Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Amanda Knox

Jump to newest

By *eady_eddy OP   Man
over a year ago

Liverpool

Foxy Knoxy was expected to have had her conviction for the murder of Meredith Kercher completely overturned by the Italian Court of Cassation today. It was considered a formality. The Court of Cassation has taken the unusual step of considering their verdict overnight and will deliver their ruling at 10 am tomorrow. This could be interesting.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

The Aviano USAF air base in Italy is up for renegotiation.....she'll likely be freed on appeal.

Not that I'm a cynic.....

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Give her a dose of scopolomine and let's get the truth of this once and for all. Meredith didn't slit her own throat!

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I don't take to her at all and thankfully people aren't found guilty on that basis..

But... I don't take to her

over a year ago

"Give her a dose of scopolomine and let's get the truth of this once and for all. Meredith didn't slit her own throat! "

How do you know she didn't slit her own throat, how could you possibly know that for sure, she was brutally sexually assaulted and tortured, her mind and thinking would gave been totally messed up. How did you know she didn't slit her own throat to escape her situation, people throw themselves from burning buildings to escape the situation they find themselves in, you yourself have said on another thread that the reasons people take their own lives is far to complex to categorise. Yet you say this like its not possible! I am not saying

Amanda Knox is not guilty that's for a court to decide, and not some drug.

J

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

Think of the money that could be saved using a truth drug. No more long court cases.

I dare say the lawyers would be up in arms though

By *eady_eddy OP   Man
over a year ago

Liverpool

From what I can work out, it seems there is a real possibility that there will be a re-run of the appeal that acquitted her. I think the ruling is expected at 9 am our time.

By *azzasheeneMan
over a year ago

kent

I would!

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

There will be a retrial

By *kywatcherMan
over a year ago

Southwick

The words being used on Five Live are 'there may be a retrial'.

Not sure why the 'may' word is being used as the court's decision hasn't been explained yet.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"The words being used on Five Live are 'there may be a retrial'.

Not sure why the 'may' word is being used as the court's decision hasn't been explained yet."

aye that is strange...

breaking news on Yahoo

Breaking news: Amanda Knox and her ex-boyfriend will face a re-trial over the death of British student Meredith Kercher in Italy in 2007.

maybe more details will follow

By *eady_eddy OP   Man
over a year ago

Liverpool

There should be some sort of pressure on Rudi Guede to appear before the appeal courts and be seriously cross examined. What sort of person would sit in prison knowing that two 'innocent' people were going through such a thing.

over a year ago

"There should be some sort of pressure on Rudi Guede to appear before the appeal courts and be seriously cross examined. What sort of person would sit in prison knowing that two 'innocent' people were going through such a thing."

How do we know they're innocent?

It's an inquisitorial legal system over there - not like our accusatorial process. If the judges think Rudy has something to add, they can request his presence. However, he like R and A, has always protested his innocence - perhaps he doesn't want to be caught up in the circus of their trial?

These kids know something - all of them - let the judicial process run it's course and the family of the VICTIM can actually have some form of justice...

By *eady_eddy OP   Man
over a year ago

Liverpool

I quoted 'innocent' as a means of signifying that it was debatable. Personally, I think they had something to with the crime. They told lies from the beginning.

By *eady_eddy OP   Man
over a year ago

Liverpool

Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz said that Italian prosecutors might very well extradite Knox. And, if retried, she “likely will be found guilty—because the evidence supporting a conviction is pretty strong.”

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz said that Italian prosecutors might very well extradite Knox. And, if retried, she “likely will be found guilty—because the evidence supporting a conviction is pretty strong.”"

The Italians can't extradite Knox. They can't ask the US to extradite Knox.

The US will say no.

By *eady_eddy OP   Man
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz said that Italian prosecutors might very well extradite Knox. And, if retried, she “likely will be found guilty—because the evidence supporting a conviction is pretty strong.”

The US will say no."

The professor seems to think they can. If an extradition treaty exists I do not see why she should not be extradited. If you are referring to the US double jeapardy ruling, I think you will find that it will not apply in this case as she has not been convicted. She has to convicted by the Court of Cassation (who ordered the retrial) In fact, the Court of Cassation did convict her of 'callunia' at the hearing, confirming the decision that was made at the appeal, when she was acquitted. As from Tuesday she has a criminal record

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz said that Italian prosecutors might very well extradite Knox. And, if retried, she “likely will be found guilty—because the evidence supporting a conviction is pretty strong.”

The US will say no.

The professor seems to think they can. If an extradition treaty exists I do not see why she should not be extradited. If you are referring to the US double jeapardy ruling, I think you will find that it will not apply in this case as she has not been convicted. She has to convicted by the Court of Cassation (who ordered the retrial) In fact, the Court of Cassation did convict her of 'callunia' at the hearing, confirming the decision that was made at the appeal, when she was acquitted. As from Tuesday she has a criminal record "

Sorry. That should read 'they CAN ask the US to extradite her.

Control of extradiction lies with the country of residence of the subject of the request ie the US.

They very rarely allow US citizens to face trial elsewhere, especially after a previous aquittal.

By *eady_eddy OP   Man
over a year ago

Liverpool

Onny,

You may be right.

The fact is that she has not been acquitted, that is for the Court of Cassation to decide. Whatever the decision of the re-trial, it is for the Court to ratify before it becomes fact. It would be very poor form if the US refused when they themselves are requesting extraditions willy nilly.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Onny,

You may be right.

The fact is that she has not been acquitted, that is for the Court of Cassation to decide. Whatever the decision of the re-trial, it is for the Court to ratify before it becomes fact. It would be very poor form if the US refused when they themselves are requesting extraditions willy nilly. "

That's the nature of the US version of international justice.

Post new Message to Thread