Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

cyprus/germany/war??

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

The people of Cyprus are burning the German flag, there is heightened anti German feeling across many Southern European countries. Is history repeating itself and is Europe heading for conflict?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

No....

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Hmmmm bet the Germans are crapping themselves at the thought of the mighty Cypriot army lol. Think the Turkish might take advantage of any Cypriot invasion lol.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"Hmmmm bet the Germans are crapping themselves at the thought of the mighty Cypriot army lol. Think the Turkish might take advantage of any Cypriot invasion lol."

It would be a bit of a mismatch! But I can see a scenario where all of the tension boils over somewhere, history shows the Balkan states are normally a starting point and others get sucked in.

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

Those bastard Germans eh?

Bailing out all those tin pot countries with their own cash and then expecting these backwaters to pay only a fraction of it back. Farkin liberty!

over a year ago

There'll be olive oil on the streets of Berlin......and popeyes not happy lol.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

The Cypriot banks have been courting hefty deposits from Russians, half of all Greek Cypriot businesses and hotels are owned by Russians, they own every fast food franchise on South of the island.....

Which is the reason for the levy on savings, why should EU citizens bail out non EU citizens when Cypriot banks get in trouble?

over a year ago

"The people of Cyprus are burning the German flag, there is heightened anti German feeling across many Southern European countries. Is history repeating itself and is Europe heading for conflict?"

Military conflict no

other kinds possibly

over a year ago

"The Cypriot banks have been courting hefty deposits from Russians, half of all Greek Cypriot businesses and hotels are owned by Russians, they own every fast food franchise on South of the island.....

Which is the reason for the levy on savings, why should EU citizens bail out non EU citizens when Cypriot banks get in trouble?"

Because that's what EU citizens have done in Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece etc etc etc..

When my money is in MY bank account it's supposed to be safe. It's certainly not for the govt to suddenly decide they want 10% of it in exchange for shares in an almost bankrupt bank operating in an almost bankrupt country.

If Cyprus has a problem with dodgy Russian money then let them legislate to counteract that specific thing, not levy the entire country so that they catch the Russian cash too.

over a year ago

"The Cypriot banks have been courting hefty deposits from Russians, half of all Greek Cypriot businesses and hotels are owned by Russians, they own every fast food franchise on South of the island.....

Which is the reason for the levy on savings, why should EU citizens bail out non EU citizens when Cypriot banks get in trouble?

Because that's what EU citizens have done in Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece etc etc etc..

When my money is in MY bank account it's supposed to be safe. It's certainly not for the govt to suddenly decide they want 10% of it in exchange for shares in an almost bankrupt bank operating in an almost bankrupt country.

If Cyprus has a problem with dodgy Russian money then let them legislate to counteract that specific thing, not levy the entire country so that they catch the Russian cash too."

If the Cypriots get away with the levy, I wonder which country will try it next?

It takes the notion of 'We are all in it together' to a whole new level!!

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

It's the sheer amounts of Russian money that is the problem, on C4 news they said the World Bank estimated up to 80% of all Greek Cypriot bank deposits are from non EU sources.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"...................If the Cypriots get away with the levy, I wonder which country will try it next?

........................."

Take your pick from Spain, Italy or Portugal.

over a year ago

"...................If the Cypriots get away with the levy, I wonder which country will try it next?

Take your pick from Spain, Italy or Portugal."

Oh I bet David Cameron's watching what happens very carefully!

over a year ago

"It's the sheer amounts of Russian money that is the problem, on C4 news they said the World Bank estimated up to 80% of all Greek Cypriot bank deposits are from non EU sources.

"

So the Cypriot govt that created safe havens for dodgy Russian cash is now being dictated to by Brussels and ordered to levy it's entire populace so that the EU can get it's mitts on this vast Russian wealth?

There is something very underhand going on here and the Cypriot people are taking the hit for it.

over a year ago

Glad all my moneys offshore

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Take your pick from Spain, Italy or Portugal."

Italy are strong favourites apparantly...

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Glad all my moneys offshore"

Isle of Wight?....

over a year ago

"It's the sheer amounts of Russian money that is the problem, on C4 news they said the World Bank estimated up to 80% of all Greek Cypriot bank deposits are from non EU sources.

So the Cypriot govt that created safe havens for dodgy Russian cash is now being dictated to by Brussels and ordered to levy it's entire populace so that the EU can get it's mitts on this vast Russian wealth?

There is something very underhand going on here and the Cypriot people are taking the hit for it."

My suspicion is that Cyprus is the litmus test for it to go off all over the Eurozone - and possibly the UK too.

Italy. Spain. France, then the UK - if the resulting riots in the first three countries aren't too bad!

By *xpresMan
over a year ago

Elland

Im sorry but your talking crap nope its just a country on its knees n the comon people venting they see the germans as being the start of the finantial end

By *e nicerWoman
over a year ago

Costa del Medway

"The people of Cyprus are burning the German flag, there is heightened anti German feeling across many Southern European countries. Is history repeating itself and is Europe heading for conflict?"

half of the people? no trouble in the north as far as I know.

over a year ago

There is something very underhand going on here and the Cypriot people are taking the hit for it.

My suspicion is that Cyprus is the litmus test for it to go off all over the Eurozone - and possibly the UK too.

Italy. Spain. France, then the UK - if the resulting riots in the first three countries aren't too bad!

"

You can hear Gideon's brain whirring away from here

By *e nicerWoman
over a year ago

Costa del Medway

"Glad all my moneys offshore

Isle of Wight?...."

naaa Isle o Sheppey

Post new Message to Thread