Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Observation : Time Passing

Jump to newest

By *oubleswing2019 OP   Man
5 days ago

Colchester

We all perceive time passing at different rates, do we not ? I believe that if we are busy, time seems to pass very quickly. If we are not busy, then it seems to pass very slowly. There's no great revelation in that, I feel.

My question however is more fundamental.

Since time passes in and of itself at the same rate for everyone, what is your default awareness of that passage of time regardless of your activity level or other impositions upon you ?

For example, some people who meditate can sit quietly in a room and slip in to a different state of consciousness, and 4 hours can slip by. And said individuals will not notice the passage of time, because they are hyper-focussed on their meditation.

Others are acutely aware of every minute that ticks by.

There is no right or wrong answer of course. But what is your default perception of time passing ? I suspect that there is no default setting for all of us.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ivemealadybonerWoman
5 days ago

somewhere

All I know is when I have one day off from work instead of two together, it's blink and you miss it these days

By *he love catsCouple
5 days ago

South Wales

So someone who sits around all day will feel like they've had a longer life than someone who works their arse off.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

5 days ago

East Sussex

For me time passes more quickly the older I get.

As a child six weeks summer holiday was a lifetime. Six weeks now passes in a flash.

By *pankingNorfolkCouple
5 days ago

Norwichish

Time is relative as you get older it goes quicker.

10 years old, 1 year is a tenth of your life.

50 years old, 1 year is a fiftieth

100 years old 1 year is one hundredth of your life.

Therefore it feels quicker as you get older hence why people have midlife crisis when they feel it slipping away.

By *iberius61Man
5 days ago

Pontefract

Sitting at a computer working a day just drags on. Doing an ironman, early morning sunrise until nearly midnight, it's over in a blink...a painful blink, but still goes quickly

By *het 345Man
5 days ago

Preston

Time passes the same, it's how it might feel that is different for everyone, depending on their circumstances.

By *erkshireGuyMan
5 days ago

Reading

[Removed by poster at 03/07/24 18:40:23]

By *erkshireGuyMan
5 days ago

Reading

In physics, time does pass by differently, relative to others. If you went into a black hole your time would pass 'normal' but to an onlooker you would freeze and to you, they would be sped up.

Time flies when your having fun and a watched kettle never boils are 2 sides to the same coin. Time is passing at the same rate but focusing on it, willing it to be over, elongates the perception of it when not noticing, creates an illusion of time passing quicker.

We all have limited time to use so the real question should be how to make the most of it. That's why we are on this site, to have some fun with our time... and try to last as long as we can when we are shagging!

By *ealitybitesMan
5 days ago

Belfast

I've never owned an alarm clock and when I wake during the night I can tell to within 5 minutes what time it is before I look at my watch or phone.

If I'm out in the mountains it's fairly similar but not just as exact. I know my starting time, my pace and distance travelled so I'm usually within 20 mins of the actual time without checking.

When I'm working I'm aware of time passing but not to the same degree.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
5 days ago

King's Crustacean

Time does not exist.

I have no fixed concept of time nor of the passing of time.

Time as we read it on clocks and watches is a human construct and exists only in the minds of people or nowhere at all. it was constructed on the movements of the Earth in relation to the sun. Is there an absolute time ? I've heard that in space time is different to that of the Earth .... apparently time in any particular place or as felt by us on Earth depends on an extent to the gravitational pull or size of our nearest boy in comparison.

I think it's my tea time and I know how I know that

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
5 days ago

King's Crustacean

*body* ffs

By *ilsaGeorgeCouple
5 days ago

kent

My perception of time is that it passes quickly, and it’s speeding up. Hours, days, weeks, months, they just zip by in a blink. To be honest, I find it scary.

Fun fact: time is malleable. It speeds up the closer you get to the centre of gravity. If you sync two atomic clocks and put one at the base of a mountain and one at the top, the one at the top will register fractionally less time passing. This means… that your head is younger than your feet. Weird!

Post new Message to Thread