Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Broadband

Jump to newest

By *zero OP   Man
25 weeks ago

A wretched hive of scum and villainy

Been with Sky since I moved into my flat about 7 years ago and now I think it's time to switch. Anyone been with one of the lesser providers like Now or Plusnet?

Are they worth it or would you go for say Virgin Media or stick with Sky?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

25 weeks ago

East Sussex

We're with Plusnet and have never had any problems.

By *eroLondonMan
25 weeks ago

Mayfair

Community Fibre, if you can get it. (Moved away from Virgin Media after 15 years with them). 1Gbps upstream and downstream and I have no regrets.

By *ed MartinMan
25 weeks ago

Shefford

We’re with TalkTalk, they’re fine. It’s probably more important to check the coverage for your postcode and make a decision based on that, rather than pick a provider based on recommendation/reputation though.

By *sWyldWoman
25 weeks ago

Edinburgh

I was with plusnet for years they were great

Now we live in the sticks, so my sons insisted on a starlink. Expensive but works, they are big gamers.

By *herrybakewellCouple
25 weeks ago

Staffordshire

We got 5g broadband from Three. No more phone line which is a nice saving.

£18 per month.

By *mber and FireCouple
25 weeks ago

Carmarthenshire

The vast majority of broadband providers use BT/Openreach lines. Plusnet and EE are basically budget and mid range providers, BT being 'premium'.

Pretty sure Sky use BT lines too, or at least they definitely used to.

Basically if you don't want/need/can't make use of the fancy 'added value' features, go for whatever is cheap - there's no real difference between line quality if its using openreach infrastructure.

By *rHotNottsMan
25 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

In the UK I switched last year to Three / MyFi £10 a month after years with VM even on friends and family rate was still £38.

I think VM are by far the best, the investment from Liberty global means BT/Sky can never compete on bandwidth and coverage, they just need to sort the price & customer service out.

By *zero OP   Man
25 weeks ago

A wretched hive of scum and villainy

"I was with plusnet for years they were great

Now we live in the sticks, so my sons insisted on a starlink. Expensive but works, they are big gamers. "

Never even heard of Starlink

By *rHotNottsMan
25 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"The vast majority of broadband providers use BT/Openreach lines. Plusnet and EE are basically budget and mid range providers, BT being 'premium'.

Basically if you don't want/need/can't make use of the fancy 'added value' features, go for whatever is cheap - there's no real difference between line quality if its using openreach infrastructure."

That’s right there’s two companies to choose from , VM Fibre optic, or BT copper wire with bits of fibre. But MyFi is a viable third option now using GSM 4G/5G

By *ophieslutTV/TS
25 weeks ago

Central

EE, BT and Plusnet are the same company. I would be influenced by volume and local reputation and performance.

By *ts the taking part thatMan
25 weeks ago

southampton

If in your area Toob are really good on speed, CS & price.

I left BT after 3 decades due to price & their lies, now pay £25 fixed for 18months plus 900mpbs speed unlimited but be aware no phone line & a £25 voucher toward a booster if needed but I find its good all over the house.

By *sWyldWoman
25 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"I was with plusnet for years they were great

Now we live in the sticks, so my sons insisted on a starlink. Expensive but works, they are big gamers.

Never even heard of Starlink"

It's an Elon Musk thing with satellites . We don't get fibre here

By *ndyp6969Man
25 weeks ago

manchester

I am on virgin it won’t let me use WiFi on fab server blocks it have to use data any ideas anyone

By *ophieslutTV/TS
25 weeks ago

Central

"I am on virgin it won’t let me use WiFi on fab server blocks it have to use data any ideas anyone "

If ethernet and WiFi blocks Fab, it means that you need to get the adult content filter removed by Virgin.

By *ndyp6969Man
25 weeks ago

manchester

Cheers

By *rills and SwoonCouple
25 weeks ago

Stroud

We are with Zen Internet. Super fast broadband, great router you can configure every aspect of including setting up a VPN, a fixed IP (so you can run your own servers if you need to) and no blocking/throttling. Their service is excellent - they’ve been the number one Which rated ISP for several years running.

By *amierebelMan
24 weeks ago

nae danger.

"The vast majority of broadband providers use BT/Openreach lines. Plusnet and EE are basically budget and mid range providers, BT being 'premium'.

Basically if you don't want/need/can't make use of the fancy 'added value' features, go for whatever is cheap - there's no real difference between line quality if its using openreach infrastructure."

EE now own BT

By *amierebelMan
24 weeks ago

nae danger.

I'm actually of no help though op I use BT/EE WiFi hotspots basically leach of and steal a family members WiFi at no cost to me works perfectly aswell helps my whole house is full hotspots

By *mber and FireCouple
24 weeks ago

Carmarthenshire

Basically if you don't want/need/can't make use of the fancy 'added value' features, go for whatever is cheap - there's no real difference between line quality if its using openreach infrastructure.

EE now own BT"

Been a while since I worked for them, but at the time BT owned EE and Plusnet, and I think they'd started splitting from Openreach so it became it's own company. The infrastructure hasn't changed much, though there is a bigger push to getting pure fibre out, it always starts with new builds and rolls out slowly.

A lot of the bigger cities do have access to smaller, faster ISPs though. Zen was fantastic from what I've been told - but always being rural it's always just been BT.

By *mber SkiesWoman
24 weeks ago

Cardiff-ish

I’ve recently got with BT after being with sky haven’t had no problems & got a better deal than I had with sky

By *alandNitaCouple
24 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

"I am on virgin it won’t let me use WiFi on fab server blocks it have to use data any ideas anyone "

Assuming that you haven't got children who you need to protect:

Sign into your virgin account, goto Account Settings, then Online Security, then switch off "Child Safe".

Cal

Post new Message to Thread