Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The End of Civilization

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
26 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Reports from Scotland, the great country that actually invented golf, the game associated with the rich and landed gentry, is under threat.

Ancient courses, next to the sea, probably created by the Picts, are literally being eroded by the sea. Ancient traditions being lost. Is this a sign that civilisation as we know it is slowly ending.? What is going on here guys? It's all over the news

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple
26 weeks ago

Leeds

Yep we are all doomed.

Mrs

By *ink vixenCouple
26 weeks ago

Medway

Luckily golfers, owing to their ridiculous clothing and poor physical health are no longer able to find females willing to breed with them so will likely die out in a generation or so in any case.

By *illan-KillashMan
26 weeks ago

London/Sussex/Surrey/Berks/Hants

Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden.

Should have kept it that way.

Next thing they'll be wanting to drive and vote!!!!!!

Oh. No. Wait. Hold on........

By *immyinreadingMan
26 weeks ago

henley on thames

"Luckily golfers, owing to their ridiculous clothing and poor physical health are no longer able to find females willing to breed with them so will likely die out in a generation or so in any case. "

Poor health? Actually, a quick look around the seniors section at my club suggests otherwise.

I played yesterday, walking 10km, carrying a 10kg bag, and there’s blokes in their 70’s doing the same.

An excellent game for health.

By *ink vixenCouple
26 weeks ago

Medway

"Luckily golfers, owing to their ridiculous clothing and poor physical health are no longer able to find females willing to breed with them so will likely die out in a generation or so in any case.

Poor health? Actually, a quick look around the seniors section at my club suggests otherwise.

I played yesterday, walking 10km, carrying a 10kg bag, and there’s blokes in their 70’s doing the same.

An excellent game for health. "

A good walk ruined!

By *immyinreadingMan
26 weeks ago

henley on thames

"Reports from Scotland, the great country that actually invented golf, the game associated with the rich and landed gentry, is under threat.

Ancient courses, next to the sea, probably created by the Picts, are literally being eroded by the sea. Ancient traditions being lost. Is this a sign that civilisation as we know it is slowly ending.? What is going on here guys? It's all over the news

"

Slight exaggeration! Yes the coastline is always changing, nothing new there, but no, it doesn’t mean that courses are disappearing and that it is the end of golf as we know it.

In Dublin, there are two courses (st Anne’s and royal Dublin) that have been built on a sand bar (Bull island) that didn’t exist a couple of hundred years ago. Now there is a 3 mile long island with beach, nature reserve and golf courses.

By *immyinreadingMan
26 weeks ago

henley on thames

"Luckily golfers, owing to their ridiculous clothing and poor physical health are no longer able to find females willing to breed with them so will likely die out in a generation or so in any case.

A good walk ruined! "

… only if you play badly!

Any other cliches you can think of?

By (user no longer on site)
26 weeks ago

It will be blamed on Westminster

By *icolerobbieCouple
26 weeks ago

walsall

"Reports from Scotland, the great country that actually invented golf, the game associated with the rich and landed gentry, is under threat.

"

This is because they built their golf courses to close to the sea Tom, bad planning is the issue here. Make no mistake about it.

26 weeks ago

Humans deserve it at this point, if we are going down I'll accept it.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
26 weeks ago

in Lancashire

Golf, an ancient tradition..

26 weeks ago

Well now OP are you partial to a hole in one...are we really heading to a pile of chalk and sand...possibly.

Landslides right on my doorstep literally end of the world right?

By *ink vixenCouple
26 weeks ago

Medway

A good walk ruined!

… only if you play badly!

Any other cliches you can think of? "

About golf?

Ha ha no.

Nobody ever spent any productive intellectual time thinking of any.

By *illan-KillashMan
26 weeks ago

"

Interesting post.

Got any Links

One for the golfers there.......

By *agerMorganMan
26 weeks ago

Canvey Island

"Luckily golfers, owing to their ridiculous clothing and poor physical health are no longer able to find females willing to breed with them so will likely die out in a generation or so in any case. "

Don’t hold back or anything

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
26 weeks ago

Stockport

I've never been able to figure out the offside rule for golf, or the conditions for bringing on a substitute.

By *hriscooperMan
26 weeks ago

Warrington

Not to pinch the post, but have you seen the Wild Boar rampage in the Highlands? They're out of control, ruining forestry, killing sheep and playing havoc with crops.

I think I've found a reason to move up there permanently and have free bacon for life! Who's coming?

By *immyinreadingMan
26 weeks ago

henley on thames

… as for “civilisation as we know it” ending … civilisation is always evolving, it is never frozen in time.

By *immyinreadingMan
26 weeks ago

henley on thames

Interesting post.

Got any Links

One for the golfers there....... "

Try as I might, I can’t actually see this one being “all over the news”. So yes, some links to news items would be helpful.

By *unchalMan
26 weeks ago

Dartford

"

Don’t forget the damage that the windmills do.

By *inister_SpinsterWoman
26 weeks ago

North West

"Not to pinch the post, but have you seen the Wild Boar rampage in the Highlands? They're out of control, ruining forestry, killing sheep and playing havoc with crops.

I think I've found a reason to move up there permanently and have free bacon for life! Who's coming? "

Did you say Bacon ?

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
26 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Interesting post.

Got any Links

One for the golfers there....... "

Tom saw what you did there

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
26 weeks ago

Chelmsford

"Not to pinch the post, but have you seen the Wild Boar rampage in the Highlands? They're out of control, ruining forestry, killing sheep and playing havoc with crops.

I think I've found a reason to move up there permanently and have free bacon for life! Who's coming? "

Wild Boar! Wild Boar!

Tom has missed the Wild Boar!

By *illan-KillashMan
26 weeks ago

Interesting post.

Got any Links

Try as I might, I can’t actually see this one being “all over the news”. So yes, some links to news items would be helpful. "

A golfer would have got that joke.

By *hriscooperMan
26 weeks ago

Warrington

I think I've found a reason to move up there permanently and have free bacon for life! Who's coming?

Did you say Bacon ? "

Indeed I did... Would you like to come and be my assistant bacon snaffler?

26 weeks ago

"Humans deserve it at this point, if we are going down I'll accept it."

Yes if you're going down I'll also accept it.

26 weeks ago

You can still play crazy golf I wouldn't worry.

26 weeks ago

EuroNews suggests that areas of London and England's east coast are likely to be underwater by 2100...

By *immyinreadingMan
26 weeks ago

henley on thames

Interesting post.

Got any Links

Try as I might, I can’t actually see this one being “all over the news”. So yes, some links to news items would be helpful.

A golfer would have got that joke. "

I did … and you pointed it out … twice now.

By *r_reusMan
26 weeks ago

Coventry

Having an unelected, overt racist like Humza Yousaf in charge is far more dangerous to Scotland than erosion.

26 weeks ago

Just move the holes further in.

By *illan-KillashMan
26 weeks ago

Interesting post.

Got any Links

I did … and you pointed it out … twice now. "

It wasn't obvious from your reply. Just putting it out there.....

26 weeks ago

Don’t worry about it. There’s a new water hazard in the 7th 13th and 18.

By *ravelling_WilburyMan
26 weeks ago

Beverley

Same shit different day

By *immyinreadingMan
26 weeks ago

henley on thames

Interesting post.

Got any Links

I did … and you pointed it out … twice now.

It wasn't obvious from your reply. Just putting it out there.....

"

Again?

By *icolerobbieCouple
26 weeks ago

walsall

"EuroNews suggests that areas of London and England's east coast are likely to be underwater by 2100..."

Holy shit, that only leaves eight hours!

By *icolerobbieCouple
26 weeks ago

walsall

Interesting post.

Got any Links

Try as I might, I can’t actually see this one being “all over the news”. So yes, some links to news items would be helpful. "

You don’t get any more “all over the news” than this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cqljjg1zq31o.amp

By *immyinreadingMan
26 weeks ago

henley on thames

"Just move the holes further in. "

A handful of holes are affected, on a handful of courses. And in some areas larger amounts of additional land is available, due to sand deposits.

By *esthetic21Man
26 weeks ago

Birmingham/Bristol

Man some of your post are so outlandish

By *illan-KillashMan
26 weeks ago

Interesting post.

Got any Links

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cqljjg1zq31o.amp"

Is this first, something that's all over the news actually being all over the news?

By *ild_oatsMan
26 weeks ago

the land of saints & sinners

Actually Scotland and the northern part of England are still being impacted by post-glacial rebound. Causing an upward shift of up to 10 cm per century with a corresponding downward movement of the southern half of the British Isles by up to 5 cm per century.

This will lead to increasing risk of flooding in southern England and South West Ireland….

With this we might not see Mr Trump’s Scottish golf course under the sea anytime soon….

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
26 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Interesting post.

Got any Links

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cqljjg1zq31o.amp"

There are people who doubt Tom and his news service. But as always, his faithful followers defend and put up a link. As Tom always says. You don't own a dog and bark yourself ..

26 weeks ago

Scottish

English

World is melting

Earthquakes getting bigger

Pot holes so big

Pavement cracks

World has been cracking for ancient times not just today..

Those who destroy it..are guilty of building on sand are foolish .

I need one of those new air taxis they all over the sky

26 weeks ago

"EuroNews suggests that areas of London and England's east coast are likely to be underwater by 2100...

Holy shit, that only leaves eight hours!"

That's usually the notice period we minions will get from our esteem Government officials.

I'll definitely not be around to see it, can't see myself living until 130

By *quirrel!Man
26 weeks ago

x

My personal preference is woman’s golf - they’re so much better at it!

By *immyinreadingMan
26 weeks ago

henley on thames

"My personal preference is woman’s golf - they’re so much better at it! "

I am a big fan of women’s golf, and went to the Women’s Open last year.

Can’t agree that they are “so much better”. The pros are better than me, for sure, but not better than equivalent male pros.

When annika sorenstam was dominating the women’s game, she played a men’s tour event. Her main observation was that the standard of the short game, in particular, was on a different level to the women’s game.

I would be interested to know how you reached the conclusion that the women are better players.

By *immyinreadingMan
26 weeks ago

henley on thames

"Scottish

English

World is melting

Earthquakes getting bigger

Pot holes so big

Pavement cracks

World has been cracking for ancient times not just today..

Those who destroy it..are guilty of building on sand are foolish .

I need one of those new air taxis they all over the sky "

Re: building on sand. Some areas are prone to erosion, some aren’t. Having golf courses on non-vulnerable stretches of coastline is absolutely fine. And some areas are accumulating sand, leaving more landmass over time.

As I posted earlier, two golf courses in Dublin are on a sand spit that didn’t exist a few hundred years ago. Nothing foolish about building on that sand spit, Bull Island

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
26 weeks ago

Chelmsford

"

As I posted earlier, two golf courses in Dublin are on a sand spit that didn’t exist a few hundred years ago. Nothing foolish about building on that sand spit, Bull Island "

You can say that again...

By *uctifanoWoman
26 weeks ago

Glasgow

Sometimes… when I look at the world, I seriously doubt we are civilized at all

By *icolerobbieCouple
26 weeks ago

walsall

Interesting post.

Got any Links

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cqljjg1zq31o.amp

There are people who doubt Tom and his news service. But as always, his faithful followers defend and put up a link. As Tom always says. You don't own a dog and bark yourself .. "

Yip Yip

By *irtydevil666Man
26 weeks ago

bristol

I wonder if the green fees will go down......

By *immyinreadingMan
26 weeks ago

henley on thames

"I wonder if the green fees will go down......"

If anything, green fees will go up at courses they are impacted by erosion, with extra costs due to having to build defences or building new holes.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
26 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

Many’s the person that has ventured into Scotland and thought it was the end of civilisation

By *agnar73Man
26 weeks ago

Glasgow

End of days indeed.

By *ad HardcoreMan
26 weeks ago

A Chippy Near You...

"

Many other sports are available Tom

And Scotland's in the most capable hands with the current First Minister anyway

Post new Message to Thread