Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Shaving and Bathing

Jump to newest

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Crawley

Would like to hear what products the gents here use or what are your favourites. Including colognes etc please. And ladies, are there products that men use that you like on them?

I'm going to start with aftershave balms.

They do one in the bodyshop, I'm using this one at the moment. Have to say it's pretty damn good, quite strong so just a little of this required.

My favourite would be Extract of West Indian Limes Skin Food by Geo. F. Trumpers. It's so satisfying when you put it on. When your missus finds out how good this is she will want to put it all over her body so hide this one well I mean it.

My recommendation for a reasonably priced balm would be the Olay one. You could use this till the end of time it really is good.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ex LutherMan
4 weeks ago

Closer than you think

Good morning, I love to try to smell distinctive and I love Creed as for grooming products I found a company called Brickell that make great products for men

By *ustPeteMan
4 weeks ago

Harrogate

"Good morning, I love to try to smell distinctive and I love Creed as for grooming products I found a company called Brickell that make great products for men "

It's made from bits of real Luther, so you know it's good.

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Crawley

Brickell looks really good, god I'm tempted already.

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Crawley

"Good morning, I love to try to smell distinctive and I love Creed as for grooming products I found a company called Brickell that make great products for men "

Morning. Couldn't help myself and just ordered a 4oz bottle (scented) of the Aftershave relief.

Great looking site and products.

By *rRogersTelfordMan
4 weeks ago

Telford

I’m a bit boring in that I wear Sauvage or Hugo Boss. However I did like the smell of Burberry “Hero”, which my daughter delightfully describes as “Smell like Kylo Ren” due to the poster.

Shaving products is something I’ve never looked into and should really. Will look up some of the suggestions in this thread!

By *ex LutherMan
4 weeks ago

Closer than you think

"Good morning, I love to try to smell distinctive and I love Creed as for grooming products I found a company called Brickell that make great products for men

Morning. Couldn't help myself and just ordered a 4oz bottle (scented) of the Aftershave relief.

Great looking site and products."

They regularly have offers on and it’s also sold on Amazon

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Crawley

"They regularly have offers on and it’s also sold on Amazon "

I just jumped in at the site of that bottle and paid £7.50 p&p. Will definitely check them out on Amazon next time.

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Crawley

I've smelt Hugo Boss fragrance a couple of times, it smells lovely.

I've never actually smelt a cologne that wasn't alright except Rum based ones- I'm not a fan of those.

I have one by Chanel the Allure Homme, very decent. Just behind and below your ears is what's called the hotspot. Just one little spray of this each side is all that's needed with this.

One bottle still going just is Extract of West Indian Limes by Trumpers. The smell reminds me of lemonade but I'm doing it a disservice by saying that. It's absolutely gorgeous.

Others I won't mention except one that's probably the all time favourite, Florida Water. You'd struggle to find anything this cheap that's anywhere near as good.

Half litre bottles for like a tenner a piece. Very Limey, it doesn't last long I slap this stuff all over my chest and arms like body wash.

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Crawley

Bath Soap: I use bath soap from Taylor of Old Bond Street, when I run out of that I use a body wash. Taylors are the oldest barbershop that's still open in London, since 1825. They make their own products.

They have 3 or 4 soaps, probably the best one is the Sandalwood. With a good soap holder this soap isn't going to waste away on the side. A heavenly smell especially the Sandalwood, great shape for all over the body and a really large man size soap.

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Crawley

Body Shaving: I used to use a gel on the body but the one I liked stopped being produced so I moved to Baby Oil. It's as good as anything I've ever used and by far the most affordable.

It will clog up your razor pretty quick so you'll be constantly clearing it but it's worth the bother (at that price).

Once shaved always finish with a cold water wash of course. Once dry I apply an ingrowing hair solution to that area that always produces a rash, using a cotton pad.

DO NOT put this stuff on your ball bag because it burns like hell.

I'm using the Gillette Sensitive razor at the moment.

By *ot to giggleWoman
4 weeks ago

Coventry

think you all need the sniff test

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Crawley

Shaving Cream: I find creams the best, second to that a good shaving soap but that's harder work.

If I have neither those on the go then I have practically a lifetimes supply of shaving sticks. Before I had those I would use the squirty gel by Gillette, that stuffs great but I do find it a little messy.

The rule with shaving cream is that it must have Coconut Fat in it. Your posh London Barber Shops (Taylors and Trumpers) do wonderful creams. Lavender, Lime, Coconut, Sandalwood, lots of lovely scents. The big shoutout goes to the bodyshops one they do. You can laver this stuff up till it looks like a Mr. Whippy ice cream in your bowl. It's in Maca Root and Aloe, the smells aren't quite there but this stuffs excellent.

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Crawley

Deodorant: Yes Taylor of Old Bond Street do the best deodorant that I can find (Sandalwood) but it is pricey and I'm always looking for something else good.

Last one I bought was a Lynx because my friend put it on and I was like bloody hell that's strong, think I've still got that here somewhere.

Few years back I was getting Ted Baker ones from Boots, they were good too and they do a body spray.

I need ideas with the deodorant though because I don't mind having lot's of these.

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Crawley

Used a body wash in the bath last night, Dr. Organic Hemp Oil body wash. Really cheap this stuff but all hemp products are great on the skin.

Hair: Of course your posh London barbers do great shampoo and conditioner and I use them but jeez the bottles are small so they are used but I don't constantly replenish these stocks.

American Crew stuff is really good, been using it probably for the last six months. They do an every day shampoo and conditioner.

The body wash is one of the best IMHO.

By *eroLondonMan
4 weeks ago

Mayfair

I use Boldking™ for my razors as I find them exceptionally forgiving for my sensitive face. I apply a thin layer of King Of Shaves shave oil and then an unscented/neutral shaving cream on top - either Clinique or Kiehl's.

Again, for my dry/sensitive skin I shower with The Ordinary™ hair and body cleanser.

I don't use scented after shave balm, instead I apply either (or both) The Ordinary™ oil serum or a Kiehl's moisturiser.

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Crawley

"I use Boldking™ for my razors as I find them exceptionally forgiving for my sensitive face. I apply a thin layer of King Of Shaves shave oil and then an unscented/neutral shaving cream on top - either Clinique or Kiehl's.

Again, for my dry/sensitive skin I shower with The Ordinary™ hair and body cleanser.

I don't use scented after shave balm, instead I apply either (or both) The Ordinary™ oil serum or a Kiehl's moisturiser."

Sounds like a very good system. I didn't know Clinique did a shaving cream, I will be checking out all the products you mention.

Non scented balms seem to be lightweight (in a good way), last year I bought the Liz Earle one, it's so kind that it can be applied to the rest of the face as well.

By *pthemanorMan
4 weeks ago

ABINGDON

I go in dry with a rusty old Gillette - puts hairs on yer chest and tears in yer eyes....

By *M60Couple
4 weeks ago

Central Scotland

For shaving i use a shaving bowl from Arran Aromatics and a low PH soap ( currently using Raspberry Cranachan ) from Scottish Soaps, My main colognes are either Tom Ford Mandrino Di Amalfi or Oud Wood.

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Crawley

"For shaving i use a shaving bowl from Arran Aromatics and a low PH soap ( currently using Raspberry Cranachan ) from Scottish Soaps, My main colognes are either Tom Ford Mandrino Di Amalfi or Oud Wood."

Very impressive. Raspberry Cranachan sounds amazing. I have two plain Raspberry bars in my basket at S/Soaps. Not looked yet but I'm hoping they have something in Strawberry.

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Crawley

"I go in dry with a rusty old Gillette - puts hairs on yer chest and tears in yer eyes...."

I had a shave without using warm water once, it was a bloody nightmare.

By *arriedcoupleNECouple
4 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

I'm a big fan of the Saponificio Varesino range.

Really good shaving and bath soaps, they smell great (my favourite is Tundra Artica),give good results and last ages. Their aftershaves are halfway between a traditional liquid and a balm. They also have colognes for some scents.

Scottish Fine Soaps do a nice range of bath soaps.

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Crawley

"I'm a big fan of the Saponificio Varesino range.

Really good shaving and bath soaps, they smell great (my favourite is Tundra Artica),give good results and last ages. Their aftershaves are halfway between a traditional liquid and a balm. They also have colognes for some scents.

Scottish Fine Soaps do a nice range of bath soaps. "

Very nice. I'd forgotten about balm type aftershaves, I saw a barber one time apply it to a customer using a brush. Very hygienic I thought. Better than when I used to shave my dad, I'd put some product on my hands and give him two (fairly) light slaps just under his ears, he hated it.

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Crawley

I got the two bars of soap and a Mandarin lip balm from Highland Soap Co.

They have a whisky and honey lip balm. Only the Scottish.

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Crawley

I might have confused some of the terminology here.

Thanks that's all.

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Crawley

"I use Boldking™ for my razors..."

The Boldking looks really good and looks good as a body shaving razor.

I just ordered the sensitive and the extra sensitive ones, no extra blades, thought I'd try them out first.

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Crawley

The Brickell instant relief Aftershave balm just arrived, Lovely little bottle feels great in the hand and smells familiar like something from American Crew so I think it has tea tree oil in it.

The email they sent me the other day was all in foreign, perhaps French.

By *ex LutherMan
4 weeks ago

Closer than you think

"The Brickell instant relief Aftershave balm just arrived, Lovely little bottle feels great in the hand and smells familiar like something from American Crew so I think it has tea tree oil in it.

The email they sent me the other day was all in foreign, perhaps French.

"

That’s odd as I think they’re an American company - they also do women’s stuff but it’s not currently available in the UK called Eight Saints

By *ex LutherMan
4 weeks ago

Closer than you think

I love all their products, they sell a sample set for £5 which is perfect for travelling

By *etal and KinkMan
4 weeks ago

Malice

Bulldog original moisturiser is the best I've found. I don't like scents so there's no fragrance. It's not oily and despite the small size bottle it lasts a decent amount of time.

By *eroLondonMan
4 weeks ago

Mayfair

"I use Boldking™ for my razors...

·

The Boldking looks really good and looks good as a body shaving razor.

I just ordered the sensitive and the extra sensitive ones, no extra blades, thought I'd try them out first."

Brilliant! I hope they suit you perfectly.

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Crawley

"That’s odd as I think they’re an American company - they also do women’s stuff but it’s not currently available in the UK called Eight Saints "

My mistake, it was an email from Boldking. This is from the top I copied and pasted.

Boldking

BESTEL #33608

Je bestelling is onderweg

Je bestelling is onderweg. Volg je verzending om de bezorgingsstatus te zien.

By *ustAnotherMan
4 weeks ago

Staffs

I used bulldog products for after shave balm (for the beard I don't keep!) and I like mood LDN white oud for fragrance, or amber oud

By *eroLondonMan
4 weeks ago

Mayfair

"That’s odd as I think they’re an American company - they also do women’s stuff but it’s not currently available in the UK called Eight Saints

My mistake, it was an email from Boldking. This is from the top I copied and pasted.

Boldking

BESTEL #33608

Je bestelling is onderweg

Je bestelling is onderweg. Volg je verzending om de bezorgingsstatus te zien."

My Boldking™ razors are shipped from the Netherlands and all comms' from them, in whatever shape or form, are in English.

By *atnip make me purrWoman
4 weeks ago

Reading

Love eternity for men.

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Crawley

"Love eternity for men. "

I recognised the bottle straight away, I had a tiny wee miniature bottle of this a few years back. Very very nice.

By *heelerMan
4 weeks ago

Northants

Sauvage Dior for me think most females like the smell

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Crawley

[Removed by poster at 27/04/24 18:18:31]

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Crawley

I've definitely seen Bulldog stuff in the shaving aisle, my kid brother swears by it.

Thanks for sharing you favourite smells gentlemen, I will be checking them all out. Sure I've seen that Dior bottle at my Superdrug's, they'll let you test anything in there.

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Crawley

"

My Boldking™ razors are shipped from the Netherlands and all comms' from them, in whatever shape or form, are in English. "

I'll assume that the emailI got is written in Dutch then. I was going to private mail you the tracking link just for fun but I couldn't actually transfer it sufficiently.

Don't know why but I found it a little amusing with the picture of the little truck and then all the Dutch.

Quite ridiculous how easily I'm amused.

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Crawley

"I used bulldog products for after shave balm (for the beard I don't keep!) and I like mood LDN white oud for fragrance, or amber oud"

Just admiring the look of the 771 bottle in amber out. Exactly like the bottles used by my favourite barbers shop.

By *igglesssMan
4 weeks ago

bradford

I love phantom, smells divine.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
4 weeks ago

Hastings

Harry to shave with

L'Oréal Men Expert as a balm

Love Armani Code,or Terre dHermés

By *weet Lisa OP   TV/TS
3 weeks ago

Crawley

The Highland Soap Co. order arrived 3no. Scottish Raspberry soap bars. Off square and great size in the hand., really perfect on both those feels great all the way round.

I opened the top of one and it smells so fantastic, great colour with light through it as well. For a hand soap cut bar this will probably be the best one I've ever bought, not used it yet but lip balm, wow.

1no. lip balm in Mandarin, it's very wide, the glide and the coverage I've not had anything or felt anything a fraction of this, the coating the hit of mandarin hands down ten out of ten on this lip balm. Great size and in the hand looks amazing it's push up. Stunning. Love the lid and barcode is best they can and small on the bottom. That is the best gentleman's product I've bought in a long time. Thanks CM60 for sharing this:

"For shaving i use a shaving bowl from Arran Aromatics and a low PH soap ( currently using Raspberry Cranachan ) from Scottish Soaps, My main colognes are either Tom Ford Mandrino Di Amalfi or Oud Wood."

Okay had another look and I've shopped from a different place to the place posted about. Scottish soaps looks really good, makes me fancy their bath salts.

Post new Message to Thread