Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

When you're trying...

Jump to newest

By *eli OP   Woman
14 weeks ago

to not think about something but your mind keeps drifting back to it.

How do you stop yourself?

Any special tricks or rituals that help? Bonus points if it involves a sacrifice.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *midnight-Woman
14 weeks ago

Distraction! Noisy distraction that requires every ounce of your mental and physical engagement

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman
14 weeks ago

Carlisle usually

Edging.

Music that takes me to certain places.

Or, just suck it up and deal with why it's so solidly stuck in my brain

By *he Black ExperienceMan
14 weeks ago

Banbury

Dependant on the something. Is it a pleasurable thought running through your head? Or stress and pain related?

Pleasure then let it run let it play, explore it with the hopes of bringing to fruition.

Pain- then talk to someone, share it you'd be surprised how getting it out verbally eases the pressure inside ur head.

By *wiss Army KnifeMan
14 weeks ago

Second star to the right…

Getting anaesthetised might help

Sing three blind mice three times might be a less drastic solution

By *ivemealadybonerWoman
14 weeks ago

somewhere

If it's food related and have a craving for it, obviously since Feb I have changed my diet so I haven't had alot of what I used too, on the odd occasion I get a craving for a certain food, I'll get it but smaller or have it over a couple of days because I know I won't stop thinking about it and it works, once I've had it, it's gone from my mind and I can move on.

With anything else though, in the last 6 months I've been actively trying to stop thinking about someone, so I've thrown myself into cleaning and doing word puzzles, when it creeping back in, I pick a cloth up, head phones in and sing my little heart out and scrub for deal life lol.

By *hesubtlegentMan
14 weeks ago

surrey

I put my headphones in and listen to my favourite songs when I’m over thinking about something.

By *ellhungvweMan
14 weeks ago

Cheltenham

Go for a walk or just dive into something else and let my mind get taken away from it.

If I keep coming back to something then it is just telling me that I need to deal with it.

By *eli OP   Woman
14 weeks ago

"Distraction! Noisy distraction that requires every ounce of your mental and physical engagement "

So gym. Gym could do it. But I don't want to go. I should though.

By *he Black ExperienceMan
14 weeks ago

Banbury

"If it's food related and have a craving for it, obviously since Feb I have changed my diet so I haven't had alot of what I used too, on the odd occasion I get a craving for a certain food, I'll get it but smaller or have it over a couple of days because I know I won't stop thinking about it and it works, once I've had it, it's gone from my mind and I can move on.

With anything else though, in the last 6 months I've been actively trying to stop thinking about someone, so I've thrown myself into cleaning and doing word puzzles, when it creeping back in, I pick a cloth up, head phones in and sing my little heart out and scrub for deal life lol. "

Yep been there, not thinking about someone is the toughest of all. Anything can trigger it bring them back in your head

By *or-QueeningMan
14 weeks ago

Manchester

"to not think about something but your mind keeps drifting back to it.

How do you stop yourself?

Any special tricks or rituals that help? Bonus points if it involves a sacrifice."

I just throw myself (more) into other things that require a level of focus - getting on with the 'to read' pile, starting a film-watching project (I.e. to watch films by a particular director or in a genre). Basically try to shut my brain in so my thoughts have less leeway to go roaming.

By *eordieJeansCouple
14 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Jam your balls in a vice and tighten it each time you think of it.

By *eli OP   Woman
14 weeks ago

"Edging.

Or, just suck it up and deal with why it's so solidly stuck in my brain "

Edging myself isn't something I can really do. I mean I can not come but... can't edge for hours. Maybe a tentacle is needed in my life.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
14 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

First thing would be not to anxious about the thought but realise that it is just a thought and you have some control over the thought after it has entered your head.

Try - visualising and externalising. Close your eyes and watch as your thought gets on a magic carpet and leaves you or it goes for walk up a hill.

Give this thought a name and acknowledge it and say something like ' not today Jack, I'm dealing with better things' so h#that you see the thought as definitely separate from yourself.

Stick to your usual routine and get involved with others or pets and focus on them. Your mind will have no space for incoming nuisance thoughts.

By *midnight-Woman
14 weeks ago

"Distraction! Noisy distraction that requires every ounce of your mental and physical engagement

So gym. Gym could do it. But I don't want to go. I should though. "

Shit i haven't been for 3 weeks.. Kinda forgot i even had a subscription

By *ivemealadybonerWoman
14 weeks ago

somewhere

"If it's food related and have a craving for it, obviously since Feb I have changed my diet so I haven't had alot of what I used too, on the odd occasion I get a craving for a certain food, I'll get it but smaller or have it over a couple of days because I know I won't stop thinking about it and it works, once I've had it, it's gone from my mind and I can move on.

With anything else though, in the last 6 months I've been actively trying to stop thinking about someone, so I've thrown myself into cleaning and doing word puzzles, when it creeping back in, I pick a cloth up, head phones in and sing my little heart out and scrub for deal life lol.

Yep been there, not thinking about someone is the toughest of all. Anything can trigger it bring them back in your head "

Yup, it's a bloody nightmare. Thankfully I think I'm almost there now and it's not consuming my almost every waking hour, just passing thoughts every now and then x

By *ittlebirdWoman
14 weeks ago

The Big Smoke

Music

By *he love catsCouple
14 weeks ago

South Wales

Music it's always music. Although grannies rug seems next level amazing.

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman
14 weeks ago

Carlisle usually

"Edging.

Or, just suck it up and deal with why it's so solidly stuck in my brain

Edging myself isn't something I can really do. I mean I can not come but... can't edge for hours. Maybe a tentacle is needed in my life. "

Remind me to send you my link so I get affiliate points if you do decide to get a tentacle

It's the frustration of holding it that works as the distraction for me.

By *eli OP   Woman
14 weeks ago

"Dependant on the something. Is it a pleasurable thought running through your head? Or stress and pain related?

Pleasure then let it run let it play, explore it with the hopes of bringing to fruition.

Pain- then talk to someone, share it you'd be surprised how getting it out verbally eases the pressure inside ur head. "

Ah I like that you've given a dual answer, a dependent one. Thank you for the advice, might try it out and see how I fare.

Post new Message to Thread