Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Recycling you doing it... ?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Is recycling important to you? I do my bit and now been given a food bin thay will pick up each week it will go into making compost so that said ... We have a really good recycling place near us .. its handy . I hope to get better at this .

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *exxxesCouple
over a year ago

Newbury / London

we've recycled everything for years and years. since we moved though we have had to change our havbits slightly. council down here doesn't collect same materials and doesn't co-mingle, makes it trickier but we're still doing our bit.

we've spent 10 year with jobs that are indirectly linked to recycling so we are biased anyway

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I rarely do any recycling. Maybe the odd bit of cardboard but that's it.

By *o1mrtlcMan
over a year ago

cannock

I only just do the normal stuff paper, cans, bottles etc and the green waste too that's really good

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

I try and do as much as I can but council is terrible at it

over a year ago

Very, very little is really waste/rubbish. I'm a support worker at a home for 5 adults (not the elderly) with mental health issues and one can't believe how fast they fill their grey / none-recyclable wheely bins. It'd take me about 6 months to full 1. And that's with two young children living with me much of the time.

It's the other support workers at work who are responsible for it. I often fish plastic bottles etc. out of the waste to put them in the recycling where they should have gone in the first place...moan, moan, moan! Think they need enlightening.

We don't inherit the earth form out parents: We are the caretakers of it for our children

x

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

We recycle the usual stuff (Paper, cardboard, tins, bottles, ect). We DO have a box for food waste from the council but we don't use it as we have our own compost bin in the garden.

Damn council trying to steal MY compost! Get your own!

- Amy. x

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"I try and do as much as I can but council is terrible at it "
Well I think why I can and almost everything is because local councils doing all sorts so we can around here . Was told there good money in this too , so maybe that's why thay are on the ball ,

By *ovecpl69Couple
over a year ago

london

we recycle cans, bottles, plastic, cartons, paper, cardboard, soon they are bring in waste food recycling abit worried tho with the smell plus flies rat, mice, so think we will be giving this one a miss lol but the rest we will keep recycling you sure can notice the result from recycling the stuff we do has we dont need to put our waste bin out every week also heard that our council are planning a fourtnighty collection of our waste bin which alot aint happy about if they recycled more like us theres no need be mad about happy recycling couple

over a year ago

its just the standard way for me to sort waste. we have a 2 weekly waste collection cycle. one week is black bin, other is recycling

piece of piss really. tins/plasic bottles in one bag, paper/card into the other. garden/food waste in a brown bin and everything else into the black bin

over a year ago

If I didn't recycle Ide have no where to put my rubbish. I've got 4 different bins and they are collected every fortnight

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

The OH does...I always put the wrong things in the wrong bins.

Most household stuff can be recycled. I didn't realise how little waste there is until I went to a friends and saw her bin overflowing as she doesn't recycle.

over a year ago

"The OH does...I always put the wrong things in the wrong bins.

Most household stuff can be recycled. I didn't realise how little waste there is until I went to a friends and saw her bin overflowing as she doesn't recycle."

Dead interesting this, in'it? This remark is similar to mine about work. Especially when none-recyclable people don't even practice the ritual of squashing down plastic bottles before they put them in the wrong bin.

over a year ago

I recycle as much as I can including food waste tho with a teenager around there isn't much food waste left, the only thing I can't recycle is plastic bags but everything is collected by the council in four different bins

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Most household stuff can be recycled. I didn't realise how little waste there is until I went to a friends and saw her bin overflowing as she doesn't recycle.

Dead interesting this, in'it? This remark is similar to mine about work. . "

Yeah I was really surprised.

The only problem with all this recycling is the amount of bins you have...we are lucky and have a drive that goes to the back of the house so can hide them, but they would drive me nuts if I had to leave them at the front of the house.

over a year ago

Dead interesting this, in'it? This remark is similar to mine about work. .

Yeah I was really surprised.

The only problem with all this recycling is the amount of bins you have...we are lucky and have a drive that goes to the back of the house so can hide them, but they would drive me nuts if I had to leave them at the front of the house.

"

Ok but think what'd be like if we didn't have one bin which took: glass; tins; cardboard and plastic! Much of my green waste goes in my own compost bin at the bottom of the garden too. IMAO having a few different bins is a small price to pay

By *xpresMan
over a year ago

Elland

Its not inportant but i do it as due corse i got 3 bins from the council so its just as easy using them as just one bin

By *ornyHorwichCpl aka HHCCouple
over a year ago

horwich

Probley get stoned to death now, but No !

Once you have seen the recycle bin getting emptied into "the same" bin cart as the rubbish bin, sort of makes you think why bother !!

over a year ago

No choice where we live. There are now 17 different bins to put stuff in. They introduced one last year specially for dead pets and roadkill.

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

I live on the first floor of a block of four flats. My kitchen is tiny and there's no room for different bins/bags. We are supposed to seperate/wash/squash everything then put it in relevant bags etc then transfer that to the communal bins which are kept out the back in a car park. So I do the easy stuff like paper and cardboard which I keep in a bag just outside my front door (even though I'm not meant to have things in the communal areas) and I have a carrier bag in my kitchen for plastic/glass bottles and jars. I don't do the food waste as there's nowhere for the bin to be stores unless its on my kitchen work top and I have to wait till my sons in bed at night then quickly run the days stuff downstairs. The bins only get collected once every fortnight and are often overflowing by then as we only have one of each bin between the 4 flats yet the houses opposite have one each!!

over a year ago

"Probley get stoned to death now, but No !

Once you have seen the recycle bin getting emptied into "the same" bin cart as the rubbish bin, sort of makes you think why bother !! "

I don't see the point in it for this reason. I have two normal bins anyway. So its rare it doesn't all fit.

over a year ago

Once you have seen the recycle bin getting emptied into "the same" bin cart as the rubbish bin, sort of makes you think why bother !!

I don't see the point in it for this reason. I have two normal bins anyway. So its rare it doesn't all fit. "

Makes one wonder how much of it is Greenwash, doesn't it?

By *ornyHorwichCpl aka HHCCouple
over a year ago

horwich

I don't see the point in it for this reason. I have two normal bins anyway. So its rare it doesn't all fit.

Makes one wonder how much of it is Greenwash, doesn't it? "

over a year ago

"Is recycling important to you? I do my bit and now been given a food bin thay will pick up each week it will go into making compost so that said ... We have a really good recycling place near us .. its handy . I hope to get better at this .

"

Very important people that don't are just lazy

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

I have 4 bins; general waste, bottles and cans, paper and cardboard, compostable material. So bought myself a compartmented kitchen bin to make it easier.

over a year ago

This forum is an outstanding example of recycled debate..

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"its just the standard way for me to sort waste. we have a 2 weekly waste collection cycle. one week is black bin, other is recycling

piece of piss really. tins/plasic bottles in one bag, paper/card into the other. garden/food waste in a brown bin and everything else into the black bin "

Same for me. Makes it so easy and the amount that goes in the black bin is tiny.

Just a bit of a pisser when the council cant be bothered sending the wagon one week and so they just chuck it all in together the week after

By *anSusieCouple
over a year ago

Midlothian

i grew up with recycling and it's 2nd nature.Our council is great and pick-up is like clockwork with all the different trucks.

(susie)

By *am123Man
over a year ago

essex chelmsford

we have so many different bloody bins it really gets me, i think its a waste of time altho we do it, sometimes it takes as much energy heating the water to wash the plastic pots up than it would to have them dumped. not only that i know someone who works landfill doing pest controll and he says he often see the same bags that we take time to sort out plastic etc going in the ground anyway all the different lorrys dumping on alot of occasions so it makes you wonder.

By *i 1 Get 1 FreeCouple (MM)
over a year ago

birmingham

We don't do any recycling, pay £1000 CT per year, let the council sort it

By *owlmMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

I recycle some paper but dont recycle much.

i think it should be up to the packaging designers to redesign packages.

the council dont trust us they have put microchips in our bins.

council expect us to rinse bottles and cans out. how much is that gonna cost in water and how bad is that for the environment??

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Yes.

I only have one wheelie bin outside, anything which is on the recycling list goes into orange bags. So I just have two bins in the kitchen, one lined with the orange bags the other with standard bin liners.

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"I recycle some paper but dont recycle much.

council expect us to rinse bottles and cans out. how much is that gonna cost in water and how bad is that for the environment??"

It should take no more water than your washing up does already.

over a year ago

". not only that i know someone who works landfill doing pest controll and he says he often see the same bags that we take time to sort out plastic etc going in the ground anyway all the different lorrys dumping on alot of occasions so it makes you wonder. "

Mick used to drive a lorry from England to Holland tip bales plastic off, drive round the yard and collect the same bales, total waste of rescources

By *owlmMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

"we recycle cans, bottles, plastic, cartons, paper, cardboard, soon they are bring in waste food recycling abit worried tho with the smell plus flies rat, mice, so think we will be giving this one a miss lol but the rest we will keep recycling you sure can notice the result from recycling the stuff we do has we dont need to put our waste bin out every week also heard that our council are planning a fourtnighty collection of our waste bin which alot aint happy about if they recycled more like us theres no need be mad about happy recycling couple "

foods expensive. if your recycling food your earning too much money

over a year ago

I don't see any harm done by trying to recycle things and to not do so seems vulgar and largely living surrounded by shit. But maybe some would rather that, than a tiny bit of effort.

over a year ago

". not only that i know someone who works landfill doing pest controll and he says he often see the same bags that we take time to sort out plastic etc going in the ground anyway all the different lorrys dumping on alot of occasions so it makes you wonder.

Mick used to drive a lorry from England to Holland tip bales plastic off, drive round the yard and collect the same bales, total waste of rescources

"

Recycling!! One of the biggest con tricks perpetrated on us ever. Most of it does not stand up to a proper audit.

Just another way to con us into lining the pockets of big business. If they really wanted to protect the environment they would restrict packaging and encouragement to buy more food than is required bogof offers etc.

By *i 1 Get 1 FreeCouple (MM)
over a year ago

birmingham

"required bogof offers etc. "

Someone call?

over a year ago

"I recycle some paper but dont recycle much.

council expect us to rinse bottles and cans out. how much is that gonna cost in water and how bad is that for the environment??

It should take no more water than your washing up does already."

Yes I try as much as possible to use my washing up water before I tip it away.

Cue all the messages from people saying they have dish washers and thus no washing up water.

Changing the subject: We used washable nappies for our oldest and they're a real case of swings (not swingers) and roundabouts with all the water and electric it takes to wash them.

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

As I live alone a dishwasher makes sense, paradoxically, as I only have enough for a full load every few days. Therefore, I use less water than if I was washing up in the sink.

over a year ago

I recycle kind of have to over here in Germany(so easy) but i also upcycle too, especially when it comes to crafts that involve wool for me, I just unpick it wind it up into a ball. Also work at a thrift shop kind of in my blood now I do it with out thinking most of the time.

over a year ago

If u mean ive just come back from a 10m mile bike ride n feel absolutely knackered n full of sweat,,,then do it all over again....then thats re-cycling! hahaha

exercise too.

over a year ago

We used to have a collection for glass, paper and card, tins and plastic but then one of the local waste companies got this new machine that sorts the rubbish. So now we just recycle paper and card, and glass. It took ages to get my head round throwing so much stuff in the bin, and I still don't trust the machine does a good job of sorting it as I did but I just have to hope so. I've been known to pick through rubbish bags to get the recycling. I even take my bus tickets home to recycle as I don't trust Arriva not to just chuck them! I'll also take stuff home from trips and holidays (I've been known to carry stuff in my bag for a week) so I know I can recycle it properly.

Oh my God I've just realised how obsessed I am!

over a year ago

". not only that i know someone who works landfill doing pest controll and he says he often see the same bags that we take time to sort out plastic etc going in the ground anyway all the different lorrys dumping on alot of occasions so it makes you wonder.

Recycling!! One of the biggest con tricks perpetrated on us ever. Most of it does not stand up to a proper audit.

Just another way to con us into lining the pockets of big business. If they really wanted to protect the environment they would restrict packaging and encouragement to buy more food than is required bogof offers etc. "

Yes. We're supposed to be in a right pickle and all polititions can spout is 'growth'

By *ovecpl69Couple
over a year ago

london

[Removed by poster at 29/03/13 02:09:06]

By *ovecpl69Couple
over a year ago

london

we are doing our bit recycling carls durex and erm... my towels hehe x

over a year ago

my life needs re-cycling! ooooer! ive loosing the plot...

lol

over a year ago

"we are doing our bit recycling carls durex and erm... my towels hehe x "

Yes it's about time we talked recycling 'bodily waste'

over a year ago

Given my occupation it would be wrong for me not to recycle.

However, yes I do including the items not currently collected by the authority which I take to the nearest recycling centre.

I also have a compost bin for vegetable peelings etc.

over a year ago

Very important to me.

I recycle everything, quite often via the dogs, who do their bit by raiding the bins. ..

I'm no hypocrite. I can't complain about global weather change and not act to help improve things, however insignificant my part may be.

over a year ago

i try to do my best to re-cycle but then mark sorts everything out into the right bins and boxes

Post new Message to Thread