Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

metformin

Jump to newest

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman
over a year ago

evesham

yes....i am going to ask the dr this tomorrow but as there seems to be a number of diabetics on here and these forums are busier than the diabetes uk ones i thought i'd ask.

how and when do you take yours?

i am on 2 x 1000mg a day and the box just says 'take 2 daily' it doesnt say together or when (ecept for with food)

at the moment i am taking them both together but recently i've wondering if i shouls spread them out over the day?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman
over a year ago

Deviant City

I take one 3 times a day (but I get all my meds in blister packs by the chemist, so don't get much choice!) and usually half way through a meal or immediately after. If taken before food, or 10 minuets later, they make me really sick.....and if I've not long since eaten, its not good hurling chunks, as I choke!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

What type if metformin you on? The normal ones or the modified release ones (MR after the name)

over a year ago

evesham

"What type if metformin you on? The normal ones or the modified release ones (MR after the name)"

glucopage prolonged release ones

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"yes....i am going to ask the dr this tomorrow but as there seems to be a number of diabetics on here and these forums are busier than the diabetes uk ones i thought i'd ask.

i am on 2 x 1000mg a day and the box just says 'take 2 daily' it doesnt say together or when (ecept for with food)

at the moment i am taking them both together but recently i've wondering if i shouls spread them out over the day?"

I would take one either end of the day Evie, with food.

over a year ago

evesham

"yes....i am going to ask the dr this tomorrow but as there seems to be a number of diabetics on here and these forums are busier than the diabetes uk ones i thought i'd ask.

at the moment i am taking them both together but recently i've wondering if i shouls spread them out over the day?I would take one either end of the day Evie, with food."

we're talking either end of the day right??

By *aravancoupleMan
over a year ago

A Secret Hideaway In the caravan of love

at the moment i am taking them both together but recently i've wondering if i shouls spread them out over the day?"

I take 2 x 1000mg at tea time, as they work better over night.

over a year ago

I was always under the impression Metformin is supposed to be taken an hour before food ............ but I could be wrong, different hospitals state different things

By *aravancoupleMan
over a year ago

A Secret Hideaway In the caravan of love

"I was always under the impression Metformin is supposed to be taken an hour before food ............ but I could be wrong, different hospitals state different things "

Just before food or just after

over a year ago

If they prolonged release ones then you should take them together with either your breakfast or main meal. As long as you take them more or less the same time everyday.

My ex was diabetic, and took them for years until she saw a consultant for her crohns disese and he said she shouldn't be taking them because it can mask crohns worse

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

I work in a vet clinic so dispense meds

If a label says take two daily I would read that as take two at once daily with food.

if it says take one twice daily it means take one in morning and one at night.

Ring your pharmacy just to check they have all the info on computer . .

By *umpleteazerWoman
over a year ago

Flintshire

I take mine after each meal

over a year ago

I was on 3 x 850 mg daily.

I've now got it under control and have been put on 3 x 500 mg for 2 weeks and then down to 2..

Only bad side effect i have is a dodgy stomach!!

over a year ago

"I was always under the impression Metformin is supposed to be taken an hour before food ............ but I could be wrong, different hospitals state different things

Just before food or just after"

over a year ago

take 2 with brekkie and 2 with evening meal

over a year ago

Below is taken from the British National Formulary (BNF) for Glucophage SR:

Dose: initially 500 mg once daily, increased every 10–15 days, max. 2 g once daily with evening meal; if control not achieved, use 1 g twice daily with meals, and if control still not achieved change to standard-release tablets.

over a year ago

To limit side effects take in between meal

By *utumnWoman
over a year ago

leeds

I take 3x 850g and whilst my chemist and consultant both say to take one before each meal I take all 3 on a morning without food as I tend not to eat until evening.

Best thing is to check with your consultant or diabetes nurse and go by what they recommend they can then keep an eye on your levels and adjust accordingly

(I am a lousy diabetic in fact this thread just reminded me to take my insulin)

over a year ago

If you was meant to take one twice a day.. That's what it would say 'take one twice a day'

Take 2 daily means take 2 once a day, and that usually means whenever is best for you. Cos if it was meant to be specifically morning or night, it would say take 2 at night.. Etc

Always take with or after food.

over a year ago

evesham

"I take 3x 850g and whilst my chemist and consultant both say to take one before each meal I take all 3 on a morning without food as I tend not to eat until evening.

Best thing is to check with your consultant or diabetes nurse and go by what they recommend they can then keep an eye on your levels and adjust accordingly

(I am a lousy diabetic in fact this thread just reminded me to take my insulin)"

I was rubbish to but the mention of putting me on insulin at my last check up has focused me and have changed my diet significantly and started taking my tablets properly.

over a year ago

I take the slow release ones as the others gave me terrible side effects. I have one in the morning with or after food and meant to take another in the evening, which I rarely do as I usually don't remember! Also take gliclizide (spelt wrong maybe ?)in the morning. Hope you get sorted Evie x

over a year ago

Why are there so many type 2 diabetics on here? Also, most seem to be women... I'd never noticed... What is the connection with swinging?

over a year ago

evesham

"Why are there so many type 2 diabetics on here? Also, most seem to be women... I'd never noticed... What is the connection with swinging?"

Nothing I just think that the incidence if diabetes is going up generally. Plus as a percentage of site users I think the number if people in this thread is quite small lol

over a year ago

"Why are there so many type 2 diabetics on here? Also, most seem to be women... I'd never noticed... What is the connection with swinging?"

Hmmmm, good point about it being mainly women...i wonder if it has anything to do with chocolate consumption?

over a year ago

"Why are there so many type 2 diabetics on here? Also, most seem to be women... I'd never noticed... What is the connection with swinging?

Hmmmm, good point about it being mainly women...i wonder if it has anything to do with chocolate consumption? "

I was gonna say they also seem to be BBWs but was afraid I'd suffer the wrath of the forumites. Truth is that obesity is a pre-disposing factor for type 2 DM. Not sure if there are more obese women on Fabs than in the general population... Would be an interesting study to do...

over a year ago

i am on 500 mg and take one after breakfast and one after tea.

Post new Message to Thread