Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Euthanasia

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Now I know it isn't the same, but my cat is on her last legs and I am dreading the trip to the vet tomorrow as I suspect he is going to recommend I put the little old lady down so she can pass away with dignity and without any more suffering. She is 19 and I will miss her. But it made me think if a 92 (age equivalent) person were unable to move, unable to function, was in pain and had no quality of life, would it ever be acceptable to have that person put to sleep in the same way?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

personally, yes.

over a year ago

it is, just not on this country

By *rsIdiotWoman
over a year ago

Bedworth

If I were in the same sort of state it's what I would want

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I am all for it... If a person is so incapacitated to not fuction and that the only thing that is "living" is their heart to keep the body "alive" then yes a person should choose to live or die...

However it would have to be the wishes of the person.. I would never assume that its what they wanted without stating it no matter how incapacitated they were..

By *G LanaTV/TS
over a year ago

Gosport

Only in a civilised society, so clearly not here.

over a year ago

I say yes....you wouldnt see an animal suffer so why should human beings be any different, i deal with this on a daily basis and its heart breaking.

By *asey369Woman
over a year ago

London

"I am all for it... If a person is so incapacitated to not fuction and that the only thing that is "living" is their heart to keep the body "alive" then yes a person should choose to live or die...

However it would have to be the wishes of the person.. I would never assume that its what they wanted without stating it no matter how incapacitated they were.. "

A living will can help with this to some extent.

over a year ago

where would you draw the live tho, what if its a child who legally isn't old enough to make such a choice or to young to understand whats happening, who then has the rights to decide when to end their life, or are children left to suffer?

over a year ago

"I say yes....you wouldnt see an animal suffer so why should human beings be any different, i deal with this on a daily basis and its heart breaking. "

over a year ago

"where would you draw the live tho, what if its a child who legally isn't old enough to make such a choice or to young to understand whats happening, who then has the rights to decide when to end their life, or are children left to suffer? "

I guess the myriad of moral and legal issues are why successive governments have given the issue a wide berth. It is a very emotive issue.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Yes and thats why i have a living will

By *asey369Woman
over a year ago

London

"where would you draw the live tho, what if its a child who legally isn't old enough to make such a choice or to young to understand whats happening, who then has the rights to decide when to end their life, or are children left to suffer? "

In the case of child then it falls to who ever holds parental responsibility to make the best decision for them.

over a year ago

"I say yes....you wouldnt see an animal suffer so why should human beings be any different, i deal with this on a daily basis and its heart breaking.

"

over a year ago

Yes

over a year ago

Yes I would not want to be a burden on family and the state

over a year ago

"Yes I would not want to be a burden on family and the state"

I guess we are all burdens on state and family in some way. It would be very difficult to say when someone's time was up, how do you base the decision?

over a year ago

Mecca would be out of business

By *ady4ladyWoman
over a year ago

liverpool

yes yes and yes, I dont want to die, but I couldnt live knowing life was never going to get bettter, only worse.

xx

By *ady4ladyWoman
over a year ago

liverpool

"Mecca would be out of business"

Sprinkles holy water around your post

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I wouldn't want to live like that and would hope that if I couldn't do it myself there would be someone to help me die.

So the right thing by the cat and let her go and remember the good times you had with her.

over a year ago

"Yes I would not want to be a burden on family and the state

I guess we are all burdens on state and family in some way. It would be very difficult to say when someone's time was up, how do you base the decision? "

my 93 year old nan had a stroke and fell out of bed and fractured her spine. in hospital they found she had liver cancer. due to complications with her diabetes she got gangrene in both her feet. its not always difficult to decide when someone's time is up. if i had the guts i would have sent her on her way.

over a year ago

All fit it, and I would like to choose when and how to die.

over a year ago

"I wouldn't want to live like that and would hope that if I couldn't do it myself there would be someone to help me die.

So the right thing by the cat and let her go and remember the good times you had with her."

Thank you. She has been on borrowed time for a while and today seems to have given up so it is her time and it is the right thing to do. Just wonder if I would have the guts if it was an elderly relative in the same position.

over a year ago

19 is a hell of a run for a cat. you must both have some fond memories and i think if shes suffering giving her a peaceful end is the right thing to do

ive had to go through having a family cat of well over 10 years put to sleep. it was really upsetting but knowing his pain was over and he was in kitty heaven helped. along with all the fond memories of having him as part of the fam since he was a kitten

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

we have discussed this at home many times. My main fear is dimentia I do not want to live if my brain has gone. To not remember who I am or my family is pointless existence to me.To waste the kids inheritance on a home is more than pointless.

I wish to be given the chance to pass away with dignity.

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

I would like to think that I would recognise when my time was up, but I can't honestly say that I would have the courage to end my life! Or even want my living will evoked, should I make one.

Cold light of day thoughts are that I would want it to happen, but if I was aware, I couldn't really say....

What I will say though op, is that your companion has had a good life, now is the time to let go xx

over a year ago

"Yes I would not want to be a burden on family and the state

I guess we are all burdens on state and family in some way. It would be very difficult to say when someone's time was up, how do you base the decision? "

I have a do not resuscitate with my lawyer and doctor, that my family also know about, if I am on supported life, I want it switched off. It costs over £1000 per day, the money could be better spent. my life , my choice.

I have been a private carer for many years and as much as I love my job, I can see what it does to the individual and the family. Its not for me.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

when i made the decision along with the hospital to withdraw my dads medication although heartbreaking it was actually a very easy decision to make. my dad had always made his feelings known about being brain damaged

over a year ago

"when i made the decision along with the hospital to withdraw my dads medication although heartbreaking it was actually a very easy decision to make. my dad had always made his feelings known about being brain damaged"

I think I would find it easier to withdraw medication in line with someones wishes, than say enough is enough and inject something that would end a life.

Post new Message to Thread