Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Car Obesity

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
25 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Churchill, the Car Insurance Company, famous for it's dog called Churchill, is blaming an increased number of claims on the fact that cars have got fatter and parking spaces have stayed the same since the 70s. This means that drivers park in spaces but cannot open their doors. It's a type of car obesity. What's going on here guys. It's all over the news

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
25 weeks ago

It sounds like, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, car park spaces haven't changed but cars have

By *akedMechanicMan
25 weeks ago

Manchester

The issue is people buy cars mainly for fashion statements and not what they're actually built for and can't drive them properly.

By *ean counterMan
25 weeks ago

Kettering

Rumour has it that cases of type 2 diabetes are on the rise especially in the Range Rover, Q7, Landcruiser type of vehicle it's a lifesyle disease !!

By *eard and BoobsCouple
25 weeks ago

Portstewart

Cars keep getting bigger to add more safety features and parking spaces have been shrunken so they can fit as many vehicles as possible in any car park etc. 2 prime examples are the Austin mini vs the BMW mini and the original fiat 500 vs the current fiat 500, both are probably twice the size of the originals

By *oo..Woman
25 weeks ago

Boo's World

Shop at Costco and you'll be absolutely fine

By *lmost TouchingMan
25 weeks ago

Wherever I lay my hat.

My car identifies as a motorbike, thin and without rust.

By *wistntwirlCouple
25 weeks ago

Middle Land

Cars have got bigger and so have people. Makes for some amusement in car parks.

By *ellhungvweMan
25 weeks ago

Cheltenham

I tend to park on the edges of a car park - you know all the lazy bastards in their big cars will be trying to get as close to the entrance as they can and the idea that walking an extra 30m for oceans of space seems beyond them. Herd behaviour is an amazing thing to watch.

By *rcoupleCouple
25 weeks ago

Mid Glam

"Cars keep getting bigger to add more safety features and parking spaces have been shrunken so they can fit as many vehicles as possible in any car park etc. 2 prime examples are the Austin mini vs the BMW mini and the original fiat 500 vs the current fiat 500, both are probably twice the size of the originals "

You can in fact fit the original mini into the interior space alone of the modern mini.

The midernbonbis way safer inna crash tho - and safer in not habing the crash in thr first place.

By *uctifanoWoman
25 weeks ago

Glasgow

Car shaming!!!! Shocking

By *atchmoMan
25 weeks ago

Upminster

"I tend to park on the edges of a car park - you know all the lazy bastards in their big cars will be trying to get as close to the entrance as they can and the idea that walking an extra 30m for oceans of space seems beyond them. Herd behaviour is an amazing thing to watch."

This, absolutely this.

By *rHotNottsMan
25 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"I tend to park on the edges of a car park - you know all the lazy bastards in their big cars will be trying to get as close to the entrance as they can and the idea that walking an extra 30m for oceans of space seems beyond them. Herd behaviour is an amazing thing to watch.

This, absolutely this."

If you were really free thinking you would park out of town and get the park and ride bus in ….

25 weeks ago

"The issue is people buy cars mainly for fashion statements and not what they're actually built for and can't drive them properly. "

Nonsense

25 weeks ago

Yes, not at all easy finding a parking space when I drive to Sainsbury's in my Hummer H1

25 weeks ago

More women drivers op, well known fact women can't park. Hence more accidents.

By *eard and BoobsCouple
25 weeks ago

Portstewart

"Cars keep getting bigger to add more safety features and parking spaces have been shrunken so they can fit as many vehicles as possible in any car park etc. 2 prime examples are the Austin mini vs the BMW mini and the original fiat 500 vs the current fiat 500, both are probably twice the size of the originals

You can in fact fit the original mini into the interior space alone of the modern mini.

The midernbonbis way safer inna crash tho - and safer in not habing the crash in thr first place. "

Exactly a classic mini is small enough to escape most accidents because of the small packaging

25 weeks ago

Truth…

My daily VW transporter finds it almost impossible not to park 1” away from the drivers door of that random BMW parked over two spaces in the corner of Waitrose

By *ust RachelTV/TS
25 weeks ago

Horsham

It is a nightmare parking my military Humvee, it is a tight squeeze in a parking space as it is just over 7 ft wide.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
25 weeks ago

Central

Unfortunatelyz it's not just a problem with parking spaces, it's also an issue when driving, as road space is limited as well as larger vehicles causing increased emissions and pollution.

Vehicles overtaking pedestrians, cyclists etc, in smaller roads can cause more accidents and damage, with increased vehicle widths.

Manufacturers have been increasing sizes, a couple of inches every couple of years. Probably only increased road use taxes, etc will discourage purchases. Paris has introduced higher parking charges for larger cars.

By *ongue tastikMan
25 weeks ago

Chorley

Just park in disabled like everybody else

By *inky_couple2020Couple
25 weeks ago

North West

"Just park in disabled like everybody else"

No. Don't. Thanks.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
25 weeks ago

Chelmsford

"Just park in disabled like everybody else

No. Don't. Thanks. "

Not you again...

By *nnCeeWoman
25 weeks ago

East of Eden, West of Hell

I am guilty of having a bit of a chonk of a motor... (although it's hybrid, so lower emissions)

I can park it in any space, but then, as you've said, often unable to get out of it, as there is then no room left to open the door and for me to squeeze out - especially if the cars in the spaces alongside haven't been parked well.

I do, however, have a 'trick'... I am able to remotely park it - I added on the tech pack, and can drive/reverse in/out of a parking space. (Only able to drive forward/back, its not smart enough to parallel park, luckily I can do that without needing assistance!)

Darned helpful at work, where the spaces are super tight, or when you get back to the car in the supermarket and someone has parked giving you 2cm to get in!

Doesn't half freak people out though, when you stand next to it and it moves all by itself!!

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
25 weeks ago

Chelmsford

"I am guilty of having a bit of a chonk of a motor... (although it's hybrid, so lower emissions)

I can park it in any space, but then, as you've said, often unable to get out of it, as there is then no room left to open the door and for me to squeeze out - especially if the cars in the spaces alongside haven't been parked well.

I do, however, have a 'trick'... I am able to remotely park it - I added on the tech pack, and can drive/reverse in/out of a parking space. (Only able to drive forward/back, its not smart enough to parallel park, luckily I can do that without needing assistance!)

Darned helpful at work, where the spaces are super tight, or when you get back to the car in the supermarket and someone has parked giving you 2cm to get in!

Doesn't half freak people out though, when you stand next to it and it moves all by itself!! "

What Witchcraft is this ?

By *afe and shavenCouple
25 weeks ago

Ipswich

Yes, cars have certainly got bigger in the past 20 - 30 years but most car parking spaces have stayed the same. Not just spaces but home garages as well, It drives me nuts, architects should make garages just a tad wider, but they don't. It's all about getting as much as possible in the land available.

By *endalshaggersCouple
25 weeks ago

Kendal

Cars have certainly got bigger and in some cases are too big for the roads - coupled with people who buy them and simply cannot drive a vehicle of that size!

By *J_OuizziCouple
25 weeks ago

Nottingham

"It drives me nuts, architects should make garages just a tad wider, but they don't. It's all about getting as much as possible in the land available."

And why should that space be given over to a lump of metal that does nothing but take up space 90% of the time?

Cars have grown larger because car manufacturers know that people will pay more, hence a bigger profit margin.

Why should we all suffer more dead space in terms of larger parking spaces, wider roads, bigger garages just to help motor companies make more money?

By *ot to giggleWoman
25 weeks ago

Coventry

Garages are just extra storage space! That or you park in them and crawl out the boot!

By *CLM87Woman
25 weeks ago

Derbyshire

Cars are definitely bigger with all the built in safety features.

A 1980s mk2 golf is the same size as a 2000s vw polo.

Spaces haven't changed and slightly off subject... the new electric cars and hybrids weigh alot more than traditional cars.

This means that multistory car parks aren't designed with the additional weight for each car.

On top of this, it means that the roads aren't designed for the additional weight on cars.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
25 weeks ago

Central

"Just park in disabled like everybody else"

Never do that!

By *ophieslutTV/TS
25 weeks ago

Central

"Cars are definitely bigger with all the built in safety features.

A 1980s mk2 golf is the same size as a 2000s vw polo.

Spaces haven't changed and slightly off subject... the new electric cars and hybrids weigh alot more than traditional cars.

This means that multistory car parks aren't designed with the additional weight for each car.

On top of this, it means that the roads aren't designed for the additional weight on cars. "

Average car sizes have increased as more people have been buying SUVs and bigger cars, to the detriment of all. We need a shift in attitudes viewing them as less socially acceptable and responsible

By *ohn 66Man
25 weeks ago

Birmingham

"I am guilty of having a bit of a chonk of a motor... (although it's hybrid, so lower emissions)

Doesn't half freak people out though, when you stand next to it and it moves all by itself!! "

And how does that work for the person you've parked next to? Have you considered them at all??

By *annyDanielleMan
25 weeks ago

Street, Somerset

Car manufacturers clearly haven't thought this one through.

By *J_OuizziCouple
25 weeks ago

Nottingham

"Car manufacturers clearly haven't thought this one through. "

Car manufacturers clearly expect the tax payer to cough up for changes to parking spaces, car parks etc to accommodate their increased profit. No thanks.

By *afe and shavenCouple
25 weeks ago

Ipswich

"It drives me nuts, architects should make garages just a tad wider, but they don't. It's all about getting as much as possible in the land available.

And why should that space be given over to a lump of metal that does nothing but take up space 90% of the time?

Cars have grown larger because car manufacturers know that people will pay more, hence a bigger profit margin.

Why should we all suffer more dead space in terms of larger parking spaces, wider roads, bigger garages just to help motor companies make more money?"

I think that you are wrong about car companies. Like everyone else, they supply a demand. The demand is customer lead, people want larger cars today than the 1960's tiny things.

By *J_OuizziCouple
25 weeks ago

Nottingham

"It drives me nuts, architects should make garages just a tad wider, but they don't. It's all about getting as much as possible in the land available.

Why should we all suffer more dead space in terms of larger parking spaces, wider roads, bigger garages just to help motor companies make more money?

I think that you are wrong about car companies. Like everyone else, they supply a demand. The demand is customer lead, people want larger cars today than the 1960's tiny things."

Actually car manufacturers started to offer bigger models with the switch to EVs. It allowed them to increase their margins and recoup some of the investment they had made in EV tech.

There was no demand for it. They just stopped selling "normal" sized cars.

I have an estate car. It is far more practical in terms of carrying capacity than friends cars that are bigger, more modern vehicles.

But car makers are phasing them out because they mean less profit.

By *ose-tinted GlassesMan
25 weeks ago

Glasgow

"I think that you are wrong about car companies. Like everyone else, they supply a demand. The demand is customer lead, people want larger cars today than the 1960's tiny things."

You don’t think manufacturers influence demand? Better tell the entire advertising, marketing and branding industry to shut up shop then.

By *escourtesMan
25 weeks ago

hereford

Put them on a strict diet and walk them more often

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
25 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

I think that you are wrong about car companies. Like everyone else, they supply a demand. The demand is customer lead, people want larger cars today than the 1960's tiny things."

I think you have been deceived.

Most motor car manufacturers are planning and developing new models many years in advance, based on projections of what they think the market will be, they then sell that belief to the consumer and hey presto, we’ve got just what you want right here sir.

By *afe and shavenCouple
25 weeks ago

Ipswich

I think that you are wrong about car companies. Like everyone else, they supply a demand. The demand is customer lead, people want larger cars today than the 1960's tiny things.

I think you have been deceived.

Most motor car manufacturers are planning and developing new models many years in advance, based on projections of what they think the market will be, they then sell that belief to the consumer and hey presto, we’ve got just what you want right here sir. "

The first part of what you say is quite correct. New models are planned years ahead based on what they think the market will be. The market, (demand) will lead what the manufacturers will produce. Think of it this way, they (the car makers) will not produce anything on guess work. They will analyse the market very carefully and study trends for the years ahead. Then they supply that demand. It takes years and huge investment to produce a new model so why wouldn't they find out what the consumers want? It makes perfect sense. So, the consumers want bigger cars. Take the Fiesta for example. When that little car was first produced it was tiny but it sold millions and was a best seller. Then the next model was larger but still sold enough to keep it in the top three best selling cars in the UK and Europe. Then they did it again, enlarged again but still it sold. Driven by the market place.

So, cars are getting bigger because we want them. Spaces/garages have remained the same purely because planners and property developers will get as much as possible out of limited space. Simple, it's a no brainer.

By *nnCeeWoman
25 weeks ago

"What Witchcraft is this ?"

Hyundai Tucson... look it up

By *2000ManMan
25 weeks ago

Worthing

"The issue is people buy cars mainly for fashion statements and not what they're actually built for and can't drive them properly. "

Agree the massive suv that are pushed in adverts seem to support this fact.

By *nnCeeWoman
25 weeks ago

Doesn't half freak people out though, when you stand next to it and it moves all by itself!!

And how does that work for the person you've parked next to? Have you considered them at all??"

Absolutely. I will never park too close to the driver's side. Passengers can always get into the car once its been moved. Don't confuse me with the arseh*les who park like they own the car park

Post new Message to Thread