Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Rugby Fans and Football

Jump to newest

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

So throughout the Euros, I've seen a lot of threads on football with the inevitable comments deriding it and noticed a theme that it's commonly done by rugby fans.

As a fan of football, I think it looks like a massive inferiority complex but I'm genuinely curious as to why some rugby fans have such a disdain for football. If you're a fan of both sports, it'll be interesting to hear what you think too.

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *eordieJeansCouple
11 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Because football fans fight and rugby fans finger each other and drink pints of piss. They’re just two types of people that will never get along.

Reply privately

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

"Because football fans fight and rugby fans finger each other and drink pints of piss. They’re just two types of people that will never get along."

If they were to fight and then finger each other, surely some common ground can be found!

Reply privately

By *eordieJeansCouple
11 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

[Removed by poster at 17/07/24 19:58:18]

Reply privately

By *eordieJeansCouple
11 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

"Because football fans fight and rugby fans finger each other and drink pints of piss. They’re just two types of people that will never get along.

If they were to fight and then finger each other, surely some common ground can be found!"

The fingering would start another fight and then they’d be stuck in a vicious circle.

Reply privately

By *inkyfun2013Couple
11 weeks ago

lewisham

Soccer is corrupt - whether it's buying votes to stage the World Cup in a misogynistic desert or rolling round like you've been shot because someone's boot came within sight of your ankle. Rugby is still a sport with values, even if they are under threat.

Also rugby play is more varied. Soccer is just kick, head and run. Rugby has pass, run, tackle, ruck, maul, scrum, lineout (and an occasional header).

Reply privately

By *eordieJeansCouple
11 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

"Soccer is corrupt - whether it's buying votes to stage the World Cup in a misogynistic desert or rolling round like you've been shot because someone's boot came within sight of your ankle. Rugby is still a sport with values, even if they are under threat.

Also rugby play is more varied. Soccer is just kick, head and run. Rugby has pass, run, tackle, ruck, maul, scrum, lineout (and an occasional header). "

I’m not getting into the debate on which sport is better but football at the highest level is much more skilled game than rugby. Rugby was invented for the kids that couldn’t play football.

Reply privately

By *edeWoman
11 weeks ago

the abyss

I'm a rugby fan and not particularly fussed for football but if I was home I had the euros on. I don't have a problem with the game if it's good - I don't particularly like the often over dramatic falls to get a free kick etc.

Just play the game and make it good, then I'm happy

Reply privately

By *ools and the brainCouple
11 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

Well given the option to watch football or Rugby I'd choose to watch cycling

Reply privately

By *till gameMan
11 weeks ago

two doors down

Growing up in Glasgow its was always going to be football that I played and watched.

Rugby was for the posh boys

I do enjoy watching the rugby international games though

Reply privately

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

"Soccer is corrupt - whether it's buying votes to stage the World Cup in a misogynistic desert or rolling round like you've been shot because someone's boot came within sight of your ankle. Rugby is still a sport with values, even if they are under threat.

Also rugby play is more varied. Soccer is just kick, head and run. Rugby has pass, run, tackle, ruck, maul, scrum, lineout (and an occasional header). "

But would you have a go at golf and boxing for the same issues you've mentioned with the ferocity you have with football? A lot of it is about demand as well and if there was a demand for rugby in those countries, it would be naive to think teams and boards wouldn't go for it

Reply privately

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

"I'm a rugby fan and not particularly fussed for football but if I was home I had the euros on. I don't have a problem with the game if it's good - I don't particularly like the often over dramatic falls to get a free kick etc.

Just play the game and make it good, then I'm happy "

You'll find a lot of football agreeing with you on the diving. It's a shame it's part of the game because referees only really give something if they can see it could be serious, otherwise players would get actually get lumps kicked out of them

Reply privately

By *reeneyes40Man
11 weeks ago

cambridge

I played international schoolboy football. I now prefer to watch Rugby.

Football is too dishonest for me, the lack of respect for the referees and each other is poor and I find it a bit embarrassing. I played when this wasn’t as prevalent, we just didn’t talk back to referees 25 years ago.

Rugby is a complex team game requiring loads of skill in every position. Scrummaging is highly complex, even if it does look a bit like the fatties having a wrestle to the untrained eye

Reply privately

By *aitonelMan
11 weeks ago

Liverpool

Different sides of the same coin, that's all it is. It's tribal, and both sides are guilty of it.

If the roles were reversed and rugby was the "bigger'sport, football fans would be doing the exact same thing, trying to pull rugby down. I mean it happens as it is with some football fans anyway.

For some it's just friendly back and forth piss taking but others simply hate sports that are not theirs. However some of the worst bullying towards other sports and their fans I have witnessed have come from football fans. All the way from primary school to adult life. It's one of the most extreme forms of tribalism in the modern world and often for some cult levels of disillusion.

One is about more about power the other more about finnese. One is designed around full contact, the other is closer to semi contact.

Im a fan of neither to be honest, but both have their own things to admire in what they do. But when it comes down to it at a professional level I find rugby far more entertaining to watch compared to pro football players as a whole - the whole lie/cheat/steal theatrics and dramatics to gain an advantage are very off putting.

Like I said in a different thread I also have a dislike for the absolute laughable fickle outlook a lot (not all!!) football fans have when it comes to "support"

Reply privately

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

"Well given the option to watch football or Rugby I'd choose to watch cycling "

A true neutral. I like it

Reply privately

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

"Growing up in Glasgow its was always going to be football that I played and watched.

I do enjoy watching the rugby international games though"

I didn't know rugby was an elitist sport. There's definitely room for liking both as there is with any other sport though!

Reply privately

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

"I played international schoolboy football. I now prefer to watch Rugby.

Football is too dishonest for me, the lack of respect for the referees and each other is poor and I find it a bit embarrassing. I played when this wasn’t as prevalent, we just didn’t talk back to referees 25 years ago.

Rugby is a complex team game requiring loads of skill in every position. Scrummaging is highly complex, even if it does look a bit like the fatties having a wrestle to the untrained eye "

I get what you mean about the refs. I'm also a cricket fan and you never see players behave that way towards the umpires and unfortunately in football, there isn't enough of a deterrent. Would you say that most calls in rugby are more black and white?

I can't comment on tactics and skill as I'm sure both sports have their fair share.

Reply privately

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

"Different sides of the same coin, that's all it is. It's tribal, and both sides are guilty of it.

If the roles were reversed and rugby was the "bigger'sport, football fans would be doing the exact same thing, trying to pull rugby down. I mean it happens as it is with some football fans anyway.

For some it's just friendly back and forth piss taking but others simply hate sports that are not theirs. However some of the worst bullying towards other sports and their fans I have witnessed have come from football fans. All the way from primary school to adult life. It's one of the most extreme forms of tribalism in the modern world and often for some cult levels of disillusion.

One is about more about power the other more about finnese. One is designed around full contact, the other is closer to semi contact.

Im a fan of neither to be honest, but both have their own things to admire in what they do. But when it comes down to it at a professional level I find rugby far more entertaining to watch compared to pro football players as a whole - the whole lie/cheat/steal theatrics and dramatics to gain an advantage are very off putting.

Like I said in a different thread I also have a dislike for the absolute laughable fickle outlook a lot (not all!!) football fans have when it comes to "support" "

A very well balanced reply! I have to ask though, you mention the tribalism in football which I assume you mean by people following their teams and then mention the fans being fickle in their support. How can it be both as opposed to one or the other?

Reply privately

By *till gameMan
11 weeks ago

two doors down

"Growing up in Glasgow its was always going to be football that I played and watched.

I didn't know rugby was an elitist sport. There's definitely room for liking both as there is with any other sport though!"

It was back in the 70’s 80’s there was no school rugby teams apart from the fee paying schools

Reply privately

By *inky_couple2020Couple
11 weeks ago

North West

Rugby is a sport with values. Is it not misogynistic at all?

I wonder how you square these authoritative statements with the recent news that two French rugby players have been accused of "aggravated r@pe" and another player accused of wilfully destroying the contents of a woman's house back in 2021.

It's entirely as misogynistic as association football and there's as much nonsense said about the women's games of rugby (U and L) as are said about women's association football.

Reply privately

By *enrietteandSamCouple
11 weeks ago

Staffordshire

Both games are shite.

Bunch of fucking pussies these days.

I do enjoy typing soccer on the serious football threads though

Reply privately

By *ou only live onceMan
11 weeks ago

London

It's never been either/or for me. Played both at school (we had no choice), and still watch both now.

I follow football more closely and don't support a rugby club team in the same way, so I guess some rugby fans might argue I'm not a "real" fan, and that's fine by me.

I never really get why we need a comparison either. There's room for both, but I find it ridiculous when people seem to suggest football is easy. Any top footballer has got there through skill, hard work and dedication, like any sport at the elite level.

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

North West

"Both games are shite.

I do enjoy typing soccer on the serious football threads though "

^^^Wonky ball feeler

Reply privately

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

"Both games are shite.

I do enjoy typing soccer on the serious football threads though "

I should do this on rugby threads and ask how many touchdowns have been scored

Reply privately

By *enrietteandSamCouple
11 weeks ago

Staffordshire

"Both games are shite.

I should do this on rugby threads and ask how many touchdowns have been scored "

Yeah but that’s not the same.

Not the same at all.

Get out Joe.

You’ve really let yourself down.

Reply privately

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

"It's never been either/or for me. Played both at school (we had no choice), and still watch both now.

I follow football more closely and don't support a rugby club team in the same way, so I guess some rugby fans might argue I'm not a "real" fan, and that's fine by me.

I never really get why we need a comparison either. There's room for both, but I find it ridiculous when people seem to suggest football is easy. Any top footballer has got there through skill, hard work and dedication, like any sport at the elite level."

Exactly, being a fan of both should be as normal as being a fan of multiple other sports but I find the digs between football fans and rugby fans to mainly come from one side which is what intrigued me.

Reply privately

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

"Both games are shite.

Not the same at all.

Get out Joe.

"

You can't kick me out my own thread! You get out... Or politely leave. It's up to you

Reply privately

By *reggSausageMan
11 weeks ago

derby

Has anyone ever thought of the concept of following something and then thinking that because you follow it then it’s a superior sport is a simple waste of time, oh the balls the wrong shape or they fall over far too easily.

there is a possibility you will get more out of life if you merely watch the spectacle as is and witness people trying their level best to achieve something sometimes spectacular, sports men and women around the world expend time and energy trying to achieve something.

Listening to someone explain to me why ‘their ‘ sport is better is like a man trying to explain to a woman what pregnancy feels like, unless you do it yourself your opinion isn’t valid, the contrast between an armchair Alan shearer and an elite footballer is so vast, shall we compare the Roman gladiators to the modern day tv gladiators (fairies by comparison) because it’s ‘sport’ is darts a ‘sport’? How about skateboarding, that must be a sport because it’s in the olympics, you can guarantee there is less than 0.01 percent of people can achieve anything like stand upright on a skateboard, witness and admire all sports, some people try damn hard

Reply privately

By *enrietteandSamCouple
11 weeks ago

Staffordshire

"Both games are shite.

Not the same at all.

Get out Joe.

You can't kick me out my own thread! You get out... Or politely leave. It's up to you "

Ona serious note though, I’ve never been one to slag off the football for the sake of it.

The things that make my eyes roll about the sport are the same as any genuine football fanatic.

I find that those kinds of comments mainly come from people that know next to fuck all about either sport but feel safer and more comfortable pretending to be rugby as it’s generally played by the less athletically gifted.

Reply privately

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

"Ona serious note though, I’ve never been one to slag off the football for the sake of it.

The things that make my eyes roll about the sport are the same as any genuine football fanatic.

I find that those kinds of comments mainly come from people that know next to fuck all about either sport but feel safer and more comfortable pretending to be rugby as it’s generally played by the less athletically gifted.

"

I think you're absolutely right. I'm aware of a lot of the shortcomings of football so when they're used as an insult, it does feel a bit like low hanging fruit but I couldn't comment on rugby in the same way as I don't want to comment on a sport I know nothing about. Btw, pro rugby players being that big and being able to run the way they do is impressively athletic!

Reply privately

By *illy IdolMan
11 weeks ago

Midlands

I'm a fan of both, Joe.

Usually with Rugby fans they were dog shit at football and it's left a bad taste.

Reply privately

By *glyBettyTV/TS
11 weeks ago

About 3 feet away from the fence

Imagine having an inferiority complex about Rugby, a sport that's only taken seriously by about 6 countries, at best.

There's a reason why they have to call their world cup, the "Rugby World Cup", whilst the football world cup is simply "the world cup"

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

North West

"Imagine having an inferiority complex about Rugby, a sport that's only taken seriously by about 6 countries, at best.

There's a reason why they have to call their world cup, the "Rugby World Cup", whilst the football world cup is simply "the world cup" "

What about all the other world cups though? The cricket world cup? Hockey works cup? Basketball world cup? Etc. There's tons of 'em.

Reply privately

By *ancardiff7Man
11 weeks ago

Near Cowbridge

I've played and am a fan of both sports. There are pros and cons to each. In the interest of being brief I'll talk about what irritates me about them both.

Football - the diving, feigning injury and disrespect to the referee get on my nerves.

Rugby - the stop-start nature and disproportionate influence of a referee gets my goat.

Ultimately they're both great team sports and you can't say one is better than the other, they're just different.

Reply privately

By *glyBettyTV/TS
11 weeks ago

"Imagine having an inferiority complex about Rugby, a sport that's only taken seriously by about 6 countries, at best.

There's a reason why they have to call their world cup, the "Rugby World Cup", whilst the football world cup is simply "the world cup"

What about all the other world cups though? The cricket world cup? Hockey works cup? Basketball world cup? Etc. There's tons of 'em. "

And they all have something in common, they're all minority sports. I don't even think basketball fans care about their world cup. The Olympic basketball tournament is probably considered to be bigger.

Just went on Wikipedia, I think Yugoslavia have won the FIBA World Cup more times than the United States, which tells you everything you need to know about that cup

Reply privately

By *lynJMan
11 weeks ago

Morden

I didn't know rugby was an elitist sport. There's definitely room for liking both as there is with any other sport though!

It was back in the 70’s 80’s there was no school rugby teams apart from the fee paying schools "

That's not true. I played for my school rugby team in the early seventies. It was a state comprehensive and we played against many other schools in Kent.

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

North West

What about all the other world cups though? The cricket world cup? Hockey works cup? Basketball world cup? Etc. There's tons of 'em.

And they all have something in common, they're all minority sports. I don't even think basketball fans care about their world cup. The Olympic basketball tournament is probably considered to be bigger.

Just went on Wikipedia, I think Yugoslavia have won the FIBA World Cup more times than the United States, which tells you everything you need to know about that cup "

Yugoslavia ceased to exist in 1992.

Serbia is ranked 3rd in the FIBA rankings. The top ranked team doesn't always win the WC! In football, see: France, football WC winners and no. 2 ranked in 2018. Etc.

Reply privately

By *glyBettyTV/TS
11 weeks ago

Btw, the answer to the original question is social class... let's not dance around the obvious. It's been that way since the beginning of both sports. One is for the aristocrats, and the other is for the proletariat.

They don't even like rugby league, for similar reasons.

What I will say is RL is a less shit version of rugby, if such a thing exists.

At least they had the good sense to do away with that weird group hugging & groping the public school lot are into

Reply privately

By *glyBettyTV/TS
11 weeks ago

"Yugoslavia ceased to exist in 1992"

But that's exactly the point

The country who's domestic basketball league is worth trllions of dollars, are so indifferent to the fiba tournament that they haven't bothered to field a team strong enough to win it more times than a country that hasn't even existed for 30 years.

If the United States even remotely took that tournament seriously, they would win it every year it was played.

Basketball as a sport is nowhere near as competitive as football.

Reply privately

By *ancardiff7Man
11 weeks ago

Near Cowbridge

"Btw, the answer to the original question is social class... let's not dance around the obvious. It's been that way since the beginning of both sports. One is for the aristocrats, and the other is for the proletariat.

At least they had the good sense to do away with that weird group hugging & groping the public school lot are into "

Rugby is not a upper-middle class sport in South Wales or the West of England.

Reply privately

By *ensualMan
11 weeks ago

Sutton

Football (at a professional level) has always been entertainment and a sport aimed at mass viewing. Rugby (Union,) was a sport aimed at people who played rugby or who had retired from rugby which was why the rules were not explained on TV until recently (particularly the dark arts of the scrum). Rugby is now trying to attract non players as ticket buyers and it is less interesting for me.

As for misogyny both games have had players arrested for assault.

However structurally I believe rugby adapted to women players quicker than football. The last team I played for started a woman's team in the late 1990's.

The other difference is in union you don't separate the fans. I have sat in Twickenham intermingled with, Scots, French and Irish fans, and wandered around after the games. Not a hint of violence just singing and banter in pubs.

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
11 weeks ago

In addition, soccer players are young little skinny scrotes with barely the ability to string a complete sentence together.

Soccer players complain to the referee CONSTANTLY for fake injuries.

Whereas rugby players are noble, very strong, have a fascinating history, are well-educated and well-spoken and NEVER EVER talk back to the ref.

Plus rugby players are HOT.

And it's ten times more physical and also requires more teamwork and strategy than boring ass soccer.

Soccer is like pro-wrestling = FAKE

Rugby is a true man's sport (and women's... female rugby players don't get half the recognition as their male counterparts but they're very good).

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

"Football (at a professional level) has always been entertainment and a sport aimed at mass viewing. Rugby (Union,) was a sport aimed at people who played rugby or who had retired from rugby which was why the rules were not explained on TV until recently (particularly the dark arts of the scrum). Rugby is now trying to attract non players as ticket buyers and it is less interesting for me.

As for misogyny both games have had players arrested for assault.

However structurally I believe rugby adapted to women players quicker than football. The last team I played for started a woman's team in the late 1990's.

The other difference is in union you don't separate the fans. I have sat in Twickenham intermingled with, Scots, French and Irish fans, and wandered around after the games. Not a hint of violence just singing and banter in pubs.

"

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

"Btw, the answer to the original question is social class... let's not dance around the obvious. It's been that way since the beginning of both sports. One is for the aristocrats, and the other is for the proletariat.

At least they had the good sense to do away with that weird group hugging & groping the public school lot are into "

Speak for yourself, rugby league is Booooooo-ring.

And your dig at social class is nonsense. The current Ireland outhalf, who beat SA with a last second drop goal is from Skerries.

Nor exactly Blackrock College

Reply privately

By *till gameMan
11 weeks ago

two doors down

It was back in the 70’s 80’s there was no school rugby teams apart from the fee paying schools

That's not true. I played for my school rugby team in the early seventies. It was a state comprehensive and we played against many other schools in Kent."

I did say I grew up in Glasgow, west of Scotland was especially football 100%

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

North West

At least they had the good sense to do away with that weird group hugging & groping the public school lot are into

Rugby is not a upper-middle class sport in South Wales or the West of England. "

We live in prime rugby league territory and it's defo a working class game here.

Reply privately

By *ripfillMan
11 weeks ago

havant

I played rugby at a very senior level retired at 34

Loved it

My son was a county player my daughter a hockey fanatic

Both kids black belts second Dan, my son boxed

Our house was always sport mad

Football for me it’s a beautiful game , and I live to watch it so too I would watch Tiddly Winks too

Can not wait for the Olympics!!

I think if your a sports fan you can appreciate all sports

For me the ultimate is beach volleyball not sure how it’s played but that’s not important !

Rugby and football are great games which deserve equal recognition

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
11 weeks ago

henley on thames

"Because football fans fight and rugby fans finger each other and drink pints of piss. They’re just two types of people that will never get along."

Is that whet happened you when you went to a rugby match? Oh dear. Well, that’s not standard practice.

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
11 weeks ago

henley on thames

"I like both. I find it infuriaring when anyone knocks any professional sport... Just don't fucking watch it you bellends and ignore"

I once found myself on a train, where a group of supporters of a London club were patrolling with knives, “looking for a paddy to slice up”.

I’m supposed to “ignore” that?

The culture in football is toxic, and it’s not just an England problem.

Reply privately

By *luehairedcumslutCouple
11 weeks ago

St Neots

"I like both. I find it infuriaring when anyone knocks any professional sport... Just don't fucking watch it you bellends and ignore

I once found myself on a train, where a group of supporters of a London club were patrolling with knives, “looking for a paddy to slice up”.

The culture in football is toxic, and it’s not just an England problem. "

Say less

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
11 weeks ago

henley on thames

It was back in the 70’s 80’s there was no school rugby teams apart from the fee paying schools "

Have things changed at all?

I grew up in Dublin, and my experience in the 70’s / 80’s was similar (blackrock etc were the rugby schools), but it was different in other cities, and has changed beyond recognition in Dublin too, more schools playing rugby and lots more kids coming through clubs rather than big rugby schools.

For example, the guy playing fullback for Ireland at the weekend came through his local rugby club in Kildare rather than one of the big rugby schools.

Reply privately

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

"I'm a fan of both, Joe.

Usually with Rugby fans they were dog shit at football and it's left a bad taste."

That's what's odd to me. I've never been amazing at football or a lot of other sports but would never talk them down in terms of skill

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
11 weeks ago

henley on thames

"I like both. I find it infuriaring when anyone knocks any professional sport... Just don't fucking watch it you bellends and ignore

Say less "

I won’t be silenced by you. You might not like hearing about armed racial abuse, but it happened.

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
11 weeks ago

henley on thames

Speak for yourself, rugby league is Booooooo-ring.

And your dig at social class is nonsense. The current Ireland outhalf, who beat SA with a last second drop goal is from Skerries.

Nor exactly Blackrock College "

… and Osborne came through his local club in Naas. That’s more common in Ireland now, kids coming through local clubs rather than being the preserve of the big rugby schools.

And more crossover between rugby and GAA, for example a couple of Galway u18 footballers also bring on underage Ireland rugby teams. Again, lads who did not come through big rugby schools

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
11 weeks ago

henley on thames

There's a reason why they have to call their world cup, the "Rugby World Cup", whilst the football world cup is simply "the world cup" "

You mean The FIFA World Cup …

There are many “world cups” in many sports. Nothing to do with inferiority complex … a strange allegation to fire at rugby players and their supporters!

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
11 weeks ago

henley on thames

I didn't know rugby was an elitist sport. There's definitely room for liking both as there is with any other sport though!"

“Elitism” can be a localised experience.

Growing up in Dublin in the 70’s/ 80’s, rugby was almost exclusively the preserve of the big fee-paying schools. That was different in other parts of the country, like Galway, cork, Limerick.

Also, that dynamic is changed in the intervening years, with a lot more kids playing the game and joining local clubs.

But I can absolutely see how some people might have grown up seeing it as the posh kid’s sport, as that may have been the lay of the land in their area.

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
11 weeks ago

henley on thames

"So throughout the Euros, I've seen a lot of threads on football with the inevitable comments deriding it and noticed a theme that it's commonly done by rugby fans.

As a fan of football, I think it looks like a massive inferiority complex but I'm genuinely curious as to why some rugby fans have such a disdain for football. If you're a fan of both sports, it'll be interesting to hear what you think too."

Getting back you your original question, it must the first time I have ever seen rugby fans being accused of having an inferiority complex. The accusation is usually the exact opposite, arrogance and superiority.

I watch many sports, and enjoy going to sports events. This year I have been to the Rugby Champions Cup final, Wimbledon, Henley, am going to the Diamond League in London on Saturday, and going to Paris for the Olympics.

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

St Neots

Say less

I won’t be silenced by you. You might not like hearing about armed racial abuse, but it happened. "

say less, I've got you bruv

Reply privately

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

"Getting back you your original question, it must the first time I have ever seen rugby fans being accused of having an inferiority complex. The accusation is usually the exact opposite, arrogance and superiority.

I watch many sports, and enjoy going to sports events. This year I have been to the Rugby Champions Cup final, Wimbledon, Henley, am going to the Diamond League in London on Saturday, and going to Paris for the Olympics. "

Hope you enjoy the Olympics! I suppose it's because whenever I've seen negative comments, it's been one way which has been rugby fans saying the usual stuff about football. Personally, I think the arrogance and superiority is a mask for being annoyed that football is a more popular sport. But that's just my perspective.

Reply privately

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

Also rugby play is more varied. Soccer is just kick, head and run. Rugby has pass, run, tackle, ruck, maul, scrum, lineout (and an occasional header).

In addition, soccer players are young little skinny scrotes with barely the ability to string a complete sentence together.

Whereas rugby players are noble, very strong, have a fascinating history, are well-educated and well-spoken and NEVER EVER talk back to the ref.

And it's ten times more physical and also requires more teamwork and strategy than boring ass soccer.

Rugby is a true man's sport (and women's... female rugby players don't get half the recognition as their male counterparts but they're very good)."

This reads like a fan fiction... And not even a good one

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
11 weeks ago

henley on thames

Say less

I won’t be silenced by you. You might not like hearing about armed racial abuse, but it happened.

say less, I've got you bruv"

Looks like you need to be reminded of the forum rules, and the need to be respectful to other posters.

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

St Neots

[Removed by poster at 18/07/24 09:15:10]

Reply privately

By *lutsfunMan
11 weeks ago

bedford

I have found rugby men to be very good in bed

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

I watch both rugby league and football

What annoys me in football that players go down has if they have been shot by a sniper with minimal contact

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

Rugby is for real men with real skill, football is for small boys who prance around and fall over. I know which ones I'd rather have in bed...

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

North West

"Rugby is for real men with real skill, football is for small boys who prance around and fall over. I know which ones I'd rather have in bed... "

Small boys?

Yet again, no acceptance of football (or rugby) as a sport for everyone. No matter what your gender. Ah well.

Reply privately

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

"I watch both rugby league and football

What annoys me in football that players go down has if they have been shot by a sniper with minimal contact "

I've mentioned this above and agree with you about that being annoying but unfortunately, they probably have to play it up for genuine fouls to be called, otherwise we'll only see fouls being called for serious tackles that puts the players at the risk of injury.

Reply privately

By *r John WickMan
11 weeks ago

The Continental

"Rugby is for real men with real skill, football is for small boys who prance around and fall over. I know which ones I'd rather have in bed... "

What is a ‘real man’?

Reply privately

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

"Rugby is for real men with real skill, football is for small boys who prance around and fall over. I know which ones I'd rather have in bed...

Small boys?

Yet again, no acceptance of football (or rugby) as a sport for everyone. No matter what your gender. Ah well. "

Gotta love the body shaming of footballers as well

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

North West

"Rugby is for real men with real skill, football is for small boys who prance around and fall over. I know which ones I'd rather have in bed...

Small boys?

Yet again, no acceptance of football (or rugby) as a sport for everyone. No matter what your gender. Ah well.

Gotta love the body shaming of footballers as well "

Yep. From what I've seen, footballers have to be in incredible shape and have their fitness strictly monitored etc.

Reply privately

By *r John WickMan
11 weeks ago

The Continental

Small boys?

Yep. From what I've seen, footballers have to be in incredible shape and have their fitness strictly monitored etc. "

Exactly.

Remember the shonky treatment of Luke Shaw after he came from preseason a couple of kg ‘overweight’

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

What annoys me in football that players go down has if they have been shot by a sniper with minimal contact

I've mentioned this above and agree with you about that being annoying but unfortunately, they probably have to play it up for genuine fouls to be called, otherwise we'll only see fouls being called for serious tackles that puts the players at the risk of injury."

Lol exactly men v boys

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

Small boys?

Yep. From what I've seen, footballers have to be in incredible shape and have their fitness strictly monitored etc. "

No football player will match a rugby guy in any fitness matrix! Naked zero comparison! Again in bed only one I'm picking is a rugby guy!

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

Small boys?

Gotta love the body shaming of footballers as well "

Simpler one, rugby players attitudes towards refs v football players treatment towards refs can be passed onto how they would treat their partners too. Gentlemen v thugs comes to mind! After any game it's all into the bar to have a joke, all is left on the pitch, both sets of fans can exist with respect in the same bar and nobody fighting. Enough said case closed

Reply privately

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

I've mentioned this above and agree with you about that being annoying but unfortunately, they probably have to play it up for genuine fouls to be called, otherwise we'll only see fouls being called for serious tackles that puts the players at the risk of injury.

Lol exactly men v boys "

It was meant to point out the lack of protection from refs but sure, twist it to your own agenda

Reply privately

By *glyBettyTV/TS
11 weeks ago

You mean The FIFA World Cup …

There are many “world cups” in many sports. Nothing to do with inferiority complex … a strange allegation to fire at rugby players and their supporters! "

No, I mean the world cup.

Say the "world cup" in real life, and 99% of the worlds human population will automatically assume you're talking about Association Football. That's the fact of the matter

Reply privately

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

Small boys?

Simpler one, rugby players attitudes towards refs v football players treatment towards refs can be passed onto how they would treat their partners too. Gentlemen v thugs comes to mind! After any game it's all into the bar to have a joke, all is left on the pitch, both sets of fans can exist with respect in the same bar and nobody fighting. Enough said case closed"

A majority of football fans get along just fine. But of course, you would go to the extreme scale of it. Likening treatment of refs to treatment of partners is one of the worst cases of false equivalence I've seen. Oh but sorry you said case closed so that obviously means you're right...

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

Small boys?

Yep. From what I've seen, footballers have to be in incredible shape and have their fitness strictly monitored etc.

Exactly.

Remember the shonky treatment of Luke Shaw after he came from preseason a couple of kg ‘overweight’

"

Proven my point for me! Rugby guys are all built differently and perform different duties, more acceptance of body shapes, heights and talent than football.

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

Small boys?

Simpler one, rugby players attitudes towards refs v football players treatment towards refs can be passed onto how they would treat their partners too. Gentlemen v thugs comes to mind! After any game it's all into the bar to have a joke, all is left on the pitch, both sets of fans can exist with respect in the same bar and nobody fighting. Enough said case closed

A majority of football fans get along just fine. But of course, you would go to the extreme scale of it. Likening treatment of refs to treatment of partners is one of the worst cases of false equivalence I've seen. Oh but sorry you said case closed so that obviously means you're right..."

Go look up the volume of fines in the European cup, from football fines, compare the fines or police required for a soccer game anywhere, even local towns! Correct case closed.

Reply privately

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

"Go look up the volume of fines in the European cup, from football fines, compare the fines or police required for a soccer game anywhere, even local towns! Correct case closed. "

So basically nothing to do with your original point? I'm not sure how it's proportioned but with football being the bigger and more popular sport, more police and crowd control is obviously needed and with more people, come more dickheads

Reply privately

By *r John WickMan
11 weeks ago

The Continental

Small boys?

Simpler one, rugby players attitudes towards refs v football players treatment towards refs can be passed onto how they would treat their partners too. Gentlemen v thugs comes to mind! After any game it's all into the bar to have a joke, all is left on the pitch, both sets of fans can exist with respect in the same bar and nobody fighting. Enough said case closed"

Gentlemen……eye gouging, biting, punchups on the field……….thats gentlemanly?

Reply privately

By *ripfillMan
11 weeks ago

havant

Interesting comment above … in Rugby a ref is commands respect right from the get go in Mini rugby to internationals I have even seen refs tell parents to shut up on the side line

Refs I have seen on a handful only of times at amateur level get such unnecessary abuse it’s awful

Often at junior level the refs give up their time to ref free of charge

But the discipline of respect starts at mini level

Parents who can not accept defeat in football I see are worse than in rugby

Respect and discipline is key and to loose with dignity and sportsmanship is a fact of life

Reply privately

By *glyBettyTV/TS
11 weeks ago

Rugby is a true man's sport (and women's... female rugby players don't get half the recognition as their male counterparts but they're very good).

"

If "fab-straight" was a sport, it would be Rugby Union.

"Hi, I'm going to prace around a muddy field in short shorts and platonically, sticky my head near your arse & grab your nut sack, then later on in the bar we're all going to wank into a pint glass and force someone to drink it as 'banter', but we're totally not gay"

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

Small boys?

Gentlemen……eye gouging, biting, punchups on the field……….thats gentlemanly? "

And left on the field, and laugh about it afterwards, just like boxing or combat sports, no riots at rugby is their, can supports walk past the opposition alone safely!

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

North West

Small boys?

No football player will match a rugby guy in any fitness matrix! Naked zero comparison! Again in bed only one I'm picking is a rugby guy! "

I will disagree on the fitness front and I am very confident that performance in bed is NOT a category monitored by the fitness coaches at football clubs. It's irrelevant.

Reply privately

By *mily36CWoman
11 weeks ago

Bedford (or anywhere beginning with B..!?)

You get to watch 30 hardened men instead of 22 spoilt boys

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

"You get to watch 30 hardened men instead of 22 spoilt boys "

Love this

Reply privately

By *amsevenMan
11 weeks ago

cork

There's more to football than the Premier league. Gave up watching it years ago. I'm not living in England so I'm coming at this from a different view point. Give me a league of Ireland game any day before a Premier league game. If fellas fell about in Irish football game as the do in PL they would be laughed out the gate and ridiculed. Im not saying it a better quality league obviously. Pep guardiola ruined football with his keep ball crap. Just put it in the box, not pass it back to the keeper ffs. I attend football games but not rugby games. However I never miss a munster rugby game or ireland game on the tele. Saying one sport has skill and the other doesn't is a load of childish crap too.

Reply privately

By *glyBettyTV/TS
11 weeks ago

"You get to watch 30 hardened men instead of 22 spoilt boys "

I prefer to say it's 30 public school alumni in hot pants, moving slowly across a bog.

It's basically the Eton Wall Game, sans the wall. It's an absolutely appalling spectacle. It's easy to see why it's not a popular sport.

Reply privately

By *glyBettyTV/TS
11 weeks ago

Google the Eton Wall Game. It's basically Rugby played up against a wall played once a year by Eton students. Nobody moves very much & almost nobody scores. I think there's been more deaths in the sport over the last 100 years than there has actually been goals scored.

Reply privately

By *ORDERMANMan
11 weeks ago

wrexham

I'm surprised no one has used the age old adage to differentiate the difference between between rugby and football...

Which goes something along the lines of....

Rugby is a game for hooligans played by gentlemen..

Football is a game for gentlemen played by hooligans...

In rugby violence was on the pitch football off it..

Yet the comerarderie was far better off the pitch

Reply privately

By *ynamicnatureMan
11 weeks ago

Doncaster

G'day OP,

Sport wise, I grew up playing league and I love watching league and union. It's a contest between men behaving like men.

As for football I barely new it existed until I moved to the UK and just find it boring (I know I'm in the minority)

Football is a very skillful game but it's played by men behaving like babies.

I've been running sports venues all up and down the UK for decades and noted the following about the fans in general:

Union fans,

A good mix of men and women come to watch, which seems to brighten the mood.

the fans of both countries can have a drink and have a laugh with eachother all day long. You get the odd dickhead but it's pretty rare.

I used to stand on the door at a venue in Pompey with a box of tissues and hand them out to everyone if England lost, it was hilarious,

Football fans,

Very male dominated, the general mood feels dark and tense.

Zero chance of fans from opposing teams having a drink and laugh with eachother (they seem to genuinely hate eachother, where's the fun in that?)

The fans spit their dummies out and behave just like their heroes on the pitch if any decision doesn't go their way. Often throwing the plastic pints across the venue or at the TV's.

Theirs a good reason why their's always a heavy police presence around the bigger games, and that's because the fans in general are aggressive.

The above is just my opinion on both sets of fans based in my experience with both groups.

Sorry for the long post

Reply privately

By * and R cple4Couple
11 weeks ago

swansea

I'm a fan of both and the main difference to me is the fans.

I've attended 6 nations games against England and we've sat and d*unk beer and laughed and joked all light hearted you definitely couldn't do that in football.

The football fans do chants that are disgusting and nothing is off limits and theirs constant violence.

My nana used to live by the old vetch field (Swansea old home ground) and we had to put bars on her windows in the end especially when we were playing Cardiff I would like to say that has improved i suppose theirs more police presence but the violence is still there sadly.

Reply privately

By *he love catsCouple
11 weeks ago

South Wales

I'm not a fan of either I much prefer boxing and motorsports, still I don't get this either, one of the men I used to train with was a Cardiff city supporter and absolutely hated anyone who was into rugby.

Reply privately

By *ost SockMan
11 weeks ago

West Wales and Cardiff

I prefer football these days, but grew up watching rugby (definitely not an upper class sport in Wales!).

I do think rugby fans can point to the fact that there is no segregation. England and Scotland fans sit together - imagine that at the football.

There’s no allocating pubs to fanbases, less songs aimed opposing fans etc.

Those are massive reasons why rugby fans can claim superiority.

That said, it does mask bad behaviour by fans. I’ve been abused by posh English fans at Twickers a few times, and seen quite a bit of bad behaviour from Wales fans, particularly when England are playing. It feels more isolated and less coordinated though, largely d*unken nonsense.

I do find major rugby matches a real depressing experience these days - largely d*unken “theatre-goers” with minimal atmosphere. I’ve found far more pleasure watching Wales football since the Cardiff/Swansea hooliganelement have been largely overtaken- a younger, more engaged, more politically active fanbase that is very respectful to the countries it visits overseas.

So I can perfectly see why rugby thinks it’s better, but the reality is more complicated .

Reply privately

By *ost SockMan
11 weeks ago

West Wales and Cardiff

"I'm not a fan of either I much prefer boxing and motorsports, still I don't get this either, one of the men I used to train with was a Cardiff city supporter and absolutely hated anyone who was into rugby."

People think of all South Wales as being rugby, but there’s loads of antipathy to the sport amongst Cardiff and Swansea fans.

Some of it revolves around the bootcut jeans and brogues (“sheux”) look sported by many rugby fans .

Reply privately

By *glyBettyTV/TS
11 weeks ago

"I'm not a fan of either I much prefer boxing and motorsports, still I don't get this either, one of the men I used to train with was a Cardiff city supporter and absolutely hated anyone who was into rugby.

People think of all South Wales as being rugby, but there’s loads of antipathy to the sport amongst Cardiff and Swansea fans.

Some of it revolves around the bootcut jeans and brogues (“sheux”) look sported by many rugby fans ."

It's like a hipster counter-culture, with completely unjustified delusions of grandeur

These people watch 5 mins of a group of men locked in a scrum, the ball pops out only for someone else to hoof the thing 60 yards into touch.

And people applaud

It's so odd...

Reply privately

By *aitonelMan
11 weeks ago

Liverpool

"Different sides of the same coin, that's all it is. It's tribal, and both sides are guilty of it.

Like I said in a different thread I also have a dislike for the absolute laughable fickle outlook a lot (not all!!) football fans have when it comes to "support"

A very well balanced reply! I have to ask though, you mention the tribalism in football which I assume you mean by people following their teams and then mention the fans being fickle in their support. How can it be both as opposed to one or the other?"

The tribalism is projected outwardly, towards opposition and none fans. The fickleness, inward towards the players and managers itself.

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
11 weeks ago

henley on thames

"You get to watch 30 hardened men instead of 22 spoilt boys

I prefer to say it's 30 public school alumni in hot pants, moving slowly across a bog.

It's basically the Eton Wall Game, sans the wall. It's an absolutely appalling spectacle. It's easy to see why it's not a popular sport."

… again, the assumption that rugby is only played by public schools.

If you don’t like the game, that’s absolutely fine, you do t have to. But keep it realistic

Reply privately

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

I think it's been interesting hearing the different viewpoints from rugby fans, some of which have been very well articulated and civil.

Unfortunately, I have a pretty negative view of rugby fans as I find some of them in my experience just can't let football fans enjoy it without saying making it a competition between the sports, especially if they wouldn't do the same with cricket, or golf, or tennis etc.

Reply privately

By *glyBettyTV/TS
11 weeks ago

[Removed by poster at 19/07/24 02:24:13]

Reply privately

By *glyBettyTV/TS
11 weeks ago

It's basically the Eton Wall Game, sans the wall. It's an absolutely appalling spectacle. It's easy to see why it's not a popular sport.

If you don’t like the game, that’s absolutely fine, you do t have to. But keep it realistic "

I'll level with you. I'm not here to try and find a common understanding or reach some kind of philosophical compromise, I'm just here to shit on rugby union make no bones about that

If is ok to say "22 spoilt boys" in this thread (and it is, it's just banter) the it's ok for me to say whatever i want to say about egg chasing

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

The culture in football is toxic, and it’s not just an England problem. "

Reply privately

By *un Rugby playerMan
11 weeks ago

north London / herts

I played and coached rugby for many years. I played both sports ... chose Rugby . My sons did the same but I have been on many a touch line and seen the differences in the two games .

Firstly as a child, what you learn in football definitely makes you a better rugby player and visa versa .

Football players are a different build because they have to cover much more ground as the game is less stop start . If you watch a premier game live you will see players working off the ball constantly, so they can't afford to have excess weight - rather like long distance runners .

Rugby is about short explosive spurts so much more fast twitch muscle required and bulk .

So the sports are different physically no question but they are both fundamentally great skill full games .

Now the big difference is the attitude . There is no doubt that Englands football players are individually up with the rest of the world . However how they apply that skill is questionable .

Going back to junior sport if you can influence the game by hoodwinking the ref you and your side stand a reasonable chance of success because of that strategy - then that becomes part of your dna . (BTW this is also called cheating ! )

In rugby this is stamped on very early - so it is not an option . You play who is in front of you and you never talk back to the ref or try to influence the game by pretending you are injured ; if you do you're off no questions !

To me it's a simple way of making football more honest ; player fakes an injury - off for 10 mins . Player swears or argued with the ref - 20 mins off and so on .

The game will change,for the better, over night

Rugby has its own problems mainly through safety , that's for another day .....

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
11 weeks ago

henley on thames

If you don’t like the game, that’s absolutely fine, you do t have to. But keep it realistic

I'll level with you. I'm not here to try and find a common understanding or reach some kind of philosophical compromise, I'm just here to shit on rugby union make no bones about that

If is ok to say "22 spoilt boys" in this thread (and it is, it's just banter) the it's ok for me to say whatever i want to say about egg chasing "

There is another way …

Reply privately

By *enrietteandSamCouple
11 weeks ago

Staffordshire

Crouch.

Touch.

Pause.

Reply privately

By *inkyfun2013Couple
11 weeks ago

lewisham

"Rugby is a sport with values. Is it not misogynistic at all?

I wonder how you square these authoritative statements with the recent news that two French rugby players have been accused of "aggravated r@pe" and another player accused of wilfully destroying the contents of a woman's house back in 2021.

It's entirely as misogynistic as association football and there's as much nonsense said about the women's games of rugby (U and L) as are said about women's association football. "

I didn't say that soccer was misogynistic (or that rugby wasn't). I referred to the "misogynistic desert" (Qatar) in which the last World Cup was played as a result of bribery.

Reply privately

By *oxy jWoman
11 weeks ago

somerset

we are massive football and rugby fans union and league we love nearly all sports with the exception of golf maybe we dont watch our tv unless sports are on

Reply privately

By *lue RascalMan
11 weeks ago

Cheshire Liverpool Manchester

I’m fortunate enough to have been brought up supporting shite teams in both sports. Everton will always be my number one but my family are all die hard Warrington Wolves fans so I’ve grown up watching and playing both. I’ve always swayed more towards football though simply because I’m better at it. Well I think I am anyway

Reply privately

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

"I’m fortunate enough to have been brought up supporting shite teams in both sports. Everton will always be my number one but my family are all die hard Warrington Wolves fans so I’ve grown up watching and playing both. I’ve always swayed more towards football though simply because I’m better at it. Well I think I am anyway "

We need to do a Fab 5-a-side at some point. I'm really interested in knowing how good some Fabbers are

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

North West

"I’m fortunate enough to have been brought up supporting shite teams in both sports. Everton will always be my number one but my family are all die hard Warrington Wolves fans so I’ve grown up watching and playing both. I’ve always swayed more towards football though simply because I’m better at it. Well I think I am anyway "

I win on the shite team front!

Reply privately

By *enrietteandSamCouple
11 weeks ago

Staffordshire

"I’m fortunate enough to have been brought up supporting shite teams in both sports. Everton will always be my number one but my family are all die hard Warrington Wolves fans so I’ve grown up watching and playing both. I’ve always swayed more towards football though simply because I’m better at it. Well I think I am anyway

We need to do a Fab 5-a-side at some point. I'm really interested in knowing how good some Fabbers are "

5-a-side in rugby is called 7’s Joe.

Did you know?

Reply privately

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

"I’m fortunate enough to have been brought up supporting shite teams in both sports. Everton will always be my number one but my family are all die hard Warrington Wolves fans so I’ve grown up watching and playing both. I’ve always swayed more towards football though simply because I’m better at it. Well I think I am anyway

We need to do a Fab 5-a-side at some point. I'm really interested in knowing how good some Fabbers are

Did you know?"

I didn't know that! But can we make it tag rugby so there's no contact

Reply privately

By *inkyfun2013Couple
11 weeks ago

lewisham

"

If "fab-straight" was a sport, it would be Rugby Union.

"Hi, I'm going to prace around a muddy field in short shorts and platonically, sticky my head near your arse & grab your nut sack, then later on in the bar we're all going to wank into a pint glass and force someone to drink it as 'banter', but we're totally not gay" "

What's so wrong with being gay?

Reply privately

By *enrietteandSamCouple
11 weeks ago

Staffordshire

Did you know?

I didn't know that! But can we make it tag rugby so there's no contact "

We’d be better off playing 5-a-side, at least I could go in goal or something.

Tag rugby kind of eliminates my skill set…

Reply privately

By *lue RascalMan
11 weeks ago

"We need to do a Fab 5-a-side at some point. I'm really interested in knowing how good some Fabbers are "

I’d be down for that. I used to play right wing for my club but I’m not as nippy as I used to be. I’d be happier at right back nowadays like a prime Tony Hibbert

Reply privately

By *eyond PurityCouple
11 weeks ago

Lincolnshire

We need to do a Fab 5-a-side at some point. I'm really interested in knowing how good some Fabbers are "

I’d be up for that…still play 7 a side now and can kick/keep up with the youngsters

K

Reply privately

By *agatoXXXMan
11 weeks ago

Mordor

I'm a rugby fan, and I'm not getting any fingering. I blame the wimmin of fab.

Reply privately

By *glyBettyTV/TS
11 weeks ago

I find it hilarious that one of the things that was said by rugby fans in favour of rugby, was the prospect of getting to watch "30 hardened men"

And you just know, that was typed by a man

Reply privately

By *lue RascalMan
11 weeks ago

"I win on the shite team front! "

Yeah this is one thing I don’t mind losing Still better than the red shite

Reply privately

By *lue RascalMan
11 weeks ago

I’d be up for that…still play 7 a side now and can kick/keep up with the youngsters

K"

You’re getting two footed straight away

Reply privately

By *eyond PurityCouple
11 weeks ago

Lincolnshire

"We need to do a Fab 5-a-side at some point. I'm really interested in knowing how good some Fabbers are

I’d be down for that. I used to play right wing for my club but I’m not as nippy as I used to be. I’d be happier at right back nowadays like a prime Tony Hibbert "

Primes about 50p a bottle now - just sayin

Reply privately

By *eliusMan
11 weeks ago

Henlow

"So throughout the Euros, I've seen a lot of threads on football with the inevitable comments deriding it and noticed a theme that it's commonly done by rugby fans.

As a fan of football, I think it looks like a massive inferiority complex but I'm genuinely curious as to why some rugby fans have such a disdain for football. If you're a fan of both sports, it'll be interesting to hear what you think too."

Because as someone who played and loved both sports but now just plays the walking version of football, even I have to roll my eyes at the pathetic antics of footballers rolling around as though they’ve been shot by a sniper. Plus there disrespectful hand bag waving at the referee is an embarrassment. I still love the game but Rugby is so much superior in terms of the wat the players conduct themselves.

Reply privately

By *eyond PurityCouple
11 weeks ago

Lincolnshire

I got asked to join a rugby team as a winger as I was fast AF and I went on a night out with them before I went to the training.

They were all huge and they could drink and drink and I thought I only have to be hit by one of these guys on the pitch and I’m never getting up.

So I stuck to football

Reply privately

By *eliusMan
11 weeks ago

Henlow

"I got asked to join a rugby team as a winger as I was fast AF and I went on a night out with them before I went to the training.

They were all huge and they could drink and drink and I thought I only have to be hit by one of these guys on the pitch and I’m never getting up.

So I stuck to football "

Yep wise decision..

Reply privately

By *enrietteandSamCouple
11 weeks ago

Staffordshire

"I got asked to join a rugby team as a winger as I was fast AF and I went on a night out with them before I went to the training.

So I stuck to football "

What you find is that those big fuckers on your team would of made it their mission to make sure no other big fucker got near you and you scored a lot of points

Reply privately

By *illy IdolMan
11 weeks ago

Midlands

So I stuck to football "

I'm surprised you can remember that far back

Reply privately

By *glyBettyTV/TS
11 weeks ago

K"

The last time I played 5 a side was 3 years ago before the last euros, and I spent the next 2 days covered in deep heat and i honestly felt like my liver was going to explode.

I'm firmly retired now, but in my 20s I used to play 11 a side to a decent-ish standard. In the ballpark of about step 11 of the national pyramid.

I think if i went up another step I would have played against teams that competed in the FA Vase.

Reply privately

By *ex HolesMan
11 weeks ago

Up North

It’s really a simple complex to understand.

Football players spend the whole match pretending they’re injured.

Rugby players spend the whole match that they aren’t.

Reply privately

By *glyBettyTV/TS
11 weeks ago

Rugby players spend the whole match pretending to play a sport, which is really just a homoerotic ritual masquerading as one

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

As a fan of football, I think it looks like a massive inferiority complex but I'm genuinely curious as to why some rugby fans have such a disdain for football. If you're a fan of both sports, it'll be interesting to hear what you think too.

It’s really a simple complex to understand.

Football players spend the whole match pretending they’re injured.

Rugby players spend the whole match that they aren’t. "

THIS!!

And if anybody has ever had the genuine pleasure to watch the legendary referee Nigel Owen's then you'd understand.

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

"Rugby players spend the whole match pretending to play a sport, which is really just a homoerotic ritual masquerading as one "

Oh go boil yer cabbage. A lot of rugby players are family men. The difference is, they are inclusive, make no homophonic jokes and support their gay players and staff.

Besides, some of the kinkiest lovers I had were rugby players.

Whereas the toxic homophobia, sexism and racism surrounding an idiotic and boring AF "sport" like soccer makes me wanna vom.

Reply privately

By *ou only live onceMan
11 weeks ago

London

"Rugby players spend the whole match pretending to play a sport, which is really just a homoerotic ritual masquerading as one

Oh go boil yer cabbage. A lot of rugby players are family men. The difference is, they are inclusive, make no homophonic jokes and support their gay players and staff.

Whereas the toxic homophobia, sexism and racism surrounding an idiotic and boring AF "sport" like soccer makes me wanna vom."

A lot of your comments have gone a long way to proving Joe's original hypothesis.

Liking one thing over another doesn't mean the other is lesser. It's quite an odd way to view two different sports, to me anyway.

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
11 weeks ago

henley on thames

"Rugby players spend the whole match pretending to play a sport, which is really just a homoerotic ritual masquerading as one "

… might be seeing what you want to see there!

Reply privately

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

"Rugby players spend the whole match pretending to play a sport, which is really just a homoerotic ritual masquerading as one

Whereas the toxic homophobia, sexism and racism surrounding an idiotic and boring AF "sport" like soccer makes me wanna vom.

A lot of your comments have gone a long way to proving Joe's original hypothesis.

Liking one thing over another doesn't mean the other is lesser. It's quite an odd way to view two different sports, to me anyway."

This is pretty much what I was getting at really. It's ok to like one sport over the other, but the way in which some rugby fans go about it is what genuinely baffles me

Reply privately

By *scaMan
11 weeks ago

Herts / London / Beyond

Like what you like people, it’s no biggie

I’m a huge football fan, but find many football fans irritating and uninformed. Contrastingly I can’t stand Rugby (think it’s just how it looks and if I’m honest the public school aspect) but have good friends who adore it. At the end of the day it’s just sport!

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

Liking one thing over another doesn't mean the other is lesser. It's quite an odd way to view two different sports, to me anyway."

No. It reflects soccer nonsense and soccer fans sense of entitlement.

I grew up in a neighborhood with a huge Italian-Canadian continent. They don't STFU about soccer.

Then there's the extended family overseas. They don't STFU about soccer either.

I grew up liking only one team sport: hockey (that's "ice hockey" to you, limey). NHL and Hockey Night in Canada were popular on both sides of the border. Training takes years and the strength, stamina and discipline required to play hockey us awe-inspiring.

Then I watched the famous Ireland v England rugby union Six Nations match in February 2007 at Croke Park. I was agog.

Croke Park was the site of British army shooting up of GAA supporters on Bloody Sunday, 1921.

Ever since then, "foreign" sports weren't allowed. Croke Park has enough seating for 83,500 people.

The regular rugby/soccer stadium in Dublin was under construction so there was no choice but to host England at Croke Park.

Security was extremely tight but nobody bat an eyelash. The England anthem "God Save The Queen" was played and everyone politely clapped. No fuss, no insults.

When the "Amhrán na bhFiann", called "The Soldier's Song" was played, followed by "Ireland's Call", the entire stadium erupted.

The final score? 43-13 to Ireland. And both sides shook hands and history made. The playing was superb - especially from Ronan O'Gara and the legendary Brian O'Driscoll.

And I've been hooked ever since.

I support every rugby team (except England, on historical grounds) but I'd never shout abuse or whistle at the outhalf when he's ready to convert a try.

Whereas every. Single. Soccer Match is a bloody racist/sectarian din. When England were playing Spain in some recent match the BBC interviewed a Scottish fan wearing a Spain tee shirt and telling the interviewer there's no reason he'd ever support England in soccer and would rather see Spain win which made us laugh.

It kind of reminds me of the old USSR vs USA Olympic matches where every single Canadian would loudly sing along to the Russian National Anthem and hoping that Vladislav Tretiak, one of the goalie legends in hockey history, would block all goals by those fatarse yanks. And they never lost.

But no Canadian in history has ever threatened violence to other players before, during or after a hockey match.

And the same for rugby union. When the New Zealand All-Blacks play, regardless of where you're from, everyone cheers when they perform The Haka.

And no one ever EVER screws with the referee.

Can you say the same about soccer?

I think NOT.

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

I’m not getting into the debate on which sport is better but football at the highest level is much more skilled game than rugby. Rugby was invented for the kids that couldn’t play football."

That's funny. Wayne Rooney would have been trained up to be a minor hurler in the GAA.

What a load of nonsense.

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

North West

Liking one thing over another doesn't mean the other is lesser. It's quite an odd way to view two different sports, to me anyway.

I grew up in a neighborhood with a huge Italian-Canadian continent. They don't STFU about soccer.

I grew up liking only one team sport: hockey (that's "ice hockey" to you, limey). NHL and Hockey Night in Canada were popular on both sides of the border. Training takes years and the strength, stamina and discipline required to play hockey us awe-inspiring.

Then I watched the famous Ireland v England rugby union Six Nations match in February 2007 at Croke Park. I was agog.

Croke Park was the site of British army shooting up of GAA supporters on Bloody Sunday, 1921.

Ever since then, "foreign" sports weren't allowed. Croke Park has enough seating for 83,500 people.

The regular rugby/soccer stadium in Dublin was under construction so there was no choice but to host England at Croke Park.

Security was extremely tight but nobody bat an eyelash. The England anthem "God Save The Queen" was played and everyone politely clapped. No fuss, no insults.

When the "Amhrán na bhFiann", called "The Soldier's Song" was played, followed by "Ireland's Call", the entire stadium erupted.

The final score? 43-13 to Ireland. And both sides shook hands and history made. The playing was superb - especially from Ronan O'Gara and the legendary Brian O'Driscoll.

I support every rugby team (except England, on historical grounds) but I'd never shout abuse or whistle at the outhalf when he's ready to convert a try.

Whereas every. Single. Soccer Match is a bloody racist/sectarian din. When England were playing Spain in some recent match the BBC interviewed a Scottish fan wearing a Spain tee shirt and telling the interviewer there's no reason he'd ever support England in soccer and would rather see Spain win which made us laugh.

It kind of reminds me of the old USSR vs USA Olympic matches where every single Canadian would loudly sing along to the Russian National Anthem and hoping that Vladislav Tretiak, one of the goalie legends in hockey history, would block all goals by those fatarse yanks. And they never lost.

But no Canadian in history has ever threatened violence to other players before, during or after a hockey match.

And the same for rugby union. When the New Zealand All-Blacks play, regardless of where you're from, everyone cheers when they perform The Haka.

I think NOT."

Canadian hockey isn't as white as you say it is. Huge sexual assault scandals, accusations of misogyny and racism etc. I'm sure you know about it, if you read the Canadian press.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/hockey-culture-systemic-problem-minister-of-sport-says-1.6601431

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

I think NOT.

Canadian hockey isn't as white as you say it is. Huge sexual assault scandals, accusations of misogyny and racism etc. I'm sure you know about it, if you read the Canadian press.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/hockey-culture-systemic-problem-minister-of-sport-says-1.6601431"

Excuse me? That's nonsense. If it makes the national news, it's because it's RARE.

Jeebus wept.

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

I think NOT.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/hockey-culture-systemic-problem-minister-of-sport-says-1.6601431"

Oh and let me guess...

Soccer players don't assault women? What utter bollix.

Reply privately

By *ou only live onceMan
11 weeks ago

London

I think NOT."

Yes, I remember that match. And history between the UK and Ireland is obviously very complicated.

But making sweeping generalisations don't make them true. "Every single football match"/ "no Canadian in history" - you simply have no idea if that is true, so you the hyperbole just looks a bit silly.

I've never heard sectarian chanting at a game I've been at. It's obviously a huge problem in some games (e.g. Rangers v Celtic), but it's not widespread. Racism remains a scourge in many areas of society - including some football fans, though I think we've done a lot to improve that in the UK during my lifetime. But football crowds (and teams) are, generally speaking, much more diverse than rugby. Racism exists. Sectarianism exists. But you tarring every footballer or football fan with the same brush just undermines your point.

And if you really believe Scottish rugby fans would be happily cheering England on, it makes me wonder how many you've met!

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

I think NOT.

Yes, I remember that match. And history between the UK and Ireland is obviously very complicated.

But making sweeping generalisations don't make them true. "Every single football match"/ "no Canadian in history" - you simply have no idea if that is true, so you the hyperbole just looks a bit silly.

I've never heard sectarian chanting at a game I've been at. It's obviously a huge problem in some games (e.g. Rangers v Celtic), but it's not widespread. Racism remains a scourge in many areas of society - including some football fans, though I think we've done a lot to improve that in the UK during my lifetime. But football crowds (and teams) are, generally speaking, much more diverse than rugby. Racism exists. Sectarianism exists. But you tarring every footballer or football fan with the same brush just undermines your point.

And if you really believe Scottish rugby fans would be happily cheering England on, it makes me wonder how many you've met!"

I never said Scottish rugby fans cheer England.

No one does.

Again. You guys kinda suck - for historical reasons. Sore losers AND sore winner's though the refs do a pretty good job at clamping down on that nonsense and the game has gotten much cleaner and safer in the past decade.

And speaking of tarring brushes, calling rugby fans people with "inferiority complexes" says more about your ignorance of the game and the culture.

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

North West

I think NOT.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/hockey-culture-systemic-problem-minister-of-sport-says-1.6601431

Oh and let me guess...

Soccer players don't assault women? What utter bollix. "

No. I didn't say that at all. All sports have abuse and unpleasant things. All of them. I was addressing your comments about hockey being so pure a sport.

Reply privately

By *ou only live onceMan
11 weeks ago

London

I think NOT.

And if you really believe Scottish rugby fans would be happily cheering England on, it makes me wonder how many you've met!

I never said Scottish rugby fans cheer England.

No one does.

Again. You guys kinda suck - for historical reasons. Sore losers AND sore winner's though the refs do a pretty good job at clamping down on that nonsense and the game has gotten much cleaner and safer in the past decade.

And speaking of tarring brushes, calling rugby fans people with "inferiority complexes" says more about your ignorance of the game and the culture."

You're coming across as slightly unhinged, if I may so. It's really not that deep. If you can't see that making massive, unfounded extrapolations doesn't make an argument, I can't help.

I'm a rugby fan. And a football fan. Mind-blowing, right? It's almost as if it wasn't a binary choice.

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

I think NOT.

Oh and let me guess...

Soccer players don't assault women? What utter bollix.

No. I didn't say that at all. All sports have abuse and unpleasant things. All of them. I was addressing your comments about hockey being so pure a sport. "

No sport is pure, naturally. Sport is just an analog for warfare.

And politics.

Reply privately

By *ou only live onceMan
11 weeks ago

London

And, Joe. This thread went exactly as I guess you thought it might.

Let's just get back in our box. Rugby, good. Football, bad. We should remember that and not step out of line.

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

North West

Abuse in sport is everywhere. Football, rugby, hockey, cricket, lawn bowls. No sport is free of it, sadly. And it's almost never rare or a one-off, it's just hidden and underreported.

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

North West

What about curling? There's a genteel sport that shouldn't incur wrath?

Reply privately

By *ou only live onceMan
11 weeks ago

London

"What about curling? There's a genteel sport that shouldn't incur wrath?"

Political. Would be the national sport of an independent Scotland. Rhona Martin would be head of state instead of King Charles III.

(Sorry, Scottish friends - this is a joke. Feel like I need to explain what in this thread!)

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

North West

"What about curling? There's a genteel sport that shouldn't incur wrath?

Political. Would be the national sport of an independent Scotland. Rhona Martin would be head of state instead of King Charles III.

(Sorry, Scottish friends - this is a joke. Feel like I need to explain what in this thread!)"

Well shit.

Tiddlywinks?

Reply privately

By *ou only live onceMan
11 weeks ago

London

(Sorry, Scottish friends - this is a joke. Feel like I need to explain what in this thread!)

Well shit.

Tiddlywinks?"

You haven't heard of the great Tiddlywinks scandal of the late 80s have you...

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

"What about curling? There's a genteel sport that shouldn't incur wrath?"

LMAO

Oh my gods, curling!!

There's no sport that bores me more than curling. It's like housework on ice. LOL

Of course, cricket and golf and baseball will send me to sleep.

And any sport that isn't a winter sport.

I'll happily watch ice skating, speed skating, biathlon, bobsleighing and even snowboarding, ski jumping and luge.

The only thing I'll watch during the summer Olympics are the opening and closing ceremonies.

Best one was Beijing 2008!

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

North West

Well shit.

Tiddlywinks?

"

No, YOLO. I'm a tad younger than your good self

Reply privately

By *ou only live onceMan
11 weeks ago

London

Well shit.

Tiddlywinks?

No, YOLO. I'm a tad younger than your good self "

Do your research. Jeez. And you, an educator.

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

"And, Joe. This thread went exactly as I guess you thought it might.

Let's just get back in our box. Rugby, good. Football, bad. We should remember that and not step out of line."

I'm sure Joe intended that by writing this post in the first place and denigrating rugby fans. Why else?

Well, sometimes I get bored watching David Beckham's ugly mug polluting my ads in between Candy Crush matches so I'll check on here from time to time.

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

North West

Well shit.

Tiddlywinks?

No, YOLO. I'm a tad younger than your good self

Do your research. Jeez. And you, an educator.

"

*Off to Wiki "Tiddlywinks"*

Obviously, Wiki is my key info source

Reply privately

By *ykoCouple
11 weeks ago

york

We like both will be watching our team Hull Fc on sky today even though they are not having a good season this year

Reply privately

By *oeBeans OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Derby

"And, Joe. This thread went exactly as I guess you thought it might.

Let's just get back in our box. Rugby, good. Football, bad. We should remember that and not step out of line.

I'm sure Joe intended that by writing this post in the first place and denigrating rugby fans. Why else?

Well, sometimes I get bored watching David Beckham's ugly mug polluting my ads in between Candy Crush matches so I'll check on here from time to time."

I created this thread and mentioned the inferiority complex as that's the way it came across to me. I don't speak for everyone on Fab but the reason it comes that way across to me is because I see rugby fans on football threads finding any excuse to put the sport down but never see the same of football fans in rugby threads.

Reply privately

By *glyBettyTV/TS
11 weeks ago

… might be seeing what you want to see there! "

Well it seems that unless the players have a pathological fear at even the slightest possibility of any kind of free-flowing open play, they take every available opportunity to either "scrum/ruck/maul" one another, or hoof the ball 50 yards into the stands.

What other reason would there be for even bothering with such unnecessary, inert & tedious set-pieces beyond a love of close contact with another man's thighs or buttocks

"Scrums", "rucks" & "mauls" should probably be interest categories on here

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

Well it seems that unless the players have a pathological fear at even the slightest possibility of any kind of free-flowing open play, they take every available opportunity to either "scrum/ruck/maul" one another, or hoof the ball 50 yards into the stands.

What other reason would there be for even bothering with such unnecessary, inert & tedious set-pieces beyond a love of close contact with another man's thighs or buttocks

"Scrums", "rucks" & "mauls" should probably be interest categories on here "

Well that's an interesting interpretation but to be fair... rugby is more about strategy and stamina than showing your ass off on the pitch.

Plus rugby players salaries are way lower than soccer players... so that should go a long way to explaining their devotion to the beautiful sport more than a bunch of teenaged scrotes mincing across a pitch and screaming at the referee because Player X pinched their arm.

Bunch of sissy marys. But hey... soccer fans just luuuurve Beckham and Ronaldo. *barf*

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

Hey! 18 more to go...

Go on...

Ka mate ka mate.... ka ora ka ora!

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

North West

I mean, I can't abide Beckham or CR7, but there we are

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

Having played both i would say rugby is a test of strength and stamina wheras football is more control and skill

Reply privately

By *ullsfan77Man
11 weeks ago

Torquay

I like both. But I prefer going and watching it for real rather than on TV. My football team is 15 mins walk from me and in the National League South. Nearly went out of existence recently but was thankfully saved. Never seen the point of “supporting “ a team hundreds of miles away who happen to be in the Premier League. The ridiculously hyped media circus going with it doesn’t interest me either. As for rugby-not a religious club follower as such but do like to go and see a few local teams around me-with the occasional trip to a top flight team not too far away. Both are enjoyable, yet different experiences.

Reply privately

By *eyond PurityCouple
11 weeks ago

Lincolnshire

So I stuck to football

I'm surprised you can remember that far back"

With all these threesomes in my mind now, it’s becoming a blur…

Reply privately

By *glyBettyTV/TS
11 weeks ago

Well that's an interesting interpretation but to be fair... rugby is more about strategy and stamina than showing your ass off on the pitch.

Plus rugby players salaries are way lower than soccer players... so that should go a long way to explaining their devotion to the beautiful sport more than a bunch of teenaged scrotes mincing across a pitch and screaming at the referee because Player X pinched their arm.

Bunch of sissy marys. But hey... soccer fans just luuuurve Beckham and Ronaldo. *barf*"

Apparently in rugby union, booting the ball off the field at every opportunity is what they call "strategic", whilst practically every other form of football sees it as ineptitude of the highest order

Reply privately

11 weeks ago

What about Gaelic Football? Seems like an acceptable compromise.

Plus the players are HOT

Reply privately

By *glyBettyTV/TS
11 weeks ago

"What about Gaelic Football? Seems like an acceptable compromise.

Plus the players are HOT"

To be fair I don't have a problem with Gaelic Football. The fact they have goals and play with a normal shaped ball helps a lot. The GAA football final was briefly screened live here on channel 4 for a couple of years in the 90s. I genuinely thought it looked like it would be quite fun to play.

Hurling has the same problem as ice hockey, where it would potentially be a decent watch if it wasn't so hard to see the ball on TV.

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

Plus the players are HOT

To be fair I don't have a problem with Gaelic Football. The fact they have goals and play with a normal shaped ball helps a lot. The GAA football final was briefly screened live here on channel 4 for a couple of years in the 90s. I genuinely thought it looked like it would be quite fun to play.

Hurling has the same problem as ice hockey, where it would potentially be a decent watch if it wasn't so hard to see the ball on TV."

OMG this is so true. Since the NHL games have gotten faster and more dangerous every time a sports announcer yells "he shoots, he scores!" I literally cannot see it. There isn't the build up like you have in rugby.

Reply privately

By *alandNitaCouple
10 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

[Removed by poster at 21/07/24 13:17:35]

Reply privately

By *alandNitaCouple
10 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

I'm a rugby fan, and don't like football at all, BUT...

In all my time of playing Rugby, pretty much every other member of the club has always been a big football fan too. Football is alway on the TV in the club house, and many even play Sunday league or 5 a side.

For many Rugby fans, the biggest issue we have is the play acting, diving, and rolling about on the floor pretending their leg is broken.

Reply privately

By *amsevenMan
10 weeks ago

cork

Plus the players are HOT

Hurling has the same problem as ice hockey, where it would potentially be a decent watch if it wasn't so hard to see the ball on TV."

Hurling final 3.30 today on BBC2.

Won't be any diving there

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
10 weeks ago

henley on thames

(Sorry, Scottish friends - this is a joke. Feel like I need to explain what in this thread!)"

Rhona? Nah, Eve muirhead!

Reply privately

By *immyinreadingMan
10 weeks ago

henley on thames

Bunch of sissy marys. But hey... soccer fans just luuuurve Beckham and Ronaldo. *barf*

Apparently in rugby union, booting the ball off the field at every opportunity is what they call "strategic", whilst practically every other form of football sees it as ineptitude of the highest order

"

In football, clearing the ball into touch is not always “ineptitude”.

Reply privately

By *till gameMan
10 weeks ago

two doors down

Rhona? Nah, Eve muirhead! "

Oh yes agree eve is stunning

Reply privately