Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Manners maketh the man

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
23 weeks ago

A question…

To give you some context, I often get referred to as being a gent etc etc and it got me thinking. For myself that’s just good manners but I keep getting told it might be the norm for you but it’s not the norm norm ( you get what I mean)

If manners maketh the man, what manner or mannerism stand out to you most?

Answers on a post card !

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *BWLOVER1965Man
23 weeks ago

My Own Little World

Been Respectful

Reading profiles

By *iss.ddWoman
23 weeks ago

Leeds + Newcastle

Manners are the only free thing left today that we all have access to!!

By *illy IdolMan
23 weeks ago

Midlands

If you want to spank their arse, you add please and never just assume it's okay to go ahead

23 weeks ago

"If you want to spank their arse, you add please and never just assume it's okay to go ahead "

Hahaha, I’m going to write that pearl of wisdom down!

By *illy IdolMan
23 weeks ago

Midlands

"If you want to spank their arse, you add please and never just assume it's okay to go ahead

Hahaha, I’m going to write that pearl of wisdom down! "

By *uri00620Woman
23 weeks ago

Croydon

Just to be a pedant it's also 'manners maketh man'.

The ONLY reason I know is when I heard Colin Firth say it in Kingsman, so I looked it up bc I've only heard it with the added 'the'. The correct idiom usage is without.

I doff my hat to this rather high-brow educational source

23 weeks ago

"Just to be a pedant it's also 'manners maketh man'.

The ONLY reason I know is when I heard Colin Firth say it in Kingsman, so I looked it up bc I've only heard it with the added 'the'. The correct idiom usage is without.

I doff my hat to this rather high-brow educational source "

Well I shall file that nugget and adjust myself accordingly

Clearly should be kept indoors and away from people haha

By *ubikslongswordMan
23 weeks ago

East Grinstead

"Manners are the only free thing left today that we all have access to!!

"

Yet very few people use them

By *hristopherd999Man
23 weeks ago

Brentwood

Kids today don't get taught to have respect and manners

By *andT2023Couple
23 weeks ago

in the middle

We live in a self indulgent world where most are out for themselves and what they can get from a situation.

Manners indicate a level of care and respect for someone else ...care over their wants /needs.rare commodity these days

Tx

By *parkle1974Woman
23 weeks ago

Leeds

Saying please and thank you never hurts x

By (user no longer on site)
23 weeks ago

Manners are a given in my world, doesn't take much to say please and thank you. I think the biggest show of character these days is the ability to do things for others with the knowledge you won't get a thank you or gratitude, but doing it anyway.

By *avinaTVTV/TS
23 weeks ago

Transsexual Transylvania

"Kids today don't get taught to have respect and manners"

This old chestnut. When I was a kid (over 40 years ago) you'd hear adults complain about exactly the same thing. My daughter is now in her early 20s; over the course of her primary and secondary schooling, and even into her university career, my impression of most of her peers was that you got ill-mannered ones (usually, but not exclusively, with ill-mannered parents), but most were perfectly respectful and well-mannered towards others.

Give it 10 -15 years; a good number of them will be complaining about how "the kids of today" (circa 2040) don't get taught respect and manners.

By *eroLondonMan
23 weeks ago

Mayfair

Bumping this for the good manners and the bad åpples.

By *obilebottomMan
23 weeks ago

All over

Sadly in short supply these days and don't mean just here.

By *J the bullMan
23 weeks ago

Washington

Please Thankyou Respect always..

Along with communication consent what else is there

By *naswingdressWoman
23 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

The manners that stand out to me the most are the ones that aren't stereotypical and performative.

There's an old story where a man was invited to a banquet with the king and his nobles. He did not have the money for a full dress shirt, and so used a front that looked like a dress shirt.

It was custom that you took off your dress jacket when the king did. The king took his jacket off. Through embarrassment, this man did too, revealing his naked back and his poverty.

The king then took his shirt off so all would be shirtless at the table and this man would not continue to be humiliated.

That's manners. Not "I always open the door for a laydee" and other performative self-congratulatory bullshit.

By *teph BitchTV/TS
23 weeks ago

Manchester

Respectful and treating people how you would hope they would treat you

By *ot to giggleWoman
23 weeks ago

Coventry

anyone mentions manners and my Kid's immediate comment 'good manners never killed anyone' - maybe i have brain washed her a bit with that one!!!

But it's true! where is the harm in thanking someone who moves to the side to let you pass or holds a door for you. Or passes you something or acknowledges your existence in the queue.

Think its skipped a generation and now becoming extinct - and of course all the data and media usage, no need for it apparently - sad state of affairs because I feel that with manner comes respect.

rant over

By *J the bullMan
23 weeks ago

Washington

"anyone mentions manners and my Kid's immediate comment 'good manners never killed anyone' - maybe i have brain washed her a bit with that one!!!

But it's true! where is the harm in thanking someone who moves to the side to let you pass or holds a door for you. Or passes you something or acknowledges your existence in the queue.

Think its skipped a generation and now becoming extinct - and of course all the data and media usage, no need for it apparently - sad state of affairs because I feel that with manner comes respect.

rant over"

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
23 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

It’s always good manners not to wipe your cock in the curtains, it’s the small gestures that make a difference

23 weeks ago

"The manners that stand out to me the most are the ones that aren't stereotypical and performative.

There's an old story where a man was invited to a banquet with the king and his nobles. He did not have the money for a full dress shirt, and so used a front that looked like a dress shirt.

It was custom that you took off your dress jacket when the king did. The king took his jacket off. Through embarrassment, this man did too, revealing his naked back and his poverty.

The king then took his shirt off so all would be shirtless at the table and this man would not continue to be humiliated.

That's manners. Not "I always open the door for a laydee" and other performative self-congratulatory bullshit."

I like that story. Now that is manners!

By *lowupdollTV/TS
23 weeks ago

Herts

"The manners that stand out to me the most are the ones that aren't stereotypical and performative.

That's manners. Not "I always open the door for a laydee" and other performative self-congratulatory bullshit."

That’s not manners. That’s class.

23 weeks ago

"

That’s a good thought. But is it the only thing that’s free?

Manners don’t cost anything, and I’m pretty damn overly polite, and I’m alright with that, and I will continue.

By *lowupdollTV/TS
23 weeks ago

Herts

Manners don’t cost anything, and I’m pretty damn overly polite, and I’m alright with that, and I will continue. "

Well said.

* offers handshake

23 weeks ago

Manners don’t cost anything, and I’m pretty damn overly polite, and I’m alright with that, and I will continue.

Well said.

* offers handshake "

….wait a minute… have you just washed your hands, they’re wet!

By *lowupdollTV/TS
23 weeks ago

Herts

Well said.

* offers handshake

….wait a minute… have you just washed your hands, they’re wet! "

[Glow breaches the 4th wall and speaks directly to you dear readers…a simple gesture of goodwill, met with skepticism, this is why civilisation is in decline]

…Yes Woody. Sort of.

23 weeks ago

Well said.

* offers handshake

….wait a minute… have you just washed your hands, they’re wet!

[Glow breaches the 4th wall and speaks directly to you dear readers…a simple gesture of goodwill, met with skepticism, this is why civilisation is in decline]

…Yes Woody. Sort of. "

Narrator - ……*there’s a pause… as we listen to the ticking of a clock and we are reminded that Fab brings skepticism over time, but Woody trusts Glow.

…. So after a short while, which is a little longer than a moment, he rubs and wipes his own hands dry on his jeans and holds his open hand hoping for the best…

By *aters139Man
23 weeks ago

Sheffield

Being considerate....nothing pisses me off more than when people aint.

By *eroLondonMan
23 weeks ago

Mayfair

"Being considerate....nothing pisses me off more than when people aint."

Spoken like a true genteel gentleman!

By *agnar73Man
23 weeks ago

Glasgow

"Just to be a pedant it's also 'manners maketh man'.

I doff my hat to this rather high-brow educational source "

Sting gets it right in ‘Englishman in New York’ - had to look, but wasn’t he an English teacher

23 weeks ago

Respect is a big one and a broad spectrum.

Post new Message to Thread