Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Mortgage or Land

Jump to newest

By *igR93 OP   Man
12 weeks ago

Sarcasm City

Boring topic tonight

Has anyone here wished they bought land and built a land instead of a mortgage?

Has anyone done this?

Finding myself on land auction sites more and more frequently recently..

Building a house in the middle of nowhere sounds…peaceful

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *reggSausageMan
12 weeks ago

derby

I’ve not done it but I’m looking, log cabins look mighty tempting and YouTube doesn’t help the envy either, some of the locations I’ve seen built are incredible

By *igR93 OP   Man
12 weeks ago

Sarcasm City

"I’ve not done it but I’m looking, log cabins look mighty tempting and YouTube doesn’t help the envy either, some of the locations I’ve seen built are incredible "

Honestly tempted to buy a good sizeable amount of green space and build a house (not on my own) I’m fortunate enough to have many friends in the building trade and I dislike new builds and I also dislike old houses

A modern cottage would be my ideal

By (user no longer on site)
12 weeks ago

Build it and they will come

By *alcon77Man
12 weeks ago

under the sun & the moon

There's sometimes land on eBay for sale.

Been looking at this for more than decade.

The issue is planning permission.

You can get land for about for a couple of grand sometimes but you run the risk of not being allowed to do anything with it and waiting for planning permission for years and then still getting refused.

If the land comes with planning permission it's not easy to find anything less than 100k..and this is before you have bought the house to put on it.

About 12 or 13 years ago I did see land, with planning permission for about 20k, in the middle of nowhere, in the Scottish Highlands.

Was very tempting

By *igR93 OP   Man
12 weeks ago

Sarcasm City

"There's sometimes land on eBay for sale.

You can get land for about for a couple of grand sometimes but you run the risk of not being allowed to do anything with it and waiting for planning permission for years and then still getting refused.

If the land comes with planning permission it's not easy to find anything less than 100k..and this is before you have bought the house to put on it.

About 12 or 13 years ago I did see land, with planning permission for about 20k, in the middle of nowhere, in the Scottish Highlands.

Was very tempting "

You certainly won’t get bothered in the Scottish highlands

Councils have requirements now to allow for a few “self build plots” per number of estates build so this is what I’ve been looking at!

By *igR93 OP   Man
12 weeks ago

Sarcasm City

"Build it and they will come "

Build it and they will cum?

No?

By *alcon77Man
12 weeks ago

under the sun & the moon

"There's sometimes land on eBay for sale.

Was very tempting

You certainly won’t get bothered in the Scottish highlands

Councils have requirements now to allow for a few “self build plots” per number of estates build so this is what I’ve been looking at!"

I'll be your neighbour then

Post new Message to Thread