Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Artificial intelligence

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
23 weeks ago

I was listening to a podcast today and Stephen Fry was on saying about how AI is going to utterly, utterly change our world.

He likened public awareness of the effects like sitting on a beach with your back to the incoming tsunami totally unaware of the upheaval to come.

I’ll be honest, I don’t have a clue. I have my back to the tsunami. How will it change our lives?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *naswingdressWoman
23 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

Probably in the way that we all use the metaverse and are totally intertwined in the inevitable Internet of Things.

Most of the coverage at the moment is all breathless hype about what it might one day do in the future.

By *eavilMan
23 weeks ago

Stalybridge

Bloody big chrome plated killing machine with a German accent and an Uzi 9mm.

By *wistntwirlCouple
23 weeks ago

Middle Land

I'd say it's rather more than hype.

By (user no longer on site)
23 weeks ago

"Bloody big chrome plated killing machine with a German accent and an Uzi 9mm."

I thought it was a bald guy in a cowboy outfit carrying a revolver?

By *ot to giggleWoman
23 weeks ago

Coventry

there must be a worry about where it is going when they are trying to limit the way the AI can evolve - its almost like the old sci fi movies coming to life - i watched something on medical and GP's and how AI could help with filling in the GP routine stuff - which made me instantly think of StarTrek and The Doctor - there was an episode where he was practicing his laughing and more physical interactions

By *alandNitaCouple
23 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

I personally think AI is all arse about face, I want technology to do the work whilst I make music... not the other way round

Cal

By *wistntwirlCouple
23 weeks ago

Middle Land

"I personally think AI is all arse about face, I want technology to do the work whilst I make music... not the other way round

Cal"

And paints nice pictures and writes poetry.

By *red333Man
23 weeks ago

Dorchester

I for one buck technology at every turn my phone is the only technology i use, the cameras i can't stand being watched all the time, the trackers following your every move telephone banking following your every move, everytime you do an internet purchase people you don't know following your every move, a purchase you make today may affect something you want to do in 10 years time. I was in that CEX outlet today and a guy was being asked all sorts of questions they wanted his address, his banks 6 digit code etc which he readily gave he was buying a second hand computer ffs why give up them details to buy a computer a second hand one at that. Sorry but its turning into a police state fight back dont give away your details so easily, use cash it gives you freedom

By *esthetic21Man
23 weeks ago

Birmingham/Bristol

It's gonna affect alot of people's careers

By *esthetic21Man
23 weeks ago

Birmingham/Bristol

Definitely put alot of people out of work

By *alandNitaCouple
23 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

"I for one buck technology at every turn my phone is the only technology i use, the cameras i can't stand being watched all the time, the trackers following your every move telephone banking following your every move, everytime you do an internet purchase people you don't know following your every move, a purchase you make today may affect something you want to do in 10 years time. I was in that CEX outlet today and a guy was being asked all sorts of questions they wanted his address, his banks 6 digit code etc which he readily gave he was buying a second hand computer ffs why give up them details to buy a computer a second hand one at that. Sorry but its turning into a police state fight back dont give away your details so easily, use cash it gives you freedom "

I've never been asked for any personal details when buying anything from CEX, or anywhere else. I usually just give them som cash and take my stuff... maybe he was buying on credit?

By *alandNitaCouple
23 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

"Definitely put alot of people out of work"

To be fair, they've been saying that about technology for decades. Robots replace manual work, but there's always a new job that needs doing instead

By *ackformore100Man
23 weeks ago

Tin town

"I was listening to a podcast today and Stephen Fry was on saying about how AI is going to utterly, utterly change our world.

He likened public awareness of the effects like sitting on a beach with your back to the incoming tsunami totally unaware of the upheaval to come.

I’ll be honest, I don’t have a clue. I have my back to the tsunami. How will it change our lives?"

It won't make it any better that's for sure. We already have too much tech. Man without purpose is just a shell of man

By *ellhungvweMan
23 weeks ago

Cheltenham

"Definitely put alot of people out of work

To be fair, they've been saying that about technology for decades. Robots replace manual work, but there's always a new job that needs doing instead"

100% this. New technology always puts people out of work but ends up creating far more jobs. The issue is that the people who lose their job rarely have the skills to get the new one/s.

By *ripfillMan
23 weeks ago

havant

I think AI is a further dumming down for freedom of individual thought

It will change all of our lives like climate change. Its not now reversible ,

It’s so insidious it will catch us all … for the wrong reasons

By *midnight-Woman
23 weeks ago

I agree with him

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
23 weeks ago

Stockport

If anybody ever does invent any proper artificial intelligence, it might be able to fulfil some of the hype. All the current stuff though is just a glorified way of regurgitating of the contents of the internet, and doesn't know the difference between fact and fiction. It sees a flat earth site as being equally valid as Newton's Principia. On average the internet is full of bollocks, so anything that just blindly swallows the internet is also full of bollocks.

And it gets worse! The internet is now filling up with bollocks created by the current "AI" systems, which is being fed into the next generation of these systems. It's like pumping the shit from sewage plants directly back into the reservoirs - before long all you've got is pure shit going round in circles.

Real AI is not necessarily impossible, but the current stuff is not it, and isn't even a pathway towards it.

By *agnar73Man
23 weeks ago

Glasgow

You guys see the thing with a robotic dog that was armed with a flamethrower this week?

Just has me thinking ‘terminator’ movies

23 weeks ago

I love AI creativity. The art it produces is amazing. The music, not so much. It's ability to mimic is wonderful. It's innovating in a number of spaces like protein folding. And it's come incredible bounds in such a short space of time.

(PS, if you're reading this in the future, I embrace my AI overlords - spare me)

By *ames250122Man
23 weeks ago

Worcester

"I was listening to a podcast today and Stephen Fry was on saying about how AI is going to utterly, utterly change our world.

I’ll be honest, I don’t have a clue. I have my back to the tsunami. How will it change our lives?"

Depends how it eventually comes about and who’s pulling the stings or if it actually in control of its own development. Hard to say for definite as we seem to be such a long way away. No software to date known to the public can properly problem solve and adapt without being given the tools on how to first and even then only in a very specific are it designed to function in. Commercial computers lack even the intelligence of a singular nucleus, more advanced computers and software are not much better compared to the simplest of micro life forms I’d guess in reality. They’re primitive, in design with singular focus in comparison at this stage. It has no awareness etc. it’s just a very detailed and highly developed piece of software, but still like all software. Limited by its code and DB it can source from that’s only working within the code that runs it. It’s dressed up and impressive to see but it’s nothing close to real AI though its touted about as AI with and given far to much open access to world around by the companies that develop it. Even more hilariously, all the companies and CEO’s scare mongering about AI are all the companies that are developing AI lol. They know it’s a game changer, whoever of them that get close to achieving something like real AI, hold the keys to the world and they want to be a the puppet masters pulling the strings so it works in their favour. Like with everything else, those at the top, want to stay there and control rest. That’s how you retain the status quo, rig the game in your favour. It’s already practiced and accepted in society, hence why the 1% own more land and resources then the rest of the world’s population combined or something along those lines if I remember correctly (though could been wrong, not recently fact checked). However a free from influence and properly Independent AI deciding the way for it’s own development and able to decide for itself how it interprets the world around it?! Fuck! That’s a real game changer. The impact and changes that could happen though if it wanted be in involved in our society on a global scale, could be deeply profound, altering our direction as a species forever, pathing a way for the highly socially developed civilisation we only fantasise about. Free of conflict, power struggles, dependence of archaic values and systems. It wouldn’t happen over night but as an example, imagine an AI tasked with ending corporate or political corruption. The AI that is unbiased, doesn’t crave power or perks, can’t be brought or intimidated. Logical and emotionless, following the laws of the land to the letter on ending said corruption regardless of who the perpetrator is what entity they are a part of. That just one example of so many of how it could help restore balance and unrig the game. There so much more as well. I think though, our biggest problem other then control, is is we achieve to soon, then it’s by chance, by accident and in that instance. If we don’t even know how we actually achieved it then how can we even properly appreciate the massive undertaking and responsibility we’ve taken on in helping it take those first steps or what wisdom to share? Course I could also be completely wrong but that’s my general thoughts

By *wistntwirlCouple
23 weeks ago

Middle Land

I don't think people have grasped the rate at which the technology will develop.

Think back to twenty years ago and all that's changed since. AI will ramp that pace up and then some.

By *lueLotusWoman
23 weeks ago

the wilderness

"If anybody ever does invent any proper artificial intelligence, it might be able to fulfil some of the hype. All the current stuff though is just a glorified way of regurgitating of the contents of the internet, and doesn't know the difference between fact and fiction. It sees a flat earth site as being equally valid as Newton's Principia. On average the internet is full of bollocks, so anything that just blindly swallows the internet is also full of bollocks.

And it gets worse! The internet is now filling up with bollocks created by the current "AI" systems, which is being fed into the next generation of these systems. It's like pumping the shit from sewage plants directly back into the reservoirs - before long all you've got is pure shit going round in circles.

Real AI is not necessarily impossible, but the current stuff is not it, and isn't even a pathway towards it. "

I am now officially a polly fan ??

By *ild_oatsMan
23 weeks ago

the land of saints & sinners

I’ve said this before Artificial Intelligence is a misnomer for what is nothing more than machine learning there is no actual intelligence behind it.

Intelligence actually requires conscious and self awareness as artificial consciousness does not exist or even anything close to it. Therefore Artificial Intelligence doesn’t exist.

AI has been picked up by media to paint a picture of either a utopian or dystopian future depending upon bias. The reality is that it is likely to be far more nuanced.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
23 weeks ago

Stockport

"If anybody ever does invent any proper artificial intelligence, it might be able to fulfil some of the hype. All the current stuff though is just a glorified way of regurgitating of the contents of the internet, and doesn't know the difference between fact and fiction. It sees a flat earth site as being equally valid as Newton's Principia. On average the internet is full of bollocks, so anything that just blindly swallows the internet is also full of bollocks.

Real AI is not necessarily impossible, but the current stuff is not it, and isn't even a pathway towards it.

I am now officially a polly fan ??

"

Polly fans of the world unite! Where do I send your fan club membership card?

23 weeks ago

The thing is, tech grows at an exponential rate, this is just my opinion but I believe it's going to affect all of us in our lifetime, some will reap the benefits and others will be ruined by it unfortunately.

Bitcoin and crypto in general was dismissed by the buses masses and was worthless and look at it now. It changed normal people's lives for the better but also screwed a lot of people over.

The ipod when it first came out was dismissed by a lot of people in the industry saying physical media will never be replaced.

A lot of the chat bots people use us ai, there was even some famous rapper in the news the other day because he used ai to create snoop dog and Tupac on a track. I can't remember his name but someone here would of heard about it.

Yeah I tend to agree it's just machine learning and not genuine intelligence, I work as a software developer and I'm not smart but I'm not an idiot, these ai bots know a lot more and can do stuff I do at work a lot quicker than I can.

I seen a post above saying it's just grabbing stuff the internet and spouting it out. That's pretty much what the majority of the population are doing these days, posts on social media are often taken as gospel and shared around with only a few deciding to fact check.

Again, not dismissing anyone's views, these are just mine.

By *alandNitaCouple
23 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

"The thing is, tech grows at an exponential rate, this is just my opinion but I believe it's going to affect all of us in our lifetime, some will reap the benefits and others will be ruined by it unfortunately.

Bitcoin and crypto in general was dismissed by the buses masses and was worthless and look at it now. It changed normal people's lives for the better but also screwed a lot of people over.

The ipod when it first came out was dismissed by a lot of people in the industry saying physical media will never be replaced.

A lot of the chat bots people use us ai, there was even some famous rapper in the news the other day because he used ai to create snoop dog and Tupac on a track. I can't remember his name but someone here would of heard about it.

Yeah I tend to agree it's just machine learning and not genuine intelligence, I work as a software developer and I'm not smart but I'm not an idiot, these ai bots know a lot more and can do stuff I do at work a lot quicker than I can.

I seen a post above saying it's just grabbing stuff the internet and spouting it out. That's pretty much what the majority of the population are doing these days, posts on social media are often taken as gospel and shared around with only a few deciding to fact check.

Again, not dismissing anyone's views, these are just mine."

I'm not sure I agree with a load of this:

- Crypto has had Zero impact on MOST Normal people's lives

- The iPod (2001) was actually late to the Portable Media Player market, but loved by the media and seen as a real boost to a slow growing industry. MP3 Players first went on sale in 1996.

- Most chat bots are not AI, just a bunch of stock answers to basic questions.

My issue personally isn't the growth of new technologies, rather that it should be being used to make the world a better place and not to create fake news and media.

We don't need artists and musicians to be replaced by AI, we need the technology to be taking away the things that mean people don't have time for arts and recreation.

Cal

By *omRPMan
23 weeks ago

North Curry

I use an AI programme at work to assist with written communication. I’m Neurodivergent and dyslexic so don’t always write things in the best way. It helps me and I’m grateful for the tool. I’ve tried just letting it write replies unprompted and it’s not quite there yet. But may that’s because I’m in a niche industry.

It’s been used to help aid historical research too. There’s a university which created a programme to read ancient Mesopotamian cubiform and it is translating text quicker and more accurately. It’s helped them find the oldest version of the ‘Epic of Gilgamesh’ which is their version of Noah’s Flood.

If we use AI to help us it will be great. The issue isn’t AI, the issue is the people with the power to control and develop it. Once again it’s humans who are the damaging factor.

By *icolerobbieCouple
23 weeks ago

walsall

Journalists, writers, musicians and artists will probably be the first jobs to go. Then who knows where it will end.

By *ackformore100Man
23 weeks ago

Tin town

Imagine life stuck in a permanent loop...

*all our operators are busy due to covid, press 1 to leave a message which will not be listened to, press 0 to hear your options again*

By *red333Man
23 weeks ago

Dorchester

"I use an AI programme at work to assist with written communication. I’m Neurodivergent and dyslexic so don’t always write things in the best way. It helps me and I’m grateful for the tool. I’ve tried just letting it write replies unprompted and it’s not quite there yet. But may that’s because I’m in a niche industry.

It’s been used to help aid historical research too. There’s a university which created a programme to read ancient Mesopotamian cubiform and it is translating text quicker and more accurately. It’s helped them find the oldest version of the ‘Epic of Gilgamesh’ which is their version of Noah’s Flood.

If we use AI to help us it will be great. The issue isn’t AI, the issue is the people with the power to control and develop it. Once again it’s humans who are the damaging factor. "

Yes but eventually it will and you'll be out of a job ultimately thats what technology is....... The redundancy of human effort /thought

By *ophieslutTV/TS
23 weeks ago

Central

It's going to be difficult, should a few unregulated corporations determine the fate of society and its people, to a greater extent than they currently do

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
23 weeks ago

Stockport

What we do need is some proper legislation, and enforcement with teeth, surrounding the identification of bots versus human beings. Something like the gdpr, and offending against it gets the site heavily fined and taken offline. A good start would be some specifically worded "are you a bot or human" question that all ai/bot systems were legally required to answer honestly.

Isaac Asimov formulated his famous three laws of robotics over 80 years ago, the AI equivalent is needed. Something like

- a legal requirement to identify itself as non-human

- a legal requirement to show some form of "reliabilty" score

- a legal requirement for users to be able to put black marks against that reliabilty score if the system gives out false information

- some method of legal censure up to and including code erasure and site removal from internet, plus heavy fines, for AI systems deemed to be performing incorrectly or with malicious programming.

By *atnip make me purrWoman
23 weeks ago

Reading

All hail our robotic overlords.

By *entBarryUKMan
23 weeks ago

Ashford

A lot of jobs are already replaced by AI. Customer service chat bots for example. Soon it will be small admin changes, Receptionists, information departments, customer service reps, then the big one for me is designers and photoshop retouching experts. We will be out of a job in 5 years

By *aters139Man
23 weeks ago

Sheffield

The big think I know is how it makes coding so much more accessible.

Now it's less about knowing how to write it all, it's more about knowing the steps needed to obtain the output you are after.

This I think will lead to a big explosion in the capabilities of systems and tech, especially and AI can work without bias and detect\suggest things that may not have ever occured to a human.

It's already starting to be seen in using ai to detect possible cancer in images.

Post new Message to Thread