Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Dungeons and dragons

Jump to newest

By *ittle miss sunshine OP   Woman
26 weeks ago

south sheilds

So my friend is trying to explain how to play I still can’t understand what the f I’m supposed to do and fail to see the thrill they say that I Woulf make a good Druid it sounds complicated and I don’t understand the rules of the game

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iviTV/TS
26 weeks ago

London

I've played this with friends. In my experience if you're just giving it a try don't worry about learning all the rules, it'll mostly sort itself out if you just describe what you're trying to do.

The rules are a lot at first, simpler for experienced friends to just help you along. It's more about the banter anyway.

Just come up with a few fun character traits (they're flirty, they tell bad jokes, they drink a lot etc.) and have it can be good silly fun to play with the right people.

I've seen quite a few kinky versions out there nowadays haha

By *BootyfulDayWoman
26 weeks ago

My ex was a dnd master and I remember all the work he put into creating storylines! It looked like a lot of fun but I didn’t have time to commit to it on the level that his group did so didn’t partake but I would be super interested in doing it some time I agree with the above in that just focus on creating a fun character and I’m sure the rules will be made more clearer when the game progresses

By (user no longer on site)
26 weeks ago

Go on YouTube and watch someone play a game, that's probably a good way to get the gist of it.

I don't really play much but if you're not running a game then you don't really need to know all the rules imo, you just need a friendly DM and a group that are happy to show you the ropes.

By *uncouple153Couple
26 weeks ago

Abergavenny

I have DMd many games ask for a prerolled character and most DMs will teach as you play x

By *r_reusMan
26 weeks ago

Coventry

I've never been into playing these geeky games (not meant as an insult) but do like the characters and stories

By *il.E.lickurclioteMan
26 weeks ago

Derby

Fell off the bed when I saw this post OP, D&D on fab!!

Must be the dice.

Similar to what the other posters have said the basic rules are simple. Everything works on 'roll a d20, add your skill ' did the final number get higher than what the DM wanted. They are the storyteller who gets to set out what your character can do. As a druid, you get to be all natural and elemental, talk to plants, yep, summon a cure little fire elemental to burn your enemies yep. Shapechange into a wolf, also yep.

Played since I was 8 so drop me a line if you have any questions

Coyote

26 weeks ago

south sheilds

"My ex was a dnd master and I remember all the work he put into creating storylines! It looked like a lot of fun but I didn’t have time to commit to it on the level that his group did so didn’t partake but I would be super interested in doing it some time I agree with the above in that just focus on creating a fun character and I’m sure the rules will be made more clearer when the game progresses "

My friend is a dungeon master to. He’s created me a character and it’s pretty awesome. But when he first told me he was a dungeon master that’s not what I was expecting

By *avinaTVTV/TS
26 weeks ago

Transsexual Transylvania

The first time I played, at uni in 1988, I spent 2 hours asking what was going on and not knowing what to do. The society DM then ran a beginner's session on the following weekend - 8 hour play session. I was hooked.

It gets better, easier and more understandable the more you play. Dont try to understand all the rules at first. Start with a physical character like a fighter or thief type, which are easier to grasp and don't require you to know what and when to use spells.

You'll get it, just don't expect to get it all at once.

By *avinaTVTV/TS
26 weeks ago

Transsexual Transylvania

You'll be unsurprised to hear that I've always tended to play female characters.

By *oubleswing2019Man
26 weeks ago

Colchester

"So my friend is trying to explain how to play I still can’t understand what the f I’m supposed to do and fail to see the thrill they say that I Woulf make a good Druid it sounds complicated and I don’t understand the rules of the game"

Think of it like being an actor. You are "someone else" in a story. Funnily enough I play a Druid in a game. In the game, my Druid loves plants and nature, and animals especially. So I adopt that persona. In real life, I don't like animals and I'm not terribly fond of nature either. The point is, you are attempting to be something you are not in real life and to think like them and act like them.

The rules may seem complicated but 5th Edition is quite straightforward in that you roll a dice, add a number to it and you either succeed or fail.

Failing isn't always bad...it challenges you to find another way and use your wits.

26 weeks ago

south sheilds

"So my friend is trying to explain how to play I still can’t understand what the f I’m supposed to do and fail to see the thrill they say that I Woulf make a good Druid it sounds complicated and I don’t understand the rules of the game

Think of it like being an actor. You are "someone else" in a story. Funnily enough I play a Druid in a game. In the game, my Druid loves plants and nature, and animals especially. So I adopt that persona. In real life, I don't like animals and I'm not terribly fond of nature either. The point is, you are attempting to be something you are not in real life and to think like them and act like them.

The rules may seem complicated but 5th Edition is quite straightforward in that you roll a dice, add a number to it and you either succeed or fail.

Failing isn't always bad...it challenges you to find another way and use your wits."

But I am that type of person in real life

I’m a witch who uses natriuretic to her advantage so it kinda fits well with what he’s created for me

By *oubleswing2019Man
25 weeks ago

Colchester

"

I’m a witch who uses natriuretic to her advantage so it kinda fits well with what he’s created for me"

It sounds like the character is going to fit you well like a glove ! I think you're going to have a blast

By (user no longer on site)
25 weeks ago

It’s roleplaying. It’s pretending to be someone else and act a ordingly to how your character would be, rather than what you would do etc.

I’ve got a few characters I play. Ones a rogue, who found religion. He still kills and steals reluctanty because he’s good at it, but feels bad and prays for forgiveness.

I also play a cleric, who’s selfish and thinks you should be able to look after yourself first. So she reluctantly heals people. normally just before they are going to die, or she lets them die to teach them a lesson.

25 weeks ago

south sheilds

"

I’m a witch who uses natriuretic to her advantage so it kinda fits well with what he’s created for me

It sounds like the character is going to fit you well like a glove ! I think you're going to have a blast "

He knows me very well (see my other post about ldr )

Post new Message to Thread