Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

In foreign lands

Jump to newest

By *artin216 OP   Man
over a year ago

Spilsby

Do people from your own country embarrass you????

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *prite128Woman
over a year ago

maidstone

yes, frequently

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Yes, took my son to brugge one springtime it was gorgeous very picturesque. We turned the corner there where these three guys holding each other up one had a hat on back to front one shirt open all the way really pissed and you just knew they where going to be english. (It was 11am)

By *riendlyfunfemWoman
over a year ago

A world of my own

Yes often.

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

We try to avoid places that the kinda folks that would show us up would go to

Steve

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Do people from your own country embarrass you????

"

I tend not to follow the crowd, so it is not usually an issue for me

over a year ago

I was in a restaurant in Greece with my 3 year old daughter who overheard a table full of english shouting for ketchup for their chips, she asked in a very loud voice as 3 year olds do "mummy why don't they eat the local food we have? it's cooked in tomatoes and tastes better than ketchup?"

over a year ago

when i see the many being hounded due to the few - yes - police security checks for any volunteer taking kids to school?????

when i see the fat getting fatter at the expense of the masses - bankers you know who you are - yes

when a leader i trusted turned out to be a liar and murderer - blair - yes

all these country men embarrass me to my core i am ashamed of them all

Forum Mod

over a year ago

yes they are a total embarrassment sometimes and make me cringe

By *riendlyfunfemWoman
over a year ago

A world of my own

"I was in a restaurant in Greece with my 3 year old daughter who overheard a table full of english shouting for ketchup for their chips, she asked in a very loud voice as 3 year olds do "mummy why don't they eat the local food we have? it's cooked in tomatoes and tastes better than ketchup?" "

Love it, give your daughter a big kiss from me.

Have to say have been going to Greece since my daughter was 7 and she has always wanted to eat/try the Greek food rather than English.

over a year ago

"I was in a restaurant in Greece with my 3 year old daughter who overheard a table full of english shouting for ketchup for their chips, she asked in a very loud voice as 3 year olds do "mummy why don't they eat the local food we have? it's cooked in tomatoes and tastes better than ketchup?"

Love it, give your daughter a big kiss from me.

Have to say have been going to Greece since my daughter was 7 and she has always wanted to eat/try the Greek food rather than English. "

My daughter is now all grown up with her own three year old and he is as outspoken and down to earth as his mother, but, like she was, is raised to try everything on the menu, only after he has tried something can he say he doesn't like it.

over a year ago

"My daughter is now all grown up with her own three year old and he is as outspoken and down to earth as his mother, but, like she was, is raised to try everything on the menu, only after he has tried something can he say he doesn't like it. "

Good on parents that do not allow their kids to grow into fussy eaters!

Fussy eaters = stuffy minds IMHO

By *riendlyfunfemWoman
over a year ago

A world of my own

Where most people's kids that I know would think 'its different so I don't want to eat it', my daughter would think, 'its different so I want to try it'.

over a year ago

To me, one of the pleasures of going on holiday away from home, is to try the local cuisine!

If it looks and smells good, then I would like to know if it tastes good too!

over a year ago

"We try to avoid places that the kinda folks that would show us up would go to

Steve "

Buggers turn up everywhere though, sometimes!

By *obblybitsCouple
over a year ago

huddersfield

no aswe don't do traveling. I do take the kids for a few weeks in fraNCEto my freinds house one a year. the english people in her town try to fit in as much as possible so no they don't.

you see it inthe papers and on the news daily of people showing the english to be horrible

Forum Mod

over a year ago

"Where most people's kids that I know would think 'its different so I don't want to eat it', my daughter would think, 'its different so I want to try it'."

My daughter is exactly the same as yours and will try anything,my son is the complete opposite though

over a year ago

"My daughter is now all grown up with her own three year old and he is as outspoken and down to earth as his mother, but, like she was, is raised to try everything on the menu, only after he has tried something can he say he doesn't like it.

Fussy eaters = stuffy minds IMHO "

Perhaps that is why my middle kid is now a happy happy chef, aiming for his pinnacle... a Michelin star... it will come, eventually, I don't doubt him.

over a year ago

"My daughter is now all grown up with her own three year old and he is as outspoken and down to earth as his mother, but, like she was, is raised to try everything on the menu, only after he has tried something can he say he doesn't like it.

Perhaps that is why my middle kid is now a happy happy chef, aiming for his pinnacle... a Michelin star... it will come, eventually, I don't doubt him. "

You look too young to have grown up children!!!

over a year ago

Perhaps that is why my middle kid is now a happy happy chef, aiming for his pinnacle... a Michelin star... it will come, eventually, I don't doubt him.

You look too young to have grown up children!!! "

Thank you so much you lovely lady! but 52 in feb.. added to that a grandson jogging about tends to remind me.

over a year ago

"Thank you so much you lovely lady! but 52 in feb.. added to that a grandson jogging about tends to remind me. "

No way!!! Really? What's your secret? Do tell!

over a year ago

"Thank you so much you lovely lady! but 52 in feb.. added to that a grandson jogging about tends to remind me.

No way!!! Really? What's your secret? Do tell! "

its no secret... my kids keep me young, I am truly blessed, they are 27, 24 and 11... the last was a grand finale lol xxxxx

over a year ago

I pretend to be foreign .......

over a year ago

"I pretend to be foreign .......

"

You are to us Southerners!

over a year ago

"No way!!! Really? What's your secret? Do tell!

its no secret... my kids keep me young, I am truly blessed, they are 27, 24 and 11... the last was a grand finale lol xxxxx "

Awwww, bless!

I guess I could have a grown up child at my age too, however, it is not something for me, not since I was 18, and I ain't changing my mind now!!!

over a year ago

"I pretend to be foreign .......

You are to us Southerners! "

I go south from time to time... up for air and south again I go....

over a year ago

"We try to avoid places that the kinda folks that would show us up would go to

Steve "

Yes so do I! Also avoid places out of season that cater to the British. Went to Kos one year: nearly every restaurant only served all day breakfast with chips! I dont eat that at home, apart from the view over to Turkey I could have been in Great Yarmouth :-/!

over a year ago

im scottish so everyone a foreigner to me lol!!!

have been times abroad iv looked around and thought "il pretend im not british" but such is life even the chavs got to have a holiday!!

as for the fussy eaters abroad.... until you have been a parent of a fussy eater dont mock its not easy!! mine survive on fresh fruit at home and abroad and there is no amounting of coaxing blackmail or bribery will change it!! restraunts around the globe have tried but she just a nightmare the best one was a small one in spain who made tapas just to try n tempt her and succeded in gettin her to try a few and gave me the recipe! its not always the parents fault and im not makin every mealtime a battleground at home or abroad!! any advice would be welcomed!

over a year ago

"im scottish so everyone a foreigner to me lol!!!

have been times abroad iv looked around and thought "il pretend im not british" but such is life even the chavs got to have a holiday!!

as for the fussy eaters abroad.... until you have been a parent of a fussy eater dont mock its not easy!! mine survive on fresh fruit at home and abroad and there is no amounting of coaxing blackmail or bribery will change it!! restraunts around the globe have tried but she just a nightmare the best one was a small one in spain who made tapas just to try n tempt her and succeded in gettin her to try a few and gave me the recipe! its not always the parents fault and im not makin every mealtime a battleground at home or abroad!! any advice would be welcomed! "

Good luck!!!

Glad I don't have kids, just don't know how they would turn out.

Good job too, as I have such a short fuse!

over a year ago

il give you mine lol!!! dont say u werent offered lol!! xx

over a year ago

"il give you mine lol!!! dont say u werent offered lol!! xx "

I like them, however, I can't eat a whole one!

over a year ago

wee bit o sauce n ul manage lol!!! x

over a year ago

"wee bit o sauce n ul manage lol!!! x "

I want to stay as ample, LOL!!!

over a year ago

lol!!!!!!!!! now are you sure u dont want to move up or down a catagory xxx

over a year ago

absolutely, the behaviour of many "brits abroad" is very embarassing even though we tend not to witness it we still feel embarassed

over a year ago

best i ever heard was in an airport on way home from turkey asked the couple beside us if they enjoyed it ..."no hen we didnae no one spoke english right and we couldnt get an all day breakfast anywhere" was hard to keep a straight face!!! xx

By *riendlyfunfemWoman
over a year ago

A world of my own

Was in Zakynthos in 97 and while picking up provisions at a local minimarket a lady and her husband where perusing the fruit and veg and she said (about the carrots), 'they're not like the ones in Tescos' FFS, to which I said 'no luv they are organic and a damn site better'.

By *riendlyfunfemWoman
over a year ago

A world of my own

[Removed by poster at 20/12/09 21:08:12]

over a year ago

lol!! iv heard that one a lot on my travels especially in hotels with buffets!!!

By *riendlyfunfemWoman
over a year ago

A world of my own

Also on same holiday I was talking to people in a bar and asking about the restaurants in the area and if they had tried any good ones, to which one guy said, 'ohhhh yes The Green Frog, they do a lovely English Sunday roast dinner there'. No no no!!!! I'm in Greece I want to eat Greek food, Grrrrrrr.

Post new Message to Thread