Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Why themepark edition - Ranting post

Jump to newest

By *thanDiPool OP   Man
13 weeks ago

alloa

Don't expect any reply on this but need somewhere to briefly let off some steam.

for context I used to work fair grounds and work for a themepark as of right now..

WHY IN THE HELL do parents constantly ask me to check restraints.... I HAVE TO ANYWAY. And I check them 2ce. and then I get asked the same question 3 times on the same run. LIKE COME ON....

If any parents could maybe explain there side of this.. thanks but it's just annoying and added stress unnecessarily... alright I'm done. Thank have a good night.... any other themepark pet peeves from operators or questions feel free to ask.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
13 weeks ago

I’m guessing it’s because ..

(a) they love their kids and want to be assured of their safety

(b) they’ve seen those YouTube clips of horrific fairground ride failures

(c) they’re entrusting their kids safety on such rides at theme parks to wet-behind the ears disinterested-looking summer vacation job teenagers in most cases (OP excepted in this case of course)

I can understand your frustration hearing it over and over again, but think of it from their perspective

By *thanDiPool OP   Man
13 weeks ago

alloa

"I’m guessing it’s because ..

(c) they’re entrusting their kids safety on such rides at theme parks to wet-behind the ears disinterested-looking summer vacation job teenagers in most cases (OP excepted in this case of course)

I can understand your frustration hearing it over and over again, but think of it from their perspective "

All valid points. I assure you o give a damm unlike some. You are right can be stressful especially when the ride decides its had enough cause of rain and then you get a faulty radio but that's half of it.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
13 weeks ago

little house on the praire

Sounds like a stressful job

By (user no longer on site)
13 weeks ago

"I’m guessing it’s because ..

I can understand your frustration hearing it over and over again, but think of it from their perspective

All valid points. I assure you o give a damm unlike some. You are right can be stressful especially when the ride decides its had enough cause of rain and then you get a faulty radio but that's half of it."

You’re not selling it for those concerned parents by the way!!

Keep smiling OP, remember your contribution is helping to deliver memorable days out for families - you might not necessarily receive direct thanks but you are an important cog in their enjoyable park visit!

By *ivemealadybonerWoman
13 weeks ago

somewhere

It's like in any front facing role, everyone asks "pointless" (to you) questions or make statements but to that person asking, it's the first time they have said it, it matters to them.

I get asked the same questions at my job like "is the car park free?" It's a question I get asked probably 15 times a day and I want to scream "yes it fucking is!" But the person asking me doesn't know and they don't know I've been asked 14 times prior.

Plus also, as the poster above said, their loved one is being put into your safety, they are entrusting you and want to make sure they are safe, yes it's annoying but that's customer service for you.

By *thanDiPool OP   Man
12 weeks ago

alloa

Feel like a slight jack ass now was just a bad day in the office lol

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

12 weeks ago

East Sussex

"Feel like a slight jack ass now was just a bad day in the office lol"

Nah you're alright.

I used to get asked things that were obvious to me all the time at work. I just used to quietly and metaphorically bang my head against a brick wall

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
12 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

Because they don't KNOW that you are the most meticulous and safety conscious ride operator in the whole of leisureland.

Because they love their children and are scared.

Stop taking it personally O.P. It isn't about YOU ..... it's ALL about them, the paying customer.

Engage with them. When they ask for what is their FIRST time but YOUR millionth, smile and reassure with a friendly acknowledgement or change jobs where you don't have to meet caring families enjoying their day out.

By *thanDiPool OP   Man
12 weeks ago

alloa

For the record I normally do take it with a pinch of salt. And quietly bang my head against a wall n politely respond to the questions. I just had a bad day being moved all over the park.

By *ojo2joWoman
12 weeks ago

Penclawdd

Sadly, there are UK theme parks where people have been seriously injured and died. One death was directly related to a restraint not being fastened correctly which was attributed to ‘operator error’ so it is 1000% something on a parent’s mind.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

12 weeks ago

East Sussex

"For the record I normally do take it with a pinch of salt. And quietly bang my head against a wall n politely respond to the questions. I just had a bad day being moved all over the park."

Everyone is allowed a bad day and a bit of a moan.

Do you ever go on the rides yourself?

By *he KakapoMan
12 weeks ago

A nice rock

Don't apologise OP take one look at the forum, people get irritated and rant about far less.

You get annoyed because you care about your job and doing it properly. That's a good thing.

By *thanDiPool OP   Man
12 weeks ago

alloa

"For the record I normally do take it with a pinch of salt. And quietly bang my head against a wall n politely respond to the questions. I just had a bad day being moved all over the park.

Do you ever go on the rides yourself?"

Haha funny you say that. I'm a funfair enthusiast and rather popular for my photography of fairground rides so yeh I go on lots of different ones when I can. I do the themepark part time away from my main job and love it.

By *urls and DressesWoman
12 weeks ago

Somewhere near here

All as above but also not aware of all the safety mechanisms that are in place on rides. I didn’t know until a few months ago that a computer tells the operator that a restraint isn’t down properly and the ride won’t move until resolved.

By *pankingNorfolkCouple
12 weeks ago

Norwichish

"For the record I normally do take it with a pinch of salt. And quietly bang my head against a wall n politely respond to the questions. I just had a bad day being moved all over the park."

That’s what they call the cup runneth over.

You start the day with an empty glass of stress/worries. You get in the car drive five minutes and realise you forgot your pass, drive home and already that glass has now got a little bit of water in it. Because of they delay you struggle to find somewhere to park. A little more water. You are now running through car park to get there on time, more water.

Etc etc etc until one innocuous question or incident from everyone else’s perspective just puts that little bit too much water in your glass and you explode.

By *thanDiPool OP   Man
12 weeks ago

alloa

"All as above but also not aware of all the safety mechanisms that are in place on rides. I didn’t know until a few months ago that a computer tells the operator that a restraint isn’t down properly and the ride won’t move until resolved."

Yep!!! Computer and same with the trains. They won't pass a certain point unless the computer says its clear

By *ripfillMan
12 weeks ago

havant

Well done - the frustration is palpable

Just smile …

And continue to make your world a safer place !

You’re doing your job !

By *tlanshiaWoman
12 weeks ago

Chatham

Personally I have a anxiety disorder so it could be that.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
12 weeks ago

North West

"All as above but also not aware of all the safety mechanisms that are in place on rides. I didn’t know until a few months ago that a computer tells the operator that a restraint isn’t down properly and the ride won’t move until resolved."

Is that the case for the short term fairground rides that come and go with travelling fairgrounds? I realise it IS the case for the fixed theme park rides, e.g. Alton Towers and co.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

12 weeks ago

East Sussex

"For the record I normally do take it with a pinch of salt. And quietly bang my head against a wall n politely respond to the questions. I just had a bad day being moved all over the park.

Do you ever go on the rides yourself?

Haha funny you say that. I'm a funfair enthusiast and rather popular for my photography of fairground rides so yeh I go on lots of different ones when I can. I do the themepark part time away from my main job and love it. "

Good! It's great to hear when someone really enjoys something.

I'm a big baby and won't go on any theme park attractions except the really tame ones .

I used to love the traditional fair when I was younger though.

When I was about 16 I saw two lads mucking about at the too of a big wheel. They tipped it and both fell, they were holding on as long as they could but eventually dropped to the ground from the top. Maybe that explains why I won't go on the rides now

By *teveanddebsCouple
12 weeks ago

Norwich

"

I assure you o give a damm unlike some."

The parents don't know you are not one of the "some"

By *thanDiPool OP   Man
12 weeks ago

alloa

"All as above but also not aware of all the safety mechanisms that are in place on rides. I didn’t know until a few months ago that a computer tells the operator that a restraint isn’t down properly and the ride won’t move until resolved.

Is that the case for the short term fairground rides that come and go with travelling fairgrounds? I realise it IS the case for the fixed theme park rides, e.g. Alton Towers and co. "

Travelling rides don't have that system however the operators keep keen eyes out for any issues. That result in the ride stopping

By *thanDiPool OP   Man
12 weeks ago

alloa

"All as above but also not aware of all the safety mechanisms that are in place on rides. I didn’t know until a few months ago that a computer tells the operator that a restraint isn’t down properly and the ride won’t move until resolved.

Is that the case for the short term fairground rides that come and go with travelling fairgrounds? I realise it IS the case for the fixed theme park rides, e.g. Alton Towers and co.

Travelling rides don't have that system however the operators keep keen eyes out for any issues. That result in the ride stopping"

Actually I'm wrong. I was referring to the older rides. The newer rides do have thus system snf won't engage if something is wrong.

Also note the rides have to go for a yearly Thro check like an mot every year where the ride gets checked for every weld. Screw, bolt and metal parts. Ensuring it's still in one peice

Post new Message to Thread