Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Ridiculing Christianity

Jump to newest

By *icketysplits OP   Woman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Anne Widdicombe on BBC1 looking at why it's acceptable to make jokes about Christianity. They are showing her in panto.

It's a question that has been asked on here more than once.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

listened to her on 5 live yesterday..

thought she came across as arrogant..

over a year ago

"listened to her on 5 live yesterday..

thought she came across as arrogant..

"

That's a given.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Always look on the bright side of life

over a year ago

"Always look on the bright side of life "

I can't whistle.

By *ady4ladyWoman
over a year ago

liverpool

"Always look on the bright side of life "

If life seems jolly rotten

There's something you've forgotten

And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

All you have to do is purse your lips and blow

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

why not? It's an equally valid question

By *ady4ladyWoman
over a year ago

liverpool

Just remember that the last laugh is on you.

By *mm_n_ZedCouple
over a year ago

Fareham

It's hardly an impartial look at comedy aimed at Christianity though is it? You can see her bristling at most of the stuff on the programme.

over a year ago

What is the question

over a year ago

"What is the question"

Why is it acceptable to mock Christianity?

over a year ago

She reckons she is a virgin cannot say it suprises me

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Goodness Gracious Me was brilliant, can't believe she would take offence at that

Something bland for me

over a year ago

"What is the question

Why is it acceptable to mock Christianity?"

Because Christianity can withstand it. As can Buddhism. It's the Middle Eastern religions that seem to get all angsty if someone has a pop at them (I am referring to Judaism and Islam here) but then they're on PermaKill with each other anyway so it's hardly surprising everyone else is getting caught up in their turf wars.

over a year ago

"Goodness Gracious Me was brilliant, can't believe she would take offence at that

Something bland for me "

The blander the better. I'm not sure what there was in the Goodness Gracious Me example.

By *ady4ladyWoman
over a year ago

liverpool

Very valid question, but I hope there is a strong fence cos Im sitting on it...... dont want to sound flippant by saying that I dont think there is any subject that cant be 'funny' but not sure about 'mocking'. So I wont say anything at all.!

Fence is comfy.

over a year ago

"Very valid question, but I hope there is a strong fence cos Im sitting on it...... dont want to sound flippant by saying that I dont think there is any subject that cant be 'funny' but not sure about 'mocking'. So I wont say anything at all.!

Fence is comfy. "

It is a valid question and I'm glad it is being covered. Particularly now that it is looking at why Islam isn't mocked.

over a year ago

"What is the question

Why is it acceptable to mock Christianity?"

Right. I'm hoping she's in favour but won't hold my breath.

Seriously, if it's a person's belief then that's up to them. But I reserve my right to question it at least. If its so unbelievably rooted and deeply-held and wonderful and (insert hype here), then no amount of ridicule - offensive or otherwise - from the likes of me or anyone should shake someone's belief.

I would equally defend to the hilt the right of anyone to have a belief. Be it Christianity, Buddhism, Hornby train sets, you name it.

If only Christians could be so open and tolerant.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

People or religions who sit themselves on high horses are easy targets to be shot down

over a year ago

"What is the question

Seriously, if it's a person's belief then that's up to them. But I reserve my right to question it at least. If its so unbelievably rooted and deeply-held and wonderful and (insert hype here), then no amount of ridicule - offensive or otherwise - from the likes of me or anyone should shake someone's belief.

I would equally defend to the hilt the right of anyone to have a belief. Be it Christianity, Buddhism, Hornby train sets, you name it.

If only Christians could be so open and tolerant. "

She has just glanced at the fact that people can't talk about their faith.

I don't think it's off limits to have any faith and none questioned and humour is a great way of doing it.

over a year ago

"People or religions who sit themselves on high horses are easy targets to be shot down "

Put them all on Shetland Ponies then.

over a year ago

seems if someone comments on religion its wrong..yet religion and those who preach it can comment on everyone else and how they live etc and that if not there way then its a NoNo.

dont want to offend anyone..but for me its like chinese whispers. anyone can write a book after all cant they? things can be exagerated also.

But if people belief in something i do respect that as long as they respect me.

I actualy think i aint answered the thread haha! Oh yes if someone makes a joke about it..its just humour, but like anything...depends on the person as to what they find rude or insulting and tex in which its said also.

over a year ago

"What is the question

Agree with all that, apart from the last sentence. I'd change it to- 'If only ..all religions.. could be so open and tolerant.'

It sounds interesting, just caught the last minute. Can't find a BBC+1 channel.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Dave Allen was a pioneer in the religious piss take, many have tried to emulate him but now it's all about political correctness

over a year ago

"Dave Allen was a pioneer in the religious piss take, many have tried to emulate him but now it's all about political correctness "

But he belongs to gods chosen peeps, therefore receives special dispensation, along with arthur lineham the creator of father Ted.

over a year ago

"Dave Allen was a pioneer in the religious piss take, many have tried to emulate him but now it's all about political correctness "

Dave Allen was one of the best.

Well it is now Maundy Thursday so I'm looking for people to humble themselves and wash some feet.

over a year ago

"What is the question

Agree with all that, apart from the last sentence. I'd change it to- 'If only ..all religions.. could be so open and tolerant.'

It sounds interesting, just caught the last minute. Can't find a BBC+1 channel. "

Dya know what, I originally wrote religion and changed it. Soz!

But yer right. X

over a year ago

"Dave Allen was a pioneer in the religious piss take, many have tried to emulate him but now it's all about political correctness

Well it is now Maundy Thursday so I'm looking for people to humble themselves and wash some feet."

I'd gladly lick them. But that's just my kink

over a year ago

"Dave Allen was a pioneer in the religious piss take, many have tried to emulate him but now it's all about political correctness

Well it is now Maundy Thursday so I'm looking for people to humble themselves and wash some feet.

I'd gladly lick them. But that's just my kink "

I'm sure someone will like that.

over a year ago

"What is the question

It sounds interesting, just caught the last minute. Can't find a BBC+1 channel.

Dya know what, I originally wrote religion and changed it. Soz!

But yer right. X"

Great minds and all that.

I wasn't dissing your comment though, just saying I'd change it from my point of view. x

over a year ago

But what is really left to debate in a world of fossils and free speech?

Illusion. Delusion. Disillusion.

Drop your labels and go discover, don't get in line behind the critics unless you're happy with table scraps all your life!

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Jedi

over a year ago

"What is the question

Hornby train sets, now your talking.

over a year ago

Everyone has the right to believe in what ever they want. That does not make it right. Religion had its place in the past when it could be used to control a population and explain what science couldn't. I don't believe you can be intelligent and believe in a god. If I went around saying I believe in Father Christmas I would be ridiculed.

Religion is basically spending your life worrying about what happens after you die. Pointless!

over a year ago

Everyone should be free to practice religion however and wherever they wish subject to the law.

Takecas example folk being barred from wearing a crucifix if it wad a genuine health and safety issue i could see the point but purely barred as to not upset other religious groups is out of order.

Folk are free to believe or not believe and state opinions but not all religions allow folk to question it as example but not exclusive islam.

I do not care on iota about any god as not my thing but if we allow without prejudice criticism of say catholic belief of jesus without fear of recrimination indignation yes then all other religious can and should be open to questions being asked.

If not then we are not as free as a nation as folk are led to believe but this does not mean criticism just for sake of it.

over a year ago

Maybe Christians have got the ability to laugh at themselves?

over a year ago

To make fun of christianity is to make fun of an idea. Any idea,even if it is a sincerely held belief is fair game.

Its a belief,an idea.Nothing else

By *arnayguyMan
over a year ago

Durham Tees

If I had my way you wouldn't be allowed to have a religion unless you could make fun of yourself first.

Post new Message to Thread