Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Dentists - why would you

Jump to newest

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

avoid them? I mean seriously, why would people avoid having their teeth checked twice a year and having a hygienist remove any build up of plaque?

I work with people and I am often confronted with moderately to really bad breath that could be so easily taken care of.

Sorry, folks for posting a negative thread but I really cannot understand the reluctance of going to see the dentist.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

Bad breath isnt always a dental problem....

By *istress_L-CaptainCouple
over a year ago

Southport

I go once a year but I need to be dragged! Its not that I want bad teeth etc but I have a phobia of the dentist! I sit in the chair and automatically start crying! I can't stop it. I know there is nothing wrong.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"Bad breath isnt always a dental problem....

"

Granted, I was just referring to halitosis as a result of lack of dental hygine including visits to the dentist.

By *asey369Woman
over a year ago

London

I love going to see my hygienist as the teeth look and feel so good after. I actually view it like a beauty treatment!

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I go once a year but I need to be dragged! Its not that I want bad teeth etc but I have a phobia of the dentist! I sit in the chair and automatically start crying! I can't stop it. I know there is nothing wrong.

"

Do you think that there is perhaps a generation of people who maybe had a bad experience of pain at the dentist which has left them so scared they rather avoid the issue?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

if its laziness theres no excuse

If its a phobia then that's hard to explain, why is anyone scared of anything? they just are

I have a fear of water, im 37 years old and I cant swim, theres no way I would ever go in a pool or the sea, I panic if im in the shower and my face gets wet, I hate water on my face, took me 5 years of going to clubs to brave the jacizzi and even now I always sit near the steps and im very on edge, if anyone gets in and they start messing about or have sex and the water moves to much or I get splashed I can feel my heart beat rise and I have to get out, if people feel the way I do about water towards dentists I can understand why they don't go

over a year ago

Not been in 15 years - never had toothache or needed a filling

There is no need to visit a dentist if you take care of your teeth properly

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I love going to see my hygienist as the teeth look and feel so good after. I actually view it like a beauty treatment!"
I do, too. I have always seen my dentist twice a year for check ups and the hygienist 2 or 3 times a year - on the list of personal priorities it ranks before a new outfit or pair of shoes.

over a year ago

I am terrified. I can't get any treatment done.. I just about manage check ups. And even struggle to take the kids in.

I am strict with my hygiene regime though.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"Not been in 15 years - never had toothache or needed a filling

"

Maybe you are a lucky chap who has no fillings and no deposist between teeth and around the gums. The majority of people however, do need to see a dentist at regular intervals.

By *tressfreeMan
over a year ago

Towcester

"avoid them? I mean seriously, why would people avoid having their teeth checked twice a year and having a hygienist remove any build up of plaque?

I work with people and I am often confronted with moderately to really bad breath that could be so easily taken care of.

Sorry, folks for posting a negative thread but I really cannot understand the reluctance of going to see the dentist. "

With you all the way . I've seen a dentist every six months for 50 years and never had a snog refuse due to bad breath lol xx

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I am terrified. I can't get any treatment done.. I just about manage check ups. And even struggle to take the kids in.

I am strict with my hygiene regime though. "

Some dentists are now really good at helping the scared and traumatised people to slowly get over the fear. I was very conscious also of taking my kids for check ups from the time they were babies so that they just learnt to see it as something you do, like having a shower. It paid off for me as they kept it up.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I don't have a problem with dentists, needles, pain or anything associated with them, but if I don't need to go, then I don't.

Much in the same token as if I don't need to borrow a book, I don't go to the library

By *istress_L-CaptainCouple
over a year ago

Southport

I never had anything bad happen to me. It started the first time I was taken to the dentist by my mum. So we have no idea why it happens.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"avoid them? I mean seriously, why would people avoid having their teeth checked twice a year and having a hygienist remove any build up of plaque?

Sorry, folks for posting a negative thread but I really cannot understand the reluctance of going to see the dentist.

With you all the way . I've seen a dentist every six months for 50 years and never had a snog refuse due to bad breath lol xx"

Sorry I am ranting or appearing to be ranting. I just came across somebody today who had bad breath and proudly announced they had not been to the dentist in 10 years. The person said that they were cleaning their teeth all the while!!!! It was positively horrible to be close to them.

over a year ago

"

I actually agree

I am not scared of the dentist but I don't go unless I need to, if I get any pain or such like I will go straight away but I clean my teeth twice a day and I don't eat to much sugar and my teeth are in good condition, so why would I go twice a year to be told everythings ok?

Pain is natures way of telling you somethings wrong, if theres no pain everythings ok im my eyes

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I don't have a problem with dentists, needles, pain or anything associated with them, but if I don't need to go, then I don't.

Much in the same token as if I don't need to borrow a book, I don't go to the library "

But dont you think it is a good idea to go for regular check ups? I dont NEED to go either as 9 out of 10 times my teeth are fine. It is the regular service though that keeps them healthy and prevents bad breath. Perhaps you are another lucky person who does not suffer from build up of plaque and who has really good teeth?

over a year ago

"I go once a year but I need to be dragged! Its not that I want bad teeth etc but I have a phobia of the dentist! I sit in the chair and automatically start crying! I can't stop it. I know there is nothing wrong.

Do you think that there is perhaps a generation of people who maybe had a bad experience of pain at the dentist which has left them so scared they rather avoid the issue? "

yes.i'm living proof of it. i go, not as often as i should but I'm terrified

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I never had anything bad happen to me. It started the first time I was taken to the dentist by my mum. So we have no idea why it happens."
Sure, understand. Sometimes it is that other people instill a fear in us by comments they make about having to go to the dentist. That is why I was curious.

over a year ago

I really like going 2 my dentist, she's a real hottie

By *tressfreeMan
over a year ago

Towcester

With you all the way . I've seen a dentist every six months for 50 years and never had a snog refuse due to bad breath lol xx

Sorry I am ranting or appearing to be ranting. I just came across somebody today who had bad breath and proudly announced they had not been to the dentist in 10 years. The person said that they were cleaning their teeth all the while!!!! It was positively horrible to be close to them. "

The only draw back is that fifty years ago they were ruthless and drilled the living the out of our teeth unnecessarily

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

I actually agree

I am not scared of the dentist but I don't go unless I need to, if I get any pain or such like I will go straight away but I clean my teeth twice a day and I don't eat to much sugar and my teeth are in good condition, so why would I go twice a year to be told everythings ok?

Pain is natures way of telling you somethings wrong, if theres no pain everythings ok im my eyes "

I would agree with you on other health issues but sometimes a visit to check detects early cavities which can be fixed before they turn into bigger ones. Besides it is that freshness of breath you can get after a hygienist treatment. I really love it.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I really like going 2 my dentist, she's a real hottie "
I d say anything to get people there is ok in my books

over a year ago

I can understand why people don't go. I was put off for 10 years by a horrible experience. I only started going again when I had my first child and I needed top take them. I am absolutely petrified of the dentist. Luckily I only have to see my dentist once a year but I see the hygienist twice a year....and I only do that because she's really patient with me and uses a gel to numb my mouth!....I'm such a chicken when it comes to teeth!

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

Sorry I am ranting or appearing to be ranting. I just came across somebody today who had bad breath and proudly announced they had not been to the dentist in 10 years. The person said that they were cleaning their teeth all the while!!!! It was positively horrible to be close to them.

The only draw back is that fifty years ago they were ruthless and drilled the living the out of our teeth unnecessarily "

And maybe some of that lived on for a bit longer and turned people off. These days you can have a local anaesthetic for anything and it ensures you feel no pain.

over a year ago

I had a Dental Phobia too, but it was the choice of losing all my teeth or going for treatment. The treatment won. Now I'm not too bad Also helps that my Dentist is Gorgeous x

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I can understand why people don't go. I was put off for 10 years by a horrible experience. I only started going again when I had my first child and I needed top take them. I am absolutely petrified of the dentist. Luckily I only have to see my dentist once a year but I see the hygienist twice a year....and I only do that because she's really patient with me and uses a gel to numb my mouth!....I'm such a chicken when it comes to teeth!"
I can empathise with you, I really can understand and good for you that you are going! Chicken or not

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I had a Dental Phobia too, but it was the choice of losing all my teeth or going for treatment. The treatment won. Now I'm not too bad Also helps that my Dentist is Gorgeous x "
Brilliant - mine is very nice as well but that is not the reason - HONEST

over a year ago

it makes me wonder as well when i have met men who have a lot more money than little old me and their breath smells of plaque.

i was seeing a nice dentist only she couldnt of been much good because when she left and i had to see another one he said my gums were bad, and arranged for me to see a hygenist a few times, then to see one every six months which i do now.

my hubby has a phobia of dentists though and never sees one yet his breath doesnt smell.

By *i 1 Get 1 FreeCouple (MM)
over a year ago

birmingham

"avoid them? I mean seriously, why would people avoid having their teeth checked twice a year and having a hygienist remove any build up of plaque?"

Sadly, childhood experiences / memories can have a devastating effect throughout one's adult life

By *asey369Woman
over a year ago

London

"I love going to see my hygienist as the teeth look and feel so good after. I actually view it like a beauty treatment!I do, too. I have always seen my dentist twice a year for check ups and the hygienist 2 or 3 times a year - on the list of personal priorities it ranks before a new outfit or pair of shoes. "

Me and my hygienist actually do the "hairdresser air kiss" when I leave!

over a year ago

"

Sorry I am ranting or appearing to be ranting. I just came across somebody today who had bad breath and proudly announced they had not been to the dentist in 10 years. The person said that they were cleaning their teeth all the while!!!! It was positively horrible to be close to them. "

I entirely sympathise with you. I have a over developed sense of smell (borderline Hyperosmia) and with particularly bad breath I can smell it lingering in the air when a person has left the room....and don't get me stared on body odour, they may as well leave a calling card!

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"it makes me wonder as well when i have met men who have a lot more money than little old me and their breath smells of plaque.

i was seeing a nice dentist only she couldnt of been much good because when she left and i had to see another one he said my gums were bad, and arranged for me to see a hygenist a few times, then to see one every six months which i do now.

my hubby has a phobia of dentists though and never sees one yet his breath doesnt smell."

Some people are lucky with good genes and healthy teeth throughout their lives, others are not so fortunate. Our dentist and hygienist make a point of showing every patient the proper way of cleaning their teeth- they dont single anybody out so people dont feel singled out. They show the proper way ona a model and then get the patient to copy the proper way (80% get it wrong to begin with) - they recommend not just brushing but flossing and using interdental brushes to avoid gums becoming red and inflamed as well.

By *tressfreeMan
over a year ago

Towcester

The only draw back is that fifty years ago they were ruthless and drilled the living the out of our teeth unnecessarily And maybe some of that lived on for a bit longer and turned people off. These days you can have a local anaesthetic for anything and it ensures you feel no pain. "

It wasn't the pain that bothers me now it the fact that they were so wrong in their approach. But infinitely better than my mothers generation who would have all their teeth taken out in one hit, ouch!

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

Sadly, childhood experiences / memories can have a devastating effect throughout one's adult life "

I do empathise - really I do. xx

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"

I entirely sympathise with you. I have a over developed sense of smell (borderline Hyperosmia) and with particularly bad breath I can smell it lingering in the air when a person has left the room....and don't get me stared on body odour, they may as well leave a calling card!

"

Snap, me too. It is a bit of a curse, isnt it?

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

The only draw back is that fifty years ago they were ruthless and drilled the living the out of our teeth unnecessarily And maybe some of that lived on for a bit longer and turned people off. These days you can have a local anaesthetic for anything and it ensures you feel no pain.

It wasn't the pain that bothers me now it the fact that they were so wrong in their approach. But infinitely better than my mothers generation who would have all their teeth taken out in one hit, ouch! "

We have come a long way in terms of dental care and the approach dentists take these days - it is so much more patient friendly!

What gets me sometimes is the excuses ... I totally get somebody having a phobia and struggling with that fear. But I have heard people blame the local water on the fact they have bad teeth and gums...

over a year ago

"I had a Dental Phobia too, but it was the choice of losing all my teeth or going for treatment. The treatment won. Now I'm not too bad Also helps that my Dentist is Gorgeous x "

Although we visit our dentist for twice yearly checkups and any treatment necessary we do have a phobia about it.......the cost!

XXXX

By *tressfreeMan
over a year ago

Towcester

I wonder if phobia can be an excuse sometimes. Sorry, come on its pain but not at a high level!!!!!

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I had a Dental Phobia too, but it was the choice of losing all my teeth or going for treatment. The treatment won. Now I'm not too bad Also helps that my Dentist is Gorgeous x

Although we visit our dentist for twice yearly checkups and any treatment necessary we do have a phobia about it.......the cost!

XXXX"

lol.. I understand that, too. I pay something like £ 30 a month for the basic cover and that covers check ups, dental work and twice yearly hygienist. If I choose a third treatment that costs about £ 60 ata time. Not cheap, I agree but worth it.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"But dont you think it is a good idea to go for regular check ups? I dont NEED to go either as 9 out of 10 times my teeth are fine. It is the regular service though that keeps them healthy and prevents bad breath. Perhaps you are another lucky person who does not suffer from build up of plaque and who has really good teeth?"

You can stop the build up of plaque without the need for a dental appointment, flossing & mouthwash for example. Bad breath can be caused by many things, quite a lot of which are non dental related

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

im also terrified of the dentist to the point that I sit crying before I have to visit .. however she is really good and has agreed in advance to never put a needle near me which is the root of my fear. If she does carry out any procedure without anaesthetic she is also very patient with me which makes a massive difference

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"But dont you think it is a good idea to go for regular check ups? I dont NEED to go either as 9 out of 10 times my teeth are fine. It is the regular service though that keeps them healthy and prevents bad breath. Perhaps you are another lucky person who does not suffer from build up of plaque and who has really good teeth?

You can stop the build up of plaque without the need for a dental appointment, flossing & mouthwash for example. Bad breath can be caused by many things, quite a lot of which are non dental related "

Agreed on both accounts - if only everybody di floss and take care ... Imagine that... I would not have to have a Monday night rant

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"im also terrified of the dentist to the point that I sit crying before I have to visit .. however she is really good and has agreed in advance to never put a needle near me which is the root of my fear. If she does carry out any procedure without anaesthetic she is also very patient with me which makes a massive difference "
ANd you may well find in due course the fear will lessen as you learn to trust her more!

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I wonder if phobia can be an excuse sometimes. Sorry, come on its pain but not at a high level!!!!! "

It needn't be painful at all. Modern dental anaesthetics are brilliant.

over a year ago

"im also terrified of the dentist to the point that I sit crying before I have to visit .. however she is really good and has agreed in advance to never put a needle near me which is the root of my fear. If she does carry out any procedure without anaesthetic she is also very patient with me which makes a massive difference "

Have you been offered the gel? It doesn't numb as much as an injection but does take the edge off it....tastes vile though but def worth it.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

regular as clockwork all my life and last had a filling 34 years ago. my son started getting checkups even before teeth appeared. the dentist just checked him at my appointments for about first 18months

By *ss2011Man
over a year ago

Leeds/Bradford

I would rather have a phobia of going to the dentist than to have one of pills/capsules. I won't touch a pill, ever! It'll be my downfall one day.

By *tressfreeMan
over a year ago

Towcester

"I wonder if phobia can be an excuse sometimes. Sorry, come on its pain but not at a high level!!!!!

It needn't be painful at all. Modern dental anaesthetics are brilliant."

exactly, and speaking as someone who had fillings with not pain killers I can say its great now

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"regular as clockwork all my life and last had a filling 34 years ago. my son started getting checkups even before teeth appeared. the dentist just checked him at my appointments for about first 18months"
I really believe that this early introduction sets good life time habits!

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

my fear of needles is ludicrous to the point that i can without thought become aggressive .. this is why I warn doctors dentists etc in advance and insist that it is written into my medical notes. Its not something that I am proud of, quite the contrary but as long as everyone is aware of it, it doesnt generally cause me or anyone else any issues, we just go down the no anesthetic route all happy !

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I would rather have a phobia of going to the dentist than to have one of pills/capsules. I won't touch a pill, ever! It'll be my downfall one day. "
You can get help with that - from CBT to NLP, hypnotherapy and other relaxation techniques

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

"

Have you been offered the gel? It doesn't numb as much as an injection but does take the edge off it....tastes vile though but def worth it."

no not heard of that at all but will ask about it .. thanks ever so much for the heads up

By *asey369Woman
over a year ago

London

There is a piece of equipment at my dentist called "the wand", entirely numbs the tooth which needs work, rest of mouth fine. Dentists have come a long way in ten years!

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Twice a year without fail....

over a year ago

My Phobia wasn't because of pain

It was caused by a malicious horrid School Dentist and the dreaded Gas Mask to knock us out. And later on the 4 injections it took for one filling yukkkkkkk.

Taking my ipod to listen to and deep slow breathing finally helped me x

By *scariMan
over a year ago

Taunton

I have just started going again after years of not, i cannot describe the fear!! Always has terrified me, even reading this thread and writing this has an effect. the whole sharp implements in my mouth and the helplessness is all consuming, people suggest anesthetic, but that opens up a whole new element, not knowing what would be happening!

So many people are scared of spiders(which seems to be universally excepted) snakes, mice, water etc.

Mine is the dentist.

I made a New year resolution to get my teeth sorted, found an understanding dentist, but it still petrifies me! i admit to tears, nearly ripping the arms off the chair and physically shaking during my 2 visits!

If you are not scared it is easy to be critical and or judgemental of people who avoid it!

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

totally understand everything you say there _scari .. and well done you getting over it. I think an understanding dentist makes a huge difference as does a patient one for the times we loose it completely mid procedure

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Is it safe

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

"Is it safe "

not for you bad boy !!

over a year ago

"These days you can have a local anaesthetic for anything and it ensures you feel no pain. "

I can't have a local. It involves a needle. I can not have a dentist go near my mouth with a needle. I need some pretty extensive work doing currently. But we have tried 9 times now. Most i have had them do is look in my mouth. Can't even have them clean them for me.

I would love to get it sorted. But I can't. I have however managed not to pass this on to my children. Who all go every 6 months.

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

cali .. totally sympathise with you .. chat with your dentist and explain your fears. Depends what you need done but most procedures that ive had can be done without anesthestic and although it isnt pleasant and it does hurt, I find it a preferable route

over a year ago

Neither can i don't really like them but its has to be done.

One of my boys is terrified after some bad experiences but even he still sits there and faces up to it.

over a year ago

I think the price may have something to do with it

over a year ago

I accept that some have a dental phobia and a fear of needles, but if you want to remain healthy then it is something that has to be conquered. Harsh I know but true. I don't like a needle in the gum but I'd cry a lot more if I had a mouth full of decaying teeth.

My son is frightened but he has to go. In fact he has to have a crown and is having inhalation sedation, so things are so much better nowadays then in the olden days of having big silver fillings.

I think cost is a big factor on why people don't go and of course those on benefits are exempt.

I always use an electric toothbrush and I've found that this is much easier than having a manual toothbrush. Strangely though I've always wanted a gold crown at the back but never had to have any

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

its about 40 quid every 6 months aint it ?

over a year ago

"cali .. totally sympathise with you .. chat with your dentist and explain your fears. Depends what you need done but most procedures that ive had can be done without anesthestic and although it isnt pleasant and it does hurt, I find it a preferable route "

I have. It's got to the stage now of giving up. It's not safe for them to be in my mouth. I am just as likely to lash out if it hurts. I need two wisdom teeth removing. And to teeth removing from back just for starters. I have kinda accepted it. I do keep trying but I am getting worse.

I've even had therapy. But don't think that works for me. I really want them to put me out and do the work. But I can only have anesthesia if dire emergencies. So screwed really.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 18/03/13 20:33:51]

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

cali .. we are singing off the same hymn sheet here and I also can become very violent if I see a needle without warning .. I now warn every medical practioner in advance as i did bring book shelves down lashing out in a doctors surgery ... omg .. cringe !!

ask your dentist to be referred to a dental hosital and they may have more appropriate options available for such a major operation .. i know my dentist offered me such a route but I know it will vary from region to region .. best of luck .. you will get there !

over a year ago

Thanks my problem is that I can not have general anesthesia unless it's urgent. So edon't know what I will do.

I am a nightmare to get a drip into. Yet I have to have blood tests monthly and can do that. But I have been having them for so many years. But if I see the needle or the tubes for the blood i freak. X

over a year ago

I did not actively avoided going to the dentist, just did not believe it is necessary to go regularly unless something is wrong.

Now I go on a regular basis.

By *pecifically1Woman
over a year ago

Hull

I am absolutely petrified of the dentist....I am often in tears by the time I actually get into the chair.

But I have a fantastically patient dentist who will take his time with me and because of that I go religiously....never failing an appointment or putting it off.

I have had every treatment possible on my mouth ad I have terrible teeth but still I go.....

Post new Message to Thread