FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Is cash better than credit card when doing the shopping?

Jump to newest

By *hagTonight OP   Man
27 weeks ago

From the land of haribos.

I would say it is that it is better, because with cash you are more in control of your spending and you get the idea of how much a thing costs.

I would even say that your mentality over spending is different depending if you are doing the shopping with a credit card or cash, because you are just swiping with the card and t dooesnt give you a sense of the cost in the same way.

What is your view about it and what do you use when doing the shopping. I mostly use cash, but only credit card with more expensive things. I like the feeling of the cash when you hold it and the coins too

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS
27 weeks ago

chichester

I prefer cash always

By *m-BatmanMan
27 weeks ago

Gotham

Credit. Use someone else’s money.

Use your own money to invest in investments and compound your cash at bank - and then just clear down the credit so you don’t pay interest.

With credit you increase cash flow, improve time to value, beneficially insure your purchase, and profit.

You can also add extra benefits like % cash back to further compounding net growth, and also deals like flexible timelines to pay back.

Cash doesn’t actually exist as anything other than fiat, so it’s not like having gold or other commodities to spend therefore credit wins all round.

By *hrimper36Couple
27 weeks ago

Central France dept 36

Good question shag and for me I like both.

Here in France we have a limit that we can use our debit cards monthly which is a pain in the arse but you get used to it so once I’ve reached my limit I use cash.

My limit was raised last week to €1500 but Eves is €6,000 a month.

I went into a coffee shop last week that only took card no cash but the tip jar on the counter was cash bless them.

So both for us.

T

By *ellhungvweMan
27 weeks ago

Cheltenham

"Good question shag and for me I like both.

Here in France we have a limit that we can use our debit cards monthly which is a pain in the arse but you get used to it so once I’ve reached my limit I use cash.

I went into a coffee shop last week that only took card no cash but the tip jar on the counter was cash bless them.

So both for us.

T"

You have a limit on the amount you can spend on your debit card? Why would a bank do that as they make money in every transaction you put through it. Granted the EU has capped that amount to a tiny percentage but it is still a decent amount for banks.

By *ellhungvweMan
27 weeks ago

Cheltenham

To answer your question OP - I use credit card for almost everything because if there is an issue then I can claim straight back from the credit card company plus it is just easier to use the wallet stored in my phone. I always pay off my bill every month.

By *mmaleiaWoman
27 weeks ago

East Northamptonshire

As somebody that runs an independent shop, credit cards will be the death of them

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
27 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

I use a combination of debit card and cash, I usually have enough cash on me to cover the things I am likely to purchase as the card machines around here have a habit of crashing.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

27 weeks ago

East Sussex

I use both.

I'm pretty good at controlling my spending however I do it so cards aren't a problem for me and I pay my credit card in full every month.

I use cash because I want to keep physical currency in circulation

By *ora the explorerWoman
27 weeks ago

Paradise, Herts

Debit card. Hardly ever have cash on me anymore. I don’t use credit cards

By *hrimper36Couple
27 weeks ago

Central France dept 36

So both for us.

T

You have a limit on the amount you can spend on your debit card? Why would a bank do that as they make money in every transaction you put through it. Granted the EU has capped that amount to a tiny percentage but it is still a decent amount for banks."

Yes and the only reason I’ve got is just that it’s France and it’s not a massive credit society like the UK.

When I first moved here I paid €10,000 into the bank and fucked off with the family to eurodisney and couldn’t work out why my bank card didn’t work so on return I went to the bank to ask why only to be told that my ceiling was €300 a month.

You get used to not being able to use your own money just like most shops closing for lunch.

On the way back from holiday yesterday I had a text from my bank telling me I had €29 left this month on my card but I have €12,000 in that account.

I can draw cash out but I just can’t pay with my card.

T

By *obilebottomMan
27 weeks ago

All over

There have bern many threads on this and my answer always the same. A good mix of both as used to be is best. I don't want card only payments and will not support businesses anymore that insist om card only and have walked out of places that do. Myself and most people I know have gone back to paying cash as much as possible. Large items pay by card because of the protection. Day to day shopping etc always cash. Card is convenient to those who can or want to but not all do and I am not selfish to assume that everyone has to use card. Lots of other reasons too that we should retain that balance

By *ora the explorerWoman
27 weeks ago

Paradise, Herts

So both for us.

T

You have a limit on the amount you can spend on your debit card? Why would a bank do that as they make money in every transaction you put through it. Granted the EU has capped that amount to a tiny percentage but it is still a decent amount for banks.

Yes and the only reason I’ve got is just that it’s France and it’s not a massive credit society like the UK.

When I first moved here I paid €10,000 into the bank and fucked off with the family to eurodisney and couldn’t work out why my bank card didn’t work so on return I went to the bank to ask why only to be told that my ceiling was €300 a month.

You get used to not being able to use your own money just like most shops closing for lunch.

On the way back from holiday yesterday I had a text from my bank telling me I had €29 left this month on my card but I have €12,000 in that account.

T"

Do they charge you for the bank account too? I have a Spanish one and they charge 100 euros a year just to have a debit card on it

By *icolerobbieCouple
27 weeks ago

walsall

I have se both. Credit cards for purchases over £100. That way you have some recourse should something go wrong with your purchase. Everything else is cash because I prefer it that way. After hearing of people having to leave their groceries in the trolley because the card networks were down, I think I’ll stick to cash.

By *heGateKeeperMan
27 weeks ago

Stratford

"As somebody that runs an independent shop, credit cards will be the death of them"

What’s the reason for this? I’m intrigued….

I had to make a pretty large transaction from a smaller shop the other week and wanted to CC it for the extra protection which I know you should really but they were really hesitant which was odd. Against my better judgement I went through with it but thought to myself I’m not sure I made the right decision there

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

27 weeks ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

So both for us.

T

T

Do they charge you for the bank account too? I have a Spanish one and they charge 100 euros a year just to have a debit card on it "

Most of the world charges fees for bank accounts. Free banking is generally an oddity unique to the UK.

Hence why branches that had around 30 people a week using them closed - its just not financially viable to run a bricks and mortar site with that few people using it.

Personal banking in the UK has always been heavily subsidised by mortgages, credit card, corporate and investment banking. It's cost heavy with lower profits than other sectors.

Back the shopping question? For me it's debit card all the way. There's really no difference between cash and a debit card except not having to worry about having the right money on me at all times.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

27 weeks ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"As somebody that runs an independent shop, credit cards will be the death of them

I had to make a pretty large transaction from a smaller shop the other week and wanted to CC it for the extra protection which I know you should really but they were really hesitant which was odd. Against my better judgement I went through with it but thought to myself I’m not sure I made the right decision there "

Section 75.

Always use a credit card for any purchase over £100 if possible, even if its only an initial deposit.

Much better if something goes tits up.

By *lik and PaulCouple
27 weeks ago

Flagrante

People often moan about banks but every time you use a card you and the retailer are paying them a percentage of the transaction. This is one of the reasons I prefer to use cash plus my preference for supporting independent shops.

By *hrimper36Couple
27 weeks ago

Central France dept 36

So both for us.

T

T

Do they charge you for the bank account too? I have a Spanish one and they charge 100 euros a year just to have a debit card on it "

Our banks charge yes and it’s about the same I think but here we still use chèques a lot and you can pay for some big ticket items with three chèques to spread the costs but if you bounce a chèque they take your account away and give you a basic kids type of account.

T

By *ad NannaWoman
27 weeks ago

East London

Cash can easily be taken from you by pickpockets.

When my purse was taken from my bag while out shopping I lost a small amount of cash but was able to put a stop on my debit card through the app.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

27 weeks ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"People often moan about banks but every time you use a card you and the retailer are paying them a percentage of the transaction. This is one of the reasons I prefer to use cash plus my preference for supporting independent shops."

Banks charge businesses more for depositing cash.

And insurance premiums are higher for cash heavy businesses to due to the higher risk. It also takes significantly longer for a business to manage cash over electronic payments in terms of everything from banking, till reconciliation, and safety.

Swings. Roundabouts.

By *heGateKeeperMan
27 weeks ago

Stratford

"As somebody that runs an independent shop, credit cards will be the death of them

I had to make a pretty large transaction from a smaller shop the other week and wanted to CC it for the extra protection which I know you should really but they were really hesitant which was odd. Against my better judgement I went through with it but thought to myself I’m not sure I made the right decision there

Section 75.

Always use a credit card for any purchase over £100 if possible, even if its only an initial deposit.

Much better if something goes tits up. "

I did say I know that I get better protection on larger purchases but at the time just went against my better judgement

By *oo..Woman
27 weeks ago

Boo's World

Always use debit or credit cards for larger purchases. You have more come back,rights,claim times and indemnity claims can be made when something goes wrong.

Use Cash, you don't have that protection.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
27 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

"Always use debit or credit cards for larger purchases. You have more come back,rights,claim times and indemnity claims can be made when something goes wrong.

Use Cash, you don't have that protection."

I don’t think there is much protection with a debit card as they fall outside the section 75.

By *oo..Woman
27 weeks ago

Boo's World

"Always use debit or credit cards for larger purchases. You have more come back,rights,claim times and indemnity claims can be made when something goes wrong.

I don’t think there is much protection with a debit card as they fall outside the section 75. "

You can do a Chargeback Claim with your bank, but you must contact the seller first with any issue.

If they refuse to help or refund then you can go to your bank and start the process.

Debit cards still have protection just not as much as a Credit Card

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

27 weeks ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

I don’t think there is much protection with a debit card as they fall outside the section 75. "

There is. You at least have the potential for a chargeback, which is impossible if paying cash.

There's no paper trail with cash bar the potential for a paper receipt. Electronic transactions record the details of both the account being debited and credited, as well as being tine/date stamped.

By *arkus1812Man
27 weeks ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

I tend to use all 3, Cash,Debit Card and Credit card.

My Gardener,Window Cleaner,House Cleaner and Chiropist all have a preference for Cash. My car cleaner(Grandson) insists on Cash.

I pay my Supermarket and the likes using my Debit Card but having been caught out when tills go down so I now carry a £200 cash float.

For purchases over £100 I will use my Credit card which I clear every month.

By *obilebottomMan
27 weeks ago

All over

Pretty much the same except pay all day to day stuff including supermarket shopping in person in cash. Only use card (mainly credit gor the protection) for large transactions and paid in full every month. If we are not careful thecway some people talk we walk our way into a cashless society and will not want to see that. We are hooked on plastic in this country unlike other countries.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
27 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

I don’t think there is much protection with a debit card as they fall outside the section 75.

There is. You at least have the potential for a chargeback, which is impossible if paying cash.

There's no paper trail with cash bar the potential for a paper receipt. Electronic transactions record the details of both the account being debited and credited, as well as being tine/date stamped. "

I get the trail being left should make traceability possible but I thought you don’t have any where near the actual protection should things go wrong as you do with a credit card.

With the debit card a lot can depend on how sympathetic your bank is rather than you being protected in law with the credit card.

I’m pretty sure you don’t have the same levels of protection with a debit card that you do with a credit card. *discliamer, I have no professional knowledge in this area*.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

27 weeks ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

There's no paper trail with cash bar the potential for a paper receipt. Electronic transactions record the details of both the account being debited and credited, as well as being tine/date stamped.

I get the trail being left should make traceability possible but I thought you don’t have any where near the actual protection should things go wrong as you do with a credit card.

With the debit card a lot can depend on how sympathetic your bank is rather than you being protected in law with the credit card.

I’m pretty sure you don’t have the same levels of protection with a debit card that you do with a credit card. *discliamer, I have no professional knowledge in this area*. "

You're correct.

But it's a lot safer than cash.

By *oo..Woman
27 weeks ago

Boo's World

I’m pretty sure you don’t have the same levels of protection with a debit card that you do with a credit card. *discliamer, I have no professional knowledge in this area*. "

A bank has no right to refuse any chargeback claims made against a debit card if a customer wants to make one.

They should process the claim regardless.

It's not that hard a process to do start to finish.

By *rooperRedMan
27 weeks ago

Littlehampton

Debit card. It's easy, I don't believe the tripe about cash going away because I'm not a fragile white man. If you don't know how much you spend because you use a card then the issue isn't the cash. I know roughly how much is in my account at all times (basically a linear path to zero).

By *hagTonight OP   Man
27 weeks ago

[Removed by poster at 27/03/24 10:12:17]

By (user no longer on site)
27 weeks ago

I only use debit cards and cash. Never owned a credit card...

By *hagTonight OP   Man
27 weeks ago

"I prefer cash always "
That is good

By *ros40Man
27 weeks ago

Bedford

Cash Cash Cash

Unless online purchases

By *annyDanielleMan
27 weeks ago

Street, Somerset

Cards, a great way for banks to make even more money from us poor folk.

By *itty9899Man
27 weeks ago

Craggy Island

I tap my debit card. The only downside is you can't really see what you're spending until you get your statement, if it cash in your hand you can see it going.

By *red333Man
27 weeks ago

Dorchester

Yes i agree cash is king

By *obilebottomMan
27 weeks ago

All over

"Cash Cash Cash

Unless online purchases

"

By *hagTonight OP   Man
27 weeks ago

"Credit. Use someone else’s money.

Use your own money to invest in investments and compound your cash at bank - and then just clear down the credit so you don’t pay interest.

With credit you increase cash flow, improve time to value, beneficially insure your purchase, and profit.

You can also add extra benefits like % cash back to further compounding net growth, and also deals like flexible timelines to pay back.

Cash doesn’t actually exist as anything other than fiat, so it’s not like having gold or other commodities to spend therefore credit wins all round."

That is good and yes, one should always use their own money too

By *lik and PaulCouple
27 weeks ago

Flagrante

"People often moan about banks but every time you use a card you and the retailer are paying them a percentage of the transaction. This is one of the reasons I prefer to use cash plus my preference for supporting independent shops.

Banks charge businesses more for depositing cash.

And insurance premiums are higher for cash heavy businesses to due to the higher risk. It also takes significantly longer for a business to manage cash over electronic payments in terms of everything from banking, till reconciliation, and safety.

Swings. Roundabouts. "

A good friend works in the card industry which has many layers of charges and costs, all of which are passed on and he openly says people and businesses would be better off using cash. I have cards as sometimes they are needed and always ask the retailer what they would prefer. The answer is either cash or "we don't mind" but it's never card.

By *red333Man
27 weeks ago

Dorchester

"I tap my debit card. The only downside is you can't really see what you're spending until you get your statement, if it cash in your hand you can see it going. "
exactly ditch the card stay in control

27 weeks ago

I was in Leipzig last summer and was amazed at the amount of places that were cash only. Here in Ireland everywhere takes card, even small country shops.

27 weeks ago

"I tap my debit card. The only downside is you can't really see what you're spending until you get your statement, if it cash in your hand you can see it going. "

All you have to do is open your banking app on your phone. You don't need to wait for a statement.

By *obilebottomMan
27 weeks ago

All over

"I tap my debit card. The only downside is you can't really see what you're spending until you get your statement, if it cash in your hand you can see it going.

All you have to do is open your banking app on your phone. You don't need to wait for a statement."

Most of continental Europe use a healthy balance of both.

By *red333Man
27 weeks ago

Dorchester

"I was in Leipzig last summer and was amazed at the amount of places that were cash only. Here in Ireland everywhere takes card, even small country shops."
on small purchases thats probably costing them a fortune, cash is king, i went in the local restaurant on the seafront the other day and ordered a coffee paid by card because i only popped out to move my vehicle and didn't bring cash which was in my room, when i went back to get another one he had put a sign up saying card payments over £10

By *exy_HornyCouple
27 weeks ago

Leigh

Never use cash at all unless forced to. Have to get some cashback this week to pay the camping fees this weekend as I don't have £8 cash. Last time I used cash was last summer, again for camping.

Prefer the credit card as it gives a small amount of cashback. Pay it off every month in full, but the money earns interest in my account for a month.

By *entleman of FortuneMan
27 weeks ago

Hull

Debit card mostly cash occasionally, don't have a credit card, use PayPal a lot. But may go back to using cash more, I had an old bank account in Belgium that they just recently closed and 4 months later I'm still waiting to get my money back after having to provide accounts to show money origin and checking for money laundering. Made me realise what if I was needing that money then banks have total control of if you can have your own money or not, same as whenever there is a run on a bank.

By *rHotNottsMan
27 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I depends shag. Cash is better for people on a tight budget and/or struggle with impulsive behaviour.

If you are strong willed and have plenty of budget credit is much better for many reasons. Insurance, benefits etc, also big purchases are better off bought from savings or credit depending on when you need the thing and when you want to pay for it as costs can dramatically change over the course of a few months. But now pay later assumes what you are buying will reduce in value significantly by the time you pay

By *ymbunnyfitCouple
27 weeks ago

East Yorkshire

Cash is king x

By *red333Man
27 weeks ago

Dorchester

"Debit card mostly cash occasionally, don't have a credit card, use PayPal a lot. But may go back to using cash more, I had an old bank account in Belgium that they just recently closed and 4 months later I'm still waiting to get my money back after having to provide accounts to show money origin and checking for money laundering. Made me realise what if I was needing that money then banks have total control of if you can have your own money or not, same as whenever there is a run on a bank."
exactly interest rates are crap buy a safe and keep yer money at home easily accessed

By *ood time Chris BMan
27 weeks ago

TAUNTON AREA

Cash doesn’t actually exist as anything other than fiat, so it’s not like having gold or other commodities to spend therefore credit wins all round."

Couldn't agree with you more, its exactly what I do ,I'm often changing bank accounts to get free money for changing, takes a little time but worth it

By *ady SuzieXXXWoman
27 weeks ago

Chichester

"I prefer cash always "
Me to!

By *ou only live onceMan
27 weeks ago

London

Not for me, no. I find cards/phone much more convenient, but each to their own.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

27 weeks ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Debit card mostly cash occasionally, don't have a credit card, use PayPal a lot. But may go back to using cash more, I had an old bank account in Belgium that they just recently closed and 4 months later I'm still waiting to get my money back after having to provide accounts to show money origin and checking for money laundering. Made me realise what if I was needing that money then banks have total control of if you can have your own money or not, same as whenever there is a run on a bank.exactly interest rates are crap buy a safe and keep yer money at home easily accessed "

I know someone who did that a decade ago. Just because their bank declined a card transaction that was down to them not having enough money in that specific account, and loads in a non connected savings account.

They thought they were punishing the bank.

Til a house fire happened. Money burns and insurance companies normally cap cash claims somewhere in the low hundreds.

They lost their entire savings.

By *izandpaulCouple
27 weeks ago

merseyside

Credit card for buys over 100 for best protection.

Starling and Monzo for travel.

Debit for supermarket food shop

Cash for tips and odd coffee etc.

Work in Norway where you get funny looks trying to use cash, even on bus they refuse.

They are very close to a cashless society.

By *2000ManMan
27 weeks ago

Worthing

I use card for food shop (points) but take cash in case system goes down. Card is used for car service but that's it, cash is used elsewhere.

27 weeks ago

Cash is dirty and inconvenient to carry for the most part.

Cards are convenient and I never understood the whole easier to understand how much you've spent thing. Surely banking apps do that, or maths skills.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
27 weeks ago

Central

I use both but cash does make spending appear more real than via cards

By *hagTonight OP   Man
27 weeks ago

So both for us.

T"

Hi, ty, yes, it is a good question too, that is good that you also like to use both as well

By *rooperRedMan
27 weeks ago

Littlehampton

Cash isn't free, there are costs to carrying it around, storing it, securing it, depositing it, and withdrawing it. The person working in the card industry sees it passed on but it's equally passed on in cash businesses. There's cars fraud but when was the last time you heard of a bank robbery? A small business might not like it, but the day some stoned twerp walks in with a knife they might regret it, as did my local Chinese back in Sweden when they all got tied up and the undeclared cash they had in the safe went.

It's become this stupid part of these stupid culture wars that men of a certain age seem to revel in, like the backs of football shirt collars. There's actually MORE cash in the British economy now than there's ever been.

By *rozac_fairyCouple
27 weeks ago

Tamworth

Plastic.

Regardless of whether its debit or credit.

I don't think I've personally held cash for years other than the odd tenner for lockers at clubs.

By *onameyet2Man
27 weeks ago

chorley

"As somebody that runs an independent shop, credit cards will be the death of them"

I always try to pay cash at small buisinesses

By *undee2Man
27 weeks ago

Dundee

You cannot go overdrawn with cash. You cannot get yourself in debt with cash. For those on low or fixed income, cash makes budgeting possible using the envelope method.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

27 weeks ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

I always try to pay cash at small buisinesses"

I have my own business.

If I took cash it would be a major headache.

I'd have to travel to either a bank or post office to pay it in, which means frequent trips or keeping it at home in the meantime.

All my bills need paying, whether work or personal. They go out of my bank account so that needs quick and easy funding.

Automated payments are also so much easier for accounting.

I can think of a few businesses where cash would be more desirable. There's plenty popping up on high streets frequently.......

By *rooperRedMan
27 weeks ago

Littlehampton

"You cannot go overdrawn with cash. You cannot get yourself in debt with cash. For those on low or fixed income, cash makes budgeting possible using the envelope method."

That's got nothing to do with the method of payment, you can budget using a card as well, including with your banking app. And you can still go to a cash machine and withdraw cash into your overdraft amount.

By *undee2Man
27 weeks ago

Dundee

"You cannot go overdrawn with cash. You cannot get yourself in debt with cash. For those on low or fixed income, cash makes budgeting possible using the envelope method.

That's got nothing to do with the method of payment, you can budget using a card as well, including with your banking app. And you can still go to a cash machine and withdraw cash into your overdraft amount."

You and I clearly move in different circles. Try having nice little white middle class views such as yours and living on benefits as some of my family and neighbours do. Tell you what, get a shovel for Christmas then you can dig a hole in the sand and bury your head in it.

By *red333Man
27 weeks ago

Dorchester

"Debit card mostly cash occasionally, don't have a credit card, use PayPal a lot. But may go back to using cash more, I had an old bank account in Belgium that they just recently closed and 4 months later I'm still waiting to get my money back after having to provide accounts to show money origin and checking for money laundering. Made me realise what if I was needing that money then banks have total control of if you can have your own money or not, same as whenever there is a run on a bank.exactly interest rates are crap buy a safe and keep yer money at home easily accessed

I know someone who did that a decade ago. Just because their bank declined a card transaction that was down to them not having enough money in that specific account, and loads in a non connected savings account.

They thought they were punishing the bank.

Til a house fire happened. Money burns and insurance companies normally cap cash claims somewhere in the low hundreds.

They lost their entire savings. "

really omg...... Buy a safe thats fireproof

By *rooperRedMan
27 weeks ago

Littlehampton

"You cannot go overdrawn with cash. You cannot get yourself in debt with cash. For those on low or fixed income, cash makes budgeting possible using the envelope method.

That's got nothing to do with the method of payment, you can budget using a card as well, including with your banking app. And you can still go to a cash machine and withdraw cash into your overdraft amount.

You and I clearly move in different circles. Try having nice little white middle class views such as yours and living on benefits as some of my family and neighbours do. Tell you what, get a shovel for Christmas then you can dig a hole in the sand and bury your head in it."

That's some massive assumptions there and you can stick that shovel somewhere else. I've struggled MASSIVELY financially for years, I'm in debt and I'm paying it off. You don't know anything about my background either and you just think I'm some sort of middle class wnkr who thinks everyone on benefits is thick and lazy when I've had to use food banks myself. I can budget just fine and saying you can't without having an envelope says more about your attitude to that sort of thing than mine.

By *red333Man
27 weeks ago

Dorchester

That's got nothing to do with the method of payment, you can budget using a card as well, including with your banking app. And you can still go to a cash machine and withdraw cash into your overdraft amount."

I don't have a banking app or telephone banking and my bank recently closed my branch in town i had to travel 30 miles each way

By *red333Man
27 weeks ago

Dorchester

Oh and most bank accounts offer overdraft facilities at least with cash if you haven't got any you can't get into debt

By *rooperRedMan
27 weeks ago

Littlehampton

"Oh and most bank accounts offer overdraft facilities at least with cash if you haven't got any you can't get into debt "

You can still withdraw cash into your overdraft amount. If you don't have an overdraft then obviously it'd be the same with a debit card.

By *rooperRedMan
27 weeks ago

Littlehampton

But that's obviously a white middle class opinion.

By *red333Man
27 weeks ago

Dorchester

"Oh and most bank accounts offer overdraft facilities at least with cash if you haven't got any you can't get into debt

You can still withdraw cash into your overdraft amount. If you don't have an overdraft then obviously it'd be the same with a debit card."

I'm a great believer in paying with cash I'm afraid in fact i go out of my way to use it, occasionally i have no choice mind

By *atnip make me purrWoman
27 weeks ago

Reading

I would agree but cash is much less convenient than paying with my watch.

27 weeks ago

I always try to pay cash at small buisinesses

I have my own business.

If I took cash it would be a major headache.

I'd have to travel to either a bank or post office to pay it in, which means frequent trips or keeping it at home in the meantime.

All my bills need paying, whether work or personal. They go out of my bank account so that needs quick and easy funding.

Automated payments are also so much easier for accounting.

I can think of a few businesses where cash would be more desirable. There's plenty popping up on high streets frequently....... "

I think a lot of people forget that business banking costs and getting change/coins costs. It's not as simple as saying card charges are small business killers.

Admin is much easier on cashless systems.

27 weeks ago

Cash. I can see the stack going down so I never overspend and it's better for my saving up.

Cash because I know a couple of local businesses owners and its better for them.

Cash because when I take all of my cash out the bank every month, I never have problems getting to it like I do when it's in a bank, I'd rather it in my safe at home when I can take what i please when I please and spend it on what I please without question.

Cash because I tend to barter where I can and often get a better price for Cash.

Cash because there's no trace of where I spend it whatsoever.

I can't think of a single advantage of using card personally.

Cash, because it spends easier on the black market.

By *izandpaulCouple
27 weeks ago

merseyside

You and I clearly move in different circles. Try having nice little white middle class views such as yours and living on benefits as some of my family and neighbours do. Tell you what, get a shovel for Christmas then you can dig a hole in the sand and bury your head in it."

Wow.

How rude are you.

You give people on lower incomes a bad name.

If you wish to disagree with the man's point of view try to be a tad respectful and then any responses will be respectful too.

Or maybe just grow up and act your age.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
27 weeks ago

"I use both.

I'm pretty good at controlling my spending however I do it so cards aren't a problem for me and I pay my credit card in full every month.

I use cash because I want to keep physical currency in circulation "

That is good you use both too and same here. I am also prettt good at controlling my spending

By *ittle Miss TinkerbellWoman
27 weeks ago

your head

I never use cash to shop. The barbers and osteopath are cash only so that's the only time I have it on me. Debit card day to day and credit card if and when I want the added protection.

Cash isn't convenient. Cash machines aren't always easy to find and if they are around, they aren't always working or there's a huge queue. If my cards are lost or st0len, I can cancel them straight away, it's not that easy with cash. I have no issues managing my money using cards.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
27 weeks ago

"To answer your question OP - I use credit card for almost everything because if there is an issue then I can claim straight back from the credit card company plus it is just easier to use the wallet stored in my phone. I always pay off my bill every month."
That is good

By *ewels74Woman
27 weeks ago

Dundee/Angus/Blackpool

i dont use credit cards never have done and wont, i do have a debit card as its always easier, when it was being told to use cards, i had previously never did and always used cash, but i find it has come far too easy to just whip card out and swipe and things. And i keep saying to myself ok need to start using cash and i tend to keep forgetting to, have to say though i do realise why i have card lately as i tend to lose cash when i stick it in my pocket which happened beginning of month and the texture of the notes are now more slidy if thats a word lucky it was only £5

But no i would go back to cash cause then i would not be overspending on things i cant really shouldnt be buying as that is tempting fate.

By *ltrMan
27 weeks ago

sheffield

Only got credit card to us in USA was told most shops don't like cash, with the issue of been raided with a till full of cash now only use to buy electronic item as if you drop it on way to car it's insured. Well it is on mine .

By *ravelling_WilburyMan
27 weeks ago

Beverley

I mainly use my debit card. I often have plans to withdraw cash and use that, but the plans last about a week.

Can't stand the cash is king propaganda. Do what works for you. If using cash gives you a greater sense of control, great. If you use a credit card for protection and flexibility, great. If you use your bank card or phone because you cant be arsed to queue at a cash point, you go girl!

By *ndycoinsMan
27 weeks ago

Whaley Bridge,Nr Buxton,

Cash is king.It doesn't get hacked,crash,glitch,go offline,be traced and monitored or otherwise screw up.Every debt charity in the world(no exaggeration,that was the reaction at the world banking conference a few years back when the Swedish representative talked about Sweden going cashless)will tell you the best way to get people out of debt,stay out of debt,and teach budgeting is cash.

By *red333Man
27 weeks ago

Dorchester

"I mainly use my debit card. I often have plans to withdraw cash and use that, but the plans last about a week.

Can't stand the cash is king propaganda. Do what works for you. If using cash gives you a greater sense of control, great. If you use a credit card for protection and flexibility, great. If you use your bank card or phone because you cant be arsed to queue at a cash point, you go girl!

"

How does a credit card give you greater protection and flexibility exactly I've been fleeced by the banks then fleeced by people supposed to be giving me a service, never fealt more insecure than with a credit card, pay by cash don't be lazy

By *red333Man
27 weeks ago

Dorchester

And the credit companies fleece the small businesses as well, they are just money guzzlers, interest rates on withdrawals, use cash stop the banks getting wealthier, cash is freedom

By *rHotNottsMan
27 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Cash doesn’t actually exist as anything other than fiat, so it’s not like having gold or other commodities to spend therefore credit wins all round.

Couldn't agree with you more, its exactly what I do ,I'm often changing bank accounts to get free money for changing, takes a little time but worth it "

Credit doesn’t always make sense, like a new kitchen or bathroom without adding any more utility, manufactured furniture or car is going to depreciate very fast and leveraging credit on depreciating items is a really bad idea and it removes almost all negotiating power.

By *odevilWoman
27 weeks ago

exeter

I used to exclusively use cash to control spending for the exact reasons stated in the OP. Physically parting with the cash kept me mindful of how much I was spending.

In a complete reversal, these days I so rarely have actual cash that on the odd occasion I do spend it, it feels like it's free because it didn't affect my bank balance!

Funny how times change.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
26 weeks ago

"I have se both. Credit cards for purchases over £100. That way you have some recourse should something go wrong with your purchase. Everything else is cash because I prefer it that way. After hearing of people having to leave their groceries in the trolley because the card networks were down, I think I’ll stick to cash."
That is good you use both too, those are also good points and yes, sometimes the card networks can be down as well

By *os_GoddessofdawnWoman
26 weeks ago

In the clouds

Never have cash, just use the debit card!

By *idnight RamblerMan
26 weeks ago

Pershore

Well cash isn't traceable

By *izandpaulCouple
26 weeks ago

merseyside

"I mainly use my debit card. I often have plans to withdraw cash and use that, but the plans last about a week.

How does a credit card give you greater protection and flexibility exactly I've been fleeced by the banks then fleeced by people supposed to be giving me a service, never fealt more insecure than with a credit card, pay by cash don't be lazy "

Card is so much better if you have problems with faulty goods etc.

They are also great to provide an audit trail for claiming expenses from work, hotels, airfares etc.

Some hotels demand a card when checking in, so bars, room service etc can be charged to card.

I'm happy for anyone to check on how I use my money, I've got nothing to hide.

Everything we earn, salaries, expenses, bonus etc is all documented. If you want to know what I spend, just ask I'm not important enough to hide anything.

Some cards are brilliant when travelling like Starling and Monzo.

American Express have been great when having problems working abroad, I lost my card and a man came to my work with a replacement within 48 hours.

I only carry cash for tips and the odd drink etc.

But each to their own.

Tesco's probably know more about my spending habits than any government agency, how else can they make targeted savings for you.

They will know if you have kids, your day to day health, holiday spending, diet, brand loyalty etc etc. I reckon supermarkets could tell me more about myself than I remember.

I don't see where lazy comes into the equation.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
26 weeks ago

little house on the praire

Always use debit card except for my Gardner and cleaner and I pay them cash

26 weeks ago

"I would say it is that it is better, because with cash you are more in control of your spending and you get the idea of how much a thing costs.

I would even say that your mentality over spending is different depending if you are doing the shopping with a credit card or cash, because you are just swiping with the card and t dooesnt give you a sense of the cost in the same way.

What is your view about it and what do you use when doing the shopping. I mostly use cash, but only credit card with more expensive things. I like the feeling of the cash when you hold it and the coins too "

Why are you more in control with cash? If anything you’re less in control - there’s more risk of being given short change, receiving counterfeit coins or notes, or losing your cash before or after purchase.

It’s easy to keep track with card. Especially if you have an app the sends notifications to your device every time your purchase.

I’d say the only benefit of cash is that it prevents you being tracked

By *JB1954Man
26 weeks ago

Reading

My thoughts. I use a combination of cash, debit and credit cards. Like others I carry enough cash to cover my weekly shop. Yes like a week ago in news a lot of I think Tesco and other shops people could not use cards as system down.

Also my elderly neighbours do not have online banking . Yes can use card to withdraw money . But pay most bills by direct debit . They get paper statements and shopping by cash.

If on tight budget , then cash is best. Can only spend what you have. I seen someone say about using overdraft on bank account if using card. If on limited budget . Very difficult to get out of overdraft .Plus may get charged for overdraft fees which increases dept.?

By *umagain58Man
26 weeks ago

London

I rarely use cash. I can understand views expressed here but I find so much easier not doing. This is even for an oldie who use pounds, shillings and pence

By *rLordMan
26 weeks ago

Swadlincote

Cash only, have a credit card for emergency use only.

By *b202299Man
26 weeks ago

A...

For smaller independent shops I would use cash as it means they don't have to pay the fees to the credit card company. For the bigger chains I'd pay by credit they can afford to pay the fees. The fee can range anywhere from 1.5 to 3.5%.

By *red333Man
26 weeks ago

Dorchester

How does a credit card give you greater protection and flexibility exactly I've been fleeced by the banks then fleeced by people supposed to be giving me a service, never fealt more insecure than with a credit card, pay by cash don't be lazy

They are also great to provide an audit trail for claiming expenses from work, hotels, airfares etc.

Some hotels demand a card when checking in, so bars, room service etc can be charged to card.

Everything we earn, salaries, expenses, bonus etc is all documented. If you want to know what I spend, just ask I'm not important enough to hide anything.

American Express have been great when having problems working abroad, I lost my card and a man came to my work with a replacement within 48 hours.

But each to their own.

Tesco's probably know more about my spending habits than any government agency, how else can they make targeted savings for you.

They will know if you have kids, your day to day health, holiday spending, diet, brand loyalty etc etc. I reckon supermarkets could tell me more about myself than I remember.

"

YOU unfortunately are the person thats causing the problem, your paper trails and receipts oh and IF anything goes wrong IF, the problem is you are trackable so freedom doesn't exist for you, they know where you are at all times and it doesn't bother you because you haven't done anything wrong well neither have i but freedom for me is THEM not knowing where i am, cash is king. If i have a problem with something i take it back and they replace it i obviously keep the receipt even though i paid by cash, its a miracle i know and i never pay by card, phone, watch and don't have telephone banking, i have cash cos cash is king you can't spend more than you've got because you don't have it, you can keep track of what you are spending, cash is king.

By *izandpaulCouple
26 weeks ago

merseyside

But each to their own.

YOU unfortunately are the person thats causing the problem, your paper trails and receipts oh and IF anything goes wrong IF, the problem is you are trackable so freedom doesn't exist for you, they know where you are at all times and it doesn't bother you because you haven't done anything wrong well neither have i but freedom for me is THEM not knowing where i am, cash is king. If i have a problem with something i take it back and they replace it i obviously keep the receipt even though i paid by cash, its a miracle i know and i never pay by card, phone, watch and don't have telephone banking, i have cash cos cash is king you can't spend more than you've got because you don't have it, you can keep track of what you are spending, cash is king. "

Thanks for your sage advice but I'm happy for "THEM" to track me.

BTW who exactly are "THEM"? As I'll keep a look over my shoulder when shopping.

How do you get your salary paid, by cash?

Well I'm off to spend some of my hard earned.

Will go in one pub and pay by cash and the next by card and see if it makes any difference in the being tracked stakes.

Can you check who is tracking me, are they different to who is tracking you?

I'm just a normal person, are you someone special who needs to be tracked and checked during the day.

Are you sure it's not just your carer who is checking on your spending, letting you have a few bob for sweeties from time to time.

Post new Message to Thread