Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

End of an era for me locally

Jump to newest

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

RAF Cottesmore is a Royal Air Force station in Rutland, England, situated between Cottesmore and Market Overton. The station houses all the operational Harrier GR9 squadrons in the Royal Air Force, and No 122 Expeditionary Air Wing. On 15 December 2009 it was announced that the base would close as part of defence spending cuts, with the Joint Harrier Force moving to RAF.

Its due to close in 2013 goodness knows whats going to happen here then. So many people here are civilians working there and obviously all the people stationed bring in revenue for the town

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

It will be a sad day all round as its been there a while. At least the civilians have a few years to find alternatives but really not good for the local economy.

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

"It will be a sad day all round as its been there a while. At least the civilians have a few years to find alternatives but really not good for the local economy. "

70 years its been there, many local firms have done masses of work there. The camp is like a little village with so many houses, a school ect i just hoping there not just going to leave it derilict like so many. Three years before it closes

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

"It will be a sad day all round as its been there a while. At least the civilians have a few years to find alternatives but really not good for the local economy.

70 years its been there, many local firms have done masses of work there. The camp is like a little village with so many houses, a school ect i just hoping there not just going to leave it derilict like so many. Three years before it closes"

Done a few parachute jumps from there so hoping it will stop open as an airport for civilian jumps. might create some jobs. Lets hope something drops right.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

We all thought Luton would die on it's feet when Vauxhall ceased production of saloon cars in the town but it's human nature to think the worst instead of look for the positives. It's taken a while to sort out but the old Vauxhall plant which covered some hundreds of acres of land will now be redeveloped into a major leisure facility, including shopping and hotels, which will create many thousands of jobs.

And that's the thing to rememebr here I guess... The Land.. it's always going to be there and someone will find a use for it.

Post new Message to Thread