Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Taking in packages for neighbours?

Jump to newest

By *endalshaggers OP   Couple
23 weeks ago

Kendal

Literally - not figuratively as some of you dirty minds will think!

Do you take packages from the postman/couriers for your neighbour when they're not in? Do you take it round/leave it for them in a convenient place or wait for them to come retrieve?

Been a bit of a barny in our small house-converted-into flats this morning as an upstairs neighbour refused to take in a package. I usually accept and leave them on the "communal post table" in the hallway, I'm not charitable enough to go upstairs and leave it by the door.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *lowupdollTV/TS
23 weeks ago

Herts

I do. And my neighbours do mine.

By *ovetosuck30Man
23 weeks ago

Rossendale

Always have done and they do the same

Leave them in the hall and knock on their door later

If no answer I'll wait till they call for it

If they don't call (maybe didn't get a card saying where their package was left) I'll knock on again.

It's the right thing to do

Your neighbour refusing sounds like a dick

By *mthatoneMan
23 weeks ago

Somewhere

"Always have done and they do the same

Leave them in the hall and knock on their door later

If no answer I'll wait till they call for it

If they don't call (maybe didn't get a card saying where their package was left) I'll knock on again.

It's the right thing to do

Your neighbour refusing sounds like a dick"

Depends if the person that is expecting the parcel is a bigger dick!

By *enk15Man
23 weeks ago

Bidford On Avon

Yep. I'm not pissing off my neighbours, I enjoy the peaceful life.

By (user no longer on site)
23 weeks ago

I do and wait for them to get home

23 weeks ago

Yes take them in always, wait for them to knock or if theres a safe space leave there or knock myself when I think they may be home.

Common courtesy.

By *ot to giggleWoman
23 weeks ago

Coventry

i work from home normally and it really annoys me when i constantly get a banging on the door - more often than not during a teams meeting and the deliver driver says 'will you take a parcel for' .. I seem to take for half the street and the woman over the road always orders on next day delivery and is never at home - wtf.

then you get the constant banging on the door from 3 from said neighbours - have you got my parcel - and then they want to chat - me - open door throw parcel at them slam door shut

By *endalshaggers OP   Couple
23 weeks ago

Kendal

"i work from home normally and it really annoys me when i constantly get a banging on the door - more often than not during a teams meeting and the deliver driver says 'will you take a parcel for' .. I seem to take for half the street and the woman over the road always orders on next day delivery and is never at home - wtf.

then you get the constant banging on the door from 3 from said neighbours - have you got my parcel - and then they want to chat - me - open door throw parcel at them slam door shut "

Yep, same here on a Monday and Friday. Neighbours know I'm about and always leave little notes on the door for the postman "press buzzer for X, he'll take it" - usually without asking and they always turn up when you're in a meeting, busy or in the toilet.

Upstairs neighbour is fine, he's not a dick at all. Guess he just CBA coming all the way down for a package lol.

By *eard and BoobsCouple
23 weeks ago

Portstewart

If its something there waiting on and we happen to be around we will certainly take it on there behalf

23 weeks ago

We do half the streets and half the street does ours

23 weeks ago

Depends which neighbour.

By *akedMMan
23 weeks ago

Witney

Yep I do

By *andyfloss2000Woman
23 weeks ago

ashford

Don't get asked since covid! Allways used to though! X

By *ANDA!Man
23 weeks ago

DUMFRIES

"Depends which neighbour. "

This. If it's the psycho on the corner....absolutely not. everyone else...absolutely

23 weeks ago

"Depends which neighbour. "

Helen Daniels?

By *naswingdressWoman
23 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

The couriers hit all the buttons on the intercom until someone picks up. I tell them to leave it in the (locked) communal hallway and buzz them in. If I happen to see one outside the hallway, I'll pick it up and bring it in the hallway. If the flat door isn't out of my way, I might put it on their doormat.

By *lderflowerappleWoman
23 weeks ago

Basingstoke

Depends on the neighbour to be honest. One neighbour took over a week to pick up a huge parcel that was blocking my hall way, and similarly has taken in a parcel for me as they were going on holiday for 10 days, so I couldn't actually pick it up from them.

But generally I don't mind as long as it doesn't become too frequent or they start to rely on my good nature.

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple
23 weeks ago

Leeds

I do, I'll pop it round if I'm not doing anything & notice their home or I'll wait for them to get it, I wouldn't turn them away with the parcel though - redelivery can be a nightmare.

Mrs

By *ophieslutTV/TS
23 weeks ago

Central

Yes. We get on, so it's nothing but fine. And you get to meet in the darker winter days, when little time is spent outside

By *inxy777Woman
23 weeks ago

essex

Constantly having to sign for next doors parcel, the postman even commented the other day, another one!!

By *tsJustKateWoman
23 weeks ago

London

The neighbours I like only!

By *jr9876Man
23 weeks ago

Ipswich

I do for my neighbours. They do for me.

When I bring my wheely bin in I'll often put my neighbours' bins in through their gate to get it off the pavement so it's no longer in the way for pushchairs etc.

By *parkle1974Woman
23 weeks ago

Leeds

I'm never in to do so

By *weet and SpiceCouple
23 weeks ago

Around the Midlands

"Yes take them in always, wait for them to knock or if theres a safe space leave there or knock myself when I think they may be home.

Common courtesy. "

Exactly this apart from leaving it in a safe space

By *agnar73Man
23 weeks ago

Glasgow

I prefer not to, but do it if they come to the door.

For my own stuff I’d rather it was hidden/safe space than given to someone else though.

By *herrybakewellCouple
23 weeks ago

Staffordshire

For the majority in the street yes we would.

One neighbour is an absolute cock womble....so we won't for them.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
23 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

I do but I don't like it

By *arkus1812Man
23 weeks ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

"I do but I don't like it"

Why are you pissing on my favourite Rock group?

By *dward_TeagueMan
23 weeks ago

wolverhampton

I do for some neighbours but not for one in particular who stole two deliveries and then denied it when challenged.

One of the courier apps lets you log which houses not to deliver to and I always hope that the retailers use them!

By *red333Man
23 weeks ago

Dorchester

One of my neighbours took a delivered carpet that was left by the delivery people nowhere near where we lived with the photograph sent, never got the carpet and the carpet wholesaler wasn't interested in talking to me lol £100 down the pan

By *ealitybitesMan
23 weeks ago

Belfast

Someone who lives half a mile from me but wth the same house number and similar address insisted for years that my address was theirs. (Street instead of avenue)

I used to get parcels, taxis calling at unearthly hours, takeaway deliveries and on a couple of occasions the police, all because they kept giving the wrong address.

I contacted Royal mail but they refused to do anything about it. Local postmen were fine and knew by the name which address to deliver to but none of the couriers had that knowledge.

It got to a stage where I stopped taking their stuff round to them and just left it on the street outside my house.

I dropped a note in a few times telling them it was there but because it kept happening I stopped doing that.

They started to call looking for stuff that had genuinely never been delivered to my address and were almost accusing me of taking their goods.

They eventually changed their address to the correct one when warned by the police over using a false address.

On the one occasion where a courier delivered something of mine to their address they signed for it and rather than take it in told him to leave it at their gate.

It was an £800 computer and sat on the side of a main road for 2 hours while I had taken the day off work to be there for the delivery and only became aware of what had happened when the delivery window passed.

Closer neighbours all take in parcels when possible but as there are very few houses in the area with someone in them during the day it doesn't happen very often anymore.

By *ot to giggleWoman
23 weeks ago

Coventry

"For the majority in the street yes we would.

One neighbour is an absolute cock womble....so we won't for them. "

Oh you got cock wombles in your street to we got a few of them

By *hinstrapMan
23 weeks ago

Barnsley

I don't mind taking them for neighbours as I'd expect them to do the same. But there has been one or two go missing which was left at other houses. Which opens that,kettle of fish....

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
23 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

I’m not about during delivery hours so have anything of mine delivered to a different address where I have an arrangement for that.

I don’t have neighbours as such so don’t get other peoples deliveries left with me, only if they have been left at the wrong address cos the delivery person can’t read. There is no excuse for going by the postcode either as my property does not share a postcode with any other.

23 weeks ago

We do. I’ll watch out for them getting home and take it over.

They do the same for us.

By *sleWightCoupleCouple
23 weeks ago

Ryde

We've had stuff left by posties and couriers because the other person was out at the time, where they've had the sense to come and ask us rather than leaving a package out in the open, which we're happy to do. OK, we really dislike a couple of our neighbours, but not enough to play footie with a package they're awaiting.

We've also had stuff (RM and couriers) which have been left on our doorstep by mistake, some even being a few streets away, let alone a few doors down.

We always drop them off to their correct addresses after business hours, to the combination of mild confusion, relief and gratitude of a neighbour, where they'll usually include words to the effect of:

"They couldn't find their arse using both their hands..."

By *ucka39Man
23 weeks ago

Newcastle

I take in all my local residents deliveries if I can even up to the next street if passing and he's there and they aren't in as I'm a good soul

I know most of the delivery guys

As for mine

I make sure I'm in

23 weeks ago

I don’t particularly enjoy it but for some

I will.

My neighbour is an arse, well one of them and the other is the complete opposite.

The arse neighbour, I said to his wife, “ would you be willing to sell me you house”

We ain’t spoken since

By *sleWightCoupleCouple
23 weeks ago

Ryde

"I know most of the delivery guys "

You get good ones, and you get those who really hate their jobs, and are less than professional. The only real trouble we've had with RM is when they had some temps working this last Christmas, and some right little cow (I would have put her at about 17) tried to ram a package through the mail-slot, even though it was way too big, damaging it in doing so. I opened the door as she was doing so, and just copped a load of really nasty abuse from her. I put in an official complaint, but just got a generic reply back, with no apology at all.

Evri (formerly My Hermes) have the worst of reputations, and we've all seen the footage of drivers thrown packages over fences, kicking them around, etc. But my local Evri driver (Jim) is a bloody saint! We ask him to discretely/quietly leave the packages in the back garden in a pre-agreed spot, and he does exactly that, every time. In fact, the man is like a goddamn ninja, and if it's raining, he'll put the packages in a plastic bag to stop them getting wet! We leave ice-cold cans of Coke out for him in the blazing weather, and chocolate in the colder months to show our appreciation.

Not bribery, just appreciation.

Post new Message to Thread