks ago

Barwell

Society ought to consider the needs and inclusion of minorities. I think that's a positive measure of a society. One that's willing to share power, as a moral virtue.

A lot of people actually choose to use Asperger's or Aspie because they don't like the most recent habit of having just one "label", which is "autistic spectrum disorder". There is no longer any reference to "functioning" because of the subjective and frankly ableist idea of it. Asperger's was retired as a label mainly due to the history of Hans Asperger but lots of Aspies actually seem to prefer it.

A lot of "high functioning" autistic people also like to differentiate themselves from the presumably "low functioning" autistic people. One can speculate why this is so. But this is not the place.

I accept whatever "label" the autistic person uses for themselves and use that, because they've chosen it. A bit like "choosing" your gender pronouns. "

To me high or low functioning doesn't seem to make sense because generally people don't walk around advertising their IQ. Never knew I had Asperger's till later in life so never felt the need to stipulate whether I was high or low functioning because I didn't realise.

By *ed VoluptaWoman
11 weeks ago

Wirral.

OP, I can see that you don't mean to offend, but you may have worded it clumsily.

But then, however this is addressed seems to cause offence these days.

I will happily refer to someone by their chosen name/pronoun, though I do struggle with using "them" in the singular and I roll my eyes at the number of genders being thought up.....

I agree with your point of not needing the word cis in front of the vast majority of folk in the world. Those identifying as the same sex they were born as are not the exception. However, if folk WANT to add cis to their sex, by all means do.

But if the two options for a woman, for example, are "trans woman" and "woman" and folk transitioning from male are happy with the term "trans woman", then cis is not needed.

I am simply a 56 yr old woman, who struggles with these things.

11 weeks ago

North West

I accept whatever "label" the autistic person uses for themselves and use that, because they've chosen it. A bit like "choosing" your gender pronouns.

To me high or low functioning doesn't seem to make sense because generally people don't walk around advertising their IQ. Never knew I had Asperger's till later in life so never felt the need to stipulate whether I was high or low functioning because I didn't realise."

The "functioning" label wasn't just about IQ.

High/low functioning were accepted and standard diagnostic parlance among adults and children diagnosed with ASD until very recently. Mr KC was diagnosed as an adult, just as it was changing officially. That was about 10yrs ago.

By *ed VoluptaWoman
11 weeks ago

Wirral.

"I have a few views on this. People on the ASD spectrum view things differently from neuronormative people. One of those is to see things in distinct categories or to take things literally.

This leads me on to misgendering, which I appreciate isn't directly under discussion, but is inexorably linked. If people were able to complete forms and tick a cis category, how much simpler? If people tick a non cis or choose not to answer, you can be mindful of how they wish to be gendered, and use they/them and other terms in use.

Another topic, deadnaming. I completely understand this. My elder has changed her name legally. She doesn't want to be known by her former name. Not a trans change of name, but very traumatic nonetheless. So I can understand misgendering is as undermining and hurtful as deadnaming.

I would like to see more tolerance and understanding towards both ND and LGBTQ+ and those that are in both communities.

"

What's "dead naming?" Is it deliberately referring to someone by their defunct name? If so that's bloody rude. X

By *lowupdollTV/TS
11 weeks ago

Herts

"I have a few views on this. People on the ASD spectrum view things differently from neuronormative people. One of those is to see things in distinct categories or to take things literally.

What's "dead naming?" Is it deliberately referring to someone by their defunct name? If so that's bloody rude. X"

Yes it’s deliberately using the defunct name.

By *ortyairCouple
11 weeks ago

Wallasey

I think it is superfluous and not required.

I am a woman. This means I identify as a woman and have done so since birth. Adding the prefix Cis does nothing to alter this.

A Trans woman has had to go through a transition to get to this part of her life story. The prefix Trans describes her current situation and as such is and apt description of how they identify. They identify as a woman and have transitioned to achieve this.

But in my case the term woman or the term Cis woman mean the same thing apparently. So this would indicate that a prefix is not required and Cis is redundant on the basis of this.

I am a woman, not Cis anything.

Mrs x

11 weeks ago

Barwell

"

Yeah with regards to your last point I agree. We are all human beings if people could respect each other and discuss in good faith, some of the contentious subjects wouldn't be so dividing.

By *ed VoluptaWoman
11 weeks ago

Wirral.

"I think it is superfluous and not required.

I am a woman. This means I identify as a woman and have done so since birth. Adding the prefix Cis does nothing to alter this.

A Trans woman has had to go through a transition to get to this part of her life story. The prefix Trans describes her current situation and as such is and apt description of how they identify. They identify as a woman and have transitioned to achieve this.

But in my case the term woman or the term Cis woman mean the same thing apparently. So this would indicate that a prefix is not required and Cis is redundant on the basis of this.

I am a woman, not Cis anything.

Mrs x"

Totally agree and well said.

But I'm now singing "I am Woman" by Helen Reddy

By *ed VoluptaWoman
11 weeks ago

Wirral.

What's "dead naming?" Is it deliberately referring to someone by their defunct name? If so that's bloody rude. X

Yes it’s deliberately using the defunct name. "

By *he Flat CapsCouple
11 weeks ago

Pontypool

What's "dead naming?" Is it deliberately referring to someone by their defunct name? If so that's bloody rude. X"

That's it exactly, Red. For a trans person, using their birth name rather than the one they have chosen. In my daughter's case, she changed her surname to disassociate herself from her father. She refuses to acknowledge her former surname to anyone she meets nos, and fortunately we had it changed at 16 years of age, so in essence she has a new identity with which she is comfortable.

By *ed VoluptaWoman
11 weeks ago

Wirral.

That's it exactly, Red. For a trans person, using their birth name rather than the one they have chosen. In my daughter's case, she changed her surname to disassociate herself from her father. She refuses to acknowledge her former surname to anyone she meets nos, and fortunately we had it changed at 16 years of age, so in essence she has a new identity with which she is comfortable. "

Good for her and glad you support her in that.

In my job, I see a lot of name changes, I imagine for the same reason. X

11 weeks ago

Barwell

Yes it’s deliberately using the defunct name. "

That would be cruel. I'd feel a bit shitty if I deliberately did that. I'm pleased the word is "deliberately" because I think intentions are more important than the words.

By *he Flat CapsCouple
11 weeks ago

Pontypool

Yeah with regards to your last point I agree. We are all human beings if people could respect each other and discuss in good faith, some of the contentious subjects wouldn't be so dividing. "

Forgot to mention, elder is autistic, younger probably also on the spectrum, more likely ADD.

11 weeks ago

Barwell

"OP, I can see that you don't mean to offend, but you may have worded it clumsily.

But then, however this is addressed seems to cause offence these days.

I will happily refer to someone by their chosen name/pronoun, though I do struggle with using "them" in the singular and I roll my eyes at the number of genders being thought up.....

I agree with your point of not needing the word cis in front of the vast majority of folk in the world. Those identifying as the same sex they were born as are not the exception. However, if folk WANT to add cis to their sex, by all means do.

But if the two options for a woman, for example, are "trans woman" and "woman" and folk transitioning from male are happy with the term "trans woman", then cis is not needed.

I am simply a 56 yr old woman, who struggles with these things.

"

Thanks I appreciate it might seem clumsy. I'm not the most articulate person, I'm way better with numbers. I appreciate you took what I said in good faith. It is a good assumption to start with when discussing an issue that can get people very mad.

By *lowupdollTV/TS
11 weeks ago

Herts

That would be cruel. I'd feel a bit shitty if I deliberately did that. I'm pleased the word is "deliberately" because I think intentions are more important than the words."

It does have to be deliberate tone dead naming I understand.

Side trivia on this topic, drag queens refer to one another by their drag names even out of drag. It’s considered disrespectful to use their actual names (among drag queens, non drag queens can use their regular names). Trivia on lgbt name conventions.

11 weeks ago

Barwell

That would be cruel. I'd feel a bit shitty if I deliberately did that. I'm pleased the word is "deliberately" because I think intentions are more important than the words.

It does have to be deliberate tone dead naming I understand.

Side trivia on this topic, drag queens refer to one another by their drag names even out of drag. It’s considered disrespectful to use their actual names (among drag queens, non drag queens can use their regular names). Trivia on lgbt name conventions. "

I guess it's like certain clubs have their own etiquette which makes you belong to that group.

11 weeks ago

Barwell

Yeah with regards to your last point I agree. We are all human beings if people could respect each other and discuss in good faith, some of the contentious subjects wouldn't be so dividing.

Forgot to mention, elder is autistic, younger probably also on the spectrum, more likely ADD. "

I thought ADD was just about struggling to concentrate. I definitely have that but I can also get super engrossed in something.

Because I grew up completely unaware I had Asperger's. Someone suggested I had it but I thought because I really like people and don't see them as objects, that definitely isn't me. I only started to wonder if I was different when my friends would absolutely laugh their head off at something I said assuming I had told a joke or had a dry sense of humour when actually I was being serious. Then often when I really am joking, they took it literally.

11 weeks ago

Barwell

Forgot to mention, elder is autistic, younger probably also on the spectrum, more likely ADD.

I thought ADD was just about struggling to concentrate. I definitely have that but I can also get super engrossed in something.

Because I grew up completely unaware I had Asperger's. Someone suggested I had it but I thought because I really like people and don't see them as objects, that definitely isn't me. I only started to wonder if I was different when my friends would absolutely laugh their head off at something I said assuming I had told a joke or had a dry sense of humour when actually I was being serious. Then often when I really am joking, they took it literally. "

* When someone suggested I had it, I didn't believe them because*

11 weeks ago

Barwell

"Don't get offended,

Don't tell me what to do!"

I didn't tell you what to do, I told you how to feel. Not that it is much better.

By *he Flat CapsCouple
11 weeks ago

Pontypool

ADD is often attributed to girls, because they don't demonstrate the hyperactivity boys do to get the ADHD diagnosis.

I had hoped that in the learning of the last 29 years, there would have been more acceptance of the different presentations between girls and boys in relation to autistic spectrum, which now does incorporate ADHD and ADD.

Girls present differently to boys, so many girls experience difficulty in getting a diagnosis during school years due to masking. Typically, it manifests during the transition to secondary school - change of routine, unknown expectations, what used to be a routine is now completely turned on it's head.

11 weeks ago

Barwell

"ADD is often attributed to girls, because they don't demonstrate the hyperactivity boys do to get the ADHD diagnosis.

I had hoped that in the learning of the last 29 years, there would have been more acceptance of the different presentations between girls and boys in relation to autistic spectrum, which now does incorporate ADHD and ADD.

Girls present differently to boys, so many girls experience difficulty in getting a diagnosis during school years due to masking. Typically, it manifests during the transition to secondary school - change of routine, unknown expectations, what used to be a routine is now completely turned on it's head. "

I should start an neural divergent thread as I think my comment about being Asperger's has side tracked s lot of people. But finding people's views and experiences of it interesting. It's useful to have some self awareness how some of my traits might come across.

By *ansoffateMan
11 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

I'll row back slightly on stupid. You and others have made me concede that it isn't stupid even if I choose not to use it.

I didn't know Asperger's wasn't the normal term any more. When people call it ass burgers I find it pretty funny. Obviously I would feel differently if someone I knew and cared about made a joke with a specific intention to upset me. When I see people make reel videos taking the Mick out of Autism I find it hilarious especially if they're really ignorant. But I never felt like I've experienced real discrimination when it comes to work and it isn't visible so maybe that's why I aren't sensitive about it."

I have a lot of respect for that. You threw your understanding out there, listened to others and now you have revised your opinion. I think I've done the same on the high-functioning aspect, reading others comments I've enriched my appreciation of the subject somewhere. I think letting going of being right, or needing there to be a singular definitive or objective answer, is what helps me have that appreciation.

That's why I like diversity, in beliefs too, it's an opportunity to learn from others and hear their experience as individuals.

I hear what you are saying about ignorance being funny too. This is why I appreciate satire and value it as a mechanism for social change. Not everyone's cup of tea, but hey what is?

By *he Flat CapsCouple
11 weeks ago

Pontypool

"ADD is often attributed to girls, because they don't demonstrate the hyperactivity boys do to get the ADHD diagnosis.

Girls present differently to boys, so many girls experience difficulty in getting a diagnosis during school years due to masking. Typically, it manifests during the transition to secondary school - change of routine, unknown expectations, what used to be a routine is now completely turned on it's head.

I should start an neural divergent thread as I think my comment about being Asperger's has side tracked s lot of people. But finding people's views and experiences of it interesting. It's useful to have some self awareness how some of my traits might come across. "

My understanding is that Asperger's is no longer considered separately from Autism Spectrum, it's recognised under that umbrella, the same as ADD and ADHD. There are distinct presentations between girls and boys. The girls who are diagnosed with autism present with the 'male' behaviours. It has long been considered that autism was a prevalently male for want of a better word right now - condition.

More recent research indicates a more equal distribution across the sexes, but it takes a very skilled practitioner to recognise a girl to have autism. Due to the co morbidity with anxiety and depression - the masking to "fit in" - autism is too often overlooked.

Our experience, whilst under CAMHS, from the CPN - "I don't know enough about autism."

By *asterMeliodasMan
11 weeks ago

Near Keith

That's one thing that often pisses me off about the medical profession in general: how much of a struggle it often is for women to get serious diagnoses in cases where the majority of the research done into things has treated how it presents in men as the default, so there's just sheer ignorance of the differences and it's just treated like they're making things up.

By *he Flat CapsCouple
11 weeks ago

Pontypool

"That's one thing that often pisses me off about the medical profession in general: how much of a struggle it often is for women to get serious diagnoses in cases where the majority of the research done into things has treated how it presents in men as the default, so there's just sheer ignorance of the differences and it's just treated like they're making things up."

Please don't get me started. I have a soap box!

11 weeks ago

Barwell

I didn't know Asperger's wasn't the normal term any more. When people call it ass burgers I find it pretty funny. Obviously I would feel differently if someone I knew and cared about made a joke with a specific intention to upset me. When I see people make reel videos taking the Mick out of Autism I find it hilarious especially if they're really ignorant. But I never felt like I've experienced real discrimination when it comes to work and it isn't visible so maybe that's why I aren't sensitive about it.

I have a lot of respect for that. You threw your understanding out there, listened to others and now you have revised your opinion. I think I've done the same on the high-functioning aspect, reading others comments I've enriched my appreciation of the subject somewhere. I think letting going of being right, or needing there to be a singular definitive or objective answer, is what helps me have that appreciation.

That's why I like diversity, in beliefs too, it's an opportunity to learn from others and hear their experience as individuals.

I hear what you are saying about ignorance being funny too. This is why I appreciate satire and value it as a mechanism for social change. Not everyone's cup of tea, but hey what is?"

I think I find things funny that are silly.

I tend to find if you listen to people or they listen to you ... You don't even need to change your mind. You can disagree but still have an appreciation for others.

Have you ever listened to a podcast by Megan Phelps Rogers? She was a member of a cult called the Westboro baptist church which picketed funerals of servicemen/women and gay people. Louis Theroux did a documentary about them and she featured heavily. She had some really strong views that most of us would find abhorrent. She ended up leaving the cult and dedicating herself to encouraging people to discuss things with respect. She left the cult because someone on twitter debated her with such kindness. She had previously been taught that she should hate people who didn't share their views. She couldn't understand how people she was meant to hate could be so kind to her.

Really fascinating woman. Highly recommend you watch her ted talk on YouTube. Sometimes when I get stuck in my opinion, I think back to her podcast and ted talk and reminds myself to at least listen with respect.

By *asterMeliodasMan
11 weeks ago

Near Keith

"That's one thing that often pisses me off about the medical profession in general: how much of a struggle it often is for women to get serious diagnoses in cases where the majority of the research done into things has treated how it presents in men as the default, so there's just sheer ignorance of the differences and it's just treated like they're making things up.

Please don't get me started. I have a soap box! "

As do I, believe me. The number of times doctors have let my wife down over the years could fill a sodding book!

By *he Flat CapsCouple
11 weeks ago

Pontypool

"That's one thing that often pisses me off about the medical profession in general: how much of a struggle it often is for women to get serious diagnoses in cases where the majority of the research done into things has treated how it presents in men as the default, so there's just sheer ignorance of the differences and it's just treated like they're making things up.

As do I, believe me. The number of times doctors have let my wife down over the years could fill a sodding book!"

I empathise.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
11 weeks ago

Central

We'd used the term cis from early school age, so it's not like it's an alien part of language, never encountered, or with a regular meaning.

There's also nothing wrong in my opinion, in having absolute clarity. Where language helps us to both form and to communicate with fantastic precision, it's truly one of the achievements of being human.

It's fine to have differing opinions. Sometimes we don't need to reinvent the wheel.

By *ansoffateMan
11 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

I hear what you are saying about ignorance being funny too. This is why I appreciate satire and value it as a mechanism for social change. Not everyone's cup of tea, but hey what is?

I think I find things funny that are silly.

I tend to find if you listen to people or they listen to you ... You don't even need to change your mind. You can disagree but still have an appreciation for others.

Have you ever listened to a podcast by Megan Phelps Rogers? She was a member of a cult called the Westboro baptist church which picketed funerals of servicemen/women and gay people. Louis Theroux did a documentary about them and she featured heavily. She had some really strong views that most of us would find abhorrent. She ended up leaving the cult and dedicating herself to encouraging people to discuss things with respect. She left the cult because someone on twitter debated her with such kindness. She had previously been taught that she should hate people who didn't share their views. She couldn't understand how people she was meant to hate could be so kind to her.

Really fascinating woman. Highly recommend you watch her ted talk on YouTube. Sometimes when I get stuck in my opinion, I think back to her podcast and ted talk and reminds myself to at least listen with respect."

That is an interesting story I may take a look.

On this occasion I agree with you.

Agreeing to disagree is can be just as positive an outcome.

By *eordieJeansCouple
11 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

I don’t personally identify as CIS because I don’t think I my gender at birth is relevant to anyone I speak to. I am who I am and my gender doesn’t define that but I don’t get worked up over what others identify as.

Just because you don’t understand something doesn’t mean it’s wrong. Live and let live. It’s not that hard.

11 weeks ago

I don’t know. Is it important that you care about that strongly?

I see the people getting wound up about pronouns to be the problem here.

Wether I agree with using them or not isnt the issue, I simply use someone’s name.

And the cis thing….I had to look up what that meant, which means I was doing alright before without the need to know what it was.

I think a lot of people just want an argument in their lives.

By *neeyedwillieMan
11 weeks ago

Darlington

"I think it’s fair to say that it’s valid anytime you want to make a distinct between someone who’s trans or not.

What’s good for the goose etc etc "

Its not "equally valid" and yes it is relevant to clarify in some instances. There are men and women and trans men and trans women.

You yourself write in your profile that you are a "trans woman" because it's important to make that distinction, especially when it comes to sex and relationships. You may not like that but it is simply reality.

But as to why its not valid to use the term CIS

The term "transgender" appears in the 1960s, when it was used both in medicine and by trans activists like Jorgensen and Virginia Prince. It was also a blanket term at the time that covered "transsexualism and transvestism"

This was the new term to catch those who did not fall into the previous (and to this day) definition of Man or Woman.

Now we had the new Trans Man and Tran woman term added to the lexicon.

So we had defined Man and Woman. Then came, thanks to the advances in medicine and surgeries, Trans Man and Trans Woman.

The term cisgender however was coined in 1994 as an antonym to transgender, and entered into dictionaries starting in 2015 as a result of changes in social discourse about gender.

In short, it started getting used because of silly people on social media.

why do I call them silly?

Because up till about 10 years ago, the vast majority of the human population knew what a man and woman are. It's the default setting for the human race and how we where born. We all knew some people where not like the others and that was fine but then a small but vocal online community started growing.

In short, it's highly unlikely you would have used the term CIS to describe men and women 10 years ago but Trans men and trans women was a term you would certainly have used.

So we can go into word salad hell, more so with the amount of pronouns that seem to crop up daily OR we can use common sense to some degree and keep things simple where we can all understand each other easily.

But thats just my take.

By *ortyairCouple
11 weeks ago

Wallasey

What’s good for the goose etc etc

Its not "equally valid" and yes it is relevant to clarify in some instances. There are men and women and trans men and trans women.

You yourself write in your profile that you are a "trans woman" because it's important to make that distinction, especially when it comes to sex and relationships. You may not like that but it is simply reality.

But as to why its not valid to use the term CIS

The term "transgender" appears in the 1960s, when it was used both in medicine and by trans activists like Jorgensen and Virginia Prince. It was also a blanket term at the time that covered "transsexualism and transvestism"

This was the new term to catch those who did not fall into the previous (and to this day) definition of Man or Woman.

Now we had the new Trans Man and Tran woman term added to the lexicon.

So we had defined Man and Woman. Then came, thanks to the advances in medicine and surgeries, Trans Man and Trans Woman.

The term cisgender however was coined in 1994 as an antonym to transgender, and entered into dictionaries starting in 2015 as a result of changes in social discourse about gender.

In short, it started getting used because of silly people on social media.

why do I call them silly?

Because up till about 10 years ago, the vast majority of the human population knew what a man and woman are. It's the default setting for the human race and how we where born. We all knew some people where not like the others and that was fine but then a small but vocal online community started growing.

In short, it's highly unlikely you would have used the term CIS to describe men and women 10 years ago but Trans men and trans women was a term you would certainly have used.

So we can go into word salad hell, more so with the amount of pronouns that seem to crop up daily OR we can use common sense to some degree and keep things simple where we can all understand each other easily.

But thats just my take.

"

Very well put, Mrs x

By *ora the explorerWoman
11 weeks ago

Paradise, Herts

"I don’t know. Is it important that you care about that strongly?

I see the people getting wound up about pronouns to be the problem here.

Wether I agree with using them or not isnt the issue, I simply use someone’s name.

And the cis thing….I had to look up what that meant, which means I was doing alright before without the need to know what it was.

I think a lot of people just want an argument in their lives. "

Definitely that last paragraph. I’ll always be a woman. That’s it. I can’t see me ever using the word cis. If someone else wants to who cares?! Can’t believe all the threads about this. I’d never even heard of the word until I saw it on here

By *rHotNottsMan
11 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Young people these days really need their labels for everything don’t they. I can kind of understand why , they are overwhelmed and , anxious , stressed by over communication and FOMO. Labels provide soMe security and order.

I’m happy to go with the flow , just don’t call me cis, or ask me to identify as one

11 weeks ago

The only time I had to put a label on myself was joining fab, but we both have names given to us by our parents, that's who I am! Anyone trying to force a label on me or I should use will get short shift! You have a name on your ID that's who you are.

11 weeks ago

Is this now a site for psychiatrists

By *rPunxMan
11 weeks ago

Hull

This is one of those debates that won't be solved for a very long time. Take for instance the race identity debate. Some people who are non white prefer to be called coloured some prefer black etc. We identity others from perceptual cues. Ie they look male or look female. Unless a person is forewarned that the other person is not identifying as their birth gender, then how are they supposed to know beforehand therefore getting arsey and argumentative over this just reinforces the belief that these labels are stupid and people are just using them to be awkward,confrontational and attention seeking. Maybe if your so obsessed with labels and missgendering you should actually wear a label telling other so. At the end of the day we are all human and should identity as such.

By *MisschiefxTV/TS
11 weeks ago

London

I'm ADHD Autistic, I have no issues with pronouns or the term 'cis'.

Personally I'm not interested in pronouns and would unsubscribe from gender all together if it was an option but I don't see an issue with respecting other people's pronouns if it's important to them.

Gender identity isn't binary but that's been the view we've tried to hammer into the society consciousness and the more we talk and normalise pronouns and terms like 'cis' the more we unpick that. People don't like change though and so will reject it when it happens because change is uncomfortable.

By *ortyairCouple
11 weeks ago

Wallasey

"I'm ADHD Autistic, I have no issues with pronouns or the term 'cis'.

Personally I'm not interested in pronouns and would unsubscribe from gender all together if it was an option but I don't see an issue with respecting other people's pronouns if it's important to them.

Gender identity isn't binary but that's been the view we've tried to hammer into the society consciousness and the more we talk and normalise pronouns and terms like 'cis' the more we unpick that. People don't like change though and so will reject it when it happens because change is uncomfortable."

It's not change though. Cis is just a nonsensical prefix.

If a woman is a female who identifies as such because she was born female and a Cis woman is a female who identifies as such because she was born female, then Cis is a redundant part of the description.

What does Cis bring to the party? Nothing.

Can anyone explain why it's a more accurate description than saying woman for a woman?

Mrs x

By *andyfloss2000Woman
11 weeks ago

ashford

I'm a cis woman and happy with that ! X

By *ortyairCouple
11 weeks ago

Wallasey

"I'm a cis woman and happy with that ! X"
When did you know you were a Cis woman? X

By *rPunxMan
11 weeks ago

Hull

I'd like to imagine that I'm the omnipresent overlord of everything but intact I'm a normal human being. But under current societal standards if I bitched and moaned enough about my basic rights to be who I want to be then I would be accepted instead of the correct fact that I had some form of mental issues and would be helped to accept reality. As with all identity / dysmorphia issues we don't encourage them. I mean you wouldn't agree with someone who was anorexic that they are overweight and need to go on a diet would you?

By *ea monkeyMan
11 weeks ago

Manchester (he/him)

"I'm ADHD Autistic, I have no issues with pronouns or the term 'cis'.

Gender identity isn't binary but that's been the view we've tried to hammer into the society consciousness and the more we talk and normalise pronouns and terms like 'cis' the more we unpick that. People don't like change though and so will reject it when it happens because change is uncomfortable."

This

By *iberius61Man
11 weeks ago

Pontefract

Necessary? I'm not sure anyone ever defined it as necessary. The logic behind stating it is that it's easier for people to confirm they are 'standard' than to confirm they are not. There has been many historical issues that prevent people identifying as 'non standard'. The logic therefore was that it's easier for the majority to start the ball rolling, by normalising the stating of preferred pronoun use by stating they are cis. The thought was that this would them make it easier for non-cis people to indicate their preference.

Does it work? Honestly I've no idea, I've never seen any studies done, but I understand the reasoning behind it and it's not a great hardship for me to add he/him to my email signature.

By *adyKarmennTVTV/TS
11 weeks ago

Dublin

This is exactly how I think

By *erfHerder74Man
11 weeks ago

Greenock

People may tell you how to addresses their pronouns but it doesn’t mean you always will.

I’ve found if you learn to like or respect it will happen naturally and using their names is easier.

By *ortyairCouple
11 weeks ago

Wallasey

"Necessary? I'm not sure anyone ever defined it as necessary. The logic behind stating it is that it's easier for people to confirm they are 'standard' than to confirm they are not. There has been many historical issues that prevent people identifying as 'non standard'. The logic therefore was that it's easier for the majority to start the ball rolling, by normalising the stating of preferred pronoun use by stating they are cis. The thought was that this would them make it easier for non-cis people to indicate their preference.

Does it work? Honestly I've no idea, I've never seen any studies done, but I understand the reasoning behind it and it's not a great hardship for me to add he/him to my email signature."

So now I have to confirm I'm standard now. And the way to do that is to add a prefix to my definition, despite the 'old' definition of woman being universally acceptable for millennial.

Cis adds nothing, it's just a label that was thought up in 1994.

Anyone can chose to call themselves anything, I have no problem with that I just wished others would show the same respect. If it's not broken why change it.

If, using your terminology, someone who is not 'standard" has more of an obligation to state this not the other way round. So a man transitioning into woman is described accurately as a 'trans woman'. It's not the responsibility of someone who hasn't transitioned to establish this.

I've never been asked if I have transitioned, ever. Everyone I have met have assumed correctly that I'm a woman. Can I ask if you've ever been asked whether you've transitioned or, like me, others have assumed your identity correctly.

I've never been asked what my pronouns are either. This is an issue fir te minority of the world's population. As a decent person, I will suspend my belief in accurate grammatical rules and call them what they want to be called, no matter whether I believe in the sense of it.

Mrs x

By *inda May SimmonsTV/TS
11 weeks ago

hexham

"Who cares about labels. It's all about chemistry?"

Hang on I thought it was all about the boogie !

By *inda May SimmonsTV/TS
11 weeks ago

hexham

Oh and on a much more inclusive note, I totally agree with everything that’s been said on this thread

By *r Mrs FuckableCouple
11 weeks ago

Stoke

You can identify as a lampshade for all I care, just don't expect me to play along... Sorry, not sorry.

By *ansoffateMan
11 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

As do I, believe me. The number of times doctors have let my wife down over the years could fill a sodding book!"

I can say exactly the same as you, on that matter. Around 7 years of revolving door hospital admissions before she received appropriate diagnosis and treatment.

By *ansoffateMan
11 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

"Who cares about labels. It's all about chemistry?

Hang on I thought it was all about the boogie ! "

Blame it on the boogie.

By *rPunxMan
11 weeks ago

Hull

"You can identify as a lampshade for all I care, just don't expect me to play along... Sorry, not sorry. "

By *iberius61Man
11 weeks ago

Pontefract

"... someone who is not 'standard" has more of an obligation to state this not the other way round. So a man transitioning into woman is described accurately as a 'trans woman'. It's not the responsibility of someone who hasn't transitioned to establish this."

Yes, nobody said its a responsibility, right at the top, I said, nobody claims it's necessary. A cat and 4 kittens turned up in my stables a year ago. It wasn't my responsibility to feed them. All I'm saying is that it's easier for me to state that my pronouns are he/him. So why not. It's certainly easier than it was for me to feed the kittens (especially after the mom drew blood ) but again, why not? Do we really need something to be necessary, or 'our responsibility' before we do it? Maybe I shouldn't help an old lady with her bags, because it's not 'my responsibility'. It worried me when responsibility becomes a decision factor in our behaviour.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
11 weeks ago

ashford

"I'm a cis woman and happy with that ! XWhen did you know you were a Cis woman? X"

Can't remember!

By *ortyairCouple
11 weeks ago

Wallasey

"... someone who is not 'standard" has more of an obligation to state this not the other way round. So a man transitioning into woman is described accurately as a 'trans woman'. It's not the responsibility of someone who hasn't transitioned to establish this.

Yes, nobody said its a responsibility, right at the top, I said, nobody claims it's necessary. A cat and 4 kittens turned up in my stables a year ago. It wasn't my responsibility to feed them. All I'm saying is that it's easier for me to state that my pronouns are he/him. So why not. It's certainly easier than it was for me to feed the kittens (especially after the mom drew blood ) but again, why not? Do we really need something to be necessary, or 'our responsibility' before we do it? Maybe I shouldn't help an old lady with her bags, because it's not 'my responsibility'. It worried me when responsibility becomes a decision factor in our behaviour. "

Have you ever been misgendered? Has someone every asked you if you've transitioned? If they haven't then why feel the need to state your pronouns or use the prefix Cis. If you've never been one of these two things it would appear that the current, millenia old naming conventions are working for you. So why change? What benefit do you get from doing so?

I'm not saying don't respect others, their transitions or pro ound but for most people the prefix Cis is superfluous and redundant. Why state your pronouns if they already align with the existing ones for your gender?

Mrs x

By *ortyairCouple
11 weeks ago

Wallasey

[Removed by poster at 18/07/24 15:14:02]

By *ortyairCouple
11 weeks ago

Wallasey

"I'm a cis woman and happy with that ! XWhen did you know you were a Cis woman? X

Can't remember! "

Think we are close in age. So for the first 30 years of your life you didn't identify as Cis. So why now?

If I say I accepted that Cis was appropriate and meant you identify with your birth gender, you were already doing that when you called yourself a 'woman'.

So what happened for you to feel the need to add Cis to woman? Other than adding three more letters to a perfectly good description and it taking slightly longer to write nothing else has changed.

It's not useful.

Mrs x

By *iddlesticksMan
11 weeks ago

My nan’s spare room.

"Who cares about labels. It's all about chemistry?

Hang on I thought it was all about the boogie ! "

You can’t blame it on the boogie.

By *atnip make me purrWoman
11 weeks ago

Reading

Well let's just go for human then. Even more efficient.

By *ortyairCouple
11 weeks ago

Wallasey

"Well let's just go for human then. Even more efficient."
But you still need to make a distinction for the two sexes of humans.

Mrs x

By *CExeCouple
11 weeks ago

Lincoln/Exeter

Any approaches I get professionally from folks with pronouns in their bio get put straight into junk. I know they'll be a progressive pain in the arse and not worth bothering with.

I have several trans clients who are perfectly lovely and they don't feel the need to trumpet their pronouns and label people with the insulting CIS term.

By *r John WickMan
11 weeks ago

The Continental

I like Perry, Kevin the teenagers mate’s take on it.

“There’s only 2 types of people. There’s us…..and there’s wankers”

By *mileyculturebelfastMan
11 weeks ago

belfast

No it's not necessary. A woman is a woman.

By *mileyculturebelfastMan
11 weeks ago

belfast

"Any approaches I get professionally from folks with pronouns in their bio get put straight into junk. I know they'll be a progressive pain in the arse and not worth bothering with.

I have several trans clients who are perfectly lovely and they don't feel the need to trumpet their pronouns and label people with the insulting CIS term. "

Company I work for started all that pronoun rubbish. It is voluntary at the minute. I refuse to do it. If it becomes mandatory I will become she.

By *iberius61Man
11 weeks ago

Pontefract

"...Have you ever been misgendered? Has someone every asked you if you've transitioned? If they haven't then why feel the need to state your pronouns or use the prefix Cis..."

Ignoring for a minute that I already said that I don't feel a NEED to state it. But I work for a multinational company. Not everyone I deal with would guess that my preferred pronouns are he/his; certainly I deal with people on a daily basis that I have no idea on...if they dont state them. So I state mine. As I say, it's not necessary, but it removes the need to ask. And were I not Cis, then it would simply inform people of my preferred pronouns. It's really that simple, no ulterior motive, just relatively unimportant (to me) information.

Personally I'd prefer us to go back to the original wereman, wifman and leave man as the gender neutral, but I doubt I'd get much support for that ??

By *iberius61Man
11 weeks ago

Pontefract

"No it's not necessary. A woman is a woman. "

Interesting, do you have a definition of a woman? Actually woman is possibly the easiest as it seems to be the biological default, for humans at least...in appearance anyway, XY females look female, but they're kinda not really...although there are recorded instances of them giving birth. Far more ducks need to align to become a man.

By *ortyairCouple
11 weeks ago

Wallasey

"... someone who is not 'standard" has more of an obligation to state this not the other way round. So a man transitioning into woman is described accurately as a 'trans woman'. It's not the responsibility of someone who hasn't transitioned to establish this.

Yes, nobody said its a responsibility, right at the top, I said, nobody claims it's necessary. A cat and 4 kittens turned up in my stables a year ago. It wasn't my responsibility to feed them. All I'm saying is that it's easier for me to state that my pronouns are he/him. So why not. It's certainly easier than it was for me to feed the kittens (especially after the mom drew blood ) but again, why not? Do we really need something to be necessary, or 'our responsibility' before we do it? Maybe I shouldn't help an old lady with her bags, because it's not 'my responsibility'. It worried me when responsibility becomes a decision factor in our behaviour. "

I should have read your post more thoroughly before.

I find your take on the notion of responsibility, if not strange, is very selfish. When you say ' It worried me when responsibility becomes a decision factor in our behaviour'.

It must be wonderful to live a life free from responsibility, not allowing such to affect my decisions. However like everyone else on here I believe responsibility plays a massive part in the decisions people make.

Take those stray cats you mentioned. I can understand, with them being 'stray' you may not have responsibility for them. However if they were your pets you would be responsible for them. Any decision on your behalf to neglect them would find you in trouble. It's your 'responsibility' towards these animals that would surely affect your decisions.

The same would apply for your old lady analogy. Stranger equals no responsibility but if she was your elderly mother her safety would surely be the responsibility of a loving son.

Responsibility affects almost every aspect of my life. I feel it towards my hubby, friends, children and grandkids, this dictates the decisions I make in regard to them.

So going back to the topic. I as a woman, jumping into bed feel no responsibility to inform any possible playmate that I'm a woman. I'm not keeping anything from them, and it will become blatantly obvious that so.

However I believe that those who have transitioned, are responsible to any potential playmate to be 100% honest and upfront about this.

People deserve to know these things about those you are about to be intimate with. Even if the transition is so perfect that a partner wouldn't know, they should still be told. Otherwise you'd be removing the choice from that person.

So be responsible, remove all ambiguity and if a potential partner chooses not to carry on with the encounter better that than awkwardness, or something worse, afterwards.

Plenty of fish in the sea, there is someone for everyone.

So yes I do believe trans woman or trans men are responsible for highlighting this.

Mrs x

By *ortyairCouple
11 weeks ago

Wallasey

"No it's not necessary. A woman is a woman.

Interesting, do you have a definition of a woman? Actually woman is possibly the easiest as it seems to be the biological default, for humans at least...in appearance anyway, XY females look female, but they're kinda not really...although there are recorded instances of them giving birth. Far more ducks need to align to become a man."

Have you been misgendered before? I doubt it but it would be illuminating to know.

Mrs x

By *uzie69xTV/TS
11 weeks ago

Maidstone

"Company I work for started all that pronoun rubbish. It is voluntary at the minute. I refuse to do it. If it becomes mandatory I will become she. "

There is no need to be antagonistic. As Myriam Margolis said, if it makes them happy, I'll use whatever pronouns they prefer. Be kind.

Gender is not only Western. If you're called John or Jane, you don't need to put your pronouns preference because we know (because in this day of Hollywood and the internet, John or Jane is likely obvious world wide).

When I worked in a culturally diverse London Borough, we were asked if we wanted gender pronouns on our email signatures.

So I looked up the register of names and I found Dakarai, Aaguni, Zhao, Aoife, Bedwyr, Sky. Council employees have difficulty decided if they were male or female. So it became an optional policy.

So by all means say you're "she/ her / hers" but you are being childish.

11 weeks ago

I guess some people see women as including both cis and trans and therefore of you use women in lieu of cis women it down grades trans women.

The read across to autism doesn't quite work because of that. Maybe it would if you had "choose your sex" being:

Women

Man

Autistic Women

Autistic Man

By *essTTWoman
11 weeks ago

Birmingham

"Just show respect to each other and stop trying to over complicate things with 100 genders and silly terms."

A juxtaposition

By *essTTWoman
11 weeks ago

Birmingham

PS I'm sorry that sounds so crass, I didn't mean it to and I expect you want to reply and challenge it "

Jesus

By *idnightMischiefMan
11 weeks ago

London

It isn't an incorrect term, but I think it's unnecessary and used as part of the trendy multiple-gender fashion nonsense.

I'm also an aspie, but tend to use the terms neurodivergent vs neurotypical if I think it's relevant.

Interesting fact: Before the division of Palestine into Jordan and Israel, Jordan was known as Transjordan and the area we now call Israel/Palestine was sometimes referred to as Cisjordan.

By *AJMLKTV/TS
11 weeks ago

Burley

When talking directly to somebody, you don't use their pronouns, only really when you're talking to someone else about them. If a 6'6" person with a beard tells me that their name is Sandra, I'll call them Sandra. When referring to them, I would say "The person called Sandra said...." Other than that, no need to use he, she etc. The only one I refuse to use is "them/they" for an individual. For example, Sam Smith is a man. He is a bloody awful singer and I can't stand his screechy voice. It is as much my right to refer to him as he, as it is his right to ask to be referred to as "they".

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman
11 weeks ago

Carlisle usually

Deliberately using the wrong pronouns to spite someone is shitty.

Accidentally doing so because you perceived them as male or female based on their presentation happens. People who get shouty about that are shitty.

My pronouns for me are I/me. I don't really care what anyone else chooses to use for me. But then presenting as a cishet pretty white female I've never had a need to feel upset about someone trying to upset me with it

By *ortyairCouple
11 weeks ago

Wallasey

"I guess some people see women as including both cis and trans and therefore of you use women in lieu of cis women it down grades trans women.

The read across to autism doesn't quite work because of that. Maybe it would if you had "choose your sex" being:

Women

Man

Autistic Women

Autistic Man

"

I understand what you are saying, particularly in regards as some people seeing woman as including trans woman and woman.

But you are not acknowledging the vast majority of woman who don't believe that they are the same as trans woman.

Trans people have to go through a whole battery of procedures to transition into their preferred sex, involving chemical, psychological, and surgical procedures. Whilst most woman have done nothing from a transitional point of view.

No matter how much is done, trans woman are not the same as woman. It's not a down grading. For that to happen we'd have to be the same originally and a negative change would then have to happen to a trans woman to then be seen as down graded. Transition is actually a positive to those that want it. Celebrate it if you must, and rightly so but don't ask for us to accept you and call you by your chosen names but ignore us when we ask for the same respect. I'm a woman, not Cis anything, stop pushing this onto woman, the vast majority of whom don't want this prefix.

I've spent the majority of my life just being a woman before the term Cis was first used in 1994. Why would I decide to change now, particularly when, if I did decide to use it, it would mean exactly the same as what I was before.

So come on, I'll respect you, call you what you want but respect woman and stop referring to us as Cis. Think a lot of this is down to virtue signalling.

Mrs x

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

11 weeks ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"When talking directly to somebody, you don't use their pronouns, only really when you're talking to someone else about them. If a 6'6" person with a beard tells me that their name is Sandra, I'll call them Sandra. When referring to them, I would say "The person called Sandra said...." Other than that, no need to use he, she etc. The only one I refuse to use is "them/they" for an individual. For example, Sam Smith is a man. He is a bloody awful singer and I can't stand his screechy voice. It is as much my right to refer to him as he, as it is his right to ask to be referred to as "they". "

I saw a man stood at the side of the road earlier.

They were wearing a hat.

I could have complimented them on their hat but it was too hot to slow the car down and shout out of the window.

By *ivemealadybonerWoman
11 weeks ago

somewhere

I don't use pronouns, no one has ever asked me and I've never been in a situation where it has ever came up either.

When I talk on here, I tend to use "them/they/person" if describing a situation as I am conscious of changes that have gone on around me and I would rather try and stay respectful and the same with work, I am in a customer facing role and I have found myself in the past saying "the lady" or "your wife" but that is bad form on my part (unless the person has said "my wife") as I shouldn't just "assume" so I do try where possible to be respectful.

In regards to the word cis, if I was ever in a situation with a trans person and I was in a situation I had to disclose what kind of woman I was, I would use the word cis, like if they said they were trans but if it never came up, I wouldn't use it because to me, we are all just women? There shouldn't be any trans or cis in front of the term woman in my opinion (unless obviously got medical reasons etc, where biology might come into play when helping someone, I really hope that made sense?).

By *icolerobbieCouple
11 weeks ago

walsall

"When talking directly to somebody, you don't use their pronouns, only really when you're talking to someone else about them. If a 6'6" person with a beard tells me that their name is Sandra, I'll call them Sandra. When referring to them, I would say "The person called Sandra said...." Other than that, no need to use he, she etc. The only one I refuse to use is "them/they" for an individual. For example, Sam Smith is a man. He is a bloody awful singer and I can't stand his screechy voice. It is as much my right to refer to him as he, as it is his right to ask to be referred to as "they".

They were wearing a hat.

I could have complimented them on their hat but it was too hot to slow the car down and shout out of the window.

"

I thought you said a man, not men? Wasn’t he wearing a hat? Being too hot to slow down is no excuse for not complementing him?

Now, if you saw someone sneaking around in the shadows, you might report a possible burglar. You might say to the police that they were wearing dark clothes so you could not tell what they looked like.

English is awesome!

11 weeks ago

"I guess some people see women as including both cis and trans and therefore of you use women in lieu of cis women it down grades trans women.

Women

Man

Autistic Women

Autistic Man

I understand what you are saying, particularly in regards as some people seeing woman as including trans woman and woman.

But you are not acknowledging the vast majority of woman who don't believe that they are the same as trans woman.

Trans people have to go through a whole battery of procedures to transition into their preferred sex, involving chemical, psychological, and surgical procedures. Whilst most woman have done nothing from a transitional point of view.

No matter how much is done, trans woman are not the same as woman. It's not a down grading. For that to happen we'd have to be the same originally and a negative change would then have to happen to a trans woman to then be seen as down graded. Transition is actually a positive to those that want it. Celebrate it if you must, and rightly so but don't ask for us to accept you and call you by your chosen names but ignore us when we ask for the same respect. I'm a woman, not Cis anything, stop pushing this onto woman, the vast majority of whom don't want this prefix.

I've spent the majority of my life just being a woman before the term Cis was first used in 1994. Why would I decide to change now, particularly when, if I did decide to use it, it would mean exactly the same as what I was before.

So come on, I'll respect you, call you what you want but respect woman and stop referring to us as Cis. Think a lot of this is down to virtue signalling.

Mrs x"

tbh, I've seen very few cases where cis was used and have never would force it on someone. Id equally not force trans on describing someone.

There's an interesting line of science ATM that suggests there is a higher degree of correlation between a (cis) women and a trans women versus a trans women and a (cis) man. Given how important the brain is to identity, I can see us getting into sex equal genitals and gender equals brain. And as out minds make us human I can see why we'd use that as a way of classifying humans.

But like sexuality and indeed autism, I suspect there's more science to come to change views.

By *iberius61Man
11 weeks ago

Pontefract

"...Have you been misgendered before? I doubt it but it would be illuminating to know."

Not me no, but I did grow up with a girl who was intersex. Sadly I lost contact with her before I gained the biological knowledge that I have now, so I don't know the exact genetic make-up that she had.

For anyone interested in the topic there are a few interesting YouTube channels by interesx posters. A user called Blume is one of my favourite, but there are others.

By *AJMLKTV/TS
11 weeks ago

Burley

"When talking directly to somebody, you don't use their pronouns, only really when you're talking to someone else about them. If a 6'6" person with a beard tells me that their name is Sandra, I'll call them Sandra. When referring to them, I would say "The person called Sandra said...." Other than that, no need to use he, she etc. The only one I refuse to use is "them/they" for an individual. For example, Sam Smith is a man. He is a bloody awful singer and I can't stand his screechy voice. It is as much my right to refer to him as he, as it is his right to ask to be referred to as "they".

They were wearing a hat.

"

Who has so great about them hat those is wearing?

Words matter

By *atricia ParnelWoman
11 weeks ago

In a town full of colours

It's important to some people and I respect that, same as its not important to me and people should respect that too

Someone could identify as a chocolate covered teaspoon, live and let live is my take on it

By *inkyropecoupleCouple
11 weeks ago

carluke

Nowadays, it seems that we can be offended by anything nowadays - a bold statement, but unfortunately I do think this sometimes.

This can lead us to a state where people are worried about saying the wrong thing and that in turn can lead to second guessing and getting confused over what is the right (or even current) term to use, or worse just ignoring something because it’s changed or perceived to be too complicated to understand.

This doesn’t just apply to pronouns or genders, it can apply to ethnicity, disability - anything that can “group” a collection of people together.

Like everything in life, if you can have an open and honest conversation, understanding can be gained and problems overcome - it just takes patience from all parties and an open mind

By *andyfloss2000Woman
11 weeks ago

ashford

"I'm a cis woman and happy with that ! XWhen did you know you were a Cis woman? X

Can't remember! Think we are close in age. So for the first 30 years of your life you didn't identify as Cis. So why now?

If I say I accepted that Cis was appropriate and meant you identify with your birth gender, you were already doing that when you called yourself a 'woman'.

So what happened for you to feel the need to add Cis to woman? Other than adding three more letters to a perfectly good description and it taking slightly longer to write nothing else has changed.

It's not useful.

Mrs x"

I'm alot older than u lol! My eldest daughter is nearer your age! And as I say just makes things clearer to refer to myself as cis! I'm happy with that x

By *S chanel demarTV/TS
11 weeks ago

peterborough

"Any approaches I get professionally from folks with pronouns in their bio get put straight into junk. I know they'll be a progressive pain in the arse and not worth bothering with.

I have several trans clients who are perfectly lovely and they don't feel the need to trumpet their pronouns and label people with the insulting CIS term. "

I put many bios in the junk (blocked) usually with uncomfortable views

By *S chanel demarTV/TS
11 weeks ago

peterborough

"Deliberately using the wrong pronouns to spite someone is shitty.

Accidentally doing so because you perceived them as male or female based on their presentation happens. People who get shouty about that are shitty.

My pronouns for me are I/me. I don't really care what anyone else chooses to use for me. But then presenting as a cishet pretty white female I've never had a need to feel upset about someone trying to upset me with it "

There are many shitty people with ignorant views on fabswingers. Some in this chat.....

By *oubleswing2019Man
11 weeks ago

Colchester

"I don't use pronouns, no one has ever asked me and I've never been in a situation where it has ever came up either.

"

Same here.

I have found it quite easy to drop pronouns and just use a person's current/active name when referring to a that person.

The other thing I have found it quite easy to do is not think, "Is this persona male or female or something else". They are just a human, and what they wear or present as is of no significance to me personally.

Sure, it matters to them as that is part of their identity. But if they wear something to try and achieve a desired effect on me, it falls flat. I tune that signal out and ignore that manipulation.

By *ortyairCouple
11 weeks ago

Wallasey

Can't remember! Think we are close in age. So for the first 30 years of your life you didn't identify as Cis. So why now?

It's not useful.

Mrs x

I'm alot older than u lol! My eldest daughter is nearer your age! And as I say just makes things clearer to refer to myself as cis! I'm happy with that x"

You don't look your age then, if I can remember what I've seen on your profile.

I know you say it makes it clearer but I cannot see how. When did being a woman become less clear for you and why?

Mrs x

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
11 weeks ago

Stockport

If it wasn't tragic it would be hilarious, reading all the people on here that get so butt hurt about the existence of a prefix word that is not only perfectly valid English, but is also only used in order to bring clarity to intellectual discourse.

I don't use the phrase "people that are not left handed", I say right handed people.

I don't use the phrase "people who are not homosexual", I say heterosexual people.

I don't use the phrase "people who are not male", I say female people.

I don't use the phrase "people who are not blind", I say sighted people.

I don't use the phrase "people who are not transgender", I say cisgender people.

But if I don't need to differentiate between left handed and right handed people, I say "people".

If I don't need to differentiate between homosexual people and heterosexual people, I say "people".

If I don't need to differentiate between male people and female people, I say "people".

If I don't need to differentiate between blind people and sighted people, I say "people".

And if I don't need to differentiate between transgender people and cisgender people, I say "people".

Funnily enough though, it's mostly only the people that bitch about being referred to as cisgender, who are the ones that force me to say that I'm transgender. Who say that I'm trying to deceive them if I won't label myself as transgender. Who are the ones that insist that there must be differentiation between transgender and cisgender people.

But if you insist that I do have to distinguish in my language between people that are left handed and people that are not left handed, you know what? I'm going to use the word for the opposite of left, which is "right".

And I'm going to use the word for the opposite of homosexual, which is "heterosexual".

And I'm going to use the perfectly valid scientific prefix that has been around for several hundred years for the opposite of trans, which is "cis".

You don't like it? I didn't invent it. It's English, the language of the country where you live. If you live here, maybe learn the language?

By *ortyairCouple
11 weeks ago

Wallasey

"If it wasn't tragic it would be hilarious, reading all the people on here that get so butt hurt about the existence of a prefix word that is not only perfectly valid English, but is also only used in order to bring clarity to intellectual discourse.

I don't use the phrase "people that are not left handed", I say right handed people.

I don't use the phrase "people who are not homosexual", I say heterosexual people.

I don't use the phrase "people who are not transgender", I say cisgender people.

But if I don't need to differentiate between left handed and right handed people, I say "people".

If I don't need to differentiate between homosexual people and heterosexual people, I say "people".

If I don't need to differentiate between male people and female people, I say "people".

If I don't need to differentiate between blind people and sighted people, I say "people".

And if I don't need to differentiate between transgender people and cisgender people, I say "people".

Funnily enough though, it's mostly only the people that bitch about being referred to as cisgender, who are the ones that force me to say that I'm transgender. Who say that I'm trying to deceive them if I won't label myself as transgender. Who are the ones that insist that there must be differentiation between transgender and cisgender people.

But if you insist that I do have to distinguish in my language between people that are left handed and people that are not left handed, you know what? I'm going to use the word for the opposite of left, which is "right".

And I'm going to use the word for the opposite of homosexual, which is "heterosexual".

And I'm going to use the perfectly valid scientific prefix that has been around for several hundred years for the opposite of trans, which is "cis".

You don't like it? I didn't invent it. It's English, the language of the country where you live. If you live here, maybe learn the language?"

Or you could just say man or woman. There the opposite of fans men or trans woman using your logic. I respect what you want to be known as just show women or men the same courtesy and drop the Cis. Men and woman are English words dating way back, much longer than 1994.

And anyone who 'bitches' about this is not forcing you to call yourself anything but take some responsibility for calling yourself a 'trans woman', you had to transition to get to were you are. If you hadn't you'd still be living in a body you didn't identify with. You should celebrate it, you are a 'trans woman'.

Woman have not had to have anything done to them to be a women.

I remember when the names some people used back in the day, to describe people in the 'trans community' were horrible, hurtful and demeaning. Thankfully it's a lot better now. But knowing this and going through what you must have gone through to get here, you show a total lack of respect when insisting to call others by a name they don't identify with and are insulted by.

Why would you do that? The 'trans community" advocate for respect and tolerance, yet individuals within that community are blatantly disregarding this for other communities, people who identify, who actually are men and woman.

So what do you think it is, tragic or hilarious? I just find it sad. You've been able to transition, something that was impossible less than 100 years ago, you're community seems to be having the respect and tolerance you deserve and yet you behave contrary to the aims of the 'trans community". Can't people just be nice.

Mrs x

By *andyfloss2000Woman
11 weeks ago

ashford

"If it wasn't tragic it would be hilarious, reading all the people on here that get so butt hurt about the existence of a prefix word that is not only perfectly valid English, but is also only used in order to bring clarity to intellectual discourse.

You don't like it? I didn't invent it. It's English, the language of the country where you live. If you live here, maybe learn the language?"

xx

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
11 weeks ago

Stockport

You don't like it? I didn't invent it. It's English, the language of the country where you live. If you live here, maybe learn the language? Or you could just say man or woman. There the opposite of fans men or trans woman using your logic. I respect what you want to be known as just show women or men the same courtesy and drop the Cis. Men and woman are English words dating way back, much longer than 1994.

And anyone who 'bitches' about this is not forcing you to call yourself anything but take some responsibility for calling yourself a 'trans woman', you had to transition to get to were you are. If you hadn't you'd still be living in a body you didn't identify with. You should celebrate it, you are a 'trans woman'.

I remember when the names some people used back in the day, to describe people in the 'trans community' were horrible, hurtful and demeaning. Thankfully it's a lot better now. But knowing this and going through what you must have gone through to get here, you show a total lack of respect when insisting to call others by a name they don't identify with and are insulted by.

Why would you do that? The 'trans community" advocate for respect and tolerance, yet individuals within that community are blatantly disregarding this for other communities, people who identify, who actually are men and woman.

So what do you think it is, tragic or hilarious? I just find it sad. You've been able to transition, something that was impossible less than 100 years ago, you're community seems to be having the respect and tolerance you deserve and yet you behave contrary to the aims of the 'trans community". Can't people just be nice.

Mrs x"

Actually, I deliberately never used the words "cis women". I used the words "cisgender people", which is the correct term for "all the people that are not transgender". If I wanted to say "all people" I would use neither cis or trans prefixes.

According to your misuse of the English language, the opposite of "transgender people" would be just "people". Thus implying that transgender people are not in fact people, as your use of the word "people" would actually exclude transgender people.

I am a person, I am part of the people, I am transgender. The word "people" does not mean "all of the people that are not transgender", it means "all of the people".

In normal discourse I would have absolutely no need to refer to you as "cisgender". In normal discourse I only use the term to identify the group of people that are not transgender.

Funnily enough, the only people that regularly use the term "cis women", the only people that keep the term "cis" in the news, the only people constantly shouting that they are being called "cis" are.... cisgender people. It's a thing only because you have made it a thing. You are hurt by the use of a word that you are the only people regularly using.

Transgender people are a minority. Newspapers are not owned by transgender people. When the word "cis" appears in a newspaper, on the television, is spoken in parliament, it is not put there by a transgender person. It is put there by a cisgender person, making a big deal about how hurt they are by the use of the word "cis", that they have self-applied as a label.

Every one of these forum threads that bangs on about "cis"? Started by a cisgender person. Why do I have to talk about "cis"? Because I am responding on a thread that would not exist except for the existence of a cisgender person banging on about how awful it is that transgender people use the term cisgender, which they only have to because cisgender people keep starting arguments about it!

By *electableicecreamMan
11 weeks ago

The West

You don't like it? I didn't invent it. It's English, the language of the country where you live. If you live here, maybe learn the language? Or you could just say man or woman. There the opposite of fans men or trans woman using your logic. I respect what you want to be known as just show women or men the same courtesy and drop the Cis. Men and woman are English words dating way back, much longer than 1994.

Mrs x

Actually, I deliberately never used the words "cis women". I used the words "cisgender people", which is the correct term for "all the people that are not transgender". If I wanted to say "all people" I would use neither cis or trans prefixes.

According to your misuse of the English language, the opposite of "transgender people" would be just "people". Thus implying that transgender people are not in fact people, as your use of the word "people" would actually exclude transgender people.

I am a person, I am part of the people, I am transgender. The word "people" does not mean "all of the people that are not transgender", it means "all of the people".

In normal discourse I would have absolutely no need to refer to you as "cisgender". In normal discourse I only use the term to identify the group of people that are not transgender.

Funnily enough, the only people that regularly use the term "cis women", the only people that keep the term "cis" in the news, the only people constantly shouting that they are being called "cis" are.... cisgender people. It's a thing only because you have made it a thing. You are hurt by the use of a word that you are the only people regularly using.

Transgender people are a minority. Newspapers are not owned by transgender people. When the word "cis" appears in a newspaper, on the television, is spoken in parliament, it is not put there by a transgender person. It is put there by a cisgender person, making a big deal about how hurt they are by the use of the word "cis", that they have self-applied as a label.

Every one of these forum threads that bangs on about "cis"? Started by a cisgender person. Why do I have to talk about "cis"? Because I am responding on a thread that would not exist except for the existence of a cisgender person banging on about how awful it is that transgender people use the term cisgender, which they only have to because cisgender people keep starting arguments about it!"

This is bang on. Very well said

By *essTTWoman
11 weeks ago

Birmingham

" Every one of these forum threads that bangs on about "cis"? Started by a cisgender person. Why do I have to talk about "cis"? Because I am responding on a thread that would not exist except for the existence of a cisgender person banging on about how awful it is that transgender people use the term cisgender, which they only have to because cisgender people keep starting arguments about it!"

This part

By *octor WhenMan
11 weeks ago

GLASGOW

I think in day to day term I personally dont think we need to identify someone as a trans woman or man or a cis woman or man. I a trans woman is a woman.

From a medical stand point these terms are definitely needed, as there are conditions and diseases that would effect a trans man and a cis man differently. From a dating stand point its also necessary.

On the whole, I am happy to call anyone anything they want, it takes nothing from me and if it helps make another persons day 1% better then I am all for it.

I think its good yo try and remember for the majority of us, we are just all trying to making it through the day the best way we can. Less judgment and more empathy and understanding will go a long way.

By *naswingdressWoman
11 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

These discussions remind me of the fact that people were upset (long ago) by the term "heterosexual" because normal people don't need a term, only weirdos need a term.

This too will pass.

11 weeks ago

Barwell

People need to ask you if you're Trans gender?

By *etropolitainMan
11 weeks ago

Redworth Co Durham

Fuck Labels

You are what you are and if you don’t like it tough titties

By *naswingdressWoman
11 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

You don't like it? I didn't invent it. It's English, the language of the country where you live. If you live here, maybe learn the language?

People need to ask you if you're Trans gender? "

I've been misgendered. Not on purpose.

It's much faster to say "I'm cis" than to convey that indirectly. "I'm a woman" isn't specific enough.

Generally this is what words are for - shorthand concepts.

Post new Message to Thread