Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Sainsbury worker dismissed

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
24 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Reports that Sainsburys, not to be confused with the entrepreneur who named his shop Singhsburys with the identical font and was told off for doing so, have sacked a worker for allegedly stealing some bags for life which unsurprisingly never seem to last that long. It is alleged that after his shift, he did is shopping but pressed that he had his own bags. Result dismissed. Tribunal upheld Sainsburys decision. Result was media uproar. Should he have been sacked ? It's all over the news

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *r Black 85Man
24 weeks ago

nottingham

Theft is theft

Simple

By *orny-DJMan
24 weeks ago

Leigh-on-Sea

It appeaes that Tom has not understood why they are called 'bag for life'

The idea is that if the bag fails, rips, etc the store will replace it free of charge.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
24 weeks ago

Chelmsford

"It appeaes that Tom has not understood why they are called 'bag for life'

The idea is that if the bag fails, rips, etc the store will replace it free of charge."

What if the store ceases trading ?

By *mileyculturebelfastMan
24 weeks ago

belfast

The idea is that if the bag fails, rips, etc the store will replace it free of charge.

What if the store ceases trading ?"

The the bags won't be replaced. But you knew that unless you're an absolute buffoon.

By *ools and the brainCouple
24 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

Well on its own it sounds harsh but imagine if every employee did it, regularly?

I would imagine it's a common thing and maybe they just wanted to make an example of him or perhaps he has previous and they couldn't prove it so had been watching him closely.

He'd been an employee for over 20 years so I doubt that they took the decision lightly!

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
24 weeks ago

Chelmsford

The the bags won't be replaced. But you knew that unless you're an absolute buffoon. "

So in that instance it's not a bag for life ?

By *mileyculturebelfastMan
24 weeks ago

belfast

The the bags won't be replaced. But you knew that unless you're an absolute buffoon.

So in that instance it's not a bag for life ?"

You ever think of getting a life in the real world?

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
24 weeks ago

Chelmsford

You ever think of getting a life in the real world? "

My apologies if my posts offend you..

By *r Black 85Man
24 weeks ago

nottingham

This was actually a little funny

By *ophieslutTV/TS
24 weeks ago

Central

Wilko bag for life, anyone?

By *ophieslutTV/TS
24 weeks ago

Central

Too many of us rely on Tom, he's our 'news for life'

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
24 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Tom not sure a lifetime guarantee means much. Is it the lie of the person or the life of the product. If Sainburys get taken over by Tesco then in 20 years you bring your old damaged Sainsburys bag and ask for a new one ....

Not sure that would go well

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
24 weeks ago

Chelmsford

It's trade description. If you have smiley in your screen name at least you would hope for a sense of humor...

By *anielpiercedMan
24 weeks ago

by the seaside

The bags have monetary cost so it's a theft case as it would be gross misconduct as an employee. Probably seems trivial over a bag but it's the principle of it I guess.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
24 weeks ago

Chelmsford

"The bags have monetary cost so it's a theft case as it would be gross misconduct as an employee. Probably seems trivial over a bag but it's the principle of it I guess. "

And more to this than meets the eye. Mark Toms words

By *uddle4uMan
24 weeks ago

Purbeck

If you select no bags at the till and then use bags, its theft.

as an employee he would have been aware of the company policy and its consequence.

as was a man who was sacked for ‘eating a doughnut' while on shift at the end of the day.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
24 weeks ago

Chelmsford

"If you select no bags at the till and then use bags, its theft.

as an employee he would have been aware of the company policy and its consequence.

as was a man who was sacked for ‘eating a doughnut' while on shift at the end of the day. "

A doughnut.. ?

What type of doughnut ?

By *onameyet2Man
24 weeks ago

chorley

Doughnut for life I think?

By *ot to giggleWoman
24 weeks ago

Coventry

imagine - returning to the store in 2124 demanding that they replaced the bag that had now wore out a bit

By *ickyKlungespeareMan
24 weeks ago

St Leonards

If Tom made bags for life, they would probably be the best bags for life in the world.

By *ot to giggleWoman
24 weeks ago

Coventry

"Doughnut for life I think?"

was it in the bag

By *orny-DJMan
24 weeks ago

Leigh-on-Sea

Well, you won't need heir bag anymore

By *red333Man
24 weeks ago

Dorchester

"If Tom made bags for life, they would probably be the best bags for life in the world."
was it a new bag or an old one?

By *ickyKlungespeareMan
24 weeks ago

St Leonards

"If Tom made bags for life, they would probably be the best bags for life in the world.was it a new bag or an old one? "

Yes .

By *uddle4uMan
24 weeks ago

Purbeck

as was a man who was sacked for ‘eating a doughnut' while on shift at the end of the day.

A doughnut.. ?

What type of doughnut ?"

It was a Jam doughnut, they were being thrown away.

By *red333Man
24 weeks ago

Dorchester

"If Tom made bags for life, they would probably be the best bags for life in the world.was it a new bag or an old one?

Yes ."

lol which an old bag?

By *ickyKlungespeareMan
24 weeks ago

St Leonards

"If Tom made bags for life, they would probably be the best bags for life in the world.was it a new bag or an old one?

Yes .lol which an old bag? "

Tom exists beyond human notions of time .

By *red333Man
24 weeks ago

Dorchester

Yes .lol which an old bag?

Tom exists beyond human notions of time . "

he does he's a media mogul

By *orny-DJMan
24 weeks ago

Leigh-on-Sea

A doughnut.. ?

What type of doughnut ?

It was a Jam doughnut, they were being thrown away. "

Bob Marley's favourite

By *ickyKlungespeareMan
24 weeks ago

St Leonards

Tom exists beyond human notions of time . he does he's a media mogul "

And a cuddly cheeky monkey with it

By *red333Man
24 weeks ago

Dorchester

Tom exists beyond human notions of time . he does he's a media mogul

And a cuddly cheeky monkey with it "

exactly

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
24 weeks ago

Torquay

Is bag for life same as marriage, sounds similar

By *icknmix500Man
24 weeks ago

South Gloucestershire

I'am not surprised my son worked for Sainsbury's aged 17 on night shift and was constantly picked on by so called managers and team leaders! he was once searched at the end of a shift and a empty sweet wrapper was found in his pocket! he was accused of stealing Ffs

He now runs his own business treats his staff with respect and doesn't shop at Sainsbury's !

By *lderflowerappleWoman
24 weeks ago

Basingstoke

"Tom not sure a lifetime guarantee means much. Is it the lie of the person or the life of the product. If Sainburys get taken over by Tesco then in 20 years you bring your old damaged Sainsburys bag and ask for a new one ....

Not sure that would go well"

In fact I tried to replace an expired Waitrose bag for life (in Waitrose), only to be told that they no longer manufacture to original versions and I'd have to pay a discounted rate to upgrade to the newer version... (I declined their very generous offer)

So there's a real life example of a bag for life not fulfilling the original promise to be replaced for free on expiration.

By *onameyet2Man
24 weeks ago

chorley

I normally get a cardboard box from the fruit isle, free, useful later, biodegradable and could last a very long time if looked after properly

By *usie pTV/TS
24 weeks ago

taunton

You misunderstand, its the life of the bag not the life of the purchaser once its fooked thats it.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
24 weeks ago

Chelmsford

"Tom not sure a lifetime guarantee means much. Is it the lie of the person or the life of the product. If Sainburys get taken over by Tesco then in 20 years you bring your old damaged Sainsburys bag and ask for a new one ....

Not sure that would go well

In fact I tried to replace an expired Waitrose bag for life (in Waitrose), only to be told that they no longer manufacture to original versions and I'd have to pay a discounted rate to upgrade to the newer version... (I declined their very generous offer)

So there's a real life example of a bag for life not fulfilling the original promise to be replaced for free on expiration."

Buggers

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
24 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

Granny decided she didn't like this persons approach to Tom's news and began speaking in the third person like a true Tomite.

By *ickyKlungespeareMan
24 weeks ago

St Leonards

Granny decided she didn't like this persons approach to Tom's news and began speaking in the third person like a true Tomite. "

Nick approves of Granny's approach .

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
24 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

"I normally get a cardboard box from the fruit isle, free, useful later, biodegradable and could last a very long time if looked after properly "

This is what I do, I get the box and put it in the trolley before I start shopping, I then fill the box with the goods I am purchasing, that way I know that at the checkout all the items I have purchased will fit in the box, I can then put it in my vehicle and when I get home just lift the box out and carry it indoors.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
24 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Granny decided she didn't like this persons approach to Tom's news and began speaking in the third person like a true Tomite. "

By *ady LickWoman
24 weeks ago

Northampton Somewhere

I used to work for them. They fired a woman who took a newspaper home without paying for it everyday for months. Fair enough I say.

By *reya73Woman
24 weeks ago

Whitley Bay

Singhsburys... GENIUS. I'm more disgusted that they made a fuss about that!! Let Singhsburys be.. Its perfectly legit.

I really don't think they should bother staff about using bags ffs!

By *ansoffateMan
24 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

I seem to press the wrong 'button' half the time as those screens have a mind of their own. Remove the item, put it back, wait for an assistant. Age check for a plastic cheese-grater. By the time I get to the bow many bags screen I'm usually just slapping the screen with the palm of my hand it could be anything - I just want to leave.

Oh I don't know Tom, maybe he should have been given the benefit of the doubt. Or maybe he should have been publicly flogged to set an example.

Or maybe they should get rid of the shit machines if they don't want the odd mistake.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
24 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Tom kids you not. The man who was stopped from calling his shop Singhsburys relaunched his shop as Morrisinghs

What a character

By *aGaGagging for itCouple
24 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

"Is bag for life same as marriage, sounds similar "

There not the same - the bag usually lasts longer.

Post new Message to Thread