Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Windrush Day 2024

Jump to newest

By *inky_couple2020 OP   Couple
13 weeks ago

North West

Today marks 76 years since the Empire Windrush first arrived at Tilbury Docks, bringing people from the Caribbean to settle in the UK, at the invitation of the Government of the day.

People who came to the UK from the Caribbean filled all kinds of essential vacancies in the workforce and without them, we would not have been able to establish the NHS or rebuild the UK physically and economically after WW2.

Read a bit more about the Windrush generation and the scandal that unfolded as the UK Govt failed to recognise the legal right of Windrush era migrants and their families to live and work in the UK here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43782241

And here's a bit about a pioneering black British gentleman from the pre-Windrush era. I read his story and just wanted to smile:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mb6music/A4197350

Due to the links we can/can't post on here, there are lots of other websites where you can learn more about Windrush Day and why it is observed, if you do a little online search.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *eroLondonMan
13 weeks ago

Mayfair

By *dam1971Man
13 weeks ago

Bedford

Something even better is that the ship was originally built as a Nazi party cruise ship, and was commandeered after the war by the British.

A final “fuck you” to the fascists by using their boat to bring black people over

By *inky_couple2020 OP   Couple
13 weeks ago

North West

"Something even better is that the ship was originally built as a Nazi party cruise ship, and was commandeered after the war by the British.

A final “fuck you” to the fascists by using their boat to bring black people over "

I didn't know that! As someone with the family background I have, that makes me doubly happy.

By *naswingdressWoman
13 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

By *ansoffateMan
13 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

"Something even better is that the ship was originally built as a Nazi party cruise ship, and was commandeered after the war by the British.

A final “fuck you” to the fascists by using their boat to bring black people over "

Really? My wife would have loved that ironic twist.

Her father worked the railways and her mother became a nurse when she came from Jamaica at 18 worked as a nurse all the way into her 70s.

Should I be grateful to Hitler for my children? I think that's a stretch.

By *ittlebirdWoman
13 weeks ago

The Big Smoke

Post new Message to Thread