Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Holidays when I was young

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
12 weeks ago

My parents were very hardworking when I was young. i remember going to Great Yarmouth when I was 6 and meeting Bernie Clifton

Driving to Penzance when I was 10 and listening to Billy Ocean on cassette in the car

That's the only holidays we had but they were great

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
12 weeks ago

Butlins Minehead for me.

When they had the monorail going over the outdoor pool. And the cable cars going across the site. Used to ride those back and forth all day!

And the Donkey Derby on Gaiety Green. And I used to play table tennis against my Dad in the Beachcomber building.

Ahhh getting all misty eyed thinking about it ..

By *urry BlokeMan
12 weeks ago

We never really had money for 'proper' holidays until I was in my teens

Once a year me & Dad went on a long weekend road trip - we always ended up in the same room above a pub in Salisbury

Dad was stationed down there when he was in the paras, so I think it was both familiar and reminiscent for him

By *imi_RougeWoman
12 weeks ago

Portsmouth

One of our first holidays that I remember was going to the caravan in Looe and visiting Polperro beach.

By *anManCoolMan
12 weeks ago

Camborne

Lots of fun times in South Wales for me as a kid, happy memories.

12 weeks ago

Was lucky enough to live in Newquay Cornwall as a kid. No need for holidays. My Dad laughing as a lost Emmet follows us down our close then comes to a dead end and confusion. (It was the 80’s no sat nav.)

By *ingDick68Man
12 weeks ago

Inverness and wherever else I get to travel

My first ever holiday happened when I was 22 in 2014, when I moved to Scotland. Then I just got out of debt and I was finally able to start actually living more pleasurable life. Ibiza was my first place of holiday the sad thing was that I got paid of just a week before my holidays and I couldn't just drop my first ever holiday so when I came back from it I was quite skint and no job. What a time

By *ickyKlungespeareMan
12 weeks ago

St Leonards

They locked me in the coal bunker for two weeks with a box of Bonio and access to the sewer for drinking water.

As they left, they'd say "we only love your sister" as she went away with them.

God I loved that time to myself! xx

By *allandathleticMan
12 weeks ago

Asgard

Centre parcs every year sometimes twice a year. (Before it out priced itself)

Corfu multiple times.

Menorca and majorca.

Good Times. Wish I could go back and do it all again.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
12 weeks ago

North West

Our Grandparents took us on holidays abroad, Mallorca mainly. They would pay for my aunt, uncle, cousin(s) plus me and my brother and occasionally, our Mum, to all go together. The best holidays were when Mum didn't come and spoil it. The absolute best was when they took just me and my brother one year.

Dad occasionally took us to budget Centre Parc-type places in the Netherlands or Belgium.

By *ivemealadybonerWoman
12 weeks ago

somewhere

We used to have a touring caravan, I remember going to Dorset and Blackpool mostly, when my brother stopped coming with us and I was a big unit for a 10 year old, I wasn't allowed to use the hammock thing above my sister anymore, so I got shafted out to the bedroom tent in the awning, I didn't mind, I had my own space and I didn't have to tidy it lol.

Still remember my mum packing it up every year, one year they surprised us, said we couldn't go, remember my dad taking us out leaving mum and home, which never happened as she was packing it up.

Never been abroad with my mum and dad, too late now mum is housebound

12 weeks ago

Spain every year, as a youngster I was blown away by topless sunbathers on the beach,

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

12 weeks ago

East Sussex

We didn't have yearly holidays but we went on caravan holidays a couple of times. When I was 9 we went to Pontins. I had such a lovely time I cried on the coach home

By *uenevereWoman
12 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

Lots of holidays in Scarborough and other UK beach destinations with alternative grandparents each year to share the cost of a Self-catering apartment.

We went abroad to Spain for the first time when I was about 10 after my dad got a better paid job.

By *exycarlashane181Couple
12 weeks ago

Leamington Spa

Caravan in Rhyl...

By *ear in the chairMan
12 weeks ago

Godstone

When I was young...

Dammit, still young and living the high life in Spain atm.

But as a kid, butlins and camber sands were the best

By *alcon77Man
12 weeks ago

under the sun & the moon

Road trips to Scotland.

Visiting little fishing villages in the highlands/ coast.

Looking for nessie/ the Loch Ness monster & not finding him. Heartbreaking..

By *929Man
12 weeks ago

newcastle

We always drove down to Cornwall all piled into the transit van my dad used for work in the earlier years before he had a car. My aunty and uncle would drive down at same time and we would share a chalet they were the best holidays ever till the last time we went think I was maybe 8 first year without my aunty and uncle going but we took my niece and best mate Steven broon, the caravan we stayed in was rotten and infested with woodlouse and us 3 kids had to share one bed which the dining area converted into, we took turns sleeping next to my niece as she was a little shit who would bite and scratch to top it off rained the whole holiday went from best holiday ever to worst.

Then we had our first holiday abroad and it was one’s my mam got cheap through her work, we went to Kos and soon seen why it was cheap we stayed in a block of 6 apartments miles from anywhere we had to walk about an hour to get to the beach and there was an old woman with a few goats and chickens lived in a mud hut in the field next to us, luckily half way through the company went bust and we got moved to an apartment in town, was still a decent holiday despite a few days before home a plane crash was front page headlines on papers and my dad who was already terrified of flying went nuts he disappeared the day we were due to fly home and came back absolutely mortal d*unk 5 minutes before the bus I remember sitting on an empty street with my mam stroking a stray dog thst had came to see us both worried sick. We gave up on holidays after that

By *ig1gaz1Man
12 weeks ago

bradford

we went all over the place morecambe southport brid scarbourgh skegness

morecambe before they ruined it for the elderly they killed the fair

southport for the fair always did like that funhouse there

brid ive even taken alot of children there including my own and theyve all had a great time

skegness was pottery no interest to me but had nice rock candy

great yarmouth parked up in the middle of the road out of commer camper straight across the rd and straight onto the beach and we was close to the funfair at that

had many a great time there even cut my earlobe of on the slide it healed up ok but the friends ive made over the years from there is surprising and ive met them in later life and weve recognised each other and that goes for both the ladies and men as we was all a big crowd having great fun there

Post new Message to Thread