FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

I bet im going to be slated for saying this.......

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Or shot down for saying it, but bring it on...

I see this statement regularly on the forums. Do people expect their _iewpoint to be disagreed with. Do they expect disapproval from some posters. Does putting this statement on a post somehow make the poster appear braver, is it enticing disagreement, is it fighting talk.

We should all know that our opinions will not be universally agreed with. In fact a thread with a variety of different opinions is far more interesting than everyone agreeing. But is disagreement seen as a personal slight and by placing this statement on the end of the post a way of perhaps warding off those perceived negative comments

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Bastard!!!!!!!!

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

enticing disagreement and leaking pee with excitement when it starts.......

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I dont expect people to agree with me, what i do is type my point across, it would be funny if we all thought the same. What i dont like is when people get personal because someone doesnt agree with them. There are some interesting threads with people putting different ideas over, then there are those that just turn into a massive slanging match

over a year ago

I dunno I talk to much sense for them to notice

over a year ago

"Bastard!!!!!!!! "

Bloody!!

over a year ago

Difference of opinion is good and I love a good debate, yes there are those on here who try to provoke a reaction etc and what fisty cuffs

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

I bet im going to be slated for saying this.......BUT im going to say what noone else has that balls or the backbone to say with regards to this thread.....

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I think that people do expect to be disagreed with in a slightly sarcastic or holier than thou way. Real good debate and disagreement can be carried out without resorting to and patronising comments but those that do resort to those tactics are usually not going to want proper debate anyway.

over a year ago

I prefer people to disagree with my opinion sometimes, because i am not always right and it makes me ponder and think.

It's good to disagree, put forth my opinion have that discussed. Then also read and discuss other opinions...

Always good to debate

over a year ago

To be honest if folk do not agree with or like my opinions i cannot do owt about it and do not stress about it.

If i do not like or agree with anothers post then again as long as its not nasty or too personal i let it wash over me.

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

Think some are missing the point of the OP's question.....

Why do people say "Im going to be slated for saying this"............??

over a year ago

"I bet im going to be slated for saying this.......BUT im going to say what noone else has that balls or the backbone to say with regards to this thread.....

"

There's always one here to cause trouble

over a year ago

its as bad as when someone says something and then says "no offence" ............ of course it was offensive ....... u got that and thought u could wiggle out of it by saying no offence .............. grrrrrrrrr

By *mm_n_ZedCouple
over a year ago

Fareham

In a forum setting such as this, there's nothing quite a good mass debate

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

when do people feel they are getting slated. Is it at the point of the first differing opinion, or if many people disagree, or do they feel slated at the nasty, more personal remarks that are a part of a forum

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

"when do people feel they are getting slated. Is it at the point of the first differing opinion, or if many people disagree, or do they feel slated at the nasty, more personal remarks that are a part of a forum "

I dont think ive ever felt slated on here, if i did i guess it would be if people started making personal attacks rather than debating the thing that we disagree on. Mind you im so thick skinned doubt id notice llol

over a year ago

"when do people feel they are getting slated. Is it at the point of the first differing opinion, or if many people disagree, or do they feel slated at the nasty, more personal remarks that are a part of a forum "

When people get a bit personal in a not joking manner then I don't like it, there's a joke then there's really taking the piss to get a reaction and hurting someone's feelings, remember we all having feelings x

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"

I dont think ive ever felt slated on here, if i did i guess it would be if people started making personal attacks rather than debating the thing that we disagree on. l"

I think the same... Maybe a few years ago, I disagreed with someone on a thread, led to some silly games but hey

and some forum shadowing taking a pop, but again

and if I am honest, I ain't without sin

over a year ago

I dont mind disagreement or debate. This is a forum. But personal and nasty comments aren't called for. So yes, there are times when I have used the phrase, or similar, to try and pre empt people from jumping on the smallest thing I've said, rather than looking at the whole comment made.

over a year ago

"its as bad as when someone says something and then says "no offence" ............ of course it was offensive ....... u got that and thought u could wiggle out of it by saying no offence .............. grrrrrrrrr "

The one that really boils my piss is 'with respect' cos it's usually followed by a message with absolutely no respect at all!

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I have posted one thread that really was a heat of the moment thread and I was not slated but people formed a different opinion when things were said... I am one to stay and stand my ground and listen to feedback its part of learning I guess.

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

"I bet im going to be slated for saying this.......BUT im going to say what noone else has that balls or the backbone to say with regards to this thread.....

There's always one here to cause trouble "

There's your answer.....

People start posts with "im going to be slated...." becase they know they will be accused of making trouble...

Not afraid of being accused, but know they will be.....

over a year ago

I think when a person resorts to personal insult throwing then their opinion becomes void. It's sad to see that some can't maintain dignity when in a discussion. Say's more about them, than it does the person the insults are thrown at!

It just easier to agree to disagree, and ponder over all opinions later.

over a year ago

people have differences of opinion, it would be boring if people didn't. It becomes tedious when people veer away from a discussion to make personal comments. usually along the lines of "if you don't agree with me you must be ignorant" it's usually followed by fingers placed in ears and "la la la I'm not listening"

It eventually bores the fuck out of me

over a year ago

It's the 'head above the parapet' syndrome, isn't it?

I know I've done it in the past - couldn't give a stuff now that I know what will provoke you lot to sling rocks at me! Lol!

To me there are two reasons people use that, or a similar expression: firstly, they KNOW what what they are saying is contentious and KNOW exactly the reaction they are going to get, or are wanting to get - and there have been countless examples of such threads on here since the New Year (seems to have been a bit of a trend).

The second is a genuinely feeling of, almost, intimidation. Someone has something they want to say, for genuine reasons, and are nervous of the response/reaction of others. That can be due to a whole host of reasons, many of which are long-standing and are part of the persons real personality.

Whatever the reason, forums are about discussion and argument (not a slanging match!) and some are more confident with making, and taking on board, argument or challenges to their _iew point. Some are not. That's life unfortunately....

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

any personal insults are usually very quickly dealt with by the mods and appropriate bans issued...

over a year ago

""if you don't agree with me you must be ignorant" "

We all know a thread about that today, don't we children...?

Bores the fuck out of me too...

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

If people are easily offended, this isnt the place for them.....

over a year ago

We live in a democratic society which entitles us all to an opinion. As long as it is a genuine opinion and not a personal dig at anyone it's a good thing. Sometimes we all get wrapped up in ourselves and only see things from our own perspective. Opinions make you realise that there are other ways to see things.

over a year ago

What annoys me is the group band wagon, one person disagrees and then suddenly it will go one way or the other.

Eg people will stick up for a regular or more known poster if it starts to get personal or to get a rise people will side with the OP whether they agree with them or not.

Everyone should be entitled to their own opinion and have the freedom to express it in a non derogatory way within forum rules.

over a year ago

I try to critique the post not the person if i disagree. But im a person so have had my forum ban before. I think discussion is healthy but I use, from mpov or imo way more now

over a year ago

Heated discussions are good bring them on. It's when they get personal that winds me up. To me if you have to start getting personal then you have lost the arguement already.

Post new Message to Thread