Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Why do people hate gay people?

Jump to newest

By *oydyke OP   Woman
13 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

I don’t know why I do it to myself. I saw a lovely ad from Tesco about pride and half of the comments are full of hatred. Why? Why do people hate us? Why do people hate me?

I’m very confident in my sexuality and I’m unapologetic about it, but there’s times where I have a wobble and think, Christ, people really do hate me just for existing.

But WHY? I’ll never understand it. Why do people hate gay people? Why do people hate LGBT people? I really can’t wrap my head around it.

And before anyone starts, I don’t care about your thoughts on the ‘woke agenda’ or whether ‘gay people are shoving it down your throats.’ Pride month exists because people hate us. If people didn’t hate us, pride month wouldn’t exist; continuing that hatred makes pride month happen every single year.

I just simply want to know why people hate gay people.

(I’ve been on a philosophical run lately, so I know this is an unanswerable question. I think I’m just looking for somewhere to put this sadness and anger.)

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *ongAndThick123Man
13 weeks ago

Leeds

The comments are full of cynicism which is articulated in a way that seems like hatred.

I’m bi, and it does my head in all of the over-representation of not only sexuality, but also of a specific type of person of that sexuality. It’s been non-stop for years now and it’s getting annoying.

Not because of those people themselves, but because it’s patronising and it’s the opposite of inclusive. Also it’s irritating because companies don’t care, they just want money and to tick internal boxes that they have.

Over-representation is a real thing btw, and it’s negative effects are well documented too.

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
13 weeks ago

A nice rock

Simple answer is because its easy I think.

People hate fear what they dont understand.

People find easy targets to lash out at and step on when they need to feel better about themselves.

Gay People are one of those easy targets for multiple reasons.

As what to do with those feelings you said it in your own post pride exists because of the hate and discrimination.

So pour those negative emotions back into positive things for your own community and other minority groups.

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
13 weeks ago

Hate is a strong word. Not sure its true as a general rule in the UK in 2024. You should have lived in the 70s and 80s - the abuse then was significant and cultural. It was also only in 1967 that homosexuality was decriminalised, so periods before were even worse. I think things are quite liberal now (and that's coming from an older cis straight male!)

Reply privately

By *rucking-HellMan
13 weeks ago

Northampton

People probably hate the contrivance of forced ideology distorting actual reality than hating gay people. It's the same thing as people hating adverts showing mostly non whites these days etc.

Reply privately

By *inister_SpinsterWoman
13 weeks ago

North West

Fear and Ignorance fuel hate OP.

All we can do is stand up and be visible against that hate.

Reply privately

By *oydyke OP   Woman
13 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

"The comments are full of cynicism which is articulated in a way that seems like hatred.

I’m bi, and it does my head in all of the over-representation of not only sexuality, but also of a specific type of person of that sexuality. It’s been non-stop for years now and it’s getting annoying.

Not because of those people themselves, but because it’s patronising and it’s the opposite of inclusive. Also it’s irritating because companies don’t care, they just want money and to tick internal boxes that they have.

Over-representation is a real thing btw, and it’s negative effects are well documented too. "

While I agree that companies don’t particularly care about minority groups like LGBT members and they just want money (because capitalism will always breed greed), I hate the words ‘box ticking.’ What boxes are being ticked?

And while, to me, there may be LGBT representation; I have seen very little mainstream Lesbian representation in my life. I have to search for it in the form of books, movies, tv shows etc, and when it is there, it’s often controversial due to the absence of men (which I’m not discussing today)

I also don’t think it’s just cynicism either. Some people do just genuinely hate gay people. In my teen years I experienced unforgivable lesbophobia; I have experienced it in workplaces and even in my university years. I have experienced it amongst friends and in private.

I respect your opinion, though, and I hope you respect mine too.

Reply privately

By *layfullsamMan
13 weeks ago

Solihull

“Some people”

Not saying that’s acceptable but please don’t tar everyone with the same brush.

If I dislike a gay person it’s not because they’re gay it’s because they’ve done something to really p.ss me off but no different to if they were straight.

No idea what you’re going through mentally you sound emotional but to say everyone hates you and gay people isn’t correct.

Hope you feel better tomorrow

Reply privately

By *ealMissShadyWoman
13 weeks ago

St Albans/ Welsh Borders

"I don’t know why I do it to myself. I saw a lovely ad from Tesco about pride and half of the comments are full of hatred. Why? Why do people hate us? Why do people hate me?

I’m very confident in my sexuality and I’m unapologetic about it, but there’s times where I have a wobble and think, Christ, people really do hate me just for existing.

But WHY? I’ll never understand it. Why do people hate gay people? Why do people hate LGBT people? I really can’t wrap my head around it.

And before anyone starts, I don’t care about your thoughts on the ‘woke agenda’ or whether ‘gay people are shoving it down your throats.’ Pride month exists because people hate us. If people didn’t hate us, pride month wouldn’t exist; continuing that hatred makes pride month happen every single year.

(I’ve been on a philosophical run lately, so I know this is an unanswerable question. I think I’m just looking for somewhere to put this sadness and anger.)"

It's ridiculous to see in this day and age isn't it, especially when there is so much focus on mental health you'd think there would be a little more empathy.

My little town held it's first Pride event recently, it was amazing to see! However some of the comments from the locals were awful people just need to mind their own business and not pay attention to stuff that has very little impact on their every day lived

Never apologise for being you. Stand tall and tell them to fuck off

Reply privately

By *4bimMan
13 weeks ago

Farnborough Hampshire

as long as humans exist.

hate will always be.

so will love

Reply privately

By *ustamanMan
13 weeks ago

weymouth

"Fear and Ignorance fuel hate OP.

"

This

Reply privately

By *ongAndThick123Man
13 weeks ago

Leeds

"People probably hate the contrivance of forced ideology distorting actual reality than hating gay people. It's the same thing as people hating adverts showing mostly non whites these days etc. "

I hate the term non-whites. As if all other ethnicities don’t have a name (even though there’s more of them than “white” people in the world).

Reply privately

By *inky_couple2020Couple
13 weeks ago

North West

"People probably hate the contrivance of forced ideology distorting actual reality than hating gay people. It's the same thing as people hating adverts showing mostly non whites these days etc. "

People who go round trolling Next adverts showing non white CHILDREN modelling clothes, deserve a special place in hell.

As do people expressing any kind of hatred.

To answer the OP, I really don't know why people hate LGBTQ+ people. I really don't. I see the same kind of unkind and horrible comments about disabled people too.

It's ridiculous that these things still happen in 2024

Reply privately

By *oydyke OP   Woman
13 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

"Hate is a strong word. Not sure it’s true as a general rule in the UK in 2024. You should have lived in the 70s and 80s - the abuse then was significant and cultural. It was also only in 1967 that homosexuality was decriminalised, so periods before were even worse. I think things are quite liberal now (and that's coming from an older cis straight male!)"

Just because it was worse then doesn’t mean it’s still not bad now. I’m 22 and I’ve experienced severe lesbophobic incidents. And hate isn’t a strong word when people hate me. I’ve lived through years of it, and it’s the truth. It’s silly to just brush it off as ‘hate is a strong word’ because yes- that’s exactly what it is: it’s a strong word, and their hatred is even stronger.

Reply privately

By *ongAndThick123Man
13 weeks ago

Leeds

"The comments are full of cynicism which is articulated in a way that seems like hatred.

Over-representation is a real thing btw, and it’s negative effects are well documented too.

While I agree that companies don’t particularly care about minority groups like LGBT members and they just want money (because capitalism will always breed greed), I hate the words ‘box ticking.’ What boxes are being ticked?

And while, to me, there may be LGBT representation; I have seen very little mainstream Lesbian representation in my life. I have to search for it in the form of books, movies, tv shows etc, and when it is there, it’s often controversial due to the absence of men (which I’m not discussing today)

I also don’t think it’s just cynicism either. Some people do just genuinely hate gay people. In my teen years I experienced unforgivable lesbophobia; I have experienced it in workplaces and even in my university years. I have experienced it amongst friends and in private.

I respect your opinion, though, and I hope you respect mine too. "

What boxes are being ticked? I can tell you from a factual basis if you’d like.

The equality, diversity and inclusivity checklists that are being implemented behind the scenes and pretty much every company in the uk at the moment.

There are specific stipulations about how to be “inclusive” and that includes “representation” throughout all marketing materials, internal communications and internal training.

Companies are scored on an index by an external company (stonewall or a similar provider) and they get encouraged to make changes to improve their score.

There’s also big management bonuses tied to meeting these scores and targets too.

It’s a big money making thing.

Reply privately

By *oydyke OP   Woman
13 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

"“Some people”

If I dislike a gay person it’s not because they’re gay it’s because they’ve done something to really p.ss me off but no different to if they were straight.

No idea what you’re going through mentally you sound emotional but to say everyone hates you and gay people isn’t correct.

Hope you feel better tomorrow "

The patronising in this is vile and I hate that you’ve done it. You’ve also completely twisted my words just to try and make your patronising point. If you dislike a gay person because of something that you’ve done that isn’t related to their sexuality- why is their sexuality important? I’ve hated people who just happen to be lesbians- I don’t hate them because they are lesbians.

Also, ‘some people- don’t tar everyone with the same brush.’ If the boot doesn’t fit, don’t wear it. Sounds like you're projecting.

But, you know, I hope you feel better tomorrow. No idea what you’re going through to project onto me but you sound emotional.

Reply privately

By *otsoflus70Man
13 weeks ago

Cottam

Religion. Thats why. Who else would anyone ever had any issue? Its all Religion.

Reply privately

By *oydyke OP   Woman
13 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

The equality, diversity and inclusivity checklists that are being implemented behind the scenes and pretty much every company in the uk at the moment.

There are specific stipulations about how to be “inclusive” and that includes “representation” throughout all marketing materials, internal communications and internal training.

Companies are scored on an index by an external company (stonewall or a similar provider) and they get encouraged to make changes to improve their score.

There’s also big management bonuses tied to meeting these scores and targets too.

It’s a big money making thing. "

Maybe it’s a money making thing, but what’s wrong with companies being more inclusive?

Reply privately

By *oydyke OP   Woman
13 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

"Religion. Thats why. Who else would anyone ever had any issue? Its all Religion."

I’m religious and a lesbian, so that’s not what I’m talking about today.

Reply privately

By *oydyke OP   Woman
13 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

"Fear and Ignorance fuel hate OP.

"

Yes - i will never hide away my lesbianism A day without lesbians is like a day without sunshine !

Reply privately

By *ongAndThick123Man
13 weeks ago

Leeds

It’s a big money making thing.

Maybe it’s a money making thing, but what’s wrong with companies being more inclusive?"

Because they aren’t being inclusive by promoting annoying stereotypes. They’re making things worse.

Reply privately

By *otsoflus70Man
13 weeks ago

Cottam

I'm not saying all religious are. But I'd argue that 99% of people who are gainst lgbt are. And when it comes to the majority, the minoirty are not impoirtant, Why else would anyone be against it?

Reply privately

By *oydyke OP   Woman
13 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

"I'm not saying all religious are. But I'd argue that 99% of people who are gainst lgbt are. And when it comes to the majority, the minoirty are not impoirtant, Why else would anyone be against it? "

There is a huge overlap between people who hate LGBT people who also hate religions.

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

North West

"People probably hate the contrivance of forced ideology distorting actual reality than hating gay people. It's the same thing as people hating adverts showing mostly non whites these days etc.

I hate the term non-whites. As if all other ethnicities don’t have a name (even though there’s more of them than “white” people in the world)."

The adverts people write hatred on are predominantly aiming it at black models. I've seen one example of a lady wearing hijab who was advertising spectacles getting hate, she had brown skin.

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

OP, calm down and stop firing off at everyone.

Not everyone hates gay people. Not everyone hates you. As I said before, hate is a strong word, some may hate, some may dislike, some may fear, some may be ambivalent and some may love. But don't misread or put a bias on each comment because of your recent lived experience. Some of us are quite nice actually.

Reply privately

By *layfullsamMan
13 weeks ago

Solihull

"“Some people”

The patronising in this is vile and I hate that you’ve done it. You’ve also completely twisted my words just to try and make your patronising point. If you dislike a gay person because of something that you’ve done that isn’t related to their sexuality- why is their sexuality important? I’ve hated people who just happen to be lesbians- I don’t hate them because they are lesbians.

Also, ‘some people- don’t tar everyone with the same brush.’ If the boot doesn’t fit, don’t wear it. Sounds like you're projecting.

But, you know, I hope you feel better tomorrow. No idea what you’re going through to project onto me but you sound emotional. "

You’re very aggressive and angry at life and to say everyone hates gays and you is absolutely ridiculous.

I can see we wouldn’t ever get on but I don’t hate you and it’s not because your gay it’s just your angry vibe at seemingly most people and life doesn’t fit my friends outlook

I’m allowed my opinion, but hey just carry on disagreeing and hating with everyone who disagrees with you

Sounds like you hate me just for having my own opinion ?

Good luck though, hope you get the answers you want from this thread and find a happy place

Take care

Reply privately

By *oydyke OP   Woman
13 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

"OP, calm down and stop firing off at everyone.

Not everyone hates gay people. Not everyone hates you. As I said before, hate is a strong word, some may hate, some may dislike, some may fear, some may be ambivalent and some may love. But don't misread or put a bias on each comment because of your recent lived experience. Some of us are quite nice actually."

I’m not firing at people; I’m firing at people who feel the need to patronise me. The other comments are healthy debates.

Reply privately

By *layfullsamMan
13 weeks ago

Solihull

Not everyone hates gay people. Not everyone hates you. As I said before, hate is a strong word, some may hate, some may dislike, some may fear, some may be ambivalent and some may love. But don't misread or put a bias on each comment because of your recent lived experience. Some of us are quite nice actually."

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

North West

The OP asks "why do people hate gay people", not "why do ALL people hate gay people".

The OP is not incorrect to say there's still a huge amount of hate (not mere dislike) aimed at gay people, both online and in person.

Reply privately

By *otsoflus70Man
13 weeks ago

Cottam

I'd love to see those facts? I havent seen anythign that shows that. People hate lgbt because they think its against god and all that. Theres literaly no reason other than that to be against it. Prehistoric opinions come from prehistory thoughts

Reply privately

By *oydyke OP   Woman
13 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

"“Some people”

But, you know, I hope you feel better tomorrow. No idea what you’re going through to project onto me but you sound emotional.

You’re very aggressive and angry at life and to say everyone hates gays and you is absolutely ridiculous.

I can see we wouldn’t ever get on but I don’t hate you and it’s not because your gay it’s just your angry vibe at seemingly most people and life doesn’t fit my friends outlook

I’m allowed my opinion, but hey just carry on disagreeing and hating with everyone who disagrees with you

Good luck though, hope you get the answers you want from this thread and find a happy place

Take care

"

Yes, you’re allowed your opinions, and if you read previous comments, you’ll see I respect other commenters opinions. I appreciate and welcome healthy debates.

What I don’t welcome is clear patronisation. Telling me im emotionally and not in a good place mentally isn’t an opinion- it’s you trying to shut me down using patronisation. Obviously I’m going to be angry at that.

I respect people’s rights to their opinion until it inflicts on my rights to exist.

Reply privately

By *otsoflus70Man
13 weeks ago

Cottam

I don't mean anything like that. Discussions are all good

Reply privately

By *oydyke OP   Woman
13 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

Not everyone hates gay people. Not everyone hates you. As I said before, hate is a strong word, some may hate, some may dislike, some may fear, some may be ambivalent and some may love. But don't misread or put a bias on each comment because of your recent lived experience. Some of us are quite nice actually.

The OP asks "why do people hate gay people", not "why do ALL people hate gay people".

The OP is not incorrect to say there's still a huge amount of hate (not mere dislike) aimed at gay people, both online and in person. "

Thank you

Im also very clearly angry about the clear patronisation I faced and words being put into my mouth. I welcome healthy debate, as I have done in a large majority of my threads.

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

I think for some its the whole "look at me im gay" i know not all are like that but thats how some persive the gay lgbt community, why is it pushed down our throats (no pun intended) and certainly no need for it in school books ect, neither should religion be either in my opinion

Reply privately

By *oydyke OP   Woman
13 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

"I think for some its the whole "look at me im gay" i know not all are like that but thats how some persive the gay lgbt community, why is it pushed down our throats (no pun intended) and certainly no need for it in school books ect, neither should religion be either in my opinion"

Please read the fourth paragraph of my initial comment. I’m not interested in debating that today.

Reply privately

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS
13 weeks ago

chichester

People hate themselves and their pitiful meaningless lives so much , they have to hate on a minority or others to not feel irrelevant

Truly these people are worthless is why

Reply privately

By *he turned me GreyCouple
13 weeks ago

Warwick and Coventry

Op, the question you asked, has so many variations to the answer, with a limitless amount of variables influencing peoples hatred.

It exists and that is shit in this day n age, where inclusion and diversity is so widely promoted, how far have we really come? With those concepts...

Mr

Reply privately

By *ongAndThick123Man
13 weeks ago

Leeds

"I think for some its the whole "look at me im gay" i know not all are like that but thats how some persive the gay lgbt community, why is it pushed down our throats (no pun intended) and certainly no need for it in school books ect, neither should religion be either in my opinion"

Why shouldn’t it be in school books? It’s a fact of life. Do you think heterosexual relationships should also be removed from school books?

Religion on the other hand, is pure fiction. Though the cultural elements of it are very much real and worthy of educating people about too.

Reply privately

By *4bimMan
13 weeks ago

Farnborough Hampshire

The OP is not incorrect to say there's still a huge amount of hate (not mere dislike) aimed at gay people, both online and in person.

Thank you

Im also very clearly angry about the clear patronisation I faced and words being put into my mouth. I welcome healthy debate, as I have done in a large majority of my threads. "

if your angry OP as youve said you are.

that is the time to stop and take a break from the forum.

in my personal experience responding on the forum when angry has cost me more than ive gained.

Reply privately

By *oydyke OP   Woman
13 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

"People hate themselves and their pitiful meaningless lives so much , they have to hate on a minority or others to not feel irrelevant

Truly these people are worthless is why "

Yes, I do think this is the case a lot of the time. I recently wrote in the book that I’m writing that ‘people don’t hate without hating themselves first.’ Of course, it’s not true all of the time; some people simply just hate because they truly do hate: but I do ponder whether it is just a case of finding somewhere to put their internalised hatred

Reply privately

By *ealMissShadyWoman
13 weeks ago

St Albans/ Welsh Borders

The OP is not incorrect to say there's still a huge amount of hate (not mere dislike) aimed at gay people, both online and in person. "

Completely agree. The hatred is very real. We don't know what Bodyke is going through, how can we? We can only comment from our own angles and that shouldn't mean her experiences are to be negated or her feelings invalidated, I'd be bloody angry too if it were me, women have to fight hard enough as it is without having to battle over sexuality. Empathy goes a long way and something we could all do with a little more of

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

North West

Do you think the same about the whole heterosexual community who "ram it down the throats" of us all by posting their lovey-dovey pictures of them snogging and getting married and lazing in bed etc? I doubt it. Why is it any different to see LGBTQ+ via our mass media? Why shouldn't school children be made aware that being in relationships with people of all persuasions is perfectly okay? If children don't accept non heterosexual people, we simply perpetuate the hate etc into another generation. And another and another.

No-one became gay because being gay was mentioned in school PSHE classes.

Reply privately

By *oydyke OP   Woman
13 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

Thank you

Im also very clearly angry about the clear patronisation I faced and words being put into my mouth. I welcome healthy debate, as I have done in a large majority of my threads.

in my personal experience responding on the forum when angry has cost me more than ive gained.

"

I’m not angry about what people are saying; I’m angry about the commenter patronising me and just making up things that I’ve said. I really, REALLY hate that.

But yes, I think I will leave the forum now, lol

Reply privately

By *mateur100Man
13 weeks ago

nr faversham

Why do you think people hate gay people? Maybe it's just a dislike of an individual and the gay thing is merely coincidental

Reply privately

By *otsoflus70Man
13 weeks ago

Cottam

This is why its interesting! The reason gay/bi/etc isn't in the history books is because relgion has not allowed it to be. Its killed and banned people for even thinking about it, not to mention doing it. Regligion loves its thought crime! I think religion is nonsese but it should still be taught in history classes. Its a huge part of our hstory and we need to learn from it to get better.

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
13 weeks ago

A nice rock

"Why do you think people hate gay people? Maybe it's just a dislike of an individual and the gay thing is merely coincidental "

That wouldn't explain the vitriol the comments section of any LGBT content though

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

North West

"Why do you think people hate gay people? Maybe it's just a dislike of an individual and the gay thing is merely coincidental "

How would online commentators know anything about people in a Pride and for Tesco, for the hate to be personal and not about it being a Pride ad? The OP specifically talks about hateful comments on a Pride ad published by Tesco.

Reply privately

By *4bimMan
13 weeks ago

Farnborough Hampshire

Thank you

I’m not angry about what people are saying; I’m angry about the commenter patronising me and just making up things that I’ve said. I really, REALLY hate that.

But yes, I think I will leave the forum now, lol "

well done. its always good to step back, there is no shame in it. just se it as a position to fall back on.

take care op

Reply privately

By *oydyke OP   Woman
13 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

With that, I’m off to do my nightly prayers and go to bed.

May you find love in your hearts for even those that you hate

(And remember, the next time you think about patronising someone, stop and THINK)

T- is it necessary

H- is it necessary

I- is it necessary

N- is it necessary

K- is it necessary

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

"I think for some its the whole "look at me im gay" i know not all are like that but thats how some persive the gay lgbt community, why is it pushed down our throats (no pun intended) and certainly no need for it in school books ect, neither should religion be either in my opinion

Please read the fourth paragraph of my initial comment. I’m not interested in debating that today. "

so you're only intrested in replies that suit what you want to hear?? Lol and that reply is probably the reason youve gotton some of the remarks/hate you've received over the years nothing to do with been gay

Reply privately

By *agondaMan
13 weeks ago

Witterings

For the record… most people do not hate gay people. A few vocal nutters just post bullshit but the majority of us love everyone who is nice, everyone if our friends, everyone who is genuine, gay or straight

Enjoy your life x

Reply privately

By *oydyke OP   Woman
13 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

"For the record… most people do not hate gay people. A few vocal nutters just post bullshit but the majority of us love everyone who is nice, everyone if our friends, everyone who is genuine, gay or straight

Enjoy your life x"

Yes, I agree; a lot of people are very loving towards LGBT people and I’m lucky that the love in my life has massively overwhelmed the hatred I’ve received- it just really grates on me sometimes how people are so open in their hatred of me and other LGBT people just for existing

You too.

Reply privately

By *ittle Miss TinkerbellWoman
13 weeks ago

your head

But the majority of people don't go about their daily lives displaying their sexuality like a neon sign round their neck. Not sure where the "look at me, I'm gay" thing has come from? You might see it on a site like this where a person's sexuality is listed but otherwise how would you know? Do people stop you in the supermarket to tell you?

As for "it" being in schools, we shouldn't be teaching children that love is love? Or that their family isn't different or weird because they have two parents of the same gender or anything that isn't a woman and a man? Are we ignoring the kids from those families now by not representing them?

Reply privately

By *oydyke OP   Woman
13 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

"I think for some its the whole "look at me im gay" i know not all are like that but thats how some persive the gay lgbt community, why is it pushed down our throats (no pun intended) and certainly no need for it in school books ect, neither should religion be either in my opinion

Please read the fourth paragraph of my initial comment. I’m not interested in debating that today. so you're only intrested in replies that suit what you want to hear?? Lol and that reply is probably the reason youve gotton some of the remarks/hate you've received over the years nothing to do with been gay "

‘I’m not interested in debating that today.’

Today= on or in the course of this present day

Reply privately

By *layfullsamMan
13 weeks ago

Solihull

"“Some people”

Take care

Yes, you’re allowed your opinions, and if you read previous comments, you’ll see I respect other commenters opinions. I appreciate and welcome healthy debates.

What I don’t welcome is clear patronisation. Telling me im emotionally and not in a good place mentally isn’t an opinion- it’s you trying to shut me down using patronisation. Obviously I’m going to be angry at that.

I respect people’s rights to their opinion until it inflicts on my rights to exist. "

Lmao so now I’m inflicting on your rights to exist ? Wow

I apologise for saying you’re not in a good place mentally, I genuinely didn’t realise this was normal behaviour(only because I’ve not come across this type of behaviour and anger amongst my social circle)

If a friend of mine went off like this out of character I’d know they weren’t in a good place so wrongly assumed you were in a similar low place.

Anyway I still don’t hate you but we’ll just agree to disagree and I’ll leave you to it

Reply privately

By *tephanjMan
13 weeks ago

Kettering

I do not hate gay people even though I'm totally straight, I take people for their personality. I work with gay people at the end of the day they people just like me

Reply privately

By *oydyke OP   Woman
13 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

"“Some people”

Take care

I respect people’s rights to their opinion until it inflicts on my rights to exist.

Lmao so now I’m inflicting on your rights to exist ? Wow

I apologise for saying you’re not in a good place mentally, I genuinely didn’t realise this was normal behaviour(only because I’ve not come across this type of behaviour and anger amongst my social circle)

If a friend of mine went off like this out of character I’d know they weren’t in a good place so wrongly assumed you were in a similar low place.

Anyway I still don’t hate you but we’ll just agree to disagree and I’ll leave you to it

"

How is it out of character? You don’t know me. You don’t know my character.

Reply privately

By *oydyke OP   Woman
13 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

I’m going to bed fr fr now.

Goodnight all, and may God see the light in you

A day without lesbians is like a day without sunshine

Reply privately

By *ittle Miss TinkerbellWoman
13 weeks ago

your head

"I’m going to bed fr fr now.

Goodnight all, and may God see the light in you

A day without lesbians is like a day without sunshine "

Night night lovely

Reply privately

By *otsoflus70Man
13 weeks ago

Cottam

The irony of you keep quoting God when the relgiious are literally the only people who hate lgbt is hillarious!

Reply privately

By *ike Oxlong 95Man
13 weeks ago

Wyre/Persh

I think it has a lot to do with the newer generations that are part of the Lgbtq community. All you see on social media are people using it to their advantage to get attention and or 'act' offended by something petty.

They also seem to think the world owes them everything.

Sadly I think it's the majority that give the minority a bad name. Hence why I think the title LGTBQ has been given a bad imagine to some people.

Oh just to clarify. I believe people should be accepted for who they are no matter their colour, class, race, religion, gender or sexuality.

There's way to much hate in this world already!!

Reply privately

By *etitesaraTV/TS
13 weeks ago

rochdale

My town is holding a Pride parade, I'd like to go along in my lovely new dress

But frankly, I'm scared to do so because of the horrendous anti-trans hysteria that currently abounds.

Reply privately

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS
13 weeks ago

chichester

"My town is holding a Pride parade, I'd like to go along in my lovely new dress

But frankly, I'm scared to do so because of the horrendous anti-trans hysteria that currently abounds."

Yeah it rears its head indeed. Many a time at events I have had to smash the fuck out of some pricks for getting aggressive / pushing / throwing things / spitting

Maybe just go with friends if you can instead of alone

Reply privately

By *lan157Man
13 weeks ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

Fear and ignorance I would say . A religious reason is an example of the fear and ignorance reason. Just why fear and ignorance still exists I don't know.

Reply privately

By *AJMLKTV/TS
13 weeks ago

Burley

But frankly, I'm scared to do so because of the horrendous anti-trans hysteria that currently abounds."

Just a question with no malice behind it, why do Pride events tend to be parades through public areas rather than events in privately rented areas, like most festivals?

Reply privately

By *otsoflus70Man
13 weeks ago

Cottam

Haha, love that attitude! Easier said than done I'm sure but thats how it should be

Reply privately

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS
13 weeks ago

chichester

"Fear and ignorance I would say . A religious reason is an example of the fear and ignorance reason. Just why fear and ignorance still exists I don't know. "

Humans are mentally weak is why for many

Reply privately

By *mber SkiesWoman
13 weeks ago

Cardiff-ish

But frankly, I'm scared to do so because of the horrendous anti-trans hysteria that currently abounds.

Yeah it rears its head indeed. Many a time at events I have had to smash the fuck out of some pricks for getting aggressive / pushing / throwing things / spitting so you go into man mode then when you state your a ts girl

Maybe just go with friends if you can instead of alone "

Reply privately

By * and T xCouple
13 weeks ago

Cannock

"Why? Why do people hate us? Why do people hate me?

Christ, people really do hate me just for existing."

Hi OP. You need to stop making this so personal because ultimately it's only going to upset you. These are online comments - they aren't exactly known for their inspirational messaging. It's just a bunch of idiots splurging their nonsense (like we are all doing now!)

There is a reality that these companies are exploiting LGBT people, showing them off as pride tokens to show everyone how good they are - and unfortunately that does annoy a lot of people (including people from the LGBT community).

Thing is, being online, it tends to give people the impression that they can be a little looser with their language. Their interactions with you in person would be completely different, but their online persona is 'disconnected' from their real life

I personally hate it and it makes my eyes roll when people decide to bang the drum for these businesses knowing they couldnt care less about you for the rest of the year. I feel sorry for people who are falling for it (this isn't directly at you, it's specific to the people I see in these types of comment sections)

Don't take it personally. I think it's more the frustration at the companies than it is legitimate hate for LGBT.

Reply privately

By *oydyke OP   Woman
13 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

Just a question with no malice behind it, why do Pride events tend to be parades through public areas rather than events in privately rented areas, like most festivals?"

If my memory serves me right, the original pride was a riot and a protest, so it’s always been a parade like that. It was a way to march. (I may be remembering wrong though!)

Reply privately

By *4bimMan
13 weeks ago

Farnborough Hampshire

Yeah it rears its head indeed. Many a time at events I have had to smash the fuck out of some pricks for getting aggressive / pushing / throwing things / spitting

Maybe just go with friends if you can instead of alone "

this. go with friends.

the day we stop doing things because of fear we lose.

Reply privately

By *orkshire biMan
13 weeks ago

elland

It's a bit luke being fat. Your an easy target fir abuse and they think u should just take it and move on

Yes I'm bi and fat

The amount of small minded people out there is unbelievable.

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
13 weeks ago

A nice rock

"I think it has a lot to do with the newer generations that are part of the Lgbtq community. All you see on social media are people using it to their advantage to get attention and or 'act' offended by something petty.

"

Tbf social media is why I hate most people

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
13 weeks ago

A nice rock

Just a question with no malice behind it, why do Pride events tend to be parades through public areas rather than events in privately rented areas, like most festivals?"

Because its a show of pride and defiance.

Doing it off out of the way kinda defeats the purpose

Reply privately

By *otsoflus70Man
13 weeks ago

Cottam

I don't know as I've neber been to one, but I'm guessing because all parades are in public areas? Thats the point of a parade? A parade is veruy different to a festival. Theres tonnes of parades that aint lgbt that happen everywhere and I doubt anyone has even asked that before

Reply privately

By *4bimMan
13 weeks ago

Farnborough Hampshire

[Removed by poster at 22/06/24 22:47:59]

Reply privately

By *4bimMan
13 weeks ago

Farnborough Hampshire

"It's a bit luke being fat. Your an easy target fir abuse and they think u should just take it and move on

Yes I'm bi and fat

The amount of small minded people out there is unbelievable. "

im short, bald head and ride a harley davidson. where is my shortbaldharleyridermonth lol

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

The ninority should not constantly dictate to the majority... Simples

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

*minority

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
13 weeks ago

A nice rock

"The ninority should not constantly dictate to the majority... Simples "

Can you give me an example where this has happend

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

"It's a bit luke being fat. Your an easy target fir abuse and they think u should just take it and move on

Yes I'm bi and fat

im short, bald head and ride a harley davidson. where is my shortbaldharleyridermonth lol"

At least you got a great bike ??

Reply privately

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS
13 weeks ago

chichester

"The ninority should not constantly dictate to the majority... Simples "

They don’t though that’s the thing The majority shouldn’t expect free rein to punch down unanswered … to minority groups

Balance is the way unfortunately as many people are retarded in their own thought process they get manipulated into false flag media stories

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

"The ninority should not constantly dictate to the majority... Simples

Can you give me an example where this has happend "

Happens every day...

Reply privately

By *AJMLKTV/TS
13 weeks ago

Burley

Just a question with no malice behind it, why do Pride events tend to be parades through public areas rather than events in privately rented areas, like most festivals?

Doing it off out of the way kinda defeats the purpose "

Who are they showing pride and defiance to, though? Surely nobody who needs the lesson would go to a pride parade, and those that do are supposedly all in favour.

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

"Hate is a strong word. Not sure its true as a general rule in the UK in 2024. You should have lived in the 70s and 80s - the abuse then was significant and cultural. It was also only in 1967 that homosexuality was decriminalised, so periods before were even worse. I think things are quite liberal now (and that's coming from an older cis straight male!)"

Whilst this could be true, let’s try to not invalidate OP’s lived experiences. (Not accusing of nefarious intentions, btw.)

What happened before may have been worse but it’s still far from perfect now. Acceptance and tolerance of all is something we can all be reminded of and that’s what I’ve taken away from OP’s post.

We can’t do better by saying, well it’s better now than before so just carry on.

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
13 weeks ago

A nice rock

Happens every day... "

Example?

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

Yes I'm bi and fat

im short, bald head and ride a harley davidson. where is my shortbaldharleyridermonth lol"

Where are the people spewing hatred , committing atrocities, and outwardly pouring online hate comments about the short bald Harley riders?

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
13 weeks ago

A nice rock

Who are they showing pride and defiance to, though? Surely nobody who needs the lesson would go to a pride parade, and those that do are supposedly all in favour."

To those people who put hateful comments under pride videos, pride in themselves and their community?

What'd the issue with a public parade?

Reply privately

By *oydyke OP   Woman
13 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

"Hate is a strong word. Not sure its true as a general rule in the UK in 2024. You should have lived in the 70s and 80s - the abuse then was significant and cultural. It was also only in 1967 that homosexuality was decriminalised, so periods before were even worse. I think things are quite liberal now (and that's coming from an older cis straight male!)

Whilst this could be true, let’s try to not invalidate OP’s lived experiences. (Not accusing of nefarious intentions, btw.)

What happened before may have been worse but it’s still far from perfect now. Acceptance and tolerance of all is something we can all be reminded of and that’s what I’ve taken away from OP’s post.

We can’t do better by saying, well it’s better now than before so just carry on.

"

Thank you, this is exactly what I was trying to vocalise

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

They don’t though that’s the thing The majority shouldn’t expect free rein to punch down unanswered … to minority groups

What does you comment even mean?

Balance is the way unfortunately as many people are retarded in their own thought process they get manipulated into false flag media stories "

What does this comment mean?

GENUINE Asking,,?

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

But the majority of people don't go about their daily lives displaying their sexuality like a neon sign round their neck. Not sure where the "look at me, I'm gay" thing has come from? You might see it on a site like this where a person's sexuality is listed but otherwise how would you know? Do people stop you in the supermarket to tell you?

As for "it" being in schools, we shouldn't be teaching children that love is love? Or that their family isn't different or weird because they have two parents of the same gender or anything that isn't a woman and a man? Are we ignoring the kids from those families now by not representing them? "

thats for adam and steve to explain to little timmy why he has 2 dads same as religion, school made absolutely no diffence to my opinion on gays lgbt religion or race my surroundings did, family, friends and geographics influenced my opinions i have today

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

Was 'confused' in the 80's and 90's in rough places... Totally agree... It was shit..

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

Who hates them? It’s not 1970, I don’t feel hated at all?

Reply privately

By *ongAndThick123Man
13 weeks ago

Leeds

As for "it" being in schools, we shouldn't be teaching children that love is love? Or that their family isn't different or weird because they have two parents of the same gender or anything that isn't a woman and a man? Are we ignoring the kids from those families now by not representing them? thats for adam and steve to explain to little timmy why he has 2 dads same as religion, school made absolutely no diffence to my opinion on gays lgbt religion or race my surroundings did, family, friends and geographics influenced my opinions i have today "

I’m sure school made no difference because they didn’t tell you anything about it

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
13 weeks ago

A nice rock

Happens every day...

Example?"

Go on please. Just one.. frim today's daily dictation

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

Happens every day...

Scroll up..

Example?

Go on please. Just one.. frim today's daily dictation "

Reply privately

By *odgers and PartingCouple
13 weeks ago

edinburgh

"I don’t know why I do it to myself. I saw a lovely ad from Tesco about pride and half of the comments are full of hatred. Why? Why do people hate us? Why do people hate me?

(I’ve been on a philosophical run lately, so I know this is an unanswerable question. I think I’m just looking for somewhere to put this sadness and anger.)"

The majority don’t hate gay people, you, trans folks or any other demographic. It’s the constant ramming down our throats and the gesture politicking and faux ‘togetherness’ from people and companies that want to make a quick buck off it that makes this month long (year round in reality) event truly irritating. See also Royal events, football tournaments, the Olympics etc K

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

Happens every day...

Scroll up..

Example?

Scroll up...

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

As for "it" being in schools, we shouldn't be teaching children that love is love? Or that their family isn't different or weird because they have two parents of the same gender or anything that isn't a woman and a man? Are we ignoring the kids from those families now by not representing them? thats for adam and steve to explain to little timmy why he has 2 dads same as religion, school made absolutely no diffence to my opinion on gays lgbt religion or race my surroundings did, family, friends and geographics influenced my opinions i have today

I’m sure school made no difference because they didn’t tell you anything about it"

yeah it were taught in sex ed maybe only 1hr a week but enough to learn how to put a condom on a test tube lol

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
13 weeks ago

A nice rock

Happens every day...

Scroll up..

Example?

nope afraid I see no reply with an actual example.

I'll take it out if the daily occupancies none spring readily to mind

Reply privately

By *iberius61Man
13 weeks ago

Pontefract

Lots of short term answers, e.g. my religion is against it, but ultimately I think it comes back to our evolution as a social species. We've been around for about 200,000 years, but the vast majority of that we were small bands numbering less than 100. We've been gathering in larger numbers for less than 10,000 years and we haven't really adapted to that yet. We still have a strong affinity to 'our' group and distrust/fear/hate any that is different, even if we can logic it away. Sadly I think that is one of the biggest problems modern humans face.

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

North West

Happens every day...

Scroll up..

Example?

Scroll up... "

So a post that clearly references gay people in the title, on a swinger's website, is "ramming it down your throat"?

Gee-whizz.

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

(I’ve been on a philosophical run lately, so I know this is an unanswerable question. I think I’m just looking for somewhere to put this sadness and anger.)

The majority don’t hate gay people, you, trans folks or any other demographic. It’s the constant ramming down our throats and the gesture politicking and faux ‘togetherness’ from people and companies that want to make a quick buck off it that makes this month long (year round in reality) event truly irritating. See also Royal events, football tournaments, the Olympics etc K"

Totally agree and I fuck guys a lot so probably pretty gay but also like girls so bi I guess

Reply privately

By *linky1Couple
13 weeks ago

Sittingbourne

The corporate virtue signalling is a bit galling.

Where were they 30 or 40 years ago when gay people could have benefited from some public support.

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

Happens every day...

Scroll up..

Example?

Scroll up...

So a post that clearly references gay people in the title, on a swinger's website, is "ramming it down your throat"?

Gee-whizz."

Never said your quote.. Funniy enough... In "quotes"

Idiot

Reply privately

By *oydyke OP   Woman
13 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

"Lots of short term answers, e.g. my religion is against it, but ultimately I think it comes back to our evolution as a social species. We've been around for about 200,000 years, but the vast majority of that we were small bands numbering less than 100. We've been gathering in larger numbers for less than 10,000 years and we haven't really adapted to that yet. We still have a strong affinity to 'our' group and distrust/fear/hate any that is different, even if we can logic it away. Sadly I think that is one of the biggest problems modern humans face."

Yes, I’ve thought about this a lot too. I’m very interested in social history and a quote stuck with me once which said; ‘it’s silly to think that even in the Middle Ages there wasn’t a gay couple that was able to live happily without prejudice.’ Social history examines that- in the same quote it’s spoken about how we are led to believe that it’s been the same throughout the course of history- but there has been instances (and not widely documented, albeit) where mothers have cared for disabled children in the 1400s or a lesbian couple have lived happily, etc- I love social history for opening up this world for me.

But yes, I do think a lot of it is human nature unfortunately. I find myself gravitating towards other lesbians and bisexual women because it’s what I know. It’s the company I feel safest in. It’s just a shame that some groups feel the need to be so open in their hatred of groups who have very little to do with them.

Alas- social history has made me feel a lot better about the whole thing

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

"The corporate virtue signalling is a bit galling.

Where were they 30 or 40 years ago when gay people could have benefited from some public support."

It's trendy now..

Make money..

Reply privately

By *AJMLKTV/TS
13 weeks ago

Burley

Who are they showing pride and defiance to, though? Surely nobody who needs the lesson would go to a pride parade, and those that do are supposedly all in favour.

To those people who put hateful comments under pride videos, pride in themselves and their community?

What'd the issue with a public parade?"

No issue whatsoever, I frankly don't care, but it seems logical that those people who put hateful comments under pride videos may not do so as much if the parade wasn't public, and having pride in themselves and their community seems like something better achieved in an atmosphere of entirely their own community, such as a private, ticketed event.

Reply privately

By *4bimMan
13 weeks ago

Farnborough Hampshire

remember be nice.

Reply privately

By *oydyke OP   Woman
13 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

Okay I am actually going to bed now I got distracted by my bible lol

Goodnight everyone and be safe, the wound is where the light enters!

Reply privately

By *ongAndThick123Man
13 weeks ago

Leeds

No issue whatsoever, I frankly don't care, but it seems logical that those people who put hateful comments under pride videos may not do so as much if the parade wasn't public, and having pride in themselves and their community seems like something better achieved in an atmosphere of entirely their own community, such as a private, ticketed event. "

Do you think Saint Patricks day parades should also be a private ticketed event?

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

North West

Happens every day...

Scroll up..

Example?

Scroll up...

Gee-whizz.

Idiot "

I have no idea what your reply even means, or who the "idiot" bit is aimed at. If aimed at me, then I really couldn't care less.

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
13 weeks ago

A nice rock

No issue whatsoever, I frankly don't care, but it seems logical that those people who put hateful comments under pride videos may not do so as much if the parade wasn't public, and having pride in themselves and their community seems like something better achieved in an atmosphere of entirely their own community, such as a private, ticketed event. "

OK so don't parade so the homoogivic crowd don't get upset...

Keep it more private...maybe... in closest...we could be onto something here actually

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

"Lots of short term answers, e.g. my religion is against it, but ultimately I think it comes back to our evolution as a social species. We've been around for about 200,000 years, but the vast majority of that we were small bands numbering less than 100. We've been gathering in larger numbers for less than 10,000 years and we haven't really adapted to that yet. We still have a strong affinity to 'our' group and distrust/fear/hate any that is different, even if we can logic it away. Sadly I think that is one of the biggest problems modern humans face.

Yes, I’ve thought about this a lot too. I’m very interested in social history and a quote stuck with me once which said; ‘it’s silly to think that even in the Middle Ages there wasn’t a gay couple that was able to live happily without prejudice.’ Social history examines that- in the same quote it’s spoken about how we are led to believe that it’s been the same throughout the course of history- but there has been instances (and not widely documented, albeit) where mothers have cared for disabled children in the 1400s or a lesbian couple have lived happily, etc- I love social history for opening up this world for me.

But yes, I do think a lot of it is human nature unfortunately. I find myself gravitating towards other lesbians and bisexual women because it’s what I know. It’s the company I feel safest in. It’s just a shame that some groups feel the need to be so open in their hatred of groups who have very little to do with them.

Alas- social history has made me feel a lot better about the whole thing "

Sadly the odds indicate many have been denied to say who they really are over centuries... Many people..

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

I wonder if we had an straight alpha male month we would get any hatred or straight wonder womens month of course if not more, we cant even have fathers day without memes or videos for single mothers that are the dads too so its not just gays and lgbt everybody complains if its not about them personally i couldnt care less

Reply privately

By *ansoffateMan
13 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

"Hate is a strong word. Not sure its true as a general rule in the UK in 2024. You should have lived in the 70s and 80s - the abuse then was significant and cultural. It was also only in 1967 that homosexuality was decriminalised, so periods before were even worse. I think things are quite liberal now (and that's coming from an older cis straight male!)

"

Agreed, it's an expression of privilege to say things have improved on an issue that does not affect one personally. Yes I am old enough to recognise things have improved.

But hate crimes still occur frequently and we know that this is a social phenomena that begins with antilocution all the way back to Alport's work in the 1950s post WW2.

Anger at injustice is a healthy emotional expression in my opinion and it is an injustice for people to be hated due to perceived differences. I quite understand why the OP phrased it in terms of a right to exist.

Reply privately

By *ou only live onceMan
13 weeks ago

London

This thread took turns I didn't expect it (or maybe I should have).

Bigotry and stupidity are the answers to your opening question, OP.

I saw this on a t-shirt today and couldn't put it better myself: "the world has bigger problems than men who like men and women who like women" - pretty much sums it up for me! I can't imagine why anyone could care so much about someone else's sexuality.

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

North West

"I wonder if we had an straight alpha male month we would get any hatred or straight wonder womens month of course if not more, we cant even have fathers day without memes or videos for single mothers that are the dads too so its not just gays and lgbt everybody complains if its not about them personally i couldnt care less "

Straight alpha males are not a marginalised community who have experienced prejudice for centuries.

There's a big difference between complaining and writing hateful comments online.

If you don't grasp why Pride exists or that being annoyed and hateful are very different things, then we're at a loss here.

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

Happens every day...

Scroll up..

Example?

Scroll up...

Gee-whizz.

Idiot

I have no idea what your reply even means, or who the "idiot" bit is aimed at. If aimed at me, then I really couldn't care less. "

OK..

Reply privately

By *avexxMan
13 weeks ago

cheshire

i dont hate gay people and anybody that does are sick tbh,,

Reply privately

By *AJMLKTV/TS
13 weeks ago

Burley

No issue whatsoever, I frankly don't care, but it seems logical that those people who put hateful comments under pride videos may not do so as much if the parade wasn't public, and having pride in themselves and their community seems like something better achieved in an atmosphere of entirely their own community, such as a private, ticketed event.

Keep it more private...maybe... in closest...we could be onto something here actually "

Did you mean to type "in closets"? I do hope not because that would be silly. This entire thread is about "the homophobic crowd getting upset". Do you think that "upset" will decrease or increase if the events are held are private venues? Shouting your demands at people doesn't always work.

Reply privately

By *ea monkeyMan
13 weeks ago

Manchester (he/him)

Who are they showing pride and defiance to, though? Surely nobody who needs the lesson would go to a pride parade, and those that do are supposedly all in favour."

It’s not about those that attend.

Pride has always been a protest march, just a very flamboyant one. Much the same as BLM or any other movement marches in protest to raise awareness, so does Pride.

Pride is all about being ‘here and queer’. Why would we do that quietly?

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
13 weeks ago

A nice rock

"I wonder if we had an straight alpha male month we would get any hatred or straight wonder womens month of course if not more, we cant even have fathers day without memes or videos for single mothers that are the dads too so its not just gays and lgbt everybody complains if its not about them personally i couldnt care less "

As a straight white male (the term alpha makes me a little sick in my mouth) I cab honestly say I've never once felt uncomfortable in any situation because of any if these 3 factors.

I'm also irish I have felt uncomfortable because of this there are parades for showing pride in being Irish. So ya I can understand why we have parades for the lgbt community and not for the straight male alp.. can't finish that

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

"This thread took turns I didn't expect it (or maybe I should have).

I saw this on a t-shirt today and couldn't put it better myself: "the world has bigger problems than men who like men and women who like women" - pretty much sums it up for me! I can't imagine why anyone could care so much about someone else's sexuality."

Should be that simple... Sadly we have much drama these days...

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

Warwick and Coventry

I'm reading through this thread, I think the answer to the OP, is very very apparent...

Some people are just fucking nobheads...

Mr

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
13 weeks ago

A nice rock

Keep it more private...maybe... in closest...we could be onto something here actually

Did you mean to type "in closets"? I do hope not because that would be silly. This entire thread is about "the homophobic crowd getting upset". Do you think that "upset" will decrease or increase if the events are held are private venues? Shouting your demands at people doesn't always work."

Cowering away because of their hate never works

Reply privately

By *ongandharderMan
13 weeks ago

Rotherham

Over-representation is a real thing btw, and it’s negative effects are well documented too. "

I agree pride has Hurt LGBTQ+ people more than it helped

Reply privately

By *ou only live onceMan
13 weeks ago

London

I saw this on a t-shirt today and couldn't put it better myself: "the world has bigger problems than men who like men and women who like women" - pretty much sums it up for me! I can't imagine why anyone could care so much about someone else's sexuality.

Should be that simple... Sadly we have much drama these days... "

Irony is dead.

Reply privately

By *riel13Woman
13 weeks ago

Northampton

Nobody hates gay people... Just all the ridiculous shite that apparently comes with the whole lgb junk...

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

North West

I agree pride has Hurt LGBTQ+ people more than it helped "

How so?

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
13 weeks ago

A nice rock

"Nobody hates gay people... Just all the ridiculous shite that apparently comes with the whole lgb junk..."

Nobody? Really?

Reply privately

By *ea monkeyMan
13 weeks ago

Manchester (he/him)

Every day is cis het pride. You just don’t recognise that

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

Should be that simple... Sadly we have much drama these days... "

Did you just flip flop before all of our eyes or was it that you didn’t understand the point of the short message?

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

"Nobody hates gay people... Just all the ridiculous shite that apparently comes with the whole lgb junk..."

True

Reply privately

By *riel13Woman
13 weeks ago

Northampton

"Nobody hates gay people... Just all the ridiculous shite that apparently comes with the whole lgb junk...

Nobody? Really? "

Ugh... Most people

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

"Nobody hates gay people... Just all the ridiculous shite that apparently comes with the whole lgb junk...

Nobody? Really?

Ugh... Most people "

Disagree

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

People are people... Simple..

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

Idiots are idiots. Simple

Reply privately

By *ea_toastkinkyWoman
13 weeks ago

Hinckley

"Hate is a strong word. Not sure its true as a general rule in the UK in 2024. You should have lived in the 70s and 80s - the abuse then was significant and cultural. It was also only in 1967 that homosexuality was decriminalised, so periods before were even worse. I think things are quite liberal now (and that's coming from an older cis straight male!)"

I think you are confusing a younger generation who are more accepting and diverse with their sexual and gender identity and preferences with discrimination and hate crimes targeted toward the LGBTQ+ family.

Gay men and Trans women in particular are still being murdered, assaulted, r*ped every day. Purely because of who they are. If someone else isn't doing it directly then they are taking their own lives.

Trans people are accused of being paedophiles, r*pists daily and having their human rights and ability to seek medical care, removed. There are probably more debates in parliament about this section in the community over anyone else.

You think it's "not as bad" because it isn't seen as newsworthy anymore and when people do advocate, campaign and celebrate the world goes nuts and calls society woke and entitled.

Before you dismiss the experience of a gay person telling you they are hated maybe you should think a bit harder, do some research, become a good allie and support them. Because believe me, Queer people want just as easy a life as you get.

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

Warwick and Coventry

"People are people... Simple.. "

It's really not that simple..

What about the interjects we pick up along the way, that influences people's, perceptions, beliefs, standards, morals, behaviour, and attitudes.?. To name a few

Mr

Reply privately

By *ongAndThick123Man
13 weeks ago

Leeds

I think you are confusing a younger generation who are more accepting and diverse with their sexual and gender identity and preferences with discrimination and hate crimes targeted toward the LGBTQ+ family.

Gay men and Trans women in particular are still being murdered, assaulted, r*ped every day. Purely because of who they are. If someone else isn't doing it directly then they are taking their own lives.

Trans people are accused of being paedophiles, r*pists daily and having their human rights and ability to seek medical care, removed. There are probably more debates in parliament about this section in the community over anyone else.

You think it's "not as bad" because it isn't seen as newsworthy anymore and when people do advocate, campaign and celebrate the world goes nuts and calls society woke and entitled.

Before you dismiss the experience of a gay person telling you they are hated maybe you should think a bit harder, do some research, become a good allie and support them. Because believe me, Queer people want just as easy a life as you get.

"

When you say trans and gay people are being murdered and seriously sexually assaulted every day… is that in the uk or in the world? Because if it’s uk I can’t find any stats to back that up.

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

"I wonder if we had an straight alpha male month we would get any hatred or straight wonder womens month of course if not more, we cant even have fathers day without memes or videos for single mothers that are the dads too so its not just gays and lgbt everybody complains if its not about them personally i couldnt care less

Every day is cis het pride. You just don’t recognise that "

no idea what cis het is tbh guessing straight male?

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

"I wonder if we had an straight alpha male month we would get any hatred or straight wonder womens month of course if not more, we cant even have fathers day without memes or videos for single mothers that are the dads too so its not just gays and lgbt everybody complains if its not about them personally i couldnt care less

Every day is cis het pride. You just don’t recognise that no idea what cis het is tbh guessing straight male? "

Cis gender heterosexuals

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

"People are people... Simple..

What about the interjects we pick up along the way, that influences people's, perceptions, beliefs, standards, morals, behaviour, and attitudes.?. To name a few

Mr "

Sorry to say.. But you are responsible for the life you end up living.. It cannot be anyones fault besides your own..

Reply privately

By *r99mr99Man
13 weeks ago

Ealing

I think some of it is that they don't want to feel marginalized. It's why when "Black Lives matter" began the response was all lives matter. Thanks everyone that's not what was being argued

...but from a perspective of someone who may never have even considered being discriminated against, championing one cause means (in their mind) raising it up over who or what they are.

"Why do people need pride they don't need to throw it in our faces?" Is a valid perspective if you've never considered the plight of the LGBTQ+. Community id you've ever seen the hatred and bile endured. I don't agree that this is the right approach but I can see why the somewhat ignorant approach exists.

Reply privately

By *ongandharderMan
13 weeks ago

Rotherham

How so?"

I think when it's shown and pushed as much as it is people start to resent it , it becomes annoying then frustration then to hate

If LGBTQ people just got on with it rather than having the flag , parades and more people would be better with it all

And it used to be a private matter that people just got on with

Now it's in schools , businesses, TV , movies and more

In addition the targeting of children with the narrative angered a lot even Moderates

It's an adult thing that should be private or respectfully public and thats it

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

Every day is cis het pride. You just don’t recognise that no idea what cis het is tbh guessing straight male?

Cis gender heterosexuals "

cheers

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

When you say trans and gay people are being murdered and seriously sexually assaulted every day… is that in the uk or in the world? Because if it’s uk I can’t find any stats to back that up."

What a surprise

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
13 weeks ago

A nice rock

When you say trans and gay people are being murdered and seriously sexually assaulted every day… is that in the uk or in the world? Because if it’s uk I can’t find any stats to back that up.

What a surprise "

I'm still waiting on your example...

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

How so?

I think when it's shown and pushed as much as it is people start to resent it , it becomes annoying then frustration then to hate

If LGBTQ people just got on with it rather than having the flag , parades and more people would be better with it all

In addition the targeting of children with the narrative angered a lot even Moderates

"

Well said..

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

Warwick and Coventry

Mr

Sorry to say.. But you are responsible for the life you end up living.. It cannot be anyones fault besides your own.. "

Your argument holds no water, I see what I said went totally over your head.

Your point totally dismisses people's lived experience of hatred and discrimination, so your saying the victim is responsible for this, down to who they are and what they are, and bring open about that, where is the perpetrators responsibility in your stand point?.

You totally contradict yourself, in that responsibility statement...

Mr

Reply privately

By *4bimMan
13 weeks ago

Farnborough Hampshire

thank god this threads nearly over.

we can do it !

Reply privately

By *ou only live onceMan
13 weeks ago

London

How so?

"

The award for strangest post of the day goes to...

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
13 weeks ago

A nice rock

How so?

"

Do you think the lgbt community coming more into the light and the mainstream have increased the hate? Or just also brought it out more apparently?

Also should there not be lgbt representation on TV and movies?

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

Warwick and Coventry

"thank god this threads nearly over.

we can do it ! "

One less to go.now

Reply privately

By *ongAndThick123Man
13 weeks ago

Leeds

How so?

Do you think the lgbt community coming more into the light and the mainstream have increased the hate? Or just also brought it out more apparently?

Also should there not be lgbt representation on TV and movies?"

I don’t think “LGBT community” have increased hate. Because there’s no such thing as the lgbt community. There isn’t some secret newsletter or group chat. Let’s be realistic, the people influencing policy and media are less than 1% of LGBT people.

That 1% also seem to be very narcissistic, flamboyant and attention seeking. And there’s a large proportion 1% who like to antagonise others intentionally.

(The same goes for most social justice groups at the moment, for various causes).

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

Mr

Sorry to say.. But you are responsible for the life you end up living.. It cannot be anyones fault besides your own..

Your point totally dismisses people's lived experience of hatred and discrimination, so your saying the victim is responsible for this, down to who they are and what they are, and bring open about that, where is the perpetrators responsibility in your stand point?.

Mr "

I didn't realise I was making a 'rezponsibity statement'... I wasn't and it's just typical you should say that to add a bit of drama to a normal situation...

Reply privately

By *ongAndThick123Man
13 weeks ago

Leeds

How so?

I don’t think “LGBT community” have increased hate. Because there’s no such thing as the lgbt community. There isn’t some secret newsletter or group chat. Let’s be realistic, the people influencing policy and media are less than 1% of LGBT people.

That 1% also seem to be very narcissistic, flamboyant and attention seeking. And there’s a large proportion 1% who like to antagonise others intentionally.

(The same goes for most social justice groups at the moment, for various causes)."

To clarify - I’m saying they don’t represent the people they claim to.

Reply privately

By *ea monkeyMan
13 weeks ago

Manchester (he/him)

How so?

Well said.. "

You mean like how heterosexual culture is so quiet and locked away behind closed doors?

It’s not like the assumptive ‘norm’ is straight, that heterosexuality is portrayed in every TV show, advert, magazine, radio show, song, book, film… yes. Heterosexual culture is so quiet

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

North West

When you say trans and gay people are being murdered and seriously sexually assaulted every day… is that in the uk or in the world? Because if it’s uk I can’t find any stats to back that up."

Just as a quick example:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/may/17/survey-finds-70-of-lgbt-people-sexually-harassed-at-work

"Two-thirds (66%) said they did not tell their employer about the harassment, and a quarter of these said it was because they were afraid of being “outed” at work."

Sexual assault and abuse of LGBTQ+ people is massively under reported because of stigma, in much the same way as heterosexual sexual abuse is also under reported and under prosecuted. It's just even more under reported for not-heterosexual people.

As for murder, the ONS does not monitor such crimes by sexual orientation or gender identity. Convenient, no? What is indisputable is that people from the LGBTQ+ communities are far more likely to be victims of violent crime than most other communities, in the UK (and elsewhere too).

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

Mr

Mr "

so considering its not that long ago since it were illegal to be gay now its the total opposite what would happen if other laws in regards to sexual preferences changed? Would we then have a beastiality month? Or god forbid a pedophile pride month? And then would we be expected to then accept that/they/them.i know ive taking it to extremes but 50 years or so ago they were in the same category (legally)

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

How so?

(The same goes for most social justice groups at the moment, for various causes)."

100%

Reply privately

By *ea monkeyMan
13 weeks ago

Manchester (he/him)

“When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like discrimination”

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

Mr

Mr so considering its not that long ago since it were illegal to be gay now its the total opposite what would happen if other laws in regards to sexual preferences changed? Would we then have a beastiality month? Or god forbid a pedophile pride month? And then would we be expected to then accept that/they/them.i know ive taking it to extremes but 50 years or so ago they were in the same category (legally) "

Really?

Reply privately

By *ou only live onceMan
13 weeks ago

London

Mr

Mr so considering its not that long ago since it were illegal to be gay now its the total opposite what would happen if other laws in regards to sexual preferences changed? Would we then have a beastiality month? Or god forbid a pedophile pride month? And then would we be expected to then accept that/they/them.i know ive taking it to extremes but 50 years or so ago they were in the same category (legally) "

Seriously? I'd delete that post if I were you. It's beyond ridiculous.

Reply privately

By *4bimMan
13 weeks ago

Farnborough Hampshire

we there yet?

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

North West

"I think some of it is that they don't want to feel marginalized. It's why when "Black Lives matter" began the response was all lives matter. Thanks everyone that's not what was being argued

...but from a perspective of someone who may never have even considered being discriminated against, championing one cause means (in their mind) raising it up over who or what they are.

"Why do people need pride they don't need to throw it in our faces?" Is a valid perspective if you've never considered the plight of the LGBTQ+. Community id you've ever seen the hatred and bile endured. I don't agree that this is the right approach but I can see why the somewhat ignorant approach exists. "

I think you're mainly right, a lot is pure ignorance. But there's also a lot of wilful ignorance ("I don't care/don't need to or want to know") and unfortunately, a lot of genuine hatred.

I'm heterosexual but I have a similar lived experience of intolerance and varying kinds of levels of discrimination as a disabled person. I thought I understood back when I was able bodied. I did not. I really and truly did not. I do now.

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

"we there yet?"

Dunno

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

Warwick and Coventry

"

I didn't realise I was making a 'rezponsibity statement'... I wasn't and it's just typical you should say that to add a bit of drama to a normal situation... "

I feel like you need to go back a revisit and read your point!!!.. but I've done you a favour and edited out most of the rest, just incase you missed it..

Mr

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

North West

Mr

And there we are. The true colours come shining through (and they ain't rainbow).

Reply privately

By *ansoffateMan
13 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

What a surprise

I'm still waiting on your example... "

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/hate-crime-england-and-wales-2021-to-2022/hate-crime-england-and-wales-2021-to-2022

Trans and Sexual orientation hate crimes were around 30,000 that year, which has been increasing since 2014. 40% of those crimes were violence against the person.

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

Mr

Mr so considering its not that long ago since it were illegal to be gay now its the total opposite what would happen if other laws in regards to sexual preferences changed? Would we then have a beastiality month? Or god forbid a pedophile pride month? And then would we be expected to then accept that/they/them.i know ive taking it to extremes but 50 years or so ago they were in the same category (legally)

Seriously? I'd delete that post if I were you. It's beyond ridiculous."

obvs im not condoning either and have taken examples too the extreme but where does the inclusivness end???

Reply privately

By *r99mr99Man
13 weeks ago

Ealing

"

What is indisputable is that people from the LGBTQ+ communities are far more likely to be victims of violent crime than most other communities, in the UK (and elsewhere too). "

I think statements like this are slightly part of the problem

Are LGBTQ communities more likely to be victims of violent crime than their straight counterparts ? Absolutely yes.

Are they more likely than the black community ? Or the Islamic community with islamaphobia on the rise, or Jews with antisemitism at a high not seen since WW2?

With your orhasing it puts communities against each other and peooke rail against that. Keeo the stats to their counterparts and the argument stands alone and strong. Otherwise it undermine other communities.

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
13 weeks ago

A nice rock

"

To clarify - I’m saying they don’t represent the people they claim to."

Ya no I got that.

You obviously have a better insight than I do.

And maybe me grouping LGBTQ people into one "community" /mindset which clearly isn't true is a but condescending.

But it does seem to me that more than 1% engage with pride events?

Reply privately

By *ongAndThick123Man
13 weeks ago

Leeds

"

What is indisputable is that people from the LGBTQ+ communities are far more likely to be victims of violent crime than most other communities, in the UK (and elsewhere too).

Are LGBTQ communities more likely to be victims of violent crime than their straight counterparts ? Absolutely yes.

Are they more likely than the black community ? Or the Islamic community with islamaphobia on the rise, or Jews with antisemitism at a high not seen since WW2?

With your orhasing it puts communities against each other and peooke rail against that. Keeo the stats to their counterparts and the argument stands alone and strong. Otherwise it undermine other communities. "

To add to this, I don’t think they’re more likely to be a victim than women. Not at all.

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

Warwick and Coventry

Mr

I would reply to this, but it's just to much of a ludacris statement to get Into it with you!!!!

So you can have some LGBT+ rainbows instead...

Reply privately

By *arl17Man
13 weeks ago

Central Portugal

"

I didn't realise I was making a 'rezponsibity statement'... I wasn't and it's just typical you should say that to add a bit of drama to a normal situation...

I feel like you need to go back a revisit and read your point!!!.. but I've done you a favour and edited out most of the rest, just incase you missed it..

Mr "

Why?

Reply privately

By *ansoffateMan
13 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

Mr

Sorry to say.. But you are responsible for the life you end up living.. It cannot be anyones fault besides your own.. "

That's basically the definition of correspondence bias.

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

"“When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like discrimination” "

Reply privately

By *ou only live onceMan
13 weeks ago

London

Mr

Mr so considering its not that long ago since it were illegal to be gay now its the total opposite what would happen if other laws in regards to sexual preferences changed? Would we then have a beastiality month? Or god forbid a pedophile pride month? And then would we be expected to then accept that/they/them.i know ive taking it to extremes but 50 years or so ago they were in the same category (legally)

Seriously? I'd delete that post if I were you. It's beyond ridiculous. obvs im not condoning either and have taken examples too the extreme but where does the inclusivness end??? "

I know you weren't condoning either. I was flabbergasted that you thought there was any comparison between those and being gay. It's bizarre.

Reply privately

By *ongAndThick123Man
13 weeks ago

Leeds

"

To clarify - I’m saying they don’t represent the people they claim to.

Ya no I got that.

You obviously have a better insight than I do.

And maybe me grouping LGBTQ people into one "community" /mindset which clearly isn't true is a but condescending.

But it does seem to me that more than 1% engage with pride events?"

Pride is just the same people going to each one in different places. Plus around 50% of attendees are not lgbt. Not to mention out of the millions of gay people in the uk, it’s still less than 1% if you counted every attendee. And a final point is engaging is not the same as leading. There’s people who would go to whatever they’re told and behave however they are told.

Reply privately

13 weeks ago

North West

"

What is indisputable is that people from the LGBTQ+ communities are far more likely to be victims of violent crime than most other communities, in the UK (and elsewhere too).

With your orhasing it puts communities against each other and peooke rail against that. Keeo the stats to their counterparts and the argument stands alone and strong. Otherwise it undermine other communities.

To add to this, I don’t think they’re more likely to be a victim than women. Not at all. "

I believe women can and do exist in the LGBTQ+ community. Being a non heterosexual woman or a trans woman is a greater risk for violent crime and sexual abuse than being a heterosexual woman.

Being a disabled woman is higher risk than being a non disabled woman.

Being a black woman is higher risk than a white woman.

This thread has been about the LGBTQ+ community and so any comparisons are, by default, with the non-LGBTQ+ community (aka the heterosexual community). People belong to many different communities as part of their lives.

I'm a woman. Heterosexual. Disabled. White.

Reply privately