Morning everyone

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
14 weeks ago

They’re dead.

14 weeks ago

One of my grandfather's would be classed as an illegal immigrant by Cruella, et al. having arrived penniless in this country after WWI

By *luehairedcumslutCouple
14 weeks ago

St Neots

My grandad was in the navy and had a fight with a shark and that's the reason he was how he was...

Turned out that was a lie to us kids and he had a stroke (booooorrring)

By *he love catsCouple
14 weeks ago

South Wales

During the war.

My grandmother who was a nurse was just moving a patient from his bed to go to x-ray or something and a bomb hit nearby smashing a window a send big shard's of glass through the pillow's and bed where they had just been seconds before.

By *affron40Woman
14 weeks ago

manchester

My grandad wrote to his beloved football team and was allowed to borrow the FA cup and take it back to suburban Manchester for a day. He collected and returned it on the bus and had a permanent line of people coming through his house to see and touch the cup in person.

By *inkShyWoman
14 weeks ago

near Windsor

My family descends from the Norman/Northmen invasions of 1066, so I am viking by blood.

By *uffymayfairCouple
14 weeks ago

vera playa, Almeria

My great great grandad was in the charge of the light brigade and survived, the family story is that he hid behind a rock.

By *ealitybitesMan
14 weeks ago

Belfast

My grandad qualified as a cabinet-maker in the early 1920s and donated various items he made as an apprentice to local institutions.

He also made a number of desks, display cabinets and clocks and the vast majority of them are used to this day in certain public buildings including the local cathedral.

By *ansoffateMan
14 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

My grandmother was born in Brownlow Hill Workhouse, one of the last workhouses, now the site of the Catholic Cathedral in Liverpool.

Her mother, the daughter of Irish immigrants to the city was orphaned at 3 and was brought up in a Catholic convent orphanage in Wales. It was basically a servant training school ran by nuns.

My Gran used to warn me to stay away from nuns and wanted me to be Christened C of E. Not for that reason, but she was one of the wisest and most compassionate people I've ever met. She had a kind of knowing pain behind her loving eyes.

By *hief_Of_AlwaysMan
14 weeks ago

London or Bedford

One of my forefathers fled Ireland for some unknown reason & changed his identity.

It’s a weird thing to find out…

My surname is not real

And I don’t have Welsh ancestry

By *2000ManMan
14 weeks ago

Worthing

A distant cousin on my mothers side was part of a family who were to travel on the Titanic. A ship going nearer to where they wanted to live seemed a better idea and they went on that instead.

By *elvet RopeMan
14 weeks ago

by the big field

My nan once told us were were related to a famous hollywood actor (same surname)- I'm not entirely convinced as she was batshit crazy and he bares little resemblance.

By *usty kayWoman
14 weeks ago

Burnham

"During the war.

My grandmother who was a nurse was just moving a patient from his bed to go to x-ray or something and a bomb hit nearby smashing a window a send big shard's of glass through the pillow's and bed where they had just been seconds before."

Similarly my grandparents used to go to the same bomb shelter but one day the sirens went off and they were both in different parts of the city so each went to a different shelter. The one they both should have been in was bombed (I really hope I've remembered that story right, I was quite young when I was told)

By *ickshawedCouple
14 weeks ago

Wolverhampton

My great great grandad was a Jack the Ripper suspect. He lived in the area, was a Jewish butcher, and apparently died of syphilis after it sent him mad. He's still discussed on Ripper websites.

By *ivemealadybonerWoman
14 weeks ago

somewhere

[Removed by poster at 05/07/24 17:00:19]

By *ivemealadybonerWoman
14 weeks ago

somewhere

I've researched my family right back to 1580, they are pretty boring really from what I have found, did my ex husbands and managed to put to bed a name change for my ex father in law and what happened to his real dad so he has that now and the current husband, his mother is on her third marriage and from what I can see, she isn't the only one to like multiple wedding cakes lol.

That said, on the day prince Philip died, I went to see my parents and my dad had the tree up on the pc and saw PP on there, I asked why and he said that my great uncle (not my blood uncle which is why I never found this out, he was married to my great aunt) is related to him (can't remember how) but I always joke that I'm related to Chris Pratt and Arnie as somewhere down the line Arnie and Phillip are related lol

By *naswingdressWoman
14 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

All different people

Interracial marriage in the sticks of a convict colony in the middle of the nineteenth century

Father marrying step-daughter

Someone with an incredible back story but it turns out they just told amazing lies all their life

Among the least honourable WW2 related deaths one can imagine

The victim of a crime begging the courts to let the perpetrator go

14 weeks ago

Actually a bbc documentary about mine a years ago as my cousin traced our Italian roots

Turns out a family member chose to have a fling with a mafia boss wife.

He found out

They fled on a row boat to England

Ended up in Coleshill where an Italian quarter developed

Spat at

Beaten daily

Had to check in with the police every day

True story

14 weeks ago

My father was a toolmaker (my real name's Kier)

By *ot to giggleWoman
14 weeks ago

Coventry

my dad lived in a very long street, because everyone on telly when we were kids he would say that they used to live up his street

By *hePleasurerMan
14 weeks ago

Cheshire

Burnt at the stake.

By *heBigLibowskiMan
14 weeks ago

Hampshire

Never had Sky.

By *reat me rightWoman
14 weeks ago

Rotherham

One of mine was a Pendleton witch

By *zeroMan
14 weeks ago

A wretched hive of scum and villainy

Someone in my family got a one way trip to an Australian prison colony for killing someone in a fight.

So I most likely have some distant relatives in Australia.

14 weeks ago

A few murderers....makes sense really.

By *ickyKlungespeareMan
14 weeks ago

St Leonards

My Dad thought Matthew Webb (first guy to swim The Channel, died in a stupid stunt over Niagara Falls) was a great-great-great grandfather.

I researched it.

He wasn't.

Didn't have the heart to crush my Dad's lifelong delusion.

By *aGaGagging for itCouple
14 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

One of mine was an eminent Barrister who represented Oscar Wilde in the criminal libel trial of the Marquis of Queensberry.

By *allipygousMan
14 weeks ago

Leicester

My ancestors were sla@ves.

By *heBigLibowskiMan
14 weeks ago

Hampshire

"A few murderers....makes sense really."

Got to cover the real crime.