Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Losing weight... exercise tips please!

Jump to newest

By *ivemealadyboner OP   Woman
24 weeks ago

somewhere

Evening, I'm currently in the throws of weightloss, I've lost around 27lbs since February, I've got a long way to go and I can't really afford a gym at the moment, so I am doing what I can at home, my legs are slimmer for sure and my face is definitely slimmer with my belly smaller but it's my gut I want to start seeing results with, if anyone has any at home tips for me that would be amazing...that said I'm quite accident prone so nothing involving me on one leg while spinning the other one lol

Thanks x

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ellhungvweMan
24 weeks ago

Cheltenham

Walk. Walk everywhere. And then some more.

By *avexxMan
24 weeks ago

cheshire

maybe try some sit ups certainly firm your tummy up start with a few at a time,,

By *kiguy1234Man
24 weeks ago

Newport

I lost 2.5 stone in 4 months .. cutting down on input did it .. best thing I did ..dont drink calories advice from my doc ..weight came off ..you do get weeks with no loss but it works .. feel so much better and also helped so much with my type 2

By *mmaleiaWoman
24 weeks ago

East Northamptonshire

"Walk. Walk everywhere. And then some more."
this, and quickly, find routes with hills

24 weeks ago

somewhere

Trust me I am x

By *alcon77Man
24 weeks ago

under the sun & the moon

Ankle weights are very useful.

As described, walking is great.

If it's raining though I'll go on a treadmill I have, whilst wearing ankle weights.

Also try things like burpees/ mountain climbers.

By *d4fun73Man
24 weeks ago

Shipley

Eat healthy, don't drink and get a rowing machine!

By *alcon77Man
24 weeks ago

under the sun & the moon

You're probably on point with this already, but food might be even more important. Sometimes I'll take food I've made with me if I'm out an about, to avoid fast food

By (user no longer on site)
24 weeks ago

If you have already lost weight why you asking on here

24 weeks ago

somewhere

"Eat healthy, don't drink and get a rowing machine!"

I am eating healthy, haven't had any alcohol since start of march (when I realised it was either eating or drinking, couldn't have both lol). If I could afford a rowing machine I would x

24 weeks ago

somewhere

"If you have already lost weight why you asking on here "

I was asking for exercise tips to try, so I can start getting rid of my gut which isn't shifting

By *oft_SensualTV/TS
24 weeks ago

Yorkshire

Moderate intensity exercise is better for burning fat, if you cut down on carbs too, then your body will start to consume stored fat as energy as well.

24 weeks ago

Why asking for that on here you know you will only get loads bs why don't speak to proper fitness trainer who knows what they talking about

24 weeks ago

somewhere

"Why asking for that on here you know you will only get loads bs why don't speak to proper fitness trainer who knows what they talking about "

First forum post I've done since being back. Such a lovely welcome back.

By *kiguy1234Man
24 weeks ago

Newport

I changed what I ate .. no snacks and cook fresh.. walking a lot as I can't run due to a back operation..hills are the key ..getting out of breath the 1st few times then gets easier and you do it faster.. brilliant exercise

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

24 weeks ago

East Sussex

I second walking, it's free and you don't need special equipment. Your stomach will tone up if you make sure you engage your core while walking. Well done in your achievements so far

24 weeks ago

somewhere

"I second walking, it's free and you don't need special equipment. Your stomach will tone up if you make sure you engage your core while walking. Well done in your achievements so far"

Thank you, it's been a mission to get this far, thank you for your input x

24 weeks ago

"Why asking for that on here you know you will only get loads bs why don't speak to proper fitness trainer who knows what they talking about

First forum post I've done since being back. Such a lovely welcome back."

what's wrong with fitness trainer you had bad experience with one

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

24 weeks ago

East Sussex

"Why asking for that on here you know you will only get loads bs why don't speak to proper fitness trainer who knows what they talking about "

People can ask anything they want as long as it's within forum rules.

If you don't like the questions avoid the thread

By *toC Thats MeWoman
24 weeks ago

Sheffield

Why are you so negative and judgey.

24 weeks ago

"Why asking for that on here you know you will only get loads bs why don't speak to proper fitness trainer who knows what they talking about

Why are you so negative and judgey. "

same with you

24 weeks ago

somewhere

First forum post I've done since being back. Such a lovely welcome back. what's wrong with fitness trainer you had bad experience with one"

I can't afford one as mentioned ATM and on here is free, other people ask about underwear, I'm asking about exercise, not a bad thing imo.

24 weeks ago

First forum post I've done since being back. Such a lovely welcome back. what's wrong with fitness trainer you had bad experience with one

I can't afford one as mentioned ATM and on here is free, other people ask about underwear, I'm asking about exercise, not a bad thing imo."

they are free online

24 weeks ago

As above walking! Do you have a smart watch to count your steps? Set a target and try and achieve it everyday, look up indoor walking exercises aswell. Good if you don't get all your steps in.

And diet diet diet! I'm terrible for eating healthy but then drinking loads of calories with iced coffees.

Oh I've used a weighted hula hoop before, they're pretty good.

24 weeks ago

somewhere

First forum post I've done since being back. Such a lovely welcome back. what's wrong with fitness trainer you had bad experience with one

I can't afford one as mentioned ATM and on here is free, other people ask about underwear, I'm asking about exercise, not a bad thing imo.they are free online "

24 weeks ago

somewhere

"As above walking! Do you have a smart watch to count your steps? Set a target and try and achieve it everyday, look up indoor walking exercises aswell. Good if you don't get all your steps in.

And diet diet diet! I'm terrible for eating healthy but then drinking loads of calories with iced coffees.

"

Yes, got my watch, I am for 10000 a day, I use my fitness pal too x

By *uffnmuffCouple
24 weeks ago

London

carnivore diet intermittent fasting strength train and some cardio. I lost 3 stone see my latest picture I can't believe my body is looking like this at the age of 50 I feel 20.

By *allguynowMan
24 weeks ago

durham

"I second walking, it's free and you don't need special equipment. Your stomach will tone up if you make sure you engage your core while walking. Well done in your achievements so far

Thank you, it's been a mission to get this far, thank you for your input x"

done fitness all my life. You cannot out train a bad diet so healthy eating and if you want rid of your gut walk or run but walking is easier and more enjoyable. Don't forget plenty of shagging as well.

24 weeks ago

somewhere

"I second walking, it's free and you don't need special equipment. Your stomach will tone up if you make sure you engage your core while walking. Well done in your achievements so far

Thank you, it's been a mission to get this far, thank you for your input x done fitness all my life. You cannot out train a bad diet so healthy eating and if you want rid of your gut walk or run but walking is easier and more enjoyable. Don't forget plenty of shagging as well."

My husband will be very happy

24 weeks ago

"carnivore diet intermittent fasting strength train and some cardio. I lost 3 stone see my latest picture I can't believe my body is looking like this at the age of 50 I feel 20. "

Wow congratulations you look great

By *nnCeeWoman
24 weeks ago

East of Eden, West of Hell

"As above walking! Do you have a smart watch to count your steps? Set a target and try and achieve it everyday, look up indoor walking exercises aswell. Good if you don't get all your steps in.

Yes, got my watch, I am for 10000 a day, I use my fitness pal too x"

Well done Danish, fair play to you.

I've heard really good things about the hula hoops/shuttle hoops too. I reckon you could pick on up online pretty cheaply.

Ignore the naysayers there are plenty of people on here who might be able to offer you some tips.

Keep it up.x

By *rMonkeyMan
24 weeks ago

Somewhere

Unfortunately you can't spot reduce fat. The majority of people find belly fat is the last bit to dissappear

Consistency is key, keep doing what you are if it's working. No need to cut out carbs, doing so does have some health benefits but research shows you won't lose any more weight doing so.

I would try and do some form of resistance work, even bodyvweight. Want to give your body some reason to keep hold of what muscle you do have.

24 weeks ago

somewhere

"carnivore diet intermittent fasting strength train and some cardio. I lost 3 stone see my latest picture I can't believe my body is looking like this at the age of 50 I feel 20. "

I keep catching myself in my reflection and can't believe the small changes already, I have a hoodie I wore last June for a concert and it was tight, that's like my go to top!

By *ubikslongswordMan
24 weeks ago

East Grinstead

Thank you, it's been a mission to get this far, thank you for your input x done fitness all my life. You cannot out train a bad diet so healthy eating and if you want rid of your gut walk or run but walking is easier and more enjoyable. Don't forget plenty of shagging as well."

Cheers mate I'll pay you later

By *lack Orchid 0204Man
24 weeks ago

Leeds

We all store fat(s).. mid rift is as a general rule the last to go.

When I'm wanting to tone up I.Eat less exercise more, I only do body weight exercises press ups, sit ups, squats etc, I do6 little and often

24 weeks ago

Core exercises - plank etc

Also check out places like Facebook marketplace to see if anyone is selling off dumbells or weights cheaply. More muscle = more natural calorie burning

By *wistntwirlCouple
24 weeks ago

Middle Land

Focus on your diet for weight loss.

Focus on your fitness for fun (and fitness).

Also worth considering that exercise can make you hungry which can make the diet part tricky so have that in mind too.

By *d4fun73Man
24 weeks ago

Shipley

"Eat healthy, don't drink and get a rowing machine!

I am eating healthy, haven't had any alcohol since start of march (when I realised it was either eating or drinking, couldn't have both lol). If I could afford a rowing machine I would x"

I bought a second hand one for £80!

By *unchalMan
24 weeks ago

Dartford

Low, low, carbs. And lots of walking. Try 10 mile a day. Sounds impossible but it isn’t.

By *ebanbetsyCouple
24 weeks ago

merseyside

Walking / eating healthy / cut down on the booze / and loads of sex !! Xx

24 weeks ago

somewhere

"Eat healthy, don't drink and get a rowing machine!

I am eating healthy, haven't had any alcohol since start of march (when I realised it was either eating or drinking, couldn't have both lol). If I could afford a rowing machine I would x

I bought a second hand one for £80! "

Once we have been away, I'll see about investing x

By *wistntwirlCouple
24 weeks ago

Middle Land

Walking's great but I wouldn't expect too much from it in terms of building your fitness or burning calories.

Strength training would be better.

24 weeks ago

You can't target specific areas, it maybe worth trying some resistance training, maybe some dumbbells or kettle bells, cardio burns calories while your doing it but resistance tracing gives an afterburn effect. Also increased muscle mass burns greater calorie.

24 weeks ago

YouTube is your new best friend pick an exercise that you like your gut is mainly sorted in the kitchen though

24 weeks ago

somewhere

"YouTube is your new best friend pick an exercise that you like your gut is mainly sorted in the kitchen though"

I've been doing get fit with Rick and doing his walking thing x

By *rMonkeyMan
24 weeks ago

Somewhere

"Walking's great but I wouldn't expect too much from it in terms of building your fitness or burning calories.

Strength training would be better."

Non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT), everything you do outside of sleeping, exercise, eating or your body just functioning burns far more calories than exercise.

By *imber wolfMan
24 weeks ago

Aycliffe

"Evening, I'm currently in the throws of weightloss, I've lost around 27lbs since February, I've got a long way to go and I can't really afford a gym at the moment, so I am doing what I can at home, my legs are slimmer for sure and my face is definitely slimmer with my belly smaller but it's my gut I want to start seeing results with, if anyone has any at home tips for me that would be amazing...that said I'm quite accident prone so nothing involving me on one leg while spinning the other one lol

Thanks x"

Firstly well done on your progress so far.

Muscles burn fat so work them, add weight to your walks, a backpack with something in it (bag of pasta?).

Climbing up steps/stairs/hills, slow deliberate movements so your legs are doing the work.

Squats, if they’re too difficult at first, just standing up from a chair the sit down and repeat, again slow. As you progress lose the chair then gradually add weight (the pasta again lol)

By *arla SwingerWoman
24 weeks ago

Somewhere

Plenty of body weight vids to follow online. You can pick up fitness DVDs for a few quid in charity shops. Keep an eye on Gumtree people are always selling off equipment cheap

24 weeks ago

[Removed by poster at 17/04/24 21:10:25]

By *ittleMissCali_MrDJCouple
24 weeks ago

wonderland.

"Walk. Walk everywhere. And then some more.

Trust me I am x"

grab a cheap wii and wii fit

By *exxyyDy11Man
24 weeks ago

North West

If you get cravings for snacks or food, drink water to fill you up. Also I agree with other users walking up hills is good.

24 weeks ago

The NHS website has free exercise sessions.

Plenty of things to do at home.

Basic bridge

Pilates

Step ups/ down

Sit to stand

PM if you want advice xx

By *ucka39Man
24 weeks ago

Newcastle

Hiya op

Firstly congratulations on your weight loss achievement

As for gut

Lay flat on the floor on your back body straight arms stretching out hold your breath bend knees so feet are firmly flat on the floor then using your stomach muscles raise your legs keeping them as they are but lifting your bum off the floor with knees pointing towards your head and your toes pointing towards the ceiling each time you do this hold position count to 10 then release and breathe out and repeat...

Do in sets of 10 then increase as you are able to. You'll feel your stomach muscles building up and toning

Good luck

By *nightANDKrakenCouple
24 weeks ago

Calorie deficit. Walk everywhere. You cannot spot reduce, so there are no specific exercises that will make your tummy shrink faster or your butt grow quicker unfortunately. Do exercise you enjoy. Don't cut out 'naughty' food incorporate them within your calories. To work out your daily calorie intake they're are loads of free calculators online. It's called a BMR

By *itty9899Man
24 weeks ago

Craggy Island

Move away from processed foods.

The ingredients in packaged goods and snack foods are often heavy on trans fats, added sugar and added salt or sodium—three things that make it difficult to lose weight.

By *ucka39Man
24 weeks ago

Newcastle

"Calorie deficit. Walk everywhere. You cannot spot reduce, so there are no specific exercises that will make your tummy shrink faster or your butt grow quicker unfortunately. Do exercise you enjoy. Don't cut out 'naughty' food incorporate them within your calories. To work out your daily calorie intake they're are loads of free calculators online. It's called a BMR "

Hiya

The exercises that I've mentioned focuses on the stomach purely and very quick results leaving a fast metabolism

By *ssexBlkMaleMan
24 weeks ago

Essex

A movement like a burpee or plank would be more beneficial overall and puts less stress on the back than a sit up.

You can also add variants as the core gets stronger and you can do more burpees or hold the plank for longer

By *risxbrisxMan
24 weeks ago

Bristol

Pullup bar bweeen door frame, everytime you walk through it pull yourself up and do leg raises to 90 degree angle untill faliure. Works everything core, abs, arms, back, scapulars.

Drink loads water and cut all sugar.

Pick a diff door and everytime you go through do squats.

No deviations, if the door is entered get squatting or leg raising.

I have never set foot in a gym and dont often leave my flat during the week, I just stick to the door rules and got myself healthier.

You got this

24 weeks ago

Well fucking done thats a huge amount of weight.

Walk walk and walk is our suggestion. We started walking an hour a day every evening without fail and it all fell off

By *yrone69xMan
24 weeks ago

carnforth

"Evening, I'm currently in the throws of weightloss, I've lost around 27lbs since February, I've got a long way to go and I can't really afford a gym at the moment, so I am doing what I can at home, my legs are slimmer for sure and my face is definitely slimmer with my belly smaller but it's my gut I want to start seeing results with, if anyone has any at home tips for me that would be amazing...that said I'm quite accident prone so nothing involving me on one leg while spinning the other one lol

Thanks x"

skipping, boxing and healthy food

By *ammyJamesandJaneCouple
24 weeks ago

Yumbo PDI

I bought a kettle bell and have seen amazing results as a guy. Started at 8kg just moved up to 12kg.

Try to eat foods that are complete, for instance peanuts not peanut butter. Whole apples not juice. If you think are hungry ask yourself if you can eat an apple, if not you are not hungry.

By *orny PTMan
24 weeks ago

Peterborough

Well done for getting motivated: that's half the battle.

You can benefit from foam rollers and blocks as they'll keep you supple and more energised.

Even simple poses like the ski jumper position on the bottom of the stairs, for only 30 seconds can release tight calves on the spot and increase your walking speed, without any extra exertion.

I've tried it and it works.

By *ubikslongswordMan
24 weeks ago

East Grinstead

"Walk. Walk everywhere. And then some more.

Trust me I am x grab a cheap wii and wii fit "

We actually have a Wii but no controllers tbf

By *olden RatioWoman
24 weeks ago

Buckinghamshire

Well done!!

There are some really good yoga classes on YouTube which are perfect for stretching out and winding down.

24 weeks ago

somewhere

"I bought a kettle bell and have seen amazing results as a guy. Started at 8kg just moved up to 12kg.

Try to eat foods that are complete, for instance peanuts not peanut butter. Whole apples not juice. If you think are hungry ask yourself if you can eat an apple, if not you are not hungry."

Strangely enough I'm never hungry and resist all temptation, coming from someone who in January would quite happily munch a whole family bar of chocolate to not found near one, it's been quite a change I have to say!

By *inister_SpinsterWoman
24 weeks ago

North West

Other people will give you exercise tips. And I fully support you being active.

Do remember. It's easier not to eat the calories in the first place than work out how to work them off. This was a game changer for me.

Good luck op.

By *illy IdolMan
24 weeks ago

Midlands

Sounds like you're already doing amazing. The gut is the first place I put weight on, so it'll probably be the last place you lose it.

Be patient and keep up the good work

By *orkshire UnicornWoman
24 weeks ago

Yorkshire

Get some resistance bands. The weighted kind - mine were from Amazon. I do a mix of Pilates and somatic workouts. PM me if you want more info, I won’t sell you anything or get you to join a pyramid scheme, don’t worry

By *wistntwirlCouple
24 weeks ago

Middle Land

"Walking's great but I wouldn't expect too much from it in terms of building your fitness or burning calories.

Non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT), everything you do outside of sleeping, exercise, eating or your body just functioning burns far more calories than exercise."

Think you may have misunderstood what that is.

By *rMonkeyMan
24 weeks ago

Somewhere

Non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT), everything you do outside of sleeping, exercise, eating or your body just functioning burns far more calories than exercise.

"

Nah, I'm pretty certain I haven't

By *wistntwirlCouple
24 weeks ago

Middle Land

Nah, I'm pretty certain I haven't "

You're claiming fiddling about burns "far more" calories than exercise?

By *rMonkeyMan
24 weeks ago

Somewhere

You're claiming fiddling about burns "far more" calories than exercise?"

Its far more than just fidgeting. Cutting the grass, walking to the shops, walking up the stairs, the list is endless. An hours weight training burns a low number of calories.

By *wistntwirlCouple
24 weeks ago

Middle Land

You're claiming fiddling about burns "far more" calories than exercise?

Its far more than just fidgeting. Cutting the grass, walking to the shops, walking up the stairs, the list is endless. An hours weight training burns a low number of calories.

"

Possibly depending on what you do of course. But has more lasting benefits too.

There is a theory that (apart from those doing extreme amounts) we only burn a set number of calories each day pretty much no matter what we do.

Basically if we do a lot we then compensate by resting/going slow.

But if we do very little we get fat.

Less so for the fiddlers and the active.

By *ocketrocket80Man
24 weeks ago

Walsall

Heads, shoulders, knees and toes

It sounds like you are doing really well and some grest suggestions.

Just dont expect miracles, do it slowly with a combination of improving diet and exercise and you will see the results and then you are more likely to stick with it long term.

24 weeks ago

somewhere

"Heads, shoulders, knees and toes

It sounds like you are doing really well and some grest suggestions.

Just dont expect miracles, do it slowly with a combination of improving diet and exercise and you will see the results and then you are more likely to stick with it long term."

Thanks, I know it's going to take time and I'm good with that, I'd rather lose it at a sensible rate rather than a quick fix.

Really appreciate all your comments x

By *entleman JayMan
24 weeks ago

Wakefield

[Removed by poster at 17/04/24 23:34:00]

By *amantha_JadeWoman
24 weeks ago

Newcastle

Wow - congratulations on your weight loss so far! Drink loads of water, reduce booze, salt and sugar. Walk everywhere. Consider getting some resistance bands or free weights to use at home - great for toning and I feel an almost immediate improvement in my posture. There’s loads of good ab/aerobic workouts on YouTube. If you have access to the gym, a 30min walk on the treadmill at a decent pace with an incline is great for calorie burning. I find meal prepping works for me (I usually prep my meals Sunday and Wednesday and then have one ‘cheat’ meal at the weekend). I like treating myself to fitness related things to help stay on track - whether that is a new water bottle, ear buds, workout clothes. Hope that helps

By *az26Man
24 weeks ago

Solihull

Calories in = Calories out is 90% of weight loss.

Meaning that if you can find out your bodies base metabolic rate (how many calories your body uses in a typical day) - and you eat less than that. Then you’ll be losing weight. Of course, you’ll have to do the laborious task of counting calories which may be overkill for a lot of people. But it’s literal science (law of conservation of energy).

As many have said, cutting out the booze and junk are easy ways to cut calories.

In terms of exercise, I’ve seen some good advice in the thread and some bad. Stuff like walking everywhere is great (20-30 mins a day is a good start), if you can buy some small weights, and do some muscle building exercises (2-3 times a week for 30 mins to start), as they’re good in the long run (as it will increase your base metabolic rate due to increased muscle mass - meaning your body will use more calories because of the increase in muscle - equating to you being able to eat more without essentially gaining weight.)

Women tend to think lifting weights, will get them bulky… not true at all, unless you’re taking steroids or you have the genetics of Arnold haha!

Honestly, anything that keeps you moving on your legs is great! Even HIIT workouts (burpees, mountain climbers etc.) are good too, quick and intense, a few times a week will set you good.

The bad advice I’ve seen is typical ol fashioned nonsense, like “doing situps will tone your stomach”. There’s no such thing as targeting weight loss in a certain area - you lose weight overall. Sure you’ll build your abs, but whats the point if you’ve got a layer of fat above it!? It’s sad really, people still carry on this bs from the 80’s and 90’s. I’ve never seen a person with 5 chins and a 6 pack.

However, having said that, everyone has different genetics, and have different fat placements on their body. Some may lose fat last on their legs, others lose fat on their stomachs last etc.

Just remember, a body is built in the kitchen, and not in the gym (exercise). But it sure does help to exercise! Burning the candle at both ends (exercise and diet) is a sure way to lose weight and be healthier!

Good luck!

By *aters139Man
24 weeks ago

Sheffield

Rules I've try to live by\have heard.

-its easier not to eat something than it is to work it off.

-do strength as well as cardio, I understand the more muscle mass you have, the more calories you need therefore you burn more each day.

-doing something is better than nothing.

-try and do something new\enjoyable -ive taken up bouldering and it's crazy how it builds strength for what is little activity -and everyone there seems slim!

-Track what you do, and don't have an target, just try and do better than you did last time.

-dont watch your weight, watch your clothes.

By *ellhungvweMan
24 weeks ago

Cheltenham

"Rules I've try to live by\have heard.

-its easier not to eat something than it is to work it off.

-do strength as well as cardio, I understand the more muscle mass you have, the more calories you need therefore you burn more each day.

-doing something is better than nothing.

-try and do something new\enjoyable -ive taken up bouldering and it's crazy how it builds strength for what is little activity -and everyone there seems slim!

-Track what you do, and don't have an target, just try and do better than you did last time.

-dont watch your weight, watch your clothes."

I think this is good

By *luebell888Woman
24 weeks ago

Glasgowish

I walk a good few miles everyday with my dogs. This combined with a healthy diet has resulted in me never putting weight on and remaining a size 8/10 for over 30years. I love being outside in all weather and listen to music wherever I go. Walking is great. Put me in a gym and I would be wanting to leave after 10mins as it bores me.

By *oupleforxtrafunCouple
24 weeks ago

Nottingham

Cut as much sugar as possible out your diet

By *irthandgirthMan
24 weeks ago

Camberley occasionally doncaster

If you are walking, wear a rucksack with a couple of large bottles of water in.

Watch your caloric intake. Make 1-2 small changes a week.

Increase your protein intake

Remember consistency is the most important thing in any health journey.

There are no short cuts. Sorry.

By *wistntwirlCouple
24 weeks ago

Middle Land

Why advise more protein if you don't know how much they already have, what their weight is etc. ?

Hardly anyone in this country needs to worry about protein intake.

By *irthandgirthMan
24 weeks ago

Another couple.

Discipline extends to your food shopping. Have a list. Stick to it. You don't need to go down most of the aisles. Don't shop hungry.

Make sure your household are part of a supportive network and on track with you. Having one person eat healthy while the other smashes pizza and chips will doom you to failure.

Learn to meal prep. It doesn't have to be boring. But it does make tracking easy.

Make yourself accountable. Even if just to yourself. Don't lie to yourself. Track every morsel that you put in your body.

Don't have the mindset of "oh I had a bad day, I will start again on monday" - move on and get straight back on your plan.

Start tracking your calories on a Friday, not a monday. Most people go over on weekends. Starting on a Friday means you have 4 days to hit your weekly goals.

By *irthandgirthMan
24 weeks ago

"Why advise more protein if you don't know how much they already have, what their weight is etc. ?

Hardly anyone in this country needs to worry about protein intake."

Apologies, poorly worded.

UK RDA for protein is the absolute minimum anyone should be aiming for. Many people don't even reach it.

By *wistntwirlCouple
24 weeks ago

Middle Land

"Why advise more protein if you don't know how much they already have, what their weight is etc. ?

Hardly anyone in this country needs to worry about protein intake.

Apologies, poorly worded.

UK RDA for protein is the absolute minimum anyone should be aiming for. Many people don't even reach it. "

Not all would agree. RDA is based on some very old science. As far as I understand most exceed what they need without needing to try.

By *wistntwirlCouple
24 weeks ago

Middle Land

This bloke explains it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMwf_9wqWY0

By *izandpaulCouple
24 weeks ago

merseyside

Try going to a local salsa / Latin dance lesson / group.

It's great and doesn't feel like exercise.

Give it a whirl.

24 weeks ago

somewhere

"Another couple.

Discipline extends to your food shopping. Have a list. Stick to it. You don't need to go down most of the aisles. Don't shop hungry.

Make sure your household are part of a supportive network and on track with you. Having one person eat healthy while the other smashes pizza and chips will doom you to failure.

Learn to meal prep. It doesn't have to be boring. But it does make tracking easy.

Make yourself accountable. Even if just to yourself. Don't lie to yourself. Track every morsel that you put in your body.

Don't have the mindset of "oh I had a bad day, I will start again on monday" - move on and get straight back on your plan.

Start tracking your calories on a Friday, not a monday. Most people go over on weekends. Starting on a Friday means you have 4 days to hit your weekly goals."

Thanks but just so you know I do already do these.

Started batch cooking and I'm amazed that I ever ate so much tbh, what I could eat in one sitting now lasts me a few days.

I try not to have bad days, I know if I do I will hate myself for it, so tend not too, that said I don't deny myself something nice, just smaller portions of it as I know if I did, I'd hate what I'm doing and I'm enjoying it, seeing the results so far, which is shocking.

When I'm at work in the evenings, I have my little routine that I do exercise wise every evening, as if I don't do it, I have the mindset I've been lazy.

But I've had an incredible advice here how to keep fit at home, which was my original intention x

By *irthandgirthMan
24 weeks ago

"Another couple.

Start tracking your calories on a Friday, not a monday. Most people go over on weekends. Starting on a Friday means you have 4 days to hit your weekly goals.

Thanks but just so you know I do already do these.

Started batch cooking and I'm amazed that I ever ate so much tbh, what I could eat in one sitting now lasts me a few days.

I try not to have bad days, I know if I do I will hate myself for it, so tend not too, that said I don't deny myself something nice, just smaller portions of it as I know if I did, I'd hate what I'm doing and I'm enjoying it, seeing the results so far, which is shocking.

When I'm at work in the evenings, I have my little routine that I do exercise wise every evening, as if I don't do it, I have the mindset I've been lazy.

But I've had an incredible advice here how to keep fit at home, which was my original intention x"

That's awesome. Obviously coming into this 'cold' without knowing the full situation. Hopefully mentioning them might help others too. Sounds like you are doing really well

By *irthandgirthMan
24 weeks ago

"This bloke explains it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMwf_9wqWY0"

This is one viewpoint. There is plenty of peer reviewed articles and real world evidence that does not agree with all of his points.

By *isurgeanceMan
24 weeks ago

Carterton

For me I go to a low fat diet (no snacking, biscuits, crisps, chocolate, alcohol, cake, salted nuts, take-outs/restaurants etc) and use minimal to no fat in cooking (nothing fried or roasted). Oats for breakfast, baked white fish for lunch, a fistful of carbs with dinner, switched to fully skimmed milk, portion control etc.

Last time I did that I lost about 7-8kg in a month without any major exercise and I was happy with that at the time. I'm about to do it again as I'm not happy with the old torso.

I guess we're all different and I think it's easy to drown in too much information these days. It's quite maddening looking at fitness etc as there's a lot of contradictory takes.

For me cutting out as much fat as possible was logical at the very least. Walking as well.

By *wistntwirlCouple
24 weeks ago

Middle Land

"This bloke explains it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMwf_9wqWY0

This is one viewpoint. There is plenty of peer reviewed articles and real world evidence that does not agree with all of his points. "

Did you watch it?

By *partharmonyCouple
24 weeks ago

Ruislip

The best way to lose weight is through changing what you eat. Exercise is good for you but I advise you to separate the two aims of getting fit and losing weight. Luke

By *ong-leggedblondWoman
24 weeks ago

Next Door

I'm no expert but due to my age I've been following people who talk about diet, menopause and exercise.

I wasn't in the mindset for yrs to exercise bit the past few mo the I have been.

I exercise at home 3-4 times a week, doing with kettlebells and dumbbells and resistance bands. I also have started walking more, a lot more.

I've noticed I'm not as bloated and inches seem to be going, definitely toning up. I've not jumped on the scales in weeks and really don't intent too.

High protein meals and protein shake after workout and I am sticking to around 1800 per day and I don't eat the exercise calories.

It works for me

By *undee2Man
24 weeks ago

Dundee

"

Yes, got my watch, I am for 10000 a day, I use my fitness pal too x"

I remember reading about the lad who invented the fitbit type device. Apparently he plucked the 10,000 step number out of thin air. It seems he wasn't that far off, 15,000 steps seems to be the best number to aim for

24 weeks ago

All about calorie deficit, it’s ok if you can’t go to the gym because it’s only about needed to burn extra cals but you can machine this by just skipping on meal, I started missing breakfast and walking to work then just having dinner and tea (tea later on at night) then just a good night sleep to valid snacking, the later you stay up the sexier snacks start to look

By *wistntwirlCouple
24 weeks ago

Middle Land

"

Yes, got my watch, I am for 10000 a day, I use my fitness pal too x

I remember reading about the lad who invented the fitbit type device. Apparently he plucked the 10,000 step number out of thin air. It seems he wasn't that far off, 15,000 steps seems to be the best number to aim for"

That's 2 or 3 continuous hours walking. Good luck.

By *r ThickWi11yMan
24 weeks ago

Warrington

Sadly you can’t target any specific area for weight loss. You just need to be in a calorie deficit and keep going. Well done on what you have achieved, you’re doing brilliantly!

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple
24 weeks ago

Leeds

My issue is calories in drinks, if I could remove those I'd probably start to see some improvement - but water

Mrs

By *undee2Man
24 weeks ago

Dundee

"

That's 2 or 3 continuous hours walking. Good luck."

I do that most days up my local hills.

Post new Message to Thread