Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Boudoir photography

Jump to newest

By *aptainhornpipe OP   Man
16 weeks ago

manchester

This is more a thread about the technicalities of taking good boudoir photos, so might not be good wanking material

I’m interested to hear what other “photographers” use in terms of kit. I’m sure it’s possible to take decent photos on your phone these days but I am looking at it from a hobbiest perspective.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *r John WickMan
16 weeks ago

The Continental

Good results could be had with little kit.

When I had a studio, I’d often work with a wide aperture lens, one strobe light, and a couple of reflectors.

By *elticGent2024Man
16 weeks ago

Kempston

Very little to do with kit…

…how you control light and pose the model is everything. Really, it’s down to the skill of the photographer and that’s where it shows. The make and model of camera or lens is academic.

16 weeks ago

manchester

You both make good points, but knowing the right tool for the job helps.

Photography is an art form, composition use of light and interesting subjects poses and backgrounds all go to making a good photo. Equally using a macro lens to take a picture of something 100 metres away probably won’t yield good results no matter how artfully the subject has been posed.

By *rsKOTCTWoman
16 weeks ago

Leeds

Good lighting & backdrop should be enough of a kit if your photography skills are good.

By *red333Man
16 weeks ago

Dorchester

Take the photo close to the camera so no shots of the bedroom are included

By *r John WickMan
16 weeks ago

The Continental

The biggest skill was how to get the most from the client. Most of the time, they’d never been undressed in front of someone other than their partner, so it was hugely nerve wracking time for them. They’d often have insecurities and fears.

By *urreyphotographerMan
16 weeks ago

kt16

If we're talking about kit and not about posing. taking photos etc. any camera will take a decent photo. I use a canon 5diii a 5di ( now 20 years old ) and a Rp which I hate. I do a lot of shoots in hotel rooms so usually stick with a 50mm, in the studio I would usually use 135mm.

Never shoot in direct sunlight, try to defuse the light., Started to use LED lights as I shoot video, but one flash bounced off a white wall sheet to soften the light .

By *eyond PurityCouple
16 weeks ago

Lincolnshire

We use just our phone mainly but we do have a white screen, lights, reflectors and a Nikon Z50 camera but that’s been mainly used for landscape/safari pics up to now.

We have used the screen and lights/reflectors for about 5 pics out of the 500 we’ve got on here but mainly we try and use natural light.

We aren’t pro’s at all but we both have a good eye for a pic.

K

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

16 weeks ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

Natural light or minimal additional.

Windows.

Nice hotel rooms.

Lingerie and sheets.

And of course.....good company.

By *eyond PurityCouple
16 weeks ago

Lincolnshire

If the ‘model’ has a sexy head on then that’s most of the work done - as the person taking the pic, you’ve got to capture their sexiness.

Location and/or surroundings are also important.

These are much more important than the equipment - you could have the best equipment for lighting, composition, editing etc but if the model isn’t feeling it or the surroundings aren’t right then it doesn’t matter what equipment you have.

K

16 weeks ago

manchester

"If we're talking about kit and not about posing. taking photos etc. any camera will take a decent photo. I use a canon 5diii a 5di ( now 20 years old ) and a Rp which I hate. I do a lot of shoots in hotel rooms so usually stick with a 50mm, in the studio I would usually use 135mm.

Never shoot in direct sunlight, try to defuse the light., Started to use LED lights as I shoot video, but one flash bounced off a white wall sheet to soften the light . "

this is the sort of information I’m looking for

16 weeks ago

manchester

"We use just our phone mainly but we do have a white screen, lights, reflectors and a Nikon Z50 camera but that’s been mainly used for landscape/safari pics up to now.

We have used the screen and lights/reflectors for about 5 pics out of the 500 we’ve got on here but mainly we try and use natural light. I’ve not don’t much with lighting yet, I do really like playing with shadows and the way they can be used to hide/accentuate parts of the body or face.

We aren’t pro’s at all but we both have a good eye for a pic.

K"

16 weeks ago

manchester

"The biggest skill was how to get the most from the client. Most of the time, they’d never been undressed in front of someone other than their partner, so it was hugely nerve wracking time for them. They’d often have insecurities and fears. "

My subject will be used to being naked in front of me

By *r John WickMan
16 weeks ago

The Continental

If it was kit specifics you were after, I apologise. My answer was useless.

I had a pair of Canon 5Dmk3’s almost exclusively attached were a 50mm 1.2 prime lens, and a 24-70mm 2.8 zoom.

I had a big skylight in the ceiling for natural light, or a pair of radio triggered strobes.

By *rHotNottsMan
16 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"This is more a thread about the technicalities of taking good boudoir photos, so might not be good wanking material

I’m interested to hear what other “photographers” use in terms of kit. I’m sure it’s possible to take decent photos on your phone these days but I am looking at it from a hobbiest perspective. "

I mostly shoot Micro 4/3 kit so the Voigtländer Nokton 42.5mm f/0.95 is something to masturbate over , I’ve literally never experienced anything like it….but it weighs a ton.

For light I just use a any decent light at 45 degree and second kicker / spot (you can get cheap bulbs from iKEA with CLI of 100), or even the CatEye off my bike if I’m travelling light.

I dint do boudoir but I do portrait glamour mostly face and skin close up

By (user no longer on site)
16 weeks ago

I've done my fair share of posing for professional shots in the nude... usually B&W. A good studio and a nice warm bathrobe for the model is always appreciated.

I'm particularly impressed with the professional shots done of suspension bondage and intricate rope work.

Although I've tried being tied up myself, I just didn't have the patience for it. Plus I kept feeling like I was trussed up like a Christmas turkey.

But I'd love to try some cool B&W photography again after a nice flogging session... or a beating.

Gotta say though.... the rope marks look cool...

When I'm behind the lens, of course, I'm likely to use natural light, especially when I tie down my partners...

By *rHotNottsMan
16 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"If the ‘model’ has a sexy head on then that’s most of the work done - as the person taking the pic, you’ve got to capture their sexiness.

These are much more important than the equipment - you could have the best equipment for lighting, composition, editing etc but if the model isn’t feeling it or the surroundings aren’t right then it doesn’t matter what equipment you have.

K"

This is so true. Sometimes the model is good and it makes it easy for you but there’s something very rewarding about working with a non model and succeeding in getting some nice shots

Because when you ask a ‘non-model’ to pose or even when they just sense the presence of a camera lens on them….you know what happens, the shoulders, the face, everything does the opposite of what it should.

So if you work with non professional models you have to get around this by a relationship between them and you - or them & the camera. You can shoot fast, you can shoot using silent shutter mode, You can get into character have them treat the camera as a lover, a friend an enemy or even an animal! It takes time but when it works it’s pure magic

By *ot to giggleWoman
16 weeks ago

Coventry

"Good results could be had with little kit.

When I had a studio, I’d often work with a wide aperture lens, one strobe light, and a couple of reflectors. "

thats it - if you have a wide lens you can do me some

By *obilebottomMan
16 weeks ago

All over

I wonder what camera Mr Wick used for that rainbow pic. If yoy haven't fabbed it, please do now

By *tevencMan
16 weeks ago

North lincolnshire

During these photo shoots does the woman get turned on? How often do they end up having sex with the photographer or masturbating?

By *r John WickMan
16 weeks ago

The Continental

"During these photo shoots does the woman get turned on? How often do they end up having sex with the photographer or masturbating?"

If the photographer values their business and reputation……..never!

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

16 weeks ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"During these photo shoots does the woman get turned on? How often do they end up having sex with the photographer or masturbating?

If the photographer values their business and reputation……..never! "

Depends if its paid work or for a friend tbh.

By *r John WickMan
16 weeks ago

The Continental

"During these photo shoots does the woman get turned on? How often do they end up having sex with the photographer or masturbating?

If the photographer values their business and reputation……..never!

Depends if it’s paid work or for a friend tbh. "

True.

In my case then, it was always paid for with cash money. I can’t pay my bills with pussy.

By *elticGent2024Man
16 weeks ago

Kempston

"During these photo shoots does the woman get turned on? How often do they end up having sex with the photographer or masturbating?"

This is exactly the mindset that gives photography of this nature and the photographers doing it a bad reputation and creates a sleazy auto for those with no knowledge of the business.

As another photographer has already commented… never in a professional environment.

By (user no longer on site)
16 weeks ago

"If the ‘model’ has a sexy head on then that’s most of the work done - as the person taking the pic, you’ve got to capture their sexiness.

K

This is so true. Sometimes the model is good and it makes it easy for you but there’s something very rewarding about working with a non model and succeeding in getting some nice shots

Because when you ask a ‘non-model’ to pose or even when they just sense the presence of a camera lens on them….you know what happens, the shoulders, the face, everything does the opposite of what it should.

So if you work with non professional models you have to get around this by a relationship between them and you - or them & the camera. You can shoot fast, you can shoot using silent shutter mode, You can get into character have them treat the camera as a lover, a friend an enemy or even an animal! It takes time but when it works it’s pure magic

"

So true!

16 weeks ago

manchester

I guess it depends on their relationship, if it’s a hobbiest then there isn’t really anything at stake.

But if moneys changed hands and its a paid gig mixing shagging with business is a bad idea

By *rHotNottsMan
16 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I guess it depends on their relationship, if it’s a hobbiest then there isn’t really anything at stake.

But if moneys changed hands and its a paid gig mixing shagging with business is a bad idea "

Yeah very bad idea. I would never ask for money but it often gets quite intimate, it’s never a surprise when that happens. I generally only want to photograph people where there’s mutual sexual attraction.

But there are people on the other kinky site with full studios who do it without payment and are totally respectful and don’t want any sex. They do great work too , way better than mine.

By *electableicecreamMan
16 weeks ago

The West

I've worked as a model for a boudoir studio to create content and what I found to be the most important thing was the environment and the ability of the photographer to create a space where I could relax and be myself.

I love taking photos and often photograph my lovers and that is a different kind of intimacy and trust.

16 weeks ago

manchester

"This is more a thread about the technicalities of taking good boudoir photos, so might not be good wanking material

I’m interested to hear what other “photographers” use in terms of kit. I’m sure it’s possible to take decent photos on your phone these days but I am looking at it from a hobbiest perspective.

I mostly shoot Micro 4/3 kit so the Voigtländer Nokton 42.5mm f/0.95 is something to masturbate over , I’ve literally never experienced anything like it….but it weighs a ton.

For light I just use a any decent light at 45 degree and second kicker / spot (you can get cheap bulbs from iKEA with CLI of 100), or even the CatEye off my bike if I’m travelling light.

I dint do boudoir but I do portrait glamour mostly face and skin close up "

That’s really interesting, I’ve never touched micro 4/3 stuff. I shoot crop sensor myself. It occurs to me that because of the often subdued settings full frame might be better.

16 weeks ago

manchester

"If it was kit specifics you were after, I apologise. My answer was useless.

I had a pair of Canon 5Dmk3’s almost exclusively attached were a 50mm 1.2 prime lens, and a 24-70mm 2.8 zoom.

I had a big skylight in the ceiling for natural light, or a pair of radio triggered strobes.

"

I know it’s a sex site and I know this isn’t that sexy, but it’s interesting to me. 5D is FF I am using a crop sensor. One of the questions I have for myself is is a 50mm prime wide enough given the confined bedroom settings I plan to shoot in.

By *oleene HoneybeeWoman
16 weeks ago

on the naughty side of the street

Not a photographer but have been published as ive done quite a few boudour shoots.

Being able to work with Light is and will always be the best tool for any photographer.

It can make or break a photo.

Some of my most favourite shots used natural light.

By *iscean_dreamMan
16 weeks ago

Llanelli

No greater bit of kit than a good eye

By *r John WickMan
16 weeks ago

The Continental

"If it was kit specifics you were after, I apologise. My answer was useless.

I know it’s a sex site and I know this isn’t that sexy, but it’s interesting to me. 5D is FF I am using a crop sensor. One of the questions I have for myself is is a 50mm prime wide enough given the confined bedroom settings I plan to shoot in. "

The only thing you might find is you get a bit of vignetting around the corners. It adds a little zoom effect on a cropped sensor so you may find yourself having to zoom out with your feet. In a small bedroom, you’ll still get really nice 3/4 length portraits, bodyscapes, etc.

16 weeks ago

manchester

"Not a photographer but have been published as ive done quite a few boudour shoots.

Being able to work with Light is and will always be the best tool for any photographer.

It can make or break a photo.

Some of my most favourite shots used natural light. "

Using light is something I need to learn to get better at

By *ensman100Man
14 weeks ago

Hounslow

I use Canon Dslr or a lumix G5

On location I use speedlights with modifiers- software box, brolly etc or Bowens strobes in the studio.

Controlling the light is key and knowing how to pose models.

Happy to do a session in a studio for anyone who'd like to learn a little about lighting!

By *ecadent_DevonMan
14 weeks ago

Okehampton

I use a Nikon zfc. Can’t underestimate the importance of a sturdy tripod (stop sniggering) and a remote trigger (either through snap bridge or infrared) to ensure crisp sharp images.

Natural light is the most important tool and if you have to mimic it do your research. Finally models have to be confident and trusting which requires a degree of social skills on the photographers part, when someone is relaxed and at ease the camera adores them

By *till gameMan
14 weeks ago

two doors down

I inherited a box brownie a few years ago, would that do the job

By *ilsaGeorgeCouple
14 weeks ago

kent

The best approach is a collaborative approach. You’re working together to create an image. The model should feel absolutely safe, and have total trust and faith in the photographer. Open communication and deep respect is a necessity. Remember, giving someone control over naked or compromising pictures of yourself requires more trust than meeting someone for a hook-up. This kind of photography, especially on here, is not to be taken lightly.

Regarding kit, mine is built for my professional work, so significantly overkill for posting pics on fab. Xx

By *cLovin2Man
14 weeks ago

Reading

I'm actually planning a session at the weekend with a lady, not so much photos as video. The issue I have is she gets nervous about the cameras.

Any techniques anyone can recommend for relaxing the subject, getting her to forget about the cameras?

By *uffolkcouple-bi onlyCouple
14 weeks ago

West Suffolk

The camera you use is kinda irrelevant but having said that, controlling depth of field in this type of photography is quite important. So you need to be familiar with manual settings or how to use the Av setting while maintaining sync speeds.

In the whole it’s more about location, lighting and what they wear.

By *ouples_EroticaXXXCouple
14 weeks ago

manchester

"The camera you use is kinda irrelevant but having said that, controlling depth of field in this type of photography is quite important. So you need to be familiar with manual settings or how to use the Av setting while maintaining sync speeds.

In the whole it’s more about location, lighting and what they wear. "

Would have to disagree camera and lens selection is hugely important.

You’re going to struggle to get good bokeh with 14mm f5.6 lens compared to a 35mm f1.4 lens. Of course you can use focal distance to produce bokeh but you would need to be stood about 20m away to get sufficient shallow depth of field.

Lighting and location are the easy part.

Post new Message to Thread