Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Wild Boar in Scotland

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
26 weeks ago

Chelmsford

A fabber called Chris, has alerted Tom to this thread. Chris is from Warrington, which is a place on the River Mersey made famous by the song, 'Ferry, Across the Mersey' which was written by the little known Gerry Marsden from Gerry and the Pacemakers, who was very much a one hit wonder. Wild Boar are those that live freely in the environment and sometimes have been deliberately released from farms by these eco and re-wilder types. They have bred with other escaped domesticate species such as the pink pig which farmers harvest as bacon.They are heavy buggers and are known to attack. Are there any fabbers with first hand experience of these buggers either when out walking or even eating the wild boar...

How dangerous are these buggers?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icolerobbieCouple
26 weeks ago

walsall

Wow Tom, what an opener!

These boar need to be dealt with before someone gets hurt! I for one will not be going to Scotland, which is a place made famous by the historical inaccuracies of a film starring the Australian, Mel Gibson. And deep fried bars bars.

By *ough75Man
26 weeks ago

edinburgh/bakewell/derby

Very few actual boar around mostly feral pigs

If the are cornered or feel trapped they will charge at people but very rarely

World wide about 4 people a year die as a result of wild boar attacks

So twice a likely to die as using a vending machine

By *ornucopiaMan
26 weeks ago

Bexley

One of the most dangerous varieties is the crashing bore!

By *icolerobbieCouple
26 weeks ago

walsall

"One of the most dangerous varieties is the crashing bore!"

From where do they hail?

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
26 weeks ago

Chelmsford

"Wow Tom, what an opener!

These boar need to be dealt with before someone gets hurt! I for one will not be going to Scotland, which is a place made famous by the historical inaccuracies of a film starring the Australian, Mel Gibson. And deep fried bars bars."

They sell deep fried mars bars in a chippy on Moulsham Street in Chelmsford.. but to be fair you can pretty much buy anything on Moulsham Street

By *ild_oatsMan
26 weeks ago

the land of saints & sinners

The Forest of Dean has the largest population of Wild Boar in the Uk after escaping from a farm in the 1990’s. The number is estimated to be around 400

It’s quite common to see them there.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
26 weeks ago

Chelmsford

"The Forest of Dean has the largest population of Wild Boar in the Uk after escaping from a farm in the 1990’s. The number is estimated to be around 400

"

Is it best to run or stand still..

By *rthur WrightusMan
26 weeks ago

Round the Bend

I saw an article about the Severn bore a few weeks ago

By *icolerobbieCouple
26 weeks ago

walsall

Yeah, and pigs might surf!

By *hriscooperMan
26 weeks ago

Warrington

Wow.. I don't think I've been mentioned in an opener before.. I feel all fuzzy and warm inside.

I go up for a 5 day hike in the Highlands on Saturday... I have sharpened ones knife and it shall be getting attached to a solid piece of wood so I can reenact the scene from rambo to supply myself with a hefty bounty of pig..

If I don't post after Saturday, you bugger got me first and gave me a death worse than being buggered by Big Harold. So I'll donate my body to science, apart from my back end as that will be in pieces and akin to a wizards cuff. Haha

All joking aside, only 4 may get killed by them a year, but quite alot get severely injured as they can be seriously aggressive.

I wonder if I can train one to search for truffles like Nicholas Cage did in that film... Hmmmm

By *ot to giggleWoman
26 weeks ago

Coventry

I think i met a few !

By (user no longer on site)
26 weeks ago

"A fabber called Chris, has alerted Tom to this thread. Chris is from Warrington, which is a place on the River Mersey made famous by the song, 'Ferry, Across the Mersey' which was written by the little known Gerry Marsden from Gerry and the Pacemakers, who was very much a one hit wonder. Wild Boar are those that live freely in the environment and sometimes have been deliberately released from farms by these eco and re-wilder types. They have bred with other escaped domesticate species such as the pink pig which farmers harvest as bacon.They are heavy buggers and are known to attack. Are there any fabbers with first hand experience of these buggers either when out walking or even eating the wild boar...

How dangerous are these buggers? "

Wild boar steak..yum

By *ild_oatsMan
26 weeks ago

"The Forest of Dean has the largest population of Wild Boar in the Uk after escaping from a farm in the 1990’s. The number is estimated to be around 400

Is it best to run or stand still.. "

It’s usually best to stand still a Sow maybe provoked into a mock charge if it feels it or its piglets are threatened. Most often they will move off.

Though dog walkers should keep their dogs under close control as rare as it is some dogs have been attacked, seriously injured or killed by Sows defending their litter of piglets….

By *hriscooperMan
26 weeks ago

Warrington

Is that the cousin to the serious bore who just takes about reality TV and followers?

By *lik and PaulCouple
26 weeks ago

Flagrante

Waiting for the engineers to mention thrust bore.

By *icolerobbieCouple
26 weeks ago

walsall

"Wow.. I don't think I've been mentioned in an opener before.. I feel all fuzzy and warm inside.

I go up for a 5 day hike in the Highlands on Saturday... I have sharpened ones knife and it shall be getting attached to a solid piece of wood so I can reenact the scene from rambo to supply myself with a hefty bounty of pig..

If I don't post after Saturday, you bugger got me first and gave me a death worse than being buggered by Big Harold. So I'll donate my body to science, apart from my back end as that will be in pieces and akin to a wizards cuff. Haha

All joking aside, only 4 may get killed by them a year, but quite alot get severely injured as they can be seriously aggressive.

I wonder if I can train one to search for truffles like Nicholas Cage did in that film... Hmmmm "

You look like one of those adventuring types Chris.

Good luck with your Scottish quest and may Mel Gibson guide you to safety through those treacherous boar infested highlands!

By *hriscooperMan
26 weeks ago

Warrington

Is it best to run or stand still..

It’s usually best to stand still a Sow maybe provoked into a mock charge if it feels it or its piglets are threatened. Most often they will move off.

Though dog walkers should keep their dogs under close control as rare as it is some dogs have been attacked, seriously injured or killed by Sows defending their litter of piglets…."

Have you seen how many litters they have per year!

Its very easy for them to get out of control. In some states in the US it's a national emergency. A bit like when Uncle Joe is searching for the stage exit or trying to dismount a bike.

It baffles me how a very good good source can become a massive nuisance but folk will pay a shed load of money for gourmet pig products.

By *hriscooperMan
26 weeks ago

Warrington

"Wow.. I don't think I've been mentioned in an opener before.. I feel all fuzzy and warm inside.

I wonder if I can train one to search for truffles like Nicholas Cage did in that film... Hmmmm

You look like one of those adventuring types Chris.

Good luck with your Scottish quest and may Mel Gibson guide you to safety through those treacherous boar infested highlands!"

Ahh thanks, I have my blue ocre face paint and skirt I mean kilt at the ready. Freeeedom..

By *aughtystaffs60Couple
26 weeks ago

Staffordshire

yep we had some on Cannock chase a 3 or 4 years ago. I saw one of them at a distance. They were rounded up eventually as they were crossing the roads at all times of the day and getting themselves into all sorts of bother and 1 of their piglets got killed on the road. The thing is they have no fear of humans unlike deer so not suitable to be out in the wild.

I caught a glimpse of them and the mrs saw them out in the field by us. We were warned not to go anywhere near them as they can get really nasty.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
26 weeks ago

Chelmsford

I wonder if I can train one to search for truffles like Nicholas Cage did in that film... Hmmmm "

Just remember never hike alone in the Highlands. That way you will never have to outrun a wild boar. You will only have to outrun your friend

By *icolerobbieCouple
26 weeks ago

walsall

"

Jesus, they’re only an hour away down the M5!

Can these buggers drive?

By *hriscooperMan
26 weeks ago

Warrington

Just remember never hike alone in the Highlands. That way you will never have to outrun a wild boar. You will only have to outrun your friend"

Very true... I've become a master at tying someone's boot laces together mid flight.

By *ottom charlieMan
26 weeks ago

washington

"Yeah, and pigs might surf!"
there is an island in the carrabean where pigs swim in the sea and come up to boats to be fed by tourists

By *icolerobbieCouple
26 weeks ago

walsall

"yep we had some on Cannock chase a 3 or 4 years ago. I saw one of them at a distance. They were rounded up eventually as they were crossing the roads at all times of the day and getting themselves into all sorts of bother and 1 of their piglets got killed on the road. The thing is they have no fear of humans unlike deer so not suitable to be out in the wild.

I caught a glimpse of them and the mrs saw them out in the field by us. We were warned not to go anywhere near them as they can get really nasty."

I hope this is an April fools joke.

I’m never going to CC again.

By *undee2Man
26 weeks ago

Dundee

"Very few actual boar around mostly feral pigs

So twice a likely to die as using a vending machine "

Feral pigs are a very real problem. There was a programme on BBC Radio Scotland's Out Of Doors programme a few weeks ago. It mentioned that one was culled weighing 26 stone. It also mentioned aggression. You may still be able to listen on BBC Sounds.

By *icolerobbieCouple
26 weeks ago

walsall

"Yeah, and pigs might surf! there is an island in the carrabean where pigs swim in the sea and come up to boats to be fed by tourists "

Are they not afraid of the sharks? They a partial to surfing pigs!

26 weeks ago

Meh, if it bleeds we can kill it.

By *hriscooperMan
26 weeks ago

Warrington

"Yeah, and pigs might surf! there is an island in the carrabean where pigs swim in the sea and come up to boats to be fed by tourists

Are they not afraid of the sharks? They a partial to surfing pigs!"

Brings a while new meaning to surf and turf. Haha

By *asons_CarounnCouple
26 weeks ago

Manchester

The wild Haggis ate all the Boar, everyone knows that.

By *ild_oatsMan
26 weeks ago

Just remember never hike alone in the Highlands. That way you will never have to outrun a wild boar. You will only have to outrun your friend"

You are more likely to come across a wild Haggis than a wild boar whilst hiking in Scotland.

A Haggis caught out in the open is a dangerous creature and should not be approached under any circumstances.

26 weeks ago

This threads becoming a bore

I now need my oinkment.

By *verageSausageMan
26 weeks ago

Flintshire

"A fabber called Chris, has alerted Tom to this thread. Chris is from Warrington, which is a place on the River Mersey made famous by the song, 'Ferry, Across the Mersey' which was written by the little known Gerry Marsden from Gerry and the Pacemakers, who was very much a one hit wonder. Wild Boar are those that live freely in the environment and sometimes have been deliberately released from farms by these eco and re-wilder types. They have bred with other escaped domesticate species such as the pink pig which farmers harvest as bacon.They are heavy buggers and are known to attack. Are there any fabbers with first hand experience of these buggers either when out walking or even eating the wild boar...

I guess you have never personally travelled much north of Watford then.

By *undee2Man
26 weeks ago

Dundee

I certainly wouldn't go up against a wild haggis.

By *hoirCouple
26 weeks ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

You must be new to the internet. We just don't lie on that there tinternet. Gerry and his multinamed band were not remotely one hit wonders.

C

By *alcon77Man
26 weeks ago

under the sun & the moon

Warrington is the land of roundabouts (a bit like skelmersdale, runcorn, milton keynes..) and an old soap factory. Though some of the older parts are nice..hiking in the highlands with wild killer pigs sounds way nicer.

By *icolerobbieCouple
26 weeks ago

walsall

Just remember never hike alone in the Highlands. That way you will never have to outrun a wild boar. You will only have to outrun your friend

You are more likely to come across a wild Haggis than a wild boar whilst hiking in Scotland.

A Haggis caught out in the open is a dangerous creature and should not be approached under any circumstances."

I’ve only ever seen haggis on a menu, in between the deep fried pizza and buckfast.

26 weeks ago

In France where I lived for a while until recently. The Sanglier ( boar) are a nightmare. They destroy bast areas of crops . Do attack people. And are hunted all year round . If your really unlucky you could also be shot by pissed french hunter ! Happens quite often !

By *usie pTV/TS
26 weeks ago

taunton

Feast on wild boar sausage.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
26 weeks ago

Central

"Very few actual boar around mostly feral pigs

So twice a likely to die as using a vending machine

Feral pigs are a very real problem. There was a programme on BBC Radio Scotland's Out Of Doors programme a few weeks ago. It mentioned that one was culled weighing 26 stone. It also mentioned aggression. You may still be able to listen on BBC Sounds."

26 stone pig

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
26 weeks ago

Chelmsford

"In France where I lived for a while until recently. The Sanglier ( boar) are a nightmare. They destroy bast areas of crops . Do attack people. And are hunted all year round . If your really unlucky you could also be shot by pissed french hunter ! Happens quite often ! "

Surely the French would have eradicated these Somelier pigs by now

26 weeks ago

"In France where I lived for a while until recently. The Sanglier ( boar) are a nightmare. They destroy bast areas of crops . Do attack people. And are hunted all year round . If your really unlucky you could also be shot by pissed french hunter ! Happens quite often !

Surely the French would have eradicated these Somelier pigs by now"

If your unlucky enough to hit one with your car you can claim for repairs through the Chasseurs ( hunts) insurance. Same applies to deer !

By *agnar73Man
26 weeks ago

Glasgow

About time Warrington was bigged up

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
26 weeks ago

Chelmsford

"In France where I lived for a while until recently. The Sanglier ( boar) are a nightmare. They destroy bast areas of crops . Do attack people. And are hunted all year round . If your really unlucky you could also be shot by pissed french hunter ! Happens quite often !

If your unlucky enough to hit one with your car you can claim for repairs through the Chasseurs ( hunts) insurance. Same applies to deer ! "

Surely that's for chicken?

Chicken Chasseur

By *lynJMan
26 weeks ago

Morden

"Wow Tom, what an opener!

These boar need to be dealt with before someone gets hurt! I for one will not be going to Scotland, which is a place made famous by the historical inaccuracies of a film starring the Australian, Mel Gibson. And deep fried bars bars."

Mel Gibson is an American. He was born in New York state.

26 weeks ago

If your unlucky enough to hit one with your car you can claim for repairs through the Chasseurs ( hunts) insurance. Same applies to deer !

Surely that's for chicken?

Chicken Chasseur"

Hunters chicken ! I shit you not

By *batMan
26 weeks ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

Plenty of wild boar around where I live. I occasionally see them out and about.

Gbat

Post new Message to Thread