Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Food Bank worker handing out leaflets of what to donate in the supermarket

Jump to newest

By *aravancouple OP   Man
over a year ago

A Secret Hideaway In the caravan of love

I walked into a supermarket and in the entrance area before the main doors, was a food bank worker who give me a leaflet of what to buy for the food bank.

Surely the food banks would be better getting together, taking monetary donations from folk and going direct to the suppliers and get bulk buy discounted deals.

What do you think.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I think that they are doing a fantastic job, giving up their own time to help others who are less fortunate than most.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

They would probably get more for their money that way yes.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Maybe they keep getting donations of horsemeat

Seriously I agree with the above poster and I would happily donate something on the list x

over a year ago

Screw the supermarkets they are the skurdge of modern day society

over a year ago

"I think that they are doing a fantastic job, giving up their own time to help others who are less fortunate than most.

"

Yes they do do a fantastic job

over a year ago

Giving me a leaflet of what to buy I find a bit cheeky but I would be happy to donate money.

I used to often give to the salvation army when we lived in skegness as they help loads of the needy but never seem to see them round here.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Reminding people as they are about to shop in a supermarket, or have just finished shopping in a supermarket is in all probability the very best way to get them to donate food.

I also think that people are more likely to give up a couple of packets or tins out of their trolley than give cash in a bucket....I know I am

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

They probably get the kind of donations that many send to harvest festivals etc: that tin of something you'll never use that has been lurking behind the beans for ages but is still in date.

When the beans (nutritious, easy to cook, can also be eaten cold and most people will eat them) would be far more suitable.

By *nvictusMan
over a year ago

Beeston

"Screw the supermarkets they are the skurdge of modern day society"

I thought that was chavs?

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Screw the supermarkets they are the skurdge of modern day society

I thought that was chavs? "

No Vic....only the Chavs that shop in supermarkets

over a year ago

We shop online these days and if the food bank wanna put one of their people in the back of a Sainsburys delivery wagon I'll happily give them a tin of beans when they get here!

over a year ago

"We shop online these days and if the food bank wanna put one of their people in the back of a Sainsburys delivery wagon I'll happily give them a tin of beans when they get here! "

over a year ago

The fewer layers of procedure and adminsitration they have, the better can operate with volunteers - with very low overheads.

Recieving food as a direct donation, already "chosen" through thier lists to suit their requiremenst sounds pretty damned good to me.

over a year ago

..and we never get accosted by some spotty teenager offering to 'pack' our groceries, which often means cramming whatever comes down the conveyor into a few bags as possible or stuffing a 4-pack of tinned tomatoes on top of two loaves bread turning them into pita breads. Our frozen goods arrive still frozen, and the nice man even tells us which items have been replaced and if we don't want them they sometimes say, "well, take them anyway and I'll still put the refund through."

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

I get groceries delivered.

Maybe the big supermarkets could change the last online page before paying to read something like 'your local food bank would appreciate donations of the following ........'

Food banks could uplift from the depot every few days.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Food banks have lots of drop off points, we have one at work so even if you don't use supermarkets it's still possible to donate. The work they do is invaluable and has helped loads of people. Also as long as food is wrapped or tinned and in date it doesn't matter if it isn't on their list.

Post new Message to Thread