Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Comic relief

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

No it's no a whingy post but a pat on the back post!

Having lived in Australia for a year I noticed that they don't have anything like this and as far as I'm aware (correct me if I'm wrong) no where else does this or not on the scale that we do it.

I think it's pretty special

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I agree...

By *mm_n_ZedCouple
over a year ago

Fareham

It's a national institution now - we should be rightly proud of it

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I wish some of it was actually funny though

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman
over a year ago

Deviant City

I love comic relief and children in need. Always donate

By *ady4ladyWoman
over a year ago

liverpool

I manned the phone lines for the very first one in 1985, amazing to think that it is still needed almost 30 yrs later.

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

We're a pretty generous country really - most folk are happy to throw what they can in charity boxes and stuff like Comic Relief and Children in Need always gets good support - it always humbles me when I watch the clips and reminds me how well off I actually am compared to a hell of a lot of people in other countries as well as our own

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

"I wish some of it was actually funny though "

I've found some of it over the years hasn't been as funny, but there's nearly always a few things that make me laugh - enjoyed the Call the Midwife sketch so far and giggled at Lenny hugging Ed Milliband

over a year ago

Jack whitehall just made me laugh out loud!

To Michel Roux Jnr

"Your michelin stars, do you wear them on a badge like in McDonalds?"

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"Jack whitehall just made me laugh out loud!

To Michel Roux Jnr

"

was a great line

over a year ago

Comic relief.... pah!! If we as a nation and many other countries didnt rip off... rape and pillage 3rd world countries they wouldnt need our support. We go in these countries stealing there minerals and oil... exploit their people and pay them pence for our rebok trainners and addidas tracksuits... sell them weapons so they can blow each others heads off.... the list is endless the bbc should spend more time telling us facts about how we destroy such countries than sending some up there own arse celeb who sheds a tear at terrible sights but returns to a warm comfy hotel at the end of a hard day!!

Rant over and out

over a year ago

"Jack whitehall just made me laugh out loud!

To Michel Roux Jnr

was a great line "

It was. I love Jack

over a year ago

"Comic relief.... pah!! If we as a nation and many other countries didnt rip off... rape and pillage 3rd world countries they wouldnt need our support. We go in these countries stealing there minerals and oil... exploit their people and pay them pence for our rebok trainners and addidas tracksuits... sell them weapons so they can blow each others heads off.... the list is endless the bbc should spend more time telling us facts about how we destroy such countries than sending some up there own arse celeb who sheds a tear at terrible sights but returns to a warm comfy hotel at the end of a hard day!!

Rant over and out "

I don't think it's quite that cut and dry, but essentially I agree. That doesn't stand as argument against our help now though, or that we should have pride in having a history of charity.

What does bother me is the balance of 'firefighting' vs long term investment. More money being used to fund new factories to supply mosquito nets, training scientists in Africa etc. etc. ?

over a year ago

"I wish some of it was actually funny though

I've found some of it over the years hasn't been as funny, but there's nearly always a few things that make me laugh - enjoyed the Call the Midwife sketch so far and giggled at Lenny hugging Ed Milliband "

I love the midwife sketch and now patiently waiting for vicar of dibley

over a year ago

"Comic relief.... pah!! If we as a nation and many other countries didnt rip off... rape and pillage 3rd world countries they wouldnt need our support. We go in these countries stealing there minerals and oil... exploit their people and pay them pence for our rebok trainners and addidas tracksuits... sell them weapons so they can blow each others heads off.... the list is endless the bbc should spend more time telling us facts about how we destroy such countries than sending some up there own arse celeb who sheds a tear at terrible sights but returns to a warm comfy hotel at the end of a hard day!!

Rant over and out

I don't think it's quite that cut and dry, but essentially I agree. That doesn't stand as argument against our help now though, or that we should have pride in having a history of charity.

What does bother me is the balance of 'firefighting' vs long term investment. More money being used to fund new factories to supply mosquito nets, training scientists in Africa etc. etc. ?"

They do but that takes time and they also need immediate help..

Also someone said its amazing its still needed 30 years on.. But it takes time to make a change..

I love the fact one direction have done the single.. No matter what u think of them the fact is they are one of the biggest bands on the planet and have made the single no1 across the world! Amazing

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

There are lots of little charities here that you/we just would not dig into our pockets to give money. Comic Relief/Sport Relief and Children In Need provide a really efficient vehicle for getting that money, spreading it around and tracking the benefit and difference the money makes.

It is really difficult choosing which organisations get supported and which don't, here and in Africa.

So far I have loved the James Corden rant and Ricky Gervais resurrecting David Brent.

over a year ago

Rant over and out

What does bother me is the balance of 'firefighting' vs long term investment. More money being used to fund new factories to supply mosquito nets, training scientists in Africa etc. etc. ?

Also someone said its amazing its still needed 30 years on.. But it takes time to make a change..

I love the fact one direction have done the single.. No matter what u think of them the fact is they are one of the biggest bands on the planet and have made the single no1 across the world! Amazing"

What's the balance though? Do those drugs come from Kenya or somewhere else?

25 years is time to train a whole generation of nurses, doctors, scientists and invest in the infrastructure needed. That kind of investment wouldn't just help people help themselves - potentially they could one day be helping us.

Kind of hard to sex that long term stuff up with a sob story by One Direction though.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"

I love the fact one direction have done the single.. No matter what u think of them the fact is they are one of the biggest bands on the planet and have made the single no1 across the world! Amazing"

I agree, I hate the One Direction mash of two great songs but their profile means that it is a global number 1 and that money will be put to good use.

My 8 year old nephew heard it this evening and said, "we've got the proper version of this. Why have they messed it up?" He's been brought up well.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"What's the balance though? Do those drugs come from Kenya or somewhere else?

25 years is time to train a whole generation of nurses, doctors, scientists and invest in the infrastructure needed. That kind of investment wouldn't just help people help themselves - potentially they could one day be helping us.

Kind of hard to sex that long term stuff up with a sob story by One Direction though."

International aid work is complex and lots of funders do work together to try and deal with the infrastructure issues and put in place long term projects to create long term change. Look at the Bill and Melinda Gates work and I know Comic Relief has considered long term approaches almost from day 1.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

Loved Brent & Cordon

over a year ago

Kind of hard to sex that long term stuff up with a sob story by One Direction though.

International aid work is complex and lots of funders do work together to try and deal with the infrastructure issues and put in place long term projects to create long term change. Look at the Bill and Melinda Gates work and I know Comic Relief has considered long term approaches almost from day 1."

And yet each time we've looked to apply to them they're in the process of reworking their funding programmes!

International Aid work isn't made any simpler by the self interest and dependency culture some have caused.

I would like to see more about the long term stuff though.

over a year ago

Rant over and out

I love the fact one direction have done the single.. No matter what u think of them the fact is they are one of the biggest bands on the planet and have made the single no1 across the world! Amazing

What's the balance though? Do those drugs come from Kenya or somewhere else?

Kind of hard to sex that long term stuff up with a sob story by One Direction though."

Cos a lot of the problems in africa is attitude.. U can't change the way they think and their beliefs in one generation..

Sob story over one direction.. What's that even mean

over a year ago

"We're a pretty generous country really - most folk are happy to throw what they can in charity boxes and stuff like Comic Relief and Children in Need always gets good support - it always humbles me when I watch the clips and reminds me how well off I actually am compared to a hell of a lot of people in other countries as well as our own"

A long term solution would be great. In reality that's just not going to happen. It's a messed up world.

But... a good one too. Love it how people come together when times are rough.

over a year ago

"No it's no a whingy post but a pat on the back post!

Having lived in Australia for a year I noticed that they don't have anything like this and as far as I'm aware (correct me if I'm wrong) no where else does this or not on the scale that we do it.

I think it's pretty special "

Truly sick of having the charity bucket waived under my nose at every turn, can't even get through the bloody checkout at waitrose without being made to feel guilty by some wide eyed child offering to pack my 2 tins of soup and loaf of bread, Australia here I come

over a year ago

Let's not forget just how big africa is, how many problems they have.. Its not as simple as some people think..

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

International aid work is complex and lots of funders do work together to try and deal with the infrastructure issues and put in place long term projects to create long term change. Look at the Bill and Melinda Gates work and I know Comic Relief has considered long term approaches almost from day 1.

And yet each time we've looked to apply to them they're in the process of reworking their funding programmes!

International Aid work isn't made any simpler by the self interest and dependency culture some have caused.

I would like to see more about the long term stuff though."

I think the Comic Relief changes to their programme have been agreed - I haven't checked recently. I know Children in Need has now agreed the new programme as their briefing sessions are coming up.

over a year ago

"Cos a lot of the problems in africa is attitude.. U can't change the way they think and their beliefs in one generation..

Sob story over one direction.. What's that even mean "

Africa is a continent - that's an awful lot of different attitudes. Most attitudes I've met have been keen to help themselves, if only given the opportunity.

'Sob story' means its a lot easier to stick a celebrity in a hospital, cause an emotional reaction and ask you to donate towards a quick solution - than it is to say we now need to invest in years of training and building to help a country get to a position of genuinely solving their own problems. That's a little harder to generate enthusiasm for.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"Let's not forget just how big africa is, how many problems they have.. Its not as simple as some people think.. "

And it's not one country - we try and homogenise too much.

over a year ago

Truly sick of having the charity bucket waived under my nose at every turn, can't even get through the bloody checkout at waitrose without being made to feel guilty by some wide eyed child offering to pack my 2 tins of soup and loaf of bread, Australia here I come "

Well I truely hope ur not the one in need one day!

I bet u would soon be there with ur hand out if a tradgedy stuck!

over a year ago

Been taking calls for comic relief this evening, on of the only perks in my job

By *ighland_RoseCouple
over a year ago

Brigadoon

I think it's pretty special "

Australia does indeed have a red nose day...I know, I used to drive around with the car sized one on my MG

over a year ago

"Cos a lot of the problems in africa is attitude.. U can't change the way they think and their beliefs in one generation..

Africa is a continent - that's an awful lot of different attitudes. Most attitudes I've met have been keen to help themselves, if only given the opportunity.

'Sob story' means its a lot easier to stick a celebrity in a hospital, cause an emotional reaction and ask you to donate towards a quick solution - than it is to say we now need to invest in years of training and building to help a country get to a position of genuinely solving their own problems. That's a little harder to generate enthusiasm for."

Yes different countries, different problems and attitudes. A lot don't believe what we say and believe in the local witch doctor not modern medicine! That's just one example.. Its not all about helping themselves if they can't see the way to..

As for the sob stories.. It raises the money.. There are charities you could go over and help for yourself.. See it for yourself.. You would think very differently..

over a year ago

"Been taking calls for comic relief this evening, on of the only perks in my job"

Good for you good job

over a year ago

'Sob story' means its a lot easier to stick a celebrity in a hospital, cause an emotional reaction and ask you to donate towards a quick solution - than it is to say we now need to invest in years of training and building to help a country get to a position of genuinely solving their own problems. That's a little harder to generate enthusiasm for.

Yes different countries, different problems and attitudes. A lot don't believe what we say and believe in the local witch doctor not modern medicine! That's just one example.. Its not all about helping themselves if they can't see the way to..

As for the sob stories.. It raises the money.. There are charities you could go over and help for yourself.. See it for yourself.. You would think very differently.."

erm well I've run an NGO in southern Africa for 6 years!

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

lot bit jealous of john bishop right now

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"Been taking calls for comic relief this evening, on of the only perks in my job"

I did for years ... Great nights.

Well done

over a year ago

As for the sob stories.. It raises the money.. There are charities you could go over and help for yourself.. See it for yourself.. You would think very differently..

erm well I've run an NGO in southern Africa for 6 years!"

Thats it, you go pissing all over peoples bonfires.

Dont mind them pointing at you, just because you actually did go and do something.

By *ady4ladyWoman
over a year ago

liverpool

"lot bit jealous of john bishop right now "

I was bit jealous of them both, i have a thing for both of them, oh woe is me , im doooomed .

over a year ago

Truly sick of having the charity bucket waived under my nose at every turn, can't even get through the bloody checkout at waitrose without being made to feel guilty by some wide eyed child offering to pack my 2 tins of soup and loaf of bread, Australia here I come

Well I truely hope ur not the one in need one day!

I bet u would soon be there with ur hand out if a tradgedy stuck!"

Thanks for your kind thoughts, your sentiments

as to my future disposition have made feel all fuzzy inside, or possibly its just indigestion brought on by the sanctimonious crap being sprayed around by the privelliged few, who for the next 364 days wont give a second thought as to the plight of the third world

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Truly sick of having the charity bucket waived under my nose at every turn, can't even get through the bloody checkout at waitrose without being made to feel guilty by some wide eyed child offering to pack my 2 tins of soup and loaf of bread, Australia here I come "

ttfn!!

you can only feel guilty if you know you should be giving instead of walking past them!

over a year ago

Walk on past with your head held high.

Charity begins at home.

By *ady4ladyWoman
over a year ago

liverpool

I work for a charity that is based and supports people in this country. I am face with those less fortunate every day. We dont have 'buckets' to collect in because people dont give to support some 'type' of people. Without many chatities we would have people dying in the streets, not of typohoid or other dieseases like that, but simply dying of cold, because they are homeless etc.

Yes charities are after your money, if you dont want to give then dont. Its your choice. I dont judge people who dont give, but I do judge people who dont give credit where its due.

Well done to all those working hard to support those less fortunate, whatever country they are in

soapbox now slid back under bed.

By *-BelleWoman
over a year ago

Brighton

If anyone is interested, have a look on the net for a project called The Book Bus. I worked in Zambia last summer and am off to India next week with this project.

I never donate to CiN or CR other than maybe £1 at work. Would much rather get my hands dirty and go and do something practical to help.

By *aguarsCouple
over a year ago

wolverhampton

If we all text site and they donate to comic relief wonder if davina would say we received 100 grand off swingers, actually she probably would

over a year ago

"I work for a charity that is based and supports people in this country. I am face with those less fortunate every day. We dont have 'buckets' to collect in because people dont give to support some 'type' of people. Without many chatities we would have people dying in the streets, not of typohoid or other dieseases like that, but simply dying of cold, because they are homeless etc.

Yes charities are after your money, if you dont want to give then dont. Its your choice. I dont judge people who dont give, but I do judge people who dont give credit where its due.

Well done to all those working hard to support those less fortunate, whatever country they are in

"

x

By *am123Man
over a year ago

essex chelmsford

"I work for a charity that is based and supports people in this country. I am face with those less fortunate every day. We dont have 'buckets' to collect in because people dont give to support some 'type' of people. Without many chatities we would have people dying in the streets, not of typohoid or other dieseases like that, but simply dying of cold, because they are homeless etc.

"

stands up to actually clap that thread, v true hun

By *ady4ladyWoman
over a year ago

liverpool

stands up to actually clap that thread, v true hun "

all doations greatly accepted, if you dont have cash then a wink will do lol x

over a year ago

"Thats it, you go pissing all over peoples bonfires.

Dont mind them pointing at you, just because you actually did go and do something."

Didn't mean it that way, well maybe a little

But there are two sides to seeing how things actually are - of course there's huge need, but we can't kid ourselves after 30 or 40 years of western aid work that we have the answers. So yes I do see things very differently now.

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

"I manned the phone lines for the very first one in 1985, amazing to think that it is still needed almost 30 yrs later. "

Thats the bit that get me..nothing changes, nothing as been put right since the first big publicised one Biafra back in the late sixties/early seventies?

It just money that goes nowhere..they ( comic relief)have been asking for money all this time saying how much it makes a difference and how we can change things..then the following year...nothings changed.

Comic relief is so unfunny its untrue..cheap stupid unrehearsed 'jokes' by the same ol crowd plus a few who need even more publicity to keep their careers going..people laughing for the sake of it..

Starving kids are a worthy cause wherever they are..I just wish there was a better way to support them than a night of inane drivel

over a year ago

It's not true to say that nothing changes - the bottom line is that people's lives have been saved.

But I agree completely that the emphasis has been wrong. We should be investing towards helping people find their own solutions in their own ways instead of assuming that our way is the best - particularly when the west would never allow developing nations to exploit people, nations and the environment in the same ways that the developed world did to become rich.

Post new Message to Thread