FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Would you slow down life as a pensioner?

Jump to newest

By *hagTonight OP   Man
12 weeks ago

From the land of haribos.

With this I mean, usually at this age you slow everything down and take it a lot easier.

I am not sure about you, but when I retire I couldnt take it easy, beacuse I am really busy with many things, including the training. I dont think I could train less and ever see me doing it.

Could you do it and if you are retired, what kind of lifestyle do you live and have you slowed down compared to before?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
12 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

You know shag...... most people retire from WORK they don't retire from LIFE.

Not everyone who retires is a pensioner either.

Pensioner gives the impression of a little old person living a meagre life and shuffling along the hallway to collect a meal on wheels deal.

Older people are much the same as everyone else - they just creak a bit more.

And you will have to slow down because nature won't let you be a teen. You don't have to stop but you will do things more slowly- sorry n all that.

By *rHotNottsMan
12 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

A little bit , like I train just for health, energy, strength and the main goal is to stay injury free. I tend not to go clubbing on a school night and it’s rare I do brunches these days.

By *rHotNottsMan
12 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"

"

This is true, more and more people, myself included are trading money for time

By *onk3yb0yMan
12 weeks ago

south west

Have to agree. Not a ‘Pensioner’. Mentally I think everyone still thinks they are a teenager. It’s just that sometimes life will throw a spanner in the works and you will find some things can’t be done any more. Or at least not without some painkillers

By (user no longer on site)
12 weeks ago

Shag, you are 41, you have quarter of a century til you retire (that is longer than you've been working so far). Live your life to the full now.

By *arkus1812Man
12 weeks ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

I first retired at the age of 62 but found life boring and when a job offer came up I took it.

When I reached the age of 70 I finally retired, I joined Fab and purchased a sports car, visited my sisters holiday home in France frequently and life was great.

The arrival of Covid really changed my life, as I was considered at risk due to my age I effectivly became a hermit.

The onset of Arthritis in both my legs and then a Heart condition in the form of Atrial Fibrillation have brought my life almost to a standstill.

Now at the ripe old age of 84 I continue to live life on a day to day basis not making any plans for the future.

My advice would be to retire as early as possible having ensured that you have sufficient funds to support yourself.

By *teveanddebsCouple
12 weeks ago

Norwich

I retired at 60 and then took part time work in a field I had volunteered in while working. I love the job but couldn't have afforded to do it full time when I was younger, kids to feed etc.

Now I can work the hours I want to and fit in my beekeeping easily.

The trouble is, in your head, you are still 25 and have to reel it in when your body reminds you your not.

By *lynJMan
12 weeks ago

Morden

I'm 66 and not intending to retire for a good few years yet.

By *ornucopiaMan
12 weeks ago

Bexley

Been a pensionersice I was 52 and a state pensioner after becoming 65 and had agreat life all along.

The only thing which have slowed me down is general ageing and the societal changes caused by covid.

By *nikingMan
12 weeks ago

Hull

No, imagine all the time I will have freed up from work for shagging

By *hagTonight OP   Man
12 weeks ago

[Removed by poster at 11/07/24 08:53:13]

By *hagTonight OP   Man
12 weeks ago

"You know shag...... most people retire from WORK they don't retire from LIFE.

Pensioner gives the impression of a little old person living a meagre life and shuffling along the hallway to collect a meal on wheels deal.

Older people are much the same as everyone else - they just creak a bit more.

And you will have to slow down because nature won't let you be a teen. You don't have to stop but you will do things more slowly- sorry n all that. "

Hi, you are right there, yes, the nature also decide a lot about it, those are also good points too

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
12 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

I think what you do with your workouts shag, will allow you to have a good , long and healthy life....

12 weeks ago

Myself and mrs m are pensioners and we still enjoy life ,travel the odd threesome and plenty of fucking between ourselves ????

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

12 weeks ago

East Sussex

We both claim our state pension and have claimed our private pensions since we were 57.

We have slowed down in that we no longer get up at 6, get children ready for school, pack lunches, hang washing out, go to work, come home, do housework, enjoy children, get meal ready, help with homework, snatch five or six hours sleep then do it all again.

When I told friends I was retiring early all but one asked "but how will you fill your time?". . I told them by doing all the things I sat behind a desk dreaming of doing instead of running in the rat race.

Stopping working was the best thing I ever did apart from getting married and having our children

By *orl1971Couple
12 weeks ago

Glasgow

From people we know you will do a bit less than you did. It’s all relative though as we know people in theirs 60s who run ultra marathon but also people in their 40s who would struggle walking a 10km. God knows what those 40 year olds will be like when retired.

If you don’t look after your body then it will wear out more quickly than those who do. On average.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
12 weeks ago

"A little bit , like I train just for health, energy, strength and the main goal is to stay injury free. I tend not to go clubbing on a school night and it’s rare I do brunches these days."
That is good to train for those things too

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

12 weeks ago

East Sussex

When do you plan to stop working in a pair job Shag?

By *ymbunnyfitCouple
12 weeks ago

East Yorkshire

At moment in life we seem to be doing more than ever and no sign of slowing down yet xx

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

12 weeks ago

East Sussex

"When do you plan to stop working in a pair job Shag?"

Paid job, that should say

By *ansoffateMan
12 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

100% I could do it.

I don't know that I would stop doing things altogether, but it would be a lot more of what I want to do and when. That's the difference for me.

12 weeks ago

Shag dude - when your body gets to nearly 70 it will start ganging up on you and doing you over! It will betray you little bit by little bit. You've got guys like Arnie and Stallone that are still going strong but I'd bet everything everyone I know owns that they'd tell you how much harder it is now.

Regarding retirement most people that I've seen retire actually get busier when they retire from being more actively involved in their families to hobbies they never had time for to travelling.

By *ornucopiaMan
12 weeks ago

Bexley

"Shag dude - when your body gets to nearly 70 it will start ganging up on you and doing you over! It will betray you little bit by little bit. You've got guys like Arnie and Stallone that are still going strong but I'd bet everything everyone I know owns that they'd tell you how much harder it is now.

"

I've never tried to look like Arnie or Stallone, so the deterioration is barely noticable!

By *hagTonight OP   Man
12 weeks ago

"When do you plan to stop working in a pair job Shag?

Paid job, that should say"

Hi nicecouple. I think it could be around 66 or so. I am not sure yet when it would be

By *punk n gushCouple
12 weeks ago

walmer

"We both claim our state pension and have claimed our private pensions since we were 57.

We have slowed down in that we no longer get up at 6, get children ready for school, pack lunches, hang washing out, go to work, come home, do housework, enjoy children, get meal ready, help with homework, snatch five or six hours sleep then do it all again.

When I told friends I was retiring early all but one asked "but how will you fill your time?". . I told them by doing all the things I sat behind a desk dreaming of doing instead of running in the rat race.

Stopping working was the best thing I ever did apart from getting married and having our children "

Well said very similar

Wife and kids always my best Mr

By *hagTonight OP   Man
12 weeks ago

By *hagTonight OP   Man
12 weeks ago

"At moment in life we seem to be doing more than ever and no sign of slowing down yet xx"
That is good there are no sign of slowing downt too x

By *hagTonight OP   Man
12 weeks ago

"I think what you do with your workouts shag, will allow you to have a good , long and healthy life....

"

Hi, yes. I also think the same, that my workouts will allow me to have a good, long and healthy life too

By *ad NannaWoman
12 weeks ago

East London

If I slow down much more I'll be a slug.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
12 weeks ago

"100% I could do it.

I don't know that I would stop doing things altogether, but it would be a lot more of what I want to do and when. That's the difference for me."

That is good you could do it too

By *929Man
12 weeks ago

newcastle

I’m hoping to retire before 50 if all goes to plan then will just get up without the alarm, take dog for long walk before breakfast, gym after breakfast enjoying that it’s nearly empty, eat again then devote rest of day to whatever I want so will be slower compared to now yes

By *inister_SpinsterWoman
12 weeks ago

North West

No, I'd retire and train properly. 2 x times a day, 4 or 5 days a week. Masters Lifting has age categories up to 80 plus. So that would keep me busy.

I'd have a sideline as a cat lady.

By *arlot o scaraWoman
12 weeks ago

Hell

I don’t think there’ll be any such thing as retirement any more by the time I’m old enough for it

By *orl1971Couple
12 weeks ago

Glasgow

It’s a shame so many people make their money doing something they don’t enjoy. You don’t see Paul McCartney or Tom Cruise or even Joe Biden retiring early when they could have retired decades ago.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
12 weeks ago

North West

"From people we know you will do a bit less than you did. It’s all relative though as we know people in theirs 60s who run ultra marathon but also people in their 40s who would struggle walking a 10km. God knows what those 40 year olds will be like when retired.

If you don’t look after your body then it will wear out more quickly than those who do. On average. "

You can look after your body to your heart's content, yet still be unable to walk 10km at 40.

I can't walk even 10m with some kind of aid. But I can push 10km in a regular manual wheelchair in just over an hour. 5km in 27min, if absolutely pasting around.

My lack of walking has nothing whatsoever to do with a lack of self care.

Walking isn't the be all and end all.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
12 weeks ago

"I first retired at the age of 62 but found life boring and when a job offer came up I took it.

When I reached the age of 70 I finally retired, I joined Fab and purchased a sports car, visited my sisters holiday home in France frequently and life was great.

The arrival of Covid really changed my life, as I was considered at risk due to my age I effectivly became a hermit.

The onset of Arthritis in both my legs and then a Heart condition in the form of Atrial Fibrillation have brought my life almost to a standstill.

Now at the ripe old age of 84 I continue to live life on a day to day basis not making any plans for the future.

My advice would be to retire as early as possible having ensured that you have sufficient funds to support yourself. "

That is good advice too

By *tephanjMan
12 weeks ago

Kettering

I'm 69 and still working, mostly as I have 2 dogs to look after and a partner I also have to care for

By *iberius61Man
12 weeks ago

Pontefract

Dunno, I'm 63 and no thoughts of retiring yet. Every year I do at least one full ironman and a couple of halfs, again no thoughts of stopping yet. Eventually I'll slow down I'm sure, most people do beyond 70 I think?

By *oubleswing2019Man
12 weeks ago

Colchester

To be fair, I slowed down the moment I left school, and have been coasting ever since.

By *a LunaWoman
12 weeks ago

South

Like to think I would. My mum is still working now in her 70’s (runs her own business) and she is terrified of retiring because she thinks she will veg out too much.

My step-dad passed away aged 59 just a few years after taking early retirement.

So you never can tell what the future holds for you.

But so long as my health enables me to enjoy retirement, that’s my main goal really.

By *4bimMan
12 weeks ago

Farnborough Hampshire

i will not retire.

i will work for as long as im able to do.

keeping active and having something to get up for everyday is important.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

12 weeks ago

East Sussex

I think there are two types of people. One type can't imagine life without working and wouldn't want to.

The other can and does want to.

There's probably a third type who's somewhere in between.

Nobody's wrong, it takes all sorts.

It is important to have a reason to get up but the reason doesn't need of have to be work

By *hagTonight OP   Man
12 weeks ago

[Removed by poster at 12/07/24 00:45:14]

By *hagTonight OP   Man
12 weeks ago

[Removed by poster at 12/07/24 00:45:32]

By *hagTonight OP   Man
12 weeks ago

"Shag, you are 41, you have quarter of a century til you retire (that is longer than you've been working so far). Live your life to the full now."
Yes. I still have long time left to retirement too.

By *orthern StarsCouple
12 weeks ago

A town near you perhaps

My husband and I can't wait to retire but we're a long way off it.

We dont want to slow down as such but filling our days doing the things we love in life, instead of flogging our backsides off and forever chasing our tails on this treadmill of a crazy busy life that goes too fast.

We will be staying very active, keep young in our minds and hearts and have quality time to enjoy life,

By *hagTonight OP   Man
12 weeks ago

"We both claim our state pension and have claimed our private pensions since we were 57.

Stopping working was the best thing I ever did apart from getting married and having our children "

That is good you both have slowed down, yes, then do all the other things too

By *agnar73Man
12 weeks ago

Glasgow

"Shag, you are 41, you have quarter of a century til you retire (that is longer than you've been working so far). Live your life to the full now."

41. That’s young.

How do I put this, I was running ragged with things, work, kids, everything else and that was much of my forties, wasn’t looking after myself and day to day meant getting through things.

Past couple of years I actually feel better than I did for that decade and a bit more energy and zip than I had then and maybe a bit of mojo back too. Sadly I’m now in my fifties and on good days it’s just a number.

Post new Message to Thread