Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

So mad for letting myself get old.

Jump to newest

By *opsy Rogers OP   Woman
over a year ago

London

In May last year, I suffered a neck injury that left me in so much pain, I could really understand how people can take their own lives in such circumstances. It's taken me almost a year to be free of pain and back to doing the job I love.

I used to be super fit, ran for the army in my teens and twenties, always able to join in any sort of sporting activity in the knowledge I had the stamina and fitness to do so but tonight, I had to hold back the tears.

I joined a core abs class, something I'm no stranger to but I sucked, I mean really sucked at it. My body just wasn't doing what it was supposed to and I felt old and pathetic. I'm not going to give up as I love exercise and can get a real high out of it and I know it only gets better and better, but heed my warning, don't take it for granted, any of it.

I may be 52 but in my head I'm only 28 and to fail at a few bloody sit-ups was a crazy shock.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

Awwww *hugs*

As someone who is a yo-yo gym goer I can assure you it will get easier, and more quickly than you think. Go for it!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Presumably it's taken you a year to slowly get better so you haven't been able to do much exercise. So why are you saying it's your age? Injuries can take ages to recover from. No-one is super fit when they start. Be a bit easier on yourself. Give it a few weeks and you'll be showing the rest of them how it's done. x

over a year ago

I started to take health supplements in the form of glucosamine tablets and cod liver oil capsules, as I find the recovery time from physical activities gets longer and longer.

Only started a week ago, however, in my mind it appears to be working, as I don't feel as bad after setting up camp yesterday.

By *odareyouMan
over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

Professional sportsmen and women have a pre season traing,, its surpprising how quickly we lose fitness and condition,,

If youve had a year without exercise, im not surprised you struggled tonight,, id have been amazed if you hadnt,

Not your age op just a matter of building back up to where you want to be,,

over a year ago

Everyone gets it if they haven't exercised certain muscles for a period of time,for example i regularly play golf(weather permitting) and can get out of the car and go to the first tee with minimal strecthing and play really good but if i have not played for a week or more my muscles are so tight i feel like im 80.

over a year ago

I had to give up most exercise for a year, with a "split" kneecap, but after a successful op, I started running again six weeks ago.

It's been bloody hard work, and I reckon I'll never be as fast as I used to be, but I'm just glad to be able again.

I'm not going to let it beat me though

By *edbagioMan
over a year ago

ripon

I allways like to get out running or bikeing ;you get the odd time when you think you wont get fit again.

but a little at a time if your into it as much as you seem to be it will come back

over a year ago

A few years ago I had c6-c7 surgery and like yourself was fit with lots of sports etc. I took a year to get back to fitness and although I went to gym and did some stuff after 4months I nearly dropped a 2.5kg weight on my head as I couldn't lower it!!

By *ike To Play 21Man
over a year ago

York

We dont get old, we just mature! Time is a thing we cant turn back, so look forward and enjoy your time! When our time stops theres no more! Keep smiling through it all!

over a year ago

As others have said, don't loook at it as down to your age, this is down to recovering from injury. The trouble with being fit, is when you lose it is so noticeable and you are acutely aware of how unfit you feel which pyschologically can be tough as you also know how far away you are from where you want to be.

Use your current fitness as your benchmark for improvement rather than focus on re-achieving your previous levels.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"Presumably it's taken you a year to slowly get better so you haven't been able to do much exercise. So why are you saying it's your age? Injuries can take ages to recover from. No-one is super fit when they start. Be a bit easier on yourself. Give it a few weeks and you'll be showing the rest of them how it's done. x"

over a year ago

London

"A few years ago I had c6-c7 surgery and like yourself was fit with lots of sports etc. I took a year to get back to fitness and although I went to gym and did some stuff after 4months I nearly dropped a 2.5kg weight on my head as I couldn't lower it!! "

That was the route I was heading down but I'm very thankful it wasn't necessary in the end. Have you fully recovered from it?

The thing that shocked me the most was that despite many breaks from exercise over the years, I never lost as much condition as I have now. I will be using my previous level as a benchmark, I will not get prematurely old!

Thanks for all the words of encouragement people, they are much appreciated.

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

try tai chi ... low impact exercises may help.... i had a trapped nerve in my neck and it helped me .... good luck xx

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

from one who used to tab up big fuck off hills with a house on the back in ones 20's i know where your coming from..

it can be frustrating as we get older that we cant do what we used to do but tis part and parcel etc..

sadly recovery from any serious injury does take a bit longer as we err age..

dont be too hard on yourself..

good luck with getting back there..

over a year ago

London

"from one who used to tab up big fuck off hills with a house on the back in ones 20's i know where your coming from..

it can be frustrating as we get older that we cant do what we used to do but tis part and parcel etc..

sadly recovery from any serious injury does take a bit longer as we err age..

dont be too hard on yourself..

good luck with getting back there.."

No! I won't give in to age! But yep, I was that nutter that pushed herself to do ridiculous things in the name of sport. Loved it too, especially when some other nutter was screaming at me to do more.....bliss.

over a year ago

Wheres my zimmer frame.xxxx

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

you dont look all that old to me .... rather fit if i may say so xx

By *eady_eddyMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Have you put on weight? When I decided to get back into shape and I soon realised I had to lose weight when I tried to do chin ups and could mange 2 as opposed to the usual 10. Sit ups started at about 12 as opposed to 25. I lost 2 st and I am back to the regular amounts now. You'll get there!

over a year ago

You my friend, are definitely not old! Nor do you look it or act it.

Yes you have had these problems but I bow to your strength and ability to basically move on and stick two fingers up at life/your recent issues!

I know people don't know you per say on here, I do and I would say to anyone reading this, you are your own tower of strength and long may that continue.

over a year ago

London

"Have you put on weight? When I decided to get back into shape and I soon realised I had to lose weight when I tried to do chin ups and could mange 2 as opposed to the usual 10. Sit ups started at about 12 as opposed to 25. I lost 2 st and I am back to the regular amounts now. You'll get there!"

No, after loosing eight stones a few years back and keeping it off, it only fluctuates a few pounds here or there.

I dream of doing chin-ups!

Post new Message to Thread