Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Youngish parents

Jump to newest

By *ny1local OP   Man
26 weeks ago

READING

Please, just a request from this old fart. I see so many mums and dads doing the school run, and they're on the phone..unless you're expecting something important please switch the phone off and interact with your kids, talk to them about the beautiful blossom on trees, unusual cloud formations, numpty driving, anything. Just talk to your kids for that few minutes it takes to and from school.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oveToPlay.Couple
26 weeks ago

Yorkshire

I'm not a youngish parent but to be fair the majority of my child's life is on my phone,

School meetings

Trips

Parent chat groups

Organising social events for my kids

Answering many emails from school about after school clubs etc etc

As I was taking my kids to school i was also having to organise their social life and school life in the 15 minutes I had before I started driving to work.

BUT After school they had my full attention

Just trying to show that what you may be seeing is a parent trying to juggle a hundred things in a short space of time

It doesn't necessarily mean that they don't interact or show their kids the world also

S xx

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

26 weeks ago

East Sussex

You're seeing a snapshot in the life of these people. It doesn't mean they don't interact with each other

By *uri00620Woman
26 weeks ago

Croydon

People lives are on the phone appointments ect so what you may be seeing is just that, as said before a snapshot of very busy people.

However, phones are often a replacement for social interactions and there's been many threads about this. I tire a little when parents of teenagers are on their phones when I'm speaking to them at parent's evening at 730pm about their child when my toddler is still sat at a childminders and won't get home until 930pm after a 14 hr day. I find it really bad manners and sad that for one evening in the school year for an hour and a half phones can't be left aside.

By *oveToPlay.Couple
26 weeks ago

Yorkshire

"People lives are on the phone appointments ect so what you may be seeing is just that, as said before a snapshot of very busy people.

However, phones are often a replacement for social interactions and there's been many threads about this. I tire a little when parents of teenagers are on their phones when I'm speaking to them at parent's evening at 730pm about their child when my toddler is still sat at a childminders and won't get home until 930pm after a 14 hr day. I find it really bad manners and sad that for one evening in the school year for an hour and a half phones can't be left aside.

"

Completely agree with this- it is bad manners for one but also smacks of ignorance. It must be really hard being a teacher at times.

S xxx

By *ny1local OP   Man
26 weeks ago

READING

"People lives are on the phone appointments ect so what you may be seeing is just that, as said before a snapshot of very busy people.

Completely agree with this- it is bad manners for one but also smacks of ignorance. It must be really hard being a teacher at times.

S xxx"

I agree, the point I'm trying (maybe badly)to make, is just interact with your kids for that short space of time in the school run.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
26 weeks ago

ashford

Reminds me of when I walked my kids to school we used to play I spy along the way! One time my now 44 year old said something beginning with f I tried guessing all way couldn't get it it was phone box lol! x

By *hoirCouple
26 weeks ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

I don't have time to faff about on my phone lol, nine times out of ten getting in on time brings it down to the wire

P

By *ornucopiaMan
26 weeks ago

Bexley

A while back I coined the word 'permaphonic'.

Sums up a lot of people and their lives nowadays.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
26 weeks ago

North West

We have to drive to school and it's pretty much impossible to phone and wheelchair simultaneously. My daughter reads me a story while we drive, most mornings, and/or we sing songs from the radio or look at foundation stones on the houses/park and try to remember who was king or queen then. Stuff like that. I still use my phone lots though, just not on the school run. I do try to avoid using it when we're together.

By (user no longer on site)
26 weeks ago

Thank goodness the school run days are now mostly behind me. I work full time when I am doing school pickups I am sneaking out between meetings and dealing with emails on my phone.

I also do it to deliberately avoid speaking to other school mums especially the pta ones

By *WB85Man
26 weeks ago

Staffordshire

I hate to admit that I'm really bad for this. I run my own business and often have a phone stuck to my ear at such moments.

By *ansoffateMan
26 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

Bad advice. I did that now they are adults and won't leave.

By *eordieJeansCouple
26 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

What if I’m FaceTiming said children on their iPads? It’s probably the only way I’d get any sense out of them anyway.

By *educing_EmCouple
26 weeks ago

Tipperary

"Bad advice. I did that now they are adults and won't leave."

By *ny1local OP   Man
26 weeks ago

READING

"Reminds me of when I walked my kids to school we used to play I spy along the way! One time my now 44 year old said something beginning with f I tried guessing all way couldn't get it it was phone box lol! x"
hilarious, but it's just the sort of interaction with the kids I'm thinking of.

Post new Message to Thread