Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Great Leaders

Jump to newest

By *exy fireman OP   Man
over a year ago

essex

Who in your opinion, dead or alive, is or has been a great leader?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Me ....................... Nelson Mandella and the Me bit was a joke !!!!!

over a year ago

Bill Clinton he had a way with cigars.

over a year ago

The pied piper of hamelin.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

It's a toss up between Margaret Thatcher and Pol Pot.....but Maggie wins it by a nose

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 25/03/13 18:26:43]

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

Winston Churchill was the right leader for the time.

By *exy fireman OP   Man
over a year ago

essex

"Who in your opinion, dead or alive, is or has been a great leader? "

Hitler ?

over a year ago

Hitler was a very clever leader. No one can deny that!

over a year ago

"Hitler was a very clever leader. No one can deny that!"

I wouldn't describe him as clever or great - but certainly effective.. for a short time.

over a year ago

Genghis Khan

over a year ago

Leonardo from TMNT

over a year ago

Fucked up in Russia though.

By *ounggun432Man
over a year ago

east mids

"Leonardo from TMNT "

So true...otherwise someone had to keep Raphaels temper in check

over a year ago

Leading your country into a war that you eventually lose doesn't sound very clever to me.

over a year ago

"Leonardo from TMNT

So true...otherwise someone had to keep Raphaels temper in check"

Raph wanted to be the leader but he just wasn't right for the job. Too "hot-headed"

over a year ago

Julius Ceasar

Ghenghis Khan

Attilla the Hun

George Washington

Ghandi

Winston Churchill

Its a shame that only one person on the list was a leader of peace

By *exy fireman OP   Man
over a year ago

essex

"Hitler was a very clever leader. No one can deny that!

Leading your country into a war that you eventually lose doesn't sound very clever to me. "

you are right, but he must of had good leadership qualities to get so many people on his side

By *ounggun432Man
over a year ago

east mids

cromwell....he was a knob but he led well

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Leading your country into a war that you eventually lose doesn't sound very clever to me.

you are right, but he must of had good leadership qualities to get so many people on his side"

Nah....a mixture of a great propaganda machine and a desperate population....

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Martin Luther King

By *exy fireman OP   Man
over a year ago

essex

Alex Furgeson ?

over a year ago

Hugo Chavez

over a year ago

Hitler was a very bad leader, often giving contradictory orders, misleading orders and orders than were left so loose that those in the field could often interpret them as they saw fit.

What he was good at was rallying people and using the resources at hand politically and socially to secure his position.

Had he been a great leader, the world as we know it today would be a very different place.

over a year ago

you are right, but he must of had good leadership qualities to get so many people on his side"

Nope he scared the masses shitless and prayed on the fear of the time. He was a fuckwit but did however, make the trains run on time.

For me a leader is one who has all the best human qualities in abundance and that person is Aung San Suu Kyi. A woman of the people for the people.

By *ounggun432Man
over a year ago

east mids

Cyrus the Great

Conquests plus he was apparently pretty egalitarian for the time

over a year ago

From antiquity I'd have to say it's between Alexander the Great and Julius Caesar. Both conquered vast swathes of territories and in Alexander's case he did it before the age of 30.

In modern times, Gandhi bought warring factions of the same people together for the first time in their history (Hindus & Sikhs). Martin Luthor King gave a voice to a nation of oppressed people living in a nation of oppressors who liked the world to believe 'it is the land of the free', that took some doing.

Churchill for his mesmerising rallying speeches via radio in the darker days of WW2. He epitomised everything it is/was to be British.

(I can't include Thatcher in this list as I despised her at the time, but history will show her to be someone who took a country riddled with petty politicking by Unions and politicians alike and shook them so hard they had no choice but to bend to her will.)

In the Arts, you could choose from dozens of 'leaders': Dylan & Lennon from music spring to mind immediately, then there's Richard Burton & Laurence Olivier from the world of acting. You'd have to consider Bobby Charlton & Bobby Moore from football too.

That still leaves one person not mentioned yet who I believe has been inspirational as a true Leader, and that person is our current monarch, Her Most Wonderful Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II.

By *am123Man
over a year ago

essex chelmsford

"From antiquity I'd have to say it's between Alexander the Great and Julius Caesar. Both conquered vast swathes of territories and in Alexander's case he did it before the age of 30.

In modern times, Gandhi bought warring factions of the same people together for the first time in their history (Hindus & Sikhs). Martin Luthor King gave a voice to a nation of oppressed people living in a nation of oppressors who liked the world to believe 'it is the land of the free', that took some doing.

Churchill for his mesmerising rallying speeches via radio in the darker days of WW2. He epitomised everything it is/was to be British.

(I can't include Thatcher in this list as I despised her at the time, but history will show her to be someone who took a country riddled with petty politicking by Unions and politicians alike and shook them so hard they had no choice but to bend to her will.)

In the Arts, you could choose from dozens of 'leaders': Dylan & Lennon from music spring to mind immediately, then there's Richard Burton & Laurence Olivier from the world of acting. You'd have to consider Bobby Charlton & Bobby Moore from football too.

That still leaves one person not mentioned yet who I believe has been inspirational as a true Leader, and that person is our current monarch, Her Most Wonderful Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II."

and tony blair

over a year ago

bismark... well i liked reading about him at school

over a year ago

"From antiquity I'd have to say it's between Alexander the Great and Julius Caesar. Both conquered vast swathes of territories and in Alexander's case he did it before the age of 30.

That still leaves one person not mentioned yet who I believe has been inspirational as a true Leader, and that person is our current monarch, Her Most Wonderful Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II."

What inspirational gifts has QE2 bestowed on the nation?

over a year ago

That still leaves one person not mentioned yet who I believe has been inspirational as a true Leader, and that person is our current monarch, Her Most Wonderful Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II.What inspirational gifts has QE2 bestowed on the nation?"

our stamps are quite pleasant

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Pete Burns

over a year ago

That still leaves one person not mentioned yet who I believe has been inspirational as a true Leader, and that person is our current monarch, Her Most Wonderful Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II.

What inspirational gifts has QE2 bestowed on the nation?"

She has been an icon for people the world over for 60 years and has NEVER put a foot wrong in all that time. She's never made a faux pas and she has never spoke out of turn... but it's ok to be an anti-Royalist if that's how you feel. You have the right to say how you feel and even though I'd never agree with you in a million years I would defend your right to say it.

over a year ago

That still leaves one person not mentioned yet who I believe has been inspirational as a true Leader, and that person is our current monarch, Her Most Wonderful Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II.What inspirational gifts has QE2 bestowed on the nation?

our stamps are quite pleasant "

Just looking at my stamps..........its a picture of a Blue Tit?

over a year ago

Mikael gorbachev by a mile for me as he started to change the sovuet union for the better.

over a year ago

She has been an icon for people the world over for 60 years and has NEVER put a foot wrong in all that time. She's never made a faux pas and she has never spoke out of turn... but it's ok to be an anti-Royalist if that's how you feel. You have the right to say how you feel and even though I'd never agree with you in a million years I would defend your right to say it."

Thank you for that. However my gran had all those attributes and found the time to bring up 6 kids through a war. Is this just life? I admit to being a republican, but QE2 is like any other gran but with castles?

over a year ago

Leading your country into a war that you eventually lose doesn't sound very clever to me. "

Seeing as the Germans seem to be in control of Europe I would suggest maybe then won just took em sixty years to do it

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Pete Burns "

You spin me right round ....... the other way .....

Ooooer I spin both ways.

By *am123Man
over a year ago

essex chelmsford

That still leaves one person not mentioned yet who I believe has been inspirational as a true Leader, and that person is our current monarch, Her Most Wonderful Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II.What inspirational gifts has QE2 bestowed on the nation?

our stamps are quite pleasant Just looking at my stamps..........its a picture of a Blue Tit?"

maybe she was cold

over a year ago

She has been an icon for people the world over for 60 years and has NEVER put a foot wrong in all that time. She's never made a faux pas and she has never spoke out of turn... but it's ok to be an anti-Royalist if that's how you feel. You have the right to say how you feel and even though I'd never agree with you in a million years I would defend your right to say it."

Completely misjudging the mood of her loyal subjects immediately after the death of Diana and not judging from her stance until her Prime Minister advised her otherwise = faux pas. A fucking big one.

over a year ago

budging not judging soz

over a year ago

Georges Danton, Napoleon Bonaparte, Che Guevara, Karl Marx, Sigmund Freud, Leon Trotsky, Brian Clough

over a year ago

Don't think the Queen is really a leader anyway, no power.

Also, nasty habit of pinning medals on war criminals.

over a year ago

Also, Michael Collins, did what was right for his country, despite knowing it would lead to his death.

over a year ago

She has been an icon for people the world over for 60 years and has NEVER put a foot wrong in all that time. She's never made a faux pas and she has never spoke out of turn... but it's ok to be an anti-Royalist if that's how you feel. You have the right to say how you feel and even though I'd never agree with you in a million years I would defend your right to say it.

Completely misjudging the mood of her loyal subjects immediately after the death of Diana and not judging from her stance until her Prime Minister advised her otherwise = faux pas. A fucking big one."

Royalty and Religion.......Mogodon for the masses

over a year ago

That still leaves one person not mentioned yet who I believe has been inspirational as a true Leader, and that person is our current monarch, Her Most Wonderful Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II. and tony blair "

And Blair!!! Get a grip the mans a lying narcissistic coward who sent this country into an illegal war because he hadn't got the balls to say no to Bush

over a year ago

Glenn Miller

By *H.coupleCouple
over a year ago

Edinburgh

whoever is in charge of Australia, we would love to live in their country.

the story about the boat that was full of immigrants that tried to dock in there country then got told if they get any closer it will be seen as a hostile action and blown out of the water, was a touch of genius imo (mr)

over a year ago

Why only political leaders ? What about leaders in fields such as business, education etc ?

over a year ago

"whoever is in charge of Australia, we would love to live in their country.

the story about the boat that was full of immigrants that tried to dock in there country then got told if they get any closer it will be seen as a hostile action and blown out of the water, was a touch of genius imo (mr)"

yeah immigrants are awful aren't they?

the prime minister of Australia is Welsh by the way

over a year ago

Seeing as the Germans seem to be in control of Europe I would suggest maybe then won just took em sixty years to do it "

my german friends would be disgusted at any connection to being the same country during the world wars!

When people understand, in those days there wasnt much choice to fight in wars u might not have agreed with, perhaps some understanding will come..I dont think many could say "I'm a pacifist!" and get away with it... people could barely do that here without heavy social stigma..think of what it must have been like IN germany!

over a year ago

the story about the boat that was full of immigrants that tried to dock in there country then got told if they get any closer it will be seen as a hostile action and blown out of the water, was a touch of genius imo (mr)

the prime minister of Australia is Welsh by the way "

I was amazed tht Cameron took so long to jump on the immigration bandwagon. Interesting Hitler had forthright views on such matters and he is on the dinner guest list!

over a year ago

the prime minister of Australia is Welsh by the way "

Welsh descent, and no country can withstand constant illegal immigration.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 25/03/13 19:45:51]

over a year ago

"

but if you lived in their country, wouldn't you be an immigrant?

over a year ago

"[Removed by poster at 25/03/13 19:45:51]"
Irony........its misplaced!!

By *am123Man
over a year ago

essex chelmsford

That still leaves one person not mentioned yet who I believe has been inspirational as a true Leader, and that person is our current monarch, Her Most Wonderful Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II. and tony blair

And Blair!!! Get a grip the mans a lying narcissistic coward who sent this country into an illegal war because he hadn't got the balls to say no to Bush"

lol the eyes are a give away no?? sarcasm lowest form of wit but im low

over a year ago

the prime minister of Australia is Welsh by the way

Welsh descent, and no country can withstand constant illegal immigration."

Constant and illegal......prove the former and the latter has happend for centuries.

Sounds like a Daily Mail Editorial!

over a year ago

"Constant and illegal......prove the former and the latter has happend for centuries.

Sounds like a Daily Mail Editorial!"

I stand by my point, immigration is one thing, I didn't say anything about that, but illegal immigration is shock! illegal, and any state is within it's rights to protect itself from it.

over a year ago

the story about the boat that was full of immigrants that tried to dock in there country then got told if they get any closer it will be seen as a hostile action and blown out of the water, was a touch of genius imo "

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't all Australians immigrants.

over a year ago

the story about the boat that was full of immigrants that tried to dock in there country then got told if they get any closer it will be seen as a hostile action and blown out of the water, was a touch of genius imo

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't all Australians immigrants. "

No, being descended from an immigrant doesn't make you one, otherwise every human being is one.

Also, Aborigines.

over a year ago

Hannibal from the a team

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 25/03/13 20:09:36]

over a year ago

the story about the boat that was full of immigrants that tried to dock in there country then got told if they get any closer it will be seen as a hostile action and blown out of the water, was a touch of genius imo

No, being descended from an immigrant doesn't make you one, otherwise every human being is one.

Also, Aborigines."

Julia Gillard was born in Barry. She's definitely one.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 25/03/13 20:10:35]

over a year ago

Also, Aborigines."

So if you are descended from an illegal immigrant are you now legal ?

over a year ago

Also, Aborigines.

"

Also Aborigines........is that an Austrailan band? I come from a land down under where women glow and men thunder!

over a year ago

"

"

If you have a valid citizenship, yes.

If you stay outside the system, then it's unlikely.

Post new Message to Thread