Back to The Lounge

Interviews

Jump to newest

By *enegadeM OP   Man
25 weeks ago

oxford

With a few inbound….

What are your techniques?

Do you have any good stories from interviews? Nightmares?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
25 weeks ago

Answer every question with a question.

At some point later in the interview, announce "you've got the job", shake their hands, and leave.

Wait patiently for the offer to arrive.

By *rHotNottsMan
25 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"With a few inbound….

What are your techniques?

Do you have any good stories from interviews? Nightmares?

"

Good luck

Use STAR - Situation or Task , Actions, Results.

Remember they are looking for specific competencies. Try and determine what they are beforehand. Then use star to demonstrate you have them

If you’ve not done already do some tests on your motives , drivers Darkside bright side and development surveys. Because you will have a lot more confidence in an interview when you know your own strengths weaknesses motives drivers and you can answer form authentically without too much practice/ preparation.

One piece of advice I would give you. Most people (not all) have a low emotional adjustment under pressure. And they become their own worst enemy on hard parts of an interview like mind going blank. If this happens take a deep breath and pause and whatever you do don’t apologise, instead focus on something really positive even if not 100% relevant to the question

Good luck

By *urbo TedMan
25 weeks ago

Stansted

Sounds cliche but don't try to be something you're not. It'll get sussed out.

Do you background research first on the company so you can converse about it a bit.

Don't ask them if they are on Fab

By *ashful_at_firstMan
25 weeks ago

Canterbury

Research the company, find out a bit about the interviewer`s background (LinkedIn is great for that!), be prepared to ask questions as well as answer them - I`ve been a recruiter for 35 years so have a bit of experience with interviews!

By *orneymeMan
25 weeks ago

newcastle area

Please don’t answer a question with a question it’s very frustrating

Be on time

Be smart and clean

Have a note pad and pen

Answer the questions as much as you can

Do your homework for the role your applying for and the company your applying too

At the end of the interview you should get a chance to ask question if not just ask if you and ask some

Take proof of qualifications certificates etc

Be confident but not too over powering

Don’t turn up very early 5-10 minutes before and say you didn’t want to

Be late in traffic or what ever

When leaving shAke their hands and say you hope your application is successful because you are very excited to start this new role if you are accepted for it

By *urbo TedMan
25 weeks ago

Stansted

"Research the company, find out a bit about the interviewer`s background (LinkedIn is great for that!), be prepared to ask questions as well as answer them - I`ve been a recruiter for 35 years so have a bit of experience with interviews!"

100% this. Recent interview I did some LinkedIn research and discovered a post that the MD had put on about a particular car brand, long story short he was a big petrol head. Managed to bring this into interview and we spent more time talking about that

By *enegadeM OP   Man
25 weeks ago

oxford

Thanks one & all

By *ecky and justCouple
25 weeks ago

Godalming

Know your worth and don’t acquiesce just to appeal, it’ll look obvious to the interviewer.

By *ong-leggedblondWoman
25 weeks ago

Next Door

I have an interview today,

Thanks OP for the thread, it's got some good replies.

Good luck OP if you've got an interview

By *ot to giggleWoman
25 weeks ago

Coventry

check the job spec and know the company - look at what they are trying to find - and gear your examples to meet the criteria - relax and be yourself - and if you dont hear the question ask them to repeat, the recent interview i went to was nearly all two parts to the question and I had to ask them to repeat the 2nd part. - yea i did get the job

good luck

By *inister_SpinsterWoman
25 weeks ago

North West

I've done a lot of recruiting in my career and prepped for a lot of jobs.

My advice to you OP, be prepared by researching or knowing 4 key things.

How you fit the job and company.

Know about the company (& the interviewers)

Know about the job and how the role fits into the company.

Know wider info about the sector the company works in.

Best of luck.

Ps, take your cv and be prepared to discuss it.

By *iman2100Man
25 weeks ago

Glasgow

My 6 penny worth from interviewing is ..

It is THE job you want not A job. Too many are just looking for a source of income.

Avoid "I think this post will broaden my experience and lead to better opportunitues in the furture for me" WTF! If they wanted an apprentice they would have advertised for one.

When you answer a question keep eye contact with the interviewers. Don't mumble.

By *oulderingBearMan
25 weeks ago

Falme

I always asked the interviewer(es) "How long have you been in your current role and what is it about the job/company that motivates you?"

It's a semi-filler question while you think of a more specific question but gives you breathing time and sometimes gives you some interesting facts

I.e. The Slough Amazon distribution centre's canteen does the best chips

By *iss.Bella.Woman
25 weeks ago

North Wales

Good luck with your interviews OP the only little bit of advice I can offer you is be yourself don't wing any thing if you're not sure what they're asking, don't be afraid to ask for a little more clarity.

Also there are some brilliant answers here, which I will definitely be taking with me when I need them

By *Wman15Man
25 weeks ago

Manchester

Make absolutely sure that you know where you are going for the interview (someone coming to see me went to the wrong company site and was subsequently late)

Be very polite to the receptionist

Ask if there are any further stages in the process and what these are

If you are going through an agency be proactive and call them post interview to give feedback

Always have a good look through the company website / social media. Constantly amazed by candidates turning up for even quite senior roles and knowing nothing about the business

Think about how your skills match those required in the role and remember that no one is ever a 100% match

Most of all - be positive!

Very best of luck x

By *oodmessMan
25 weeks ago

yumsville

Well I interview terribly, near every one has been a nightmare in some way or another. It's either my honesty box shining or my nervy give us a job box getting pushed in their face.

1. For some reason I decided to take my blazer off (a no-no in most face to face), but on exiting the arm got stuck, I ended almost twirling on the spot, flailing my arm up and down, losing any sense I was in interview, heading for the door all casual. The guy behind the desk someone beat me to it as I awkwardly doubled myself out still getting dressed.

2. One was question was 'give example of implementing change, adapted to or had success with change' or something like it. My job was to do that daily basis so reeled off 10 examples in a few minutes without giving any real depth. I had some fairly senior people opposite, one said 'you did that', my answer was "do you usually ask that". His face went dead and I just fumbled through the rest knowing it'd gone to shit.

3. I remember one was going on for ages, and seemed to be interviewing for a job I hadn't applied for, so in the questions at the end when I asked about the company I got more info out of them than I should have - with them coming back with 'that's really 3rd and 4th stage information', and me saying, "there's 3rd and 4th stage interviews?".

4. I was with some MD, VP, HRD and CO, I'd travelled for a few hours so was hungry, rushed, tired. One of them asked about a qualification I had, which I explained, his reply was 'yes that's easy', to which I replied 'why have you brought me here'. It didn't go down that well, but it didn't make sense why they'd bring candidates 200miles if it were easy.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

25 weeks ago

East Sussex

My most recent interview was my nightmare.

It became clear that I was woefully unsuited for the position and therefore not so much under prepared as not prepared at all. Once it got underway I couldn't understand why they'd invited me for interview. Instead of saying that I continued with it like an idiot . At every step it would have been less humiliating to just say "it seems I'm not the person you're looking for" and leave with my dignity intact. But no, I soldiered on giving answers to questions that I really had not much idea about, completing or rather not completing an assessment requiring skills I either didn't have or had very basic knowledge of, spilling a glass of water all over the desk... I'm sweating thinking about it. The only good thing was it was near Christmas and they put a tin of Cadbury's roses near me and said help yourself. .

When I got back to my office and told the colleagues who knew I was going about it of course they all roared with laughter and to be fair so did I, it was that or cry.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

25 weeks ago

East Sussex

^^ think that poor taxi driver who was accidentally interviewed on telly instead of a politician

By *enegadeM OP   Man
25 weeks ago

oxford

"I have an interview today,

Thanks OP for the thread, it's got some good replies.

Good luck OP if you've got an interview "

Good luck sexy lady

By *enegadeM OP   Man
25 weeks ago

oxford

"I always asked the interviewer(es) "How long have you been in your current role and what is it about the job/company that motivates you?"

It's a semi-filler question while you think of a more specific question but gives you breathing time and sometimes gives you some interesting facts

I.e. The Slough Amazon distribution centre's canteen does the best chips"

Amazon a good company then?

By *ecky and justCouple
25 weeks ago

Godalming

On my most recent interview they asked about a particular procedure in their operations exposition and how I knew I’d be suited to the role.

I explained calmly that I’d written that procedure few years back when I owned a company that worked with them and they had lifted it from my procedures documentation.

Smiles all round apart from the guy who was responsible for their procedures.

I got the role.

By *uriousscouserWoman
25 weeks ago

Wirral

Some good advice. I'd add to remember the interview is a two way thing - you're establishing whether you want to work there, for that person, in that role.

For example, most of the questions that I ask are around expectations - what would they expect me to be doing in the first 60/90 days, how will they communicate expectations and feedback on performance to me. From experience I know that's what will tell me whether I'll enjoy working for that person or whether I'll find it frustrating. Think about what you want at work, are there any red flags in the job description and what do you need to know to understand whether the role is a good fit for you?

Good luck to everyone interviewing, I hope you find a great role!

By (user no longer on site)
25 weeks ago

No show yesterday at one.

Only offering 66p more plus have to work 2 days on 2 days off.

I've applied for local jobs that drive 5 mins as petrol is not cheap

By *rHotNottsMan
25 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Some good advice. I'd add to remember the interview is a two way thing - you're establishing whether you want to work there, for that person, in that role.

For example, most of the questions that I ask are around expectations - what would they expect me to be doing in the first 60/90 days, how will they communicate expectations and feedback on performance to me. From experience I know that's what will tell me whether I'll enjoy working for that person or whether I'll find it frustrating. Think about what you want at work, are there any red flags in the job description and what do you need to know to understand whether the role is a good fit for you?

Good luck to everyone interviewing, I hope you find a great role!"

This is so true but it’s very hard to get an accurate picture of the culture and first 90 days though even from an interview. It’s kind of staged and there is no try before you buy. If they really want you they won’t tell you all the crap that’s going on !

You can tell a lot about a company by what’s in the job descriptions and objectives, a company with mature management processes usually has good job descriptions.

I always ask about sustainability and diversity as well. Good companies can articulate and communicate this it doesn’t need to be impressive they don’t need to be saving the world, but if they struggle to answer I don’t want to work for them, Because it is a red flag for so many other areas

Post new Message to Thread