Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Home grown food

Jump to newest

By *layfullsam OP   Man
26 weeks ago

Solihull

Anyone grow vegetables, fruit, chillis etc

Describe your little peace of heaven (whether it be an allotment or a chilli plant on a shelf)

What are you growing this year

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *he turned me GreyCouple
26 weeks ago

Warwick and Coventry

"Anyone grow vegetables, fruit, chillis etc

Describe your little peace of heaven (whether it be an allotment or a chilli plant on a shelf)

What are you growing this year"

I know a few with a attic garden, growing cheese

Mr

By *alcon77Man
26 weeks ago

under the sun & the moon

[Removed by poster at 06/04/24 13:53:38]

By *agpie SaluteMan
26 weeks ago

bridgwater

Herbs are the thing I grow the most. Got some parsley, rosemary, oregano, mint and thyme all doing really well at the moment.

Planted some courgette seeds the other day, but they don't seem to want to germinate the lazy sods.

By *alcon77Man
26 weeks ago

under the sun & the moon

Got potatoes going.

And carrots, sweetcorn, beetroot & tomatoes all sprouting from seed.

I've got strawberry seeds on the go too, but nothing seems to be happening with them..

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

26 weeks ago

East Sussex

We've got three apple trees, plum, pear and cherry. I've got courgettes, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, aubergines, runner beans, spring onions etc coming along in the green house. The strawberry and raspberries seem to have all died off . There are quite a few herbs and I've forgotten what they are except the parsley

By *layfullsam OP   Man
26 weeks ago

Solihull

Very nice sanctuary by the sound of it

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

26 weeks ago

East Sussex

"Very nice sanctuary by the sound of it "

Ours? It sounds better than it looks

By *layfullsam OP   Man
26 weeks ago

Solihull

"Very nice sanctuary by the sound of it

Ours? It sounds better than it looks "

Lol but we don’t know that

By *mmaleiaWoman
26 weeks ago

East Northamptonshire

Broad beans, peas, shallots, onions, leeks, squash, yellow courgette, beetroot & maybe a pumpkin or 2

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

26 weeks ago

East Sussex

"Very nice sanctuary by the sound of it

Ours? It sounds better than it looks

Lol but we don’t know that "

it's all smoke and mirrors

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

26 weeks ago

East Sussex

"Broad beans, peas, shallots, onions, leeks, squash, yellow courgette, beetroot & maybe a pumpkin or 2"

O now I've put some giant pumpkin seeds in.

By *ou only live onceMan
26 weeks ago

London

No, not me. But I used to love pottering around my Grandma's greenhouse and veg patch with her as a child so thank you for the trip down memory lane.

By *entlemanFoxMan
26 weeks ago

North East / London

Planting potatoes and carrots this weekend in tubs.

Last year I planted too late and the potatoes were affected by blight, so hopefully this year will turn out better

By *obilebottomMan
26 weeks ago

All over

Nothing like it. Used to do it a lot. Not recently. Will do again sometime.

By *nplainsight200Man
26 weeks ago

portsmotuh

Try to grow as many of my veg as I can plus some sheep and have just sent the 2 cows off to come back freezer ready

By *ickshawedCouple
26 weeks ago

Wolverhampton

We haven't planted any seeds yet, but we do still have a mini apple tree, gooseberry bushes, redcurrants, blueberries and strawberries. We always end up with more gooseberries and redcurrants than we know what to do with, and the birds always steal all the blueberries

By *layfullsam OP   Man
26 weeks ago

Solihull

"No, not me. But I used to love pottering around my Grandma's greenhouse and veg patch with her as a child so thank you for the trip down memory lane."

Absolutely my pleasure

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

26 weeks ago

East Sussex

Mr N just reminded me about the grape vine. We make gallons of wine every year from it

By *layfullsam OP   Man
26 weeks ago

Solihull

"Mr N just reminded me about the grape vine. We make gallons of wine every year from it"

Lol your not millionaires are you with a vineyard

By *alcon77Man
26 weeks ago

under the sun & the moon

After reading these, I forgot I have 2 apple trees. One variety gives a particularly high yield..rains apples for a few months.

By *entlemanFoxMan
26 weeks ago

North East / London

"Mr N just reminded me about the grape vine. We make gallons of wine every year from it"

By *ickshawedCouple
26 weeks ago

Wolverhampton

My dad had a grape vine for a few years when I was little. We got tiny grapes once, but not good enough to do anything with. He got rid of it eventually. What's your secret?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

26 weeks ago

East Sussex

"Mr N just reminded me about the grape vine. We make gallons of wine every year from it

Lol your not millionaires are you with a vineyard "

I wish. We did have to buy a grape press though

By *layfullsam OP   Man
26 weeks ago

Solihull

"Mr N just reminded me about the grape vine. We make gallons of wine every year from it

I wish. We did have to buy a grape press though "

Lol couldn’t you stomp on them with bare feet

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

26 weeks ago

East Sussex

My dad had a grape vine for a few years when I was little. We got tiny grapes once, but not good enough to do anything with. He got rid of it eventually. What's your secret? "

I wish I knew. Our garden does seem to have a microclimate all of its own. We bought a vine around five years ago put it in the ground to grow over the pergola and just left it. We do give it a bucket if water every day in the summer. Last year we got around 4/500 large bunches and made around 12 gallons of wine. The left over grapes were composted. We normally eat a load but they weren't sweet enough last year.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

26 weeks ago

East Sussex

"

We've also had a go at Pineau de Chatente

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

26 weeks ago

East Sussex

I wish. We did have to buy a grape press though

Lol couldn’t you stomp on them with bare feet "

It nearly came too that.

By *ickshawedCouple
26 weeks ago

Wolverhampton

I forgot the blackcurrants. I use them to make icecream

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

26 weeks ago

East Sussex

"We haven't planted any seeds yet, but we do still have a mini apple tree, gooseberry bushes, redcurrants, blueberries and strawberries. We always end up with more gooseberries and redcurrants than we know what to do with, and the birds always steal all the blueberries "

You're lucky to be able to grow blueberries I've never had any success

By *ickshawedCouple
26 weeks ago

Wolverhampton

"We haven't planted any seeds yet, but we do still have a mini apple tree, gooseberry bushes, redcurrants, blueberries and strawberries. We always end up with more gooseberries and redcurrants than we know what to do with, and the birds always steal all the blueberries

You're lucky to be able to grow blueberries I've never had any success "

I don't take enough care of them really. I need to feed them properly. My dad has the 2 biggest blueberry bushes ever and gets so many it's insane. The birds don't touch his, but they do eat all his gooseberries. It's odd as my gooseberries are left untouched.

By *G LanaTV/TS
26 weeks ago

Gosport

I'm waiting for a new scoby (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast) to arrive after my last one failed. I will then get my kombucha plant going again.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

26 weeks ago

East Sussex

"We haven't planted any seeds yet, but we do still have a mini apple tree, gooseberry bushes, redcurrants, blueberries and strawberries. We always end up with more gooseberries and redcurrants than we know what to do with, and the birds always steal all the blueberries

You're lucky to be able to grow blueberries I've never had any success

I don't take enough care of them really. I need to feed them properly. My dad has the 2 biggest blueberry bushes ever and gets so many it's insane. The birds don't touch his, but they do eat all his gooseberries. It's odd as my gooseberries are left untouched."

The birds are all our figs last year (another thing I'd forgotten about ). They literally left the outer skin on the tree. Other years they haven't touched them.

By *entlemanFoxMan
26 weeks ago

North East / London

"

The birds don't touch his, but they do eat all his gooseberries. It's odd as my gooseberries are left untouched."

Bleurrgh - gooseberries devil plant

By *amsevenMan
26 weeks ago

cork

Have onions garlic salads and spinach in the tunnel with leeks onions tomatoes beetroot and spinach and salads in trays ready to go in the ground if it ever stops raining. Have 2 apples trees also which are delicious and red and black currants bushed. Nom

By *nsatiable Nymph 2024Woman
26 weeks ago

La La Land

We have gooseberries, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries starting to show signs of life

We used to grow a lot of our own veg (potatoes, leeks, beetroot, carrots, onions, French beans, runner beans, broad beans, kale and sweetcorn), but we moved house and we haven't got an allotment, yet!

gardening

Very therapeutic

By *hrimper36Couple
26 weeks ago

Central France dept 36

Just peeping the veg patch now but we will have Navets onions of different colors potatoes French beans butternut carrots courgettes melon strawberries figs and assorted herbs and eggs from the duck goose and chickens.

Country living is great.

T

By *sGivesWoodWoman
26 weeks ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

I always grow herbs and strawberries, usually tomatoes too. Planning on gradually growing more as I get the garden sorted out.

By *9alMan
26 weeks ago

Bridgend

I have a very small back yard but inherited a grape vine , planted an apple tree a couple of years back , have mint , runner beans & radishes frequently

By *amierebelMan
26 weeks ago

nae danger.

I planted quite a lot a good few weeks back and completely forgotten what more than half them are but I know there was thyme, a chocolate pepper and carrots for sure,

wee dude was excited for plotting the chocolate pepper think he'll be disappointed once it's grown

By (user no longer on site)
26 weeks ago

Grow a load here: Tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, broccoli, kale, lettuce, jalapeños, cabbage, corn, onions, pumpkins, watermelon (trying for the 1st time this year), strawberries, raspberries, blueberry’s and have herbs and a few apple trees too.

Nothing like grabbing your own food fresh from the garden

By *ophieslutTV/TS
26 weeks ago

Central

I'm going smaller this year, I think. Perhaps just tomatoes, runner beans and herbs.

By *idnight RamblerMan
26 weeks ago

Pershore

I'm a keen allotmenter. Love the growing cycle and satisfaction of self-grown food. A fair few failures along the way mind.

By *layfullsam OP   Man
25 weeks ago

Solihull

"I'm a keen allotmenter. Love the growing cycle and satisfaction of self-grown food. A fair few failures along the way mind."

No such thing as failures just lessons

By *ose-tinted GlassesMan
25 weeks ago

Glasgow

We grow a *lot* of stuff.

It’s early in the year yet, but I’m already harvesting wild garlic, parsley, chives, lovage and asparagus.

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
25 weeks ago

Den of Iniquity

I remember my Mum used to grow a particular herb in our back garden

By *he turned me GreyCouple
25 weeks ago

Warwick and Coventry

"I remember my Mum used to grow a particular herb in our back garden "

Did she hug trees n all Grumps

Mr

By *ickshawedCouple
25 weeks ago

Wolverhampton

"

The birds don't touch his, but they do eat all his gooseberries. It's odd as my gooseberries are left untouched.

Bleurrgh - gooseberries devil plant"

I love them. Especially slightly unripe when still really tart

By *enrietteandSamCouple
25 weeks ago

Staffordshire

"

The birds don't touch his, but they do eat all his gooseberries. It's odd as my gooseberries are left untouched.

Bleurrgh - gooseberries devil plant

I love them. Especially slightly unripe when still really tart "

Your poor anus.

By *eliWoman
25 weeks ago

"We grow a *lot* of stuff.

It’s early in the year yet, but I’m already harvesting wild garlic, parsley, chives, lovage and asparagus. "

Yay! Scotland has finally caught up and you can bask in the gloriousness of wild garlic.

My idea of heaven would be my grandparents land. It's beautiful. I lived there for six years - there were plum and apple trees. Various herbs in the herb garden. We created a veg patch during my first month there and would grow runner beans, courgettes, potatoes, a myriad of things. My grandma taught me how to pluck and prepare pheasant, when sloes were ready, all the things a good country girl should know. :D

I want to start growing things again but I like the wild cottage garden look too much (yay bees and laziness).

By *ose-tinted GlassesMan
25 weeks ago

Glasgow

"Yay! Scotland has finally caught up and you can bask in the gloriousness of wild garlic."

Yep! I’ve made focaccia filled with wild garlic pesto, and I’ve been tearing and scattering handfuls of leaves over chicken thighs with lemon and potatoes. It’s glorious stuff.

By *midnight-Woman
25 weeks ago

I used to have an allotment, but it was a lot of work and i could never keep up though the gluts of produce.

Now i tend to focus on globe artichokes, raspberries, strawberries, peas, rocket, courgettes, tomatoes, rhubarb + herbs (parsley, basil, rosemary, chives, thyme +mint). Sometimes i grow potatoes (pink fir apple, or Charlotte)

I also grow edible flowers for salads - viola, pansies, nasturtiums etc

By *midnight-Woman
25 weeks ago

Oh yeah beetroots too - my favourites!!

By *othicslaveCouple
25 weeks ago

Norfolk

We grow alot all year round got polytunnel, small greenhouse good size allotment I freeze and pickle alot so last all year round

By *ore_Please81Woman
25 weeks ago

Edinburgh

Don’t gown as not green fingered but forage daily for wild plants and fungi

Post new Message to Thread