FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Once you understand the power of calorie counting.

Jump to newest

By *hagTonight OP   Man
3 days ago

From the land of haribos.

Once you understand the power of calorie counting reaching your dieting goals becomes easy, because you will have a better understand and getting good at knowing how many calories therein things just by eyeballing it.

For example, you could put a hamburger and fries in front of me from any restaurant and I willbe able to look at it and tell you, ok, that is probably about a 45g carb bun, that is a thickcut, that is probably about 40g of protein in the patty, that is definitely fatty plus mayonnaise and cheese, that is about 25 to 30 gram of fats there.

What is your view about it, do you track calories? I track mine and I have a goodunderstanding abut it and how it works. I use it to my advantage depending on what my diet goals are

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iker JackMan
3 days ago

Wolverhampton

Whilst accepting calorie counting is an effective way of losing weight it can also be not so good

Large calorie deficits means the body will eat muscle and not fat, it holds on to fat as that is what keeps it processing.

That’s why big weight losses can equal big gains as it will replace muscle when extra calories are added

It’s also about understanding low fat can equal high sugar and low sugar can equal high fat

For me understanding is important, as in use more than you take on and you should slowly lose weight.

But the question is why are you counting?

To lose a few pounds, a few stone, to strip body fat for a competition or to make conscious healthy options

I have always said the bigger issue is you can feed a family or yourself processed food for a much smaller price than you can the healthier options

By *ickyKlungespeareMan
3 days ago

St Leonards

I tend not to "just" count calories because it depends what form those calories come in, although calorific intake is a useful guide for sure.

3,000 calories of white sugar as daily food will do me a lot of damage whereas 3,000 calories of fruit, veg, meat etc will do a lot of good.

But I did burn off 8,000 calories yesterday, and put 3,000 in.

Today, I'm a zombie .

By *ivemealadybonerWoman
3 days ago

somewhere

I track mine from herbs to the milk I put in my tea (even alcohol), I weigh everything (I even have a jug with my daily allowance of milk).

If someone cooks for me I over estimate the calories (if my fitness pal tells me that a generic shepherds pie for example is xxx I'll add another 100 calories on to it), if I go to a restaurant I'd rather go somewhere that has the calories on the menu.

If I treat myself to a bacon roll like I did the other day (first time I had proper bacon in months) I have a much less in terms of calories for the rest of the day, I rarely have a chest day, I've been really good with not caving in, the only time in the last 6 months I've gone off plan is when I've been away twice but even then I've been mindful and not gone super silly.

There are foods I tend to stay away from, as while I am good, I know if I was to have a pack of cookies, I'll eat the whole damn packet.

I even allow myself chocolate and crisps daily as these are foods I still enjoy, I just choose lower calorie ones x

By *onkoMan
3 days ago

here and there

I count every one

It takes a lot to maintain this temple to food

By *ellhungvweMan
3 days ago

Cheltenham

I don’t tend to count calories anymore but that’s because I usually the eat the same quantity/types of things over a weekly period and I now know how various weekly quantities of food affect me and what I need to eat to maintain where I am or where I want to get to.

Moving to a weekly diet is much easier than trying to beat yourself up on a daily thing.

By *ickyKlungespeareMan
3 days ago

St Leonards

"I count every one.

As leader of the clique, I must maintain this temple to food for the insignificant little people to draw sustenance and inspiration from"

Really Wonko?

Really!

By *ittlemissmistressKCouple
3 days ago

Southampton

I don't... this is why I'm the size/shape I am ....

By *onkoMan
3 days ago

here and there

"I count every one.

As leader of the clique, I must maintain this temple to food for the insignificant little people to draw sustenance and inspiration from

Really Wonko?

Really!"

Not really

By *neforutoMan
3 days ago

Fantasy land in the SW

Ive done the calorie thing and for me it didnt help in the long term plan. I burn about 3k a day, as an old fart Im still pretty active, but really struggle on understanding the suger/fat equation

By *ickyKlungespeareMan
3 days ago

St Leonards

"I count every one.

As leader of the clique, I must maintain this temple to food for the insignificant little people to draw sustenance and inspiration from

Really Wonko?

Really!

Not really "

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
3 days ago

King's Crustacean

Eat real food and there is no need to calorie count.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
3 days ago

King's Crustacean

"Eat real food and there is no need to calorie count. "

AND move ffs.

By *idnight RamblerMan
3 days ago

Pershore

I do this subconsciously I think. Looking at that iced doughnut a voice inside is saying "seriously?"

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
3 days ago

King's Crustacean

"I do this subconsciously I think. Looking at that iced doughnut a voice inside is saying "seriously?""

If I find myself looking at a ring doughnut , I just eat the hole and leave the rest.

By *rsKOTCTWoman
3 days ago

Leeds

I don't count calories & this is probably why I'm the weight I am.

By *aughty_Smooth_OperatorMan
3 days ago

Birmingham

You only live once so no counting for me and even if I did what’s to say I got hit by a bus or died in an car accident or something, not worth all that hassle enjoy what ever you can eat be happy enjoy life and not worry ohh I’ve eaten 5 extra calories today quick burn them off

By *ortyairCouple
3 days ago

Wallasey

"I tend not to "just" count calories because it depends what form those calories come in, although calorific intake is a useful guide for sure.

3,000 calories of white sugar as daily food will do me a lot of damage whereas 3,000 calories of fruit, veg, meat etc will do a lot of good.

Today, I'm a zombie ."

What did you do to burn 8000 calories?

Mrs x

By *ptimus758Man
3 days ago

brentwood

I track everything, I love strength training so just eat the same food daily and maybe change it up a bit on a Saturday and I keep well hydrated, plus I rarely drink and don’t smoke, it works for me

By *ensualplay69Man
3 days ago

slough

Counting calories is fake by the way,just saying.

By *pagedMan
3 days ago

Doncaster

How do you find out how to count them ?

By *ivemealadybonerWoman
3 days ago

somewhere

"Counting calories is fake by the way,just saying."

Even if it is, counting them has helped me to lose 36lbs in six months so something is working lol

By *iker JackMan
3 days ago

Wolverhampton

"Counting calories is fake by the way,just saying.

Even if it is, counting them has helped me to lose 36lbs in six months so something is working lol"

That’s amazing

By *itSurreyCoupleCouple
3 days ago

Reigate

"Counting calories is fake by the way,just saying."

Fake how exactly?

By *ivemealadybonerWoman
3 days ago

somewhere

"How do you find out how to count them ? "

I personally use my fitness pal, there are others but this is the one I found easiest to use. You can put your height, current weight etc in and it gives you your daily intake, really helped me to lose weight.

By *ripfillMan
3 days ago

havant

I did

Then I didn’t

What I found useful was weighing my self every day first thing then knowing how the day was going ref eating

Eating “real food “ as the thread above suggests is wise if you can.

Alcohol is sadly is a killer for stacking the on the calories .

Swimming is a regular for me if the sea is less polluted ie not in the rainy season

Actual calories counting is difficult but once your understand and can weigh it makes sense

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
3 days ago

BRIDPORT

I don’t, Shag, I don’t count them at all.

I’m guessing sugary things are higher and vice versus, that’s as far as it goes.

I eat the food I enjoy, in sensible quantities and I have a physically active job.

At my annual assessment in the quacks they always ask me to step on the scales and my weight has never been a subject of concern.

By *ot to giggleWoman
3 days ago

Coventry

i look at food and think, wow that needs eating, and somedays i dont eat as much!!

i actually quite like salad, but then i have to grate loads of cheese on it and add mayo!! but counting it!! na - too much effort

By *ensualplay69Man
3 days ago

slough

Fake how exactly? "

what's on the label is not the exact calories. You want to lose weight then cut out sugar and eat real foods, might want to avoid some fruits aswell as they have sugar, avoid rice, potatoes. Its all good a well counting calories but the calories stated on products are not correct and companies are allowed a margin of mistake of upto 20% so technically you could be counting and still having a high intake

By *ouples_EroticaXXXCouple
3 days ago

leeds

"Once you understand the power of calorie counting reaching your dieting goals becomes easy, because you will have a better understand and getting good at knowing how many calories therein things just by eyeballing it.

For example, you could put a hamburger and fries in front of me from any restaurant and I willbe able to look at it and tell you, ok, that is probably about a 45g carb bun, that is a thickcut, that is probably about 40g of protein in the patty, that is definitely fatty plus mayonnaise and cheese, that is about 25 to 30 gram of fats there.

What is your view about it, do you track calories? I track mine and I have a goodunderstanding abut it and how it works. I use it to my advantage depending on what my diet goals are "

It’s a great way to live a boring life

By *iker JackMan
3 days ago

Wolverhampton

"I did

Then I didn’t

What I found useful was weighing my self every day first thing then knowing how the day was going ref eating

Eating “real food “ as the thread above suggests is wise if you can.

Alcohol is sadly is a killer for stacking the on the calories .

Swimming is a regular for me if the sea is less polluted ie not in the rainy season

Actual calories counting is difficult but once your understand and can weigh it makes sense

"

How is weighing yourself everyday productive?

I was always told weigh yourself once a week, you can have different levels of water intake especially in this weather that can add to weight. Also woman can have different levels of weight depending on where they are at within the menstrual cycle

I would have thought that daily weighing can be misleading.

I find measurements are easier. Arms, hips, thighs, stomach etc but still accept differences as muscle gain increases measurement and weight

By *aughty_Smooth_OperatorMan
3 days ago

Birmingham

"Once you understand the power of calorie counting reaching your dieting goals becomes easy, because you will have a better understand and getting good at knowing how many calories therein things just by eyeballing it.

What is your view about it, do you track calories? I track mine and I have a goodunderstanding abut it and how it works. I use it to my advantage depending on what my diet goals are

It’s a great way to live a boring life"

By *rMonkeyMan
3 days ago

Somewhere

[Removed by poster at 26/06/24 08:27:09]

By *rMonkeyMan
3 days ago

Somewhere

Fake how exactly? what's on the label is not the exact calories. You want to lose weight then cut out sugar and eat real foods, might want to avoid some fruits aswell as they have sugar, avoid rice, potatoes. Its all good a well counting calories but the calories stated on products are not correct and companies are allowed a margin of mistake of upto 20% so technically you could be counting and still having a high intake "

You don't need to cut out sugar, carbs, fruit, rice or potatoes to lose weight. I dropped 10lbs quite easily still eating 240g of carbs a day, potatoes, fruit and rice and got bodyfat down to 13-14%. It's absolutely nonsense. The carbohydrates insulin model that everyone uses has been proven to be wrong.

Yes lables aren't exactly accurate but as with many things losing weight is about consistency, over time it averages out and calorie counting does work.

As for the guy saying big losses means losing a lot of muscle, not true. If you eat adequate protein, provide stimulus at or near to failure in the gym you'll retain most of your muscle, you'll lose a little but can be kept to a minimum.

By *wistntwirlCouple
3 days ago

Middle Land

I track intermittently. Not so bothered about weight (keep an eye on hip/waist ratio instead of that) but I find it useful to track the balance of nutrients plus to remember what's a sensible sized portion. It also helps me choose snacks based on their nutritional value rather than just eating shit.

By *wistntwirlCouple
3 days ago

Middle Land

"I have always said the bigger issue is you can feed a family or yourself processed food for a much smaller price than you can the healthier options

"

In which case the bigger issue is a need to learn to cook, budget and shop. Healthier options don't need to be expensive, particularly for families where you can cook in bulk.

By *ad NannaWoman
3 days ago

East London

Chocolate is real, yes?

Oh and there are 35 calories in 100ml Cherry Lucozade.

By *ad NannaWoman
3 days ago

East London

Fake how exactly? what's on the label is not the exact calories. You want to lose weight then cut out sugar and eat real foods, might want to avoid some fruits aswell as they have sugar, avoid rice, potatoes. Its all good a well counting calories but the calories stated on products are not correct and companies are allowed a margin of mistake of upto 20% so technically you could be counting and still having a high intake

You don't need to cut out sugar, carbs, fruit, rice or potatoes to lose weight. I dropped 10lbs quite easily still eating 240g of carbs a day, potatoes, fruit and rice and got bodyfat down to 13-14%. It's absolutely nonsense. The carbohydrates insulin model that everyone uses has been proven to be wrong.

Yes lables aren't exactly accurate but as with many things losing weight is about consistency, over time it averages out and calorie counting does work.

As for the guy saying big losses means losing a lot of muscle, not true. If you eat adequate protein, provide stimulus at or near to failure in the gym you'll retain most of your muscle, you'll lose a little but can be kept to a minimum.

"

I lost 2 stone and still drank Lucozade and ate chocolate every day.

By *rHotNottsMan
3 days ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Millions of years of evolution taught me everything I need to know about food.

Generally, the unhealthiest people I know are those on constantly on diets & counting / measuring everything.

By *odgerMooreMan
3 days ago

Carlisle

No - and the resulting clump of hot sexiness that is Todger is the result… other people may have a different description but they mean hot sexiness

By *lue RascalMan
3 days ago

Cheshire

" i look at food and think, wow that needs eating"

This. Unless it’s a pork pie.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
3 days ago

BRIDPORT

"Eat real food and there is no need to calorie count.

Chocolate is real, yes?

Oh and there are 35 calories in 100ml Cherry Lucozade. "

Yeah but who the fuck just drinks 100mls, once the bottles open it has to be d*unk, right?

I have 1 or 2 900 ml bottles of Orange Lucozade a day.

By *hiversMan
3 days ago

Dinas Powys

I used to be fastidious, but nowadays I tend to ball park calories rather than try and be super accurate. I track protein intake, and just let the rest naturally distribute between carbs and fat.

I find it's good enough to stay in reasonable shape year round, and allows me to not be too restrictive about what I eat.

By *ensualplay69Man
3 days ago

slough

Chocolate is real, yes?

Oh and there are 35 calories in 100ml Cherry Lucozade. "

you know god dam well chocolate isn't real unless we are talking about a person

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

3 days ago

East Sussex

No I don't count calories.

I do have an underactive thyroid for which I take medication, this affects my blood sugar levels so I have to be a bit careful with carbohydrates.

By *Buster-Man
3 days ago

Mold

I just eat what I want, can't be asked with calorie counting

By *wistntwirlCouple
3 days ago

Middle Land

"Millions of years of evolution taught me everything I need to know about food."

Don't eat red berries?

By *reeneyes40Man
3 days ago

cambridge

These days I try to make sure I’m getting enough protein and the right sorts of foods like fruit, veg, wheat, the right fats etc.

Hydration really important too obvs.

Don’t count calories though, and never weigh anything except myself once a month ish.

It’s all about balance and it being a lifestyle I enjoy and can maintain.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
3 days ago

"Whilst accepting calorie counting is an effective way of losing weight it can also be not so good

Large calorie deficits means the body will eat muscle and not fat, it holds on to fat as that is what keeps it processing.

That’s why big weight losses can equal big gains as it will replace muscle when extra calories are added

It’s also about understanding low fat can equal high sugar and low sugar can equal high fat

For me understanding is important, as in use more than you take on and you should slowly lose weight.

To lose a few pounds, a few stone, to strip body fat for a competition or to make conscious healthy options

I have always said the bigger issue is you can feed a family or yourself processed food for a much smaller price than you can the healthier options

"

Yes, the best way is to diet slowly, that is good understanding is important to you. I am counting the calories as I am maintaining my 6pack, the way I am dieting with low calories is to make calorie smart options, like choosing voluminous foods, like vegetables, that way one can eat a lot for less calories too.

By *nnCeeWoman
3 days ago

East Surrey

" chocolate isn't real "

It absolutely fking is!!

There's some in the team food box and I can see it, so can my colleague, therefore it is real, and not a figment of imagination

By *igR93Man
3 days ago

Sarcasm City

I’ve gotten myself to a level where my body fat is a consistent 10-12% more so 12%

So the only time I really create a deficit for myself is during June/July/August to sit around 8%

I’m more of an intuitive eater, I know my macros and micros so I adjust circa -150 or +150 dependent on what my goals are

Calorie counting is great if you’re just starting out or if you’ve plateaud but I wouldn’t recommend anyone to make a habit of it.

By *ivemealadybonerWoman
3 days ago

somewhere

"Whilst accepting calorie counting is an effective way of losing weight it can also be not so good

Yes, the best way is to diet slowly, that is good understanding is important to you. I am counting the calories as I am maintaining my 6pack, the way I am dieting with low calories is to make calorie smart options, like choosing voluminous foods, like vegetables, that way one can eat a lot for less calories too."

The key for me is to not call it a diet, it's changing my diet, helps my mindset. We batch cook mostly now, I'd say 5 meals out of 7 is homemade and portion controlled, we have easily saved money doing it this way too, without a doubt.

When I think back to my portion sizes before, 2 Kiev's instead of one for example, handfuls of chips, even the chilli we have, we would have made a 500g mince split between two and can easily make that last two meals now.

The upsides of cooking from scratch too as helped my MH no end too as I didn't have much going on before and now I enjoy cooking, I like seeing what goes into my food.

I do have chicken nuggets now and again, with a huge salad but again, instead of having 10, I'll have 5.

By *ickyKlungespeareMan
3 days ago

St Leonards

"I tend not to "just" count calories because it depends what form those calories come in, although calorific intake is a useful guide for sure.

Today, I'm a zombie .What did you do to burn 8000 calories?

Mrs x"

3 tennis matches.

Lost 2, won 1.

By *ivemealadybonerWoman
3 days ago

somewhere

Mrs x

3 tennis matches.

Lost 2, won 1."

I didn't know you were playing in Eastbourne this week!

By *ot to giggleWoman
3 days ago

Coventry

" i look at food and think, wow that needs eating

This. Unless it’s a pork pie. "

Do you not like pork pies has to be Melbury .. or is it Melton! I dont stare at the wrapper long enough

By *ickyKlungespeareMan
3 days ago

St Leonards

Mrs x

3 tennis matches.

Lost 2, won 1.

I didn't know you were playing in Eastbourne this week!"

I took my Mum there last year.

Well, the last remaining bit of her ashes, in a nice little enamelled love heart container.

She always wanted to go

By *pagedMan
3 days ago

Doncaster

"How do you find out how to count them ?

I personally use my fitness pal, there are others but this is the one I found easiest to use. You can put your height, current weight etc in and it gives you your daily intake, really helped me to lose weight."

By *ot to giggleWoman
3 days ago

Coventry

Or go sit ot ya car waiting for next appointment and sweat ig off!!

By *lue RascalMan
3 days ago

Cheshire

Do you not like pork pies has to be Melbury .. or is it Melton! I dont stare at the wrapper long enough "

Absolutely not Can’t even rescue it by adding cheese.

By *ot to giggleWoman
3 days ago

Coventry

Do you not like pork pies has to be Melbury .. or is it Melton! I dont stare at the wrapper long enough

Absolutely not Can’t even rescue it by adding cheese. "

But your into lettice? Your profile refers to iceberg!

You like cheese?

By *igR93Man
3 days ago

Sarcasm City

Yes, the best way is to diet slowly, that is good understanding is important to you. I am counting the calories as I am maintaining my 6pack, the way I am dieting with low calories is to make calorie smart options, like choosing voluminous foods, like vegetables, that way one can eat a lot for less calories too.

The key for me is to not call it a diet, it's changing my diet, helps my mindset. We batch cook mostly now, I'd say 5 meals out of 7 is homemade and portion controlled, we have easily saved money doing it this way too, without a doubt.

When I think back to my portion sizes before, 2 Kiev's instead of one for example, handfuls of chips, even the chilli we have, we would have made a 500g mince split between two and can easily make that last two meals now.

The upsides of cooking from scratch too as helped my MH no end too as I didn't have much going on before and now I enjoy cooking, I like seeing what goes into my food.

I do have chicken nuggets now and again, with a huge salad but again, instead of having 10, I'll have 5."

I detest the word dieting

People start off on the wrong foot straight away by referring to something as a diet rather than making a lifestyle change, it is ultimately about changing your habits and lifestyle instead of dieting

By *ivemealadybonerWoman
3 days ago

somewhere

I do have chicken nuggets now and again, with a huge salad but again, instead of having 10, I'll have 5.

I detest the word dieting

People start off on the wrong foot straight away by referring to something as a diet rather than making a lifestyle change, it is ultimately about changing your habits and lifestyle instead of dieting "

Exactly, for me it was a lifestyle change, I've been on so many diets over the years and really made me miserable but this time round, I haven't been, never been hungry (even when I was on very low calories back in the beginning before I really understood it all), so many people ask me "are you having this, that etc" and I'm like "nope, the moment I go near a ryvita or skimmed milk is the moment I'll lose interest" and I have stuck to it for 6 months now, longest I ever have and I am seeing huge differences in my body, so much so I can't believe it's me sometimes and it's coming off slowly but that's ok, I'm not on a race to do it, I'd rather lose it like this than really quicky and then risk putting it all back on again x

By *pandjMan
3 days ago

yeovil

Been consistent at the gym since December 22 but only really thought about my food intake for the last 5 months.

If I'm working my arse off I wanna be eating enough to make the most of any gains. Currently on a daily250cal surplus and it's hard getting enough food in especially if I've been for some CV that day.

Was on a 500cal daily deficit for 3 months to get my bf percentage down and loved the way I looked naked. Could've probably cut down more but lifts were stalling.

Try and get enough protein as my main goal then fats and then carbs.

Granted I know there's a margin of error but better than just guessing and also need the app for accountability reasons.

By *ucka39Man
3 days ago

Newcastle

Not much of me to begin with and fast metabolism, I don't need to watch what I eat unless I don't like it

By *iving Bi a TryMan
3 days ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

OP, I'm not sure I'm following your first post.

You talk about calorie counting, but then show how well you can estimate the volume of fat. Surely there must be another part to your process because at that stage in your example you haven't shown how many calories there are?

Gbat

By *ortyairCouple
3 days ago

Wallasey

Mrs x

3 tennis matches.

Lost 2, won 1."

So how do you know it was 8000 calories? Does that include the 3000 calories you ate?

Average Basal metabolism means everyone uses approx 2000 calories a day doing nothing but you then added 3000 on top. To lose 8000 is an astronomical figure.

It's the equivalent of walking 150000 steps or running for 19 hours, it's a lot.

Sorry for being a pain in the arse but we'll done you if you've actually managed this.

Great effort,

Mrs x

By *lue RascalMan
3 days ago

Cheshire

Absolutely not Can’t even rescue it by adding cheese.

But your into lettice? Your profile refers to iceberg!

You like cheese? "

Now that was cheesy I like that cheese.

By *iberius61Man
3 days ago

Pontefract

I used to keep track in Myfitness and garmin, but then I swapped to coros and it doesn't have the same functionality. But I'm training for Barcelona ironman in October, so I do watch what I eat.

Probably slightly different to most as if I'm doing say a 100 mile ride, then I will fuel that with simple carbs (glucose mostly), sipped every 15mins to replicate what I'm doing in the race. Hydration supplied by electrolyte drinks, kept very separate from nutrition. It's not really possible to digest more complex foods when you're exercising, but some people do benefit from protein during exercise. Same with run training, say a 2 hour run will similarly be fueled mostly with carbs. Protein for me will be consumed after exercise.

By *ickyKlungespeareMan
3 days ago

St Leonards

"So how do you know it was 8000 calories? Does that include the 3000 calories you ate?

Average Basal metabolism means everyone uses approx 2000 calories a day doing nothing but you then added 3000 on top. To lose 8000 is an astronomical figure.

It's the equivalent of walking 150000 steps or running for 19 hours, it's a lot.

Sorry for being a pain in the arse but we'll done you if you've actually managed this.

Great effort,

Mrs x"

First of all Mrs, you get the x I missed off my first reply, and another x for this.

Because you give a x, you get them back in equal measure .

So....

I burned 8,000, put 3,000 in. Net loss 5,000.

I have a MyZone strappy watchy thing, which has proved remarkably accurate (a pound of fat is approx 3,500 calories - I lost 5 stone last year and the calorific accounting from MyZone compared to my weight loss is highly accurate, assessed over a 6 month period).

I'm 21.5 stone now, and at my best 17 stone. 16 I look stringy.

So, because I'm still 4.5 stone overweight (not using BMI methods etc, but knowledge of when I feel and look my best) I burn 3,000 calories a day just to live (basal).

Also, because I'm 4.5 stone overweight, I burn far more calories than someone who isn't when playing tennis etc.

I had the MyZone on for just less than ten hours yesterday - warm up, matches, breaks between matches, lunch, warm downs etc.

It registered 7,536 calories.

Over almost 10 hours. The other 14 hours in the day (including sleep, which also burns calories) would have accounted for a fair few more.

Probably 1500 more, in which case I low-balled it with 8,000 burned, because it's closer to 9,000.

So I'm being gentle today, with a light gym trip tomorrow and Saturday to get everything stretched out and prepared for the batch of tennis next week - which won't be as intense.

And x for luck.

By *ansoffateMan
3 days ago

Sagittarius A

There's several studies which demonstrate that calorie counting can be a causal factor in eating disorders affecting both physical issues e.g. higher levels of restriction and cognitive symptoms affecting black and white thinking, perfectionism and low self-worth.

I don't believe it's healthy to become overly focused on calorie counting.

By *ickyKlungespeareMan
3 days ago

St Leonards

"There's several studies which demonstrate that calorie counting can be a causal factor in eating disorders affecting both physical issues e.g. higher levels of restriction and cognitive symptoms affecting black and white thinking, perfectionism and low self-worth.

"

Agreed completely .

By *oydykeWoman
3 days ago

Southampton (they/them)

I’m in eating disorder recovery so can’t calorie count but I can also accurately guess the calories of something in front of me which is a perk of my Ed I guess

By *hagTonight OP   Man
3 days ago

[Removed by poster at 26/06/24 13:00:09]

By *hagTonight OP   Man
3 days ago

I do have chicken nuggets now and again, with a huge salad but again, instead of having 10, I'll have 5."

That is good you see it as changing the diet, it is the same here. I dont see it as a diet, as it doesnt feel like dieting. I like the process, yes, portion control is they key, batch cooking is a good idea that you are doing as it will also save time by doing it

By *ortyairCouple
3 days ago

Wallasey

"So how do you know it was 8000 calories? Does that include the 3000 calories you ate?

Great effort,

Mrs x

First of all Mrs, you get the x I missed off my first reply, and another x for this.

So....

I have a MyZone strappy watchy thing, which has proved remarkably accurate (a pound of fat is approx 3,500 calories - I lost 5 stone last year and the calorific accounting from MyZone compared to my weight loss is highly accurate, assessed over a 6 month period).

So, because I'm still 4.5 stone overweight (not using BMI methods etc, but knowledge of when I feel and look my best) I burn 3,000 calories a day just to live (basal).

Also, because I'm 4.5 stone overweight, I burn far more calories than someone who isn't when playing tennis etc.

I had the MyZone on for just less than ten hours yesterday - warm up, matches, breaks between matches, lunch, warm downs etc.

Over almost 10 hours. The other 14 hours in the day (including sleep, which also burns calories) would have accounted for a fair few more.

Probably 1500 more, in which case I low-balled it with 8,000 burned, because it's closer to 9,000.

So I'm being gentle today, with a light gym trip tomorrow and Saturday to get everything stretched out and prepared for the batch of tennis next week - which won't be as intense.

And x for luck."

If you are doing it to lose weight than keep it up and you'll soon reach your goal. You sound like you are pretty dedicated to it. Do you enjoy it or is it a struggle?

Mrs x

By *atty CoramWoman
3 days ago

Wimbledon

Calorie counting, to me personally, is anathema to enjoying food.

I couldnt do it... and I wouldnt want to be around someone who engaged in such draconian measures...

everything tastes better than skinny feels to subvert a Kate Moss-ism..

I have nothing but respect for people who demonstrate restraint in their life choices though.

I would rather count sheep.

By *rHotNottsMan
3 days ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"There's several studies which demonstrate that calorie counting can be a causal factor in eating disorders affecting both physical issues e.g. higher levels of restriction and cognitive symptoms affecting black and white thinking, perfectionism and low self-worth.

Agreed completely ."

Those who work providing theray and support to people with eating disorders are all in agreement that calorie counting is an eating disorder.

Any kind of obsessive relationship with food it’s unhealthy

By *ickyKlungespeareMan
3 days ago

St Leonards

Great effort,

Mrs x

So....

And x for luck.If you are doing it to lose weight than keep it up and you'll soon reach your goal. You sound like you are pretty dedicated to it. Do you enjoy it or is it a struggle?

Mrs x"

I'm doing it because I love tennis, and I get better at tennis as I lose weight.

I think it's very important with weight/health not to get into the injunctions of "I must lose weight or.....".

My mind is - "I fucking love tennis, and dancing, and shagging, and they're even more fun when I am fitter".

So the positives stimulate the desires, rather than the usual negatives of "I'm fat and I smell and I'm ugly and everyone hates me".

That's an exaggeration (a brutal one), but a lot of people go through that arc of self-loathing.

Which is guaranteed to fuck your mental health, and near-guaranteed to fuck meaningful weight-loss/physical health too x

By *rHotNottsMan
3 days ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Great effort,

Mrs x

So....

And x for luck.If you are doing it to lose weight than keep it up and you'll soon reach your goal. You sound like you are pretty dedicated to it. Do you enjoy it or is it a struggle?

Mrs x

I'm doing it because I love tennis, and I get better at tennis as I lose weight.

I think it's very important with weight/health not to get into the injunctions of "I must lose weight or.....".

My mind is - "I fucking love tennis, and dancing, and shagging, and they're even more fun when I am fitter".

So the positives stimulate the desires, rather than the usual negatives of "I'm fat and I smell and I'm ugly and everyone hates me".

That's an exaggeration (a brutal one), but a lot of people go through that arc of self-loathing.

Which is guaranteed to fuck your mental health, and near-guaranteed to fuck meaningful weight-loss/physical health too x"

I think it took me to the age of about 40 to realise the right drivers/metrics to train and eat well are health, immunity, vitality, strength, stamina, endurance, recovery time, fewer injuries, not a single aesthetic target.

By *ickyKlungespeareMan
3 days ago

St Leonards

Great effort,

Mrs x

So....

Mrs x

Which is guaranteed to fuck your mental health, and near-guaranteed to fuck meaningful weight-loss/physical health too x

I think it took me to the age of about 40 to realise the right drivers/metrics to train and eat well are health, immunity, vitality, strength, stamina, endurance, recovery time, fewer injuries, not a single aesthetic target."

I've certainly noticed more of a "what do I want for me?" rather than a "what does everyone else want me to be?" as I've aged - which I think is part of what you're saying here?

By *iberius61Man
3 days ago

Pontefract

"...Those who work providing theray and support to people with eating disorders are all in agreement that calorie counting is an eating disorder."

Sadly working with people with eating disorders give them a very lopsided view though. Take a simple one day event like an ironman, I have to swim about 4,000m at effort, followed by 180km on the bike, followed by a 42.2km run. If I don't calorie count I'm quite likely to be in trouble. Either I'll suffer from glycogen deficiency and bonk, or just as bad I'll overload and end up throwing up on the side of the road. Calorie counting, usually done in the form of grams of carb/hour/per kg body weight is pretty much essenial, now expand that to a longer multi day event... calling it an eating disorder just highlights how narrow their view is.

By *ad NannaWoman
3 days ago

East London

Chocolate is real, yes?

Yeah but who the fuck just drinks 100mls, once the bottles open it has to be d*unk, right?

I have 1 or 2 900 ml bottles of Orange Lucozade a day. "

I used to drink one 900ml bottle of Cherry Lucozade every day.

I can't get it now so it's Pepsi Max and/or Original Coke.

By *eah BabyCouple
3 days ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

Never counted calories, never been on a diet, think if I did try it I’d eat more than usual, I’m more of a if I like it I’ll eat it kind of person

By *hagTonight OP   Man
2 days ago

You are right there, although you still have to count the calories if you have a fitness goal, you can still gain weight if you eat too much of it too

By *oydykeWoman
2 days ago

Southampton (they/them)

Chocolate is real, yes?

I can't get it now so it's Pepsi Max and/or Original Coke."

Cherry Lucozade is the best thing to ever grace this planet and it’s just been ripped out of my hands tho they still sell the 500ml bottles so I suppose it’s not all bad

By *ora the explorerWoman
2 days ago

Paradise, Herts

My view is don’t eat too much shit, everything in moderation and do exercise.

Most people who are overweight know why they are overweight (including me). The correct mindset to do something about it is more difficult.

By *igR93Man
2 days ago

Sarcasm City

Chocolate is real, yes?

I can't get it now so it's Pepsi Max and/or Original Coke.

Cherry Lucozade is the best thing to ever grace this planet and it’s just been ripped out of my hands tho they still sell the 500ml bottles so I suppose it’s not all bad "

They’ve got pink lemonade zero cal lucozade which is very similar in taste

By *hagTonight OP   Man
2 days ago

"I track mine from herbs to the milk I put in my tea (even alcohol), I weigh everything (I even have a jug with my daily allowance of milk).

If someone cooks for me I over estimate the calories (if my fitness pal tells me that a generic shepherds pie for example is xxx I'll add another 100 calories on to it), if I go to a restaurant I'd rather go somewhere that has the calories on the menu.

If I treat myself to a bacon roll like I did the other day (first time I had proper bacon in months) I have a much less in terms of calories for the rest of the day, I rarely have a chest day, I've been really good with not caving in, the only time in the last 6 months I've gone off plan is when I've been away twice but even then I've been mindful and not gone super silly.

There are foods I tend to stay away from, as while I am good, I know if I was to have a pack of cookies, I'll eat the whole damn packet.

I even allow myself chocolate and crisps daily as these are foods I still enjoy, I just choose lower calorie ones x"

Hi giveme, that is good you track those things from the herbs to the milk, yes overestimating is a good idea when others are cooking for you, the kind of strategy that I like to use is calorie cycling, so if others are cooking for you that day. I have a day or 2 of low calories to even it out for the weekly calories too x

By *hiteWitchXXXWoman
2 days ago

North Wales

What is your view about it, do you track calories? I track mine and I have a goodunderstanding abut it and how it works. I use it to my advantage depending on what my diet goals are "

I dont tend to focus on calories but more on the GI index of foods ... for me I've found that if insulin levels are low weight shifts

By *r Mrs FuckableCouple
2 days ago

Stoke

We've both lost over 2 stone between us in the last 10 weeks for our holiday abroad by being in calorie defecit, so it does work. Maximum of 1500 calories a day.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
2 days ago

"We've both lost over 2 stone between us in the last 10 weeks for our holiday abroad by being in calorie defecit, so it does work. Maximum of 1500 calories a day. "
Well done for the weight loss too

By *r Mrs FuckableCouple
2 days ago

Stoke

"We've both lost over 2 stone between us in the last 10 weeks for our holiday abroad by being in calorie defecit, so it does work. Maximum of 1500 calories a day. Well done for the weight loss too "

Thank you

By *hagTonight OP   Man
2 days ago

I dont tend to focus on calories but more on the GI index of foods ... for me I've found that if insulin levels are low weight shifts "

That is good to focus on the gi index foods too

Post new Message to Thread