Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Who's to blame?

Jump to newest

By *hole Lotta Rosie OP   Woman
over a year ago

Deviant City

I know this is always a controversial topic, but I just wondered who you thought was to blame for the cut back on benefits and council spending monies?

The disabled are being hit hard at the moment, with the new PIP being introduced next month and councils cutting back on social care/health care/adaptations and some areas, special needs schools. Famalies are fighting for what they are rightfully entitled to.

Personally, I put some of the blame on the DWP for handing out money willy nilly, to claiments who have never been medically assessed.

I'm not too sure about the council cutbacks, there's been overspending for years.

Are the current Government to blame? I dont believe so.

Your thoughts please.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

Deviant City

"I know this is always a controversial topic, but I just wondered who you thought was to blame for the cut back on benefits and council spending monies?

The disabled are being hit hard at the moment, with the new PIP being introduced next month and councils cutting back on social care/health care/adaptations and some areas, special needs schools. Famalies are fighting for what they are rightfully entitled to.

Personally, I put some of the blame on the DWP for handing out money willy nilly, to claiments who have never been medically assessed.

I'm not too sure about the council cutbacks, there's been overspending for years.

Are the current Government to blame? I dont believe so.

Your thoughts please."

PS, please lets not get personal and respect others views and opinions please.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Two words sum it up for me...

Easy Targets

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Apparently its the fault of people who skulk behind closed curtains all day.

Or as Jane said..Easy targets

over a year ago

We as a country are to relaxed and get taken for a ride,people who come from abroad who have never paid into our system should not be allowed to claim.For those who choose not to work,not because they cannot but will not should be made to.

over a year ago

In a lot of cases the lack of any, or proper assessments has been to blame re disability payments. The new system will be looking at 'ability' rather than just categorising into various levels of disability, much in the same way insurance companies assess payouts for accident/compensation/PTD (permanent total disablement) claims.

Many currently claiming should and will be able to continue. Many who - as is often stated - exaggerate or take the piss - will find this harder, which hopefully will result in a fairer system and accurate assessment of claims/issue of benefits.

I do however massively disagree that those with specific needs re disablement are not excluded from benefit changes re the bedroom cap, e.g partners needing to sleep in separate rooms.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Well after the thread on bedroom tax i read up on it. Apparently if you live in a three bedroomed property on your own yo have to pay for two bedrooms and 25% of your council tax. I worked that out to be getting on for £150 now where the hell they think people on benefits can just pluck that money from i have no idea.

Im all for people moving to smaller properties if they can, but even if they are on the list they still have to pay it until they move.

I really cant see how it is going to work as everyone on benefit will straight away be getting into debt

over a year ago

I'm usually to blame for everything so that'd be me then!

over a year ago

"Well after the thread on bedroom tax i read up on it. Apparently if you live in a three bedroomed property on your own yo have to pay for two bedrooms and 25% of your council tax. I worked that out to be getting on for £150 now where the hell they think people on benefits can just pluck that money from i have no idea.

Im all for people moving to smaller properties if they can, but even if they are on the list they still have to pay it until they move.

I really cant see how it is going to work as everyone on benefit will straight away be getting into debt"

They will just spend their housing benefit, which come April will be paid direct to claimant, and not the housing provider private or orherwise

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

I bet people on a good income would have a job to find £150 a month let alone benefit people

over a year ago

Deviant City

"In a lot of cases the lack of any, or proper assessments has been to blame re disability payments. The new system will be looking at 'ability' rather than just categorising into various levels of disability, much in the same way insurance companies assess payouts for accident/compensation/PTD (permanent total disablement) claims.

Many currently claiming should and will be able to continue. Many who - as is often stated - exaggerate or take the piss - will find this harder, which hopefully will result in a fairer system and accurate assessment of claims/issue of benefits.

I do however massively disagree that those with specific needs re disablement are not excluded from benefit changes re the bedroom cap, e.g partners needing to sleep in separate rooms."

this. I just never seem to make sense when I try to explain stuff.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"Well after the thread on bedroom tax i read up on it. Apparently if you live in a three bedroomed property on your own yo have to pay for two bedrooms and 25% of your council tax. I worked that out to be getting on for £150 now where the hell they think people on benefits can just pluck that money from i have no idea.

I really cant see how it is going to work as everyone on benefit will straight away be getting into debt

They will just spend their housing benefit, which come April will be paid direct to claimant, and not the housing provider private or orherwise"

Thats no true,well its not here, you get a choice, you can either have your housing benefit paid straight to them or claim it yourself

over a year ago

They will just spend their housing benefit, which come April will be paid direct to claimant, and not the housing provider private or orherwise

Thats no true,well its not here, you get a choice, you can either have your housing benefit paid straight to them or claim it yourself"

Come October this year (phasing through to 2017) all new claims will be paid directly to the claimant rather than the landlord and council. Depending on where you live this will hit at varying times. April is just the bedroom cap changes.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

Thats no true,well its not here, you get a choice, you can either have your housing benefit paid straight to them or claim it yourself

Come October this year (phasing through to 2017) all new claims will be paid directly to the claimant rather than the landlord and council. Depending on where you live this will hit at varying times. April is just the bedroom cap changes. "

Well how fucking ridiculous is that, thats encouraging people to spend it on other stuff

over a year ago

Deviant City

I really cant see how it is going to work as everyone on benefit will straight away be getting into debt"

I live in council housing and in my street alone there are at least 20 people living with extra bedrooms (I live in a 2 bedroomed flat).

Now many of these people are elderly and living alone, so this is going to hit them really hard.

Debt can lead to depression and our local authority have stopped our psychological services and I dread to think what issues this will cause.

I have been in touch with the Priory and the fees are immense. I'm stuck and the counselling with the GP service is not suitable for me. I need a Psychologist.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

I live in council housing and in my street alone there are at least 20 people living with extra bedrooms (I live in a 2 bedroomed flat).

Now many of these people are elderly and living alone, so this is going to hit them really hard.

Debt can lead to depression and our local authority have stopped our psychological services and I dread to think what issues this will cause.

I have been in touch with the Priory and the fees are immense. I'm stuck and the counselling with the GP service is not suitable for me. I need a Psychologist."

I thought retired people where excempt it only affected people of working age

over a year ago

Deviant City

Come October this year (phasing through to 2017) all new claims will be paid directly to the claimant rather than the landlord and council. Depending on where you live this will hit at varying times. April is just the bedroom cap changes.

Well how fucking ridiculous is that, thats encouraging people to spend it on other stuff"

I want my housing benefit paying straight to the council. If it goes into my account, the temptation is there to spend it and I'm not very strong willed

over a year ago

Deviant City

I have been in touch with the Priory and the fees are immense. I'm stuck and the counselling with the GP service is not suitable for me. I need a Psychologist.

I thought retired people where excempt it only affected people of working age"

Wasn't aware of that Diamonds, thanks. There are still several working age though

over a year ago

"We as a country are to relaxed and get taken for a ride,people who come from abroad who have never paid into our system should not be allowed to claim.For those who choose not to work,not because they cannot but will not should be made to. "

So all those who've lived in our country and taken everyone for a ride can claim? The immigration argument is sensationalist media hype. What would we do without all our foreign doctors and dentists and lets not forget the hard working labourers from all over Europe who don't expect something for nothing.

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Elderly will be exempt from the bedroom tax along with foster carers along with those who are in the armed forces and living at home.

over a year ago

I posted to the bedroom debate and was shot down for it!

I have a two bed flat, live alone MOST days, but get access to my two boys EVERY weekend and the odd evening.

I pay my own rent just now, but, IF i lose my job, i could be forced out of my flat, into a 1 bed one, (and lose out on my kids staying with me) due to not being able to afford the new tax from benefits. How fair is THAT?

By *scariMan
over a year ago

Taunton

"We as a country are to relaxed and get taken for a ride,people who come from abroad who have never paid into our system should not be allowed to claim.For those who choose not to work,not because they cannot but will not should be made to.

So all those who've lived in our country and taken everyone for a ride can claim? The immigration argument is sensationalist media hype. What would we do without all our foreign doctors and dentists and lets not forget the hard working labourers from all over Europe who don't expect something for nothing. "

Those "working" people will not be looking to claim will they!

over a year ago

I feel the root cause of over spending has been weak management failing to use resources efficiently coupled with unions who have demanded working rights costing too much

Consequently too much is spent on back office functions where inefficiencies are allowed

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

Well how fucking ridiculous is that, thats encouraging people to spend it on other stuff

I want my housing benefit paying straight to the council. If it goes into my account, the temptation is there to spend it and I'm not very strong willed "

Either that or get evicted for rent arrears and make yourself intentionally homeless....you decide

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"I posted to the bedroom debate and was shot down for it!

I have a two bed flat, live alone MOST days, but get access to my two boys EVERY weekend and the odd evening.

I pay my own rent just now, but, IF i lose my job, i could be forced out of my flat, into a 1 bed one, (and lose out on my kids staying with me) due to not being able to afford the new tax from benefits. How fair is THAT?"

Well i will be the first to apologize as last week i said people should just move, but now ive looked into it more and seen what its really like i honestly cant believe it

By *scariMan
over a year ago

Taunton

I want my housing benefit paying straight to the council. If it goes into my account, the temptation is there to spend it and I'm not very strong willed

Either that or get evicted for rent arrears and make yourself intentionally homeless....you decide "

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

I will keep my views on bedroom tax to myself...but the big word is affordability and I guess it's up too the person.,,larger houses are needed as families are becoming bigger...the council are not building along with the housing associations. There families stuck in temp accommodation which cost millions....

over a year ago

By paying rent to claimants landlords will be reluctant to take them on for fear of arrears

The problem of inflation in rent cost arose due to a failure to negotiate hard with landlords - an example of the ineptitude of the last government in understanding how commercial relationships work

over a year ago

"Two words sum it up for me...

Easy Targets"

Agreed 100%.

over a year ago

Deviant City

"

Either that or get evicted for rent arrears and make yourself intentionally homeless....you decide "

which I would never do, I have a son to consider. The key is to set up a DD/SO

By *uttyMan
over a year ago

Local to you maybe

Easy Targets

Agreed 100%."

Same here

over a year ago

I read an article on twitter the other by 'full fact' who analyse statements and the like. The article was saying that 9 out 10 cuts which have been passed are yet to be put into effect.

over a year ago

"We as a country are to relaxed and get taken for a ride,people who come from abroad who have never paid into our system should not be allowed to claim.For those who choose not to work,not because they cannot but will not should be made to.

So all those who've lived in our country and taken everyone for a ride can claim? The immigration argument is sensationalist media hype. What would we do without all our foreign doctors and dentists and lets not forget the hard working labourers from all over Europe who don't expect something for nothing.

Those "working" people will not be looking to claim will they!"

They will if they are made redundant in the future!

By *uttyMan
over a year ago

Local to you maybe

Food for thought

When you claim benefit, it is worded "this is what the government says you need to live on". So, if people have to pay the difference towards their rent from the benefits which, according to our government is the bare minimum you need to survive, then what?

Vicious circle, badly thought out, bullying techniques.

Would like to see someone challenge it in court using those words

over a year ago

"I will keep my views on bedroom tax to myself...but the big word is affordability and I guess it's up too the person.,,larger houses are needed as families are becoming bigger...the council are not building along with the housing associations. There families stuck in temp accommodation which cost millions.... "

The key here is the lack of suitable social housing stock - one and two bed properties - where there already huge shortages due to lack of new properties being built, existing long waiting lists and it has to be said - a 'mentality' of those in social housing for years to look at changing circumstances - e.g children growing up and moving out meaning they in larger than required accommodation. The argument of 'fairness' in social housing provision works both ways. Those who have no need for larger properties are effectively blocking access to said houses for those who actually need them. In the private housing sector the choice comes down to a willingness to pay the market rent and the costs of utilities associated with larger property ownership/rental. In social housing up until now, there has been no focus on moving people to more suitable sized properties - hence the problems with housing stock now. The argument of having lived there for years may tug on the heart strings - but social housing stock should always be allocated on need - not emotion.

over a year ago

I blame labour for spending the money the country never had in the first place then they let in loads of immigrants most of which will never work but milk us dry.

over a year ago

As one poster rightly puts it easy targets. Instead of giving the elite a massive tax cut they should use the tax to reduce the deficit if it is indeed as much as they say.

There are billions owed in unpaid tax by large corporations and if collected most of deficit would go. They say its because of loopholes then quite simply make it law that if you sell anything in uk no matter what you pay tax on it. That way everyone knows the score.

As for the bullshit peddled that british business would be affected what bollocks as very few large companies are british owned as it is.

Does anyone really believe likes of amazon or starbucks would stop selling in uk it would be business suicide.

As to whose fault it is first and foremost it was the banking industry that screwed it up initially and has and will take years if ever to recover.

Whatever labours failures in government at the time and and after the initial financial market meltdown people were still in work. Whereas now in the name of austerity unemployment is sky high again. Price to pay for having tories in power.

t

over a year ago

"I will keep my views on bedroom tax to myself...but the big word is affordability and I guess it's up too the person.,,larger houses are needed as families are becoming bigger...the council are not building along with the housing associations. There families stuck in temp accommodation which cost millions....

The key here is the lack of suitable social housing stock - one and two bed properties - where there already huge shortages due to lack of new properties being built, existing long waiting lists and it has to be said - a 'mentality' of those in social housing for years to look at changing circumstances - e.g children growing up and moving out meaning they in larger than required accommodation. The argument of 'fairness' in social housing provision works both ways. Those who have no need for larger properties are effectively blocking access to said houses for those who actually need them. In the private housing sector the choice comes down to a willingness to pay the market rent and the costs of utilities associated with larger property ownership/rental. In social housing up until now, there has been no focus on moving people to more suitable sized properties - hence the problems with housing stock now. The argument of having lived there for years may tug on the heart strings - but social housing stock should always be allocated on need - not emotion."

And does that argument extend to single fathers who NEED a spare room for their kids to sleep in?

When i was applying for a house after my split, i was TOLD that i HAD to have a 2 bed property due to access. Now i may get penalised for having kids and taking my fatherly duties seriously.

over a year ago

"I blame labour for spending the money the country never had in the first place then they let in loads of immigrants most of which will never work but milk us dry."

What twaddle.

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"I will keep my views on bedroom tax to myself...but the big word is affordability and I guess it's up too the person.,,larger houses are needed as families are becoming bigger...the council are not building along with the housing associations. There families stuck in temp accommodation which cost millions....

The key here is the lack of suitable social housing stock - one and two bed properties - where there already huge shortages due to lack of new properties being built, existing long waiting lists and it has to be said - a 'mentality' of those in social housing for years to look at changing circumstances - e.g children growing up and moving out meaning they in larger than required accommodation. The argument of 'fairness' in social housing provision works both ways. Those who have no need for larger properties are effectively blocking access to said houses for those who actually need them. In the private housing sector the choice comes down to a willingness to pay the market rent and the costs of utilities associated with larger property ownership/rental. In social housing up until now, there has been no focus on moving people to more suitable sized properties - hence the problems with housing stock now. The argument of having lived there for years may tug on the heart strings - but social housing stock should always be allocated on need - not emotion."

over a year ago

The key here is the lack of suitable social housing stock - one and two bed properties - where there already huge shortages due to lack of new properties being built, existing long waiting lists and it has to be said - a 'mentality' of those in social housing for years to look at changing circumstances - e.g children growing up and moving out meaning they in larger than required accommodation. The argument of 'fairness' in social housing provision works both ways. Those who have no need for larger properties are effectively blocking access to said houses for those who actually need them. In the private housing sector the choice comes down to a willingness to pay the market rent and the costs of utilities associated with larger property ownership/rental. In social housing up until now, there has been no focus on moving people to more suitable sized properties - hence the problems with housing stock now. The argument of having lived there for years may tug on the heart strings - but social housing stock should always be allocated on need - not emotion.

And does that argument extend to single fathers who NEED a spare room for their kids to sleep in?

When i was applying for a house after my split, i was TOLD that i HAD to have a 2 bed property due to access. Now i may get penalised for having kids and taking my fatherly duties seriously."

I agree! A flaw in the system - as are others.

Personally I think the aims and intentions are good - more effective allocation of social housing, more efficient assessment of disability benefits, more personal responsibility re managing money (be that benefits or wages).the delivery however falls short in many, many ways!!

Under universal credit which comes in in October and beyond - those actually claiming AND working will be likely to be better off. And the new benefit cap system (£500/week for couples, £350/week singles) is still a hell of a lot more than many working full time and in private accommodation are getting right now!!

over a year ago

Deviant City

When i was applying for a house after my split, i was TOLD that i HAD to have a 2 bed property due to access. Now i may get penalised for having kids and taking my fatherly duties seriously."

I think Obi means people like my Nan, who are rattling round in 3 bedroomed council houses for the last 25 years ALONE, when she'd be perfectly suitable for a one bedroomed flat. All the family want her to stay there because she lived there 50 years+. Only muggin's here disagree!

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

Actually you don't need that room as living space can be classed as sleeping space so if you were to go into a 1 bedroom property it still deemed as reasonable for you to have your son...

over a year ago

When i was applying for a house after my split, i was TOLD that i HAD to have a 2 bed property due to access. Now i may get penalised for having kids and taking my fatherly duties seriously.

I think Obi means people like my Nan, who are rattling round in 3 bedroomed council houses for the last 25 years ALONE, when she'd be perfectly suitable for a one bedroomed flat. All the family want her to stay there because she lived there 50 years+. Only muggin's here disagree!"

Yeah, i wasn't downcrying obi's point. I was just curious to other peoples opinion about the access side of the argument. Should single dads lose out on having their kids not stay with them?

over a year ago

Actually you don't need that room as living space can be classed as sleeping space so if you were to go into a 1 bedroom property it still deemed as reasonable for you to have your son..."

And where do they sleep when staying over? On the sofa? On the floor in sleeping bags?

By *scariMan
over a year ago

Taunton

They will if they are made redundant in the future! "

But by the very nature of their current employment, they are contributing tax and NI, therefore entitled to claim.

over a year ago

Talking of empty rooms etc we have numerous palaces etc which are rarely used at full capacity. Move as many royals into one or two therefore freeing up rooms for folk in need of place to live.

Hang on i almost forgot the rich get looked after more the rest of us are treat like shit

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

Actually you don't need that room as living space can be classed as sleeping space so if you were to go into a 1 bedroom property it still deemed as reasonable for you to have your son...

And where do they sleep when staying over? On the sofa? On the floor in sleeping bags? "

Er maybe you can sleep on the sofa and let them have the bed...not ideal but still deemed reasonable according to the housing act 1996

over a year ago

Those "working" people will not be looking to claim will they!"

No they won't, but unfortunately the less intelligent on these forums make sweeping statements about immigrants. The countries in a mess because of no industry, people expecting everything for free and a poor work ethic by a percentage of people. But hey ho !

over a year ago

And where do they sleep when staying over? On the sofa? On the floor in sleeping bags?

Er maybe you can sleep on the sofa and let them have the bed...not ideal but still deemed reasonable according to the housing act 1996 "

Aaaah, so the whole point in going to court and proving that i can have suitable accommodation for my kids was a total waste of my time and money then! I should have just told the judge that they could have my bed friday to sundays! Get real!! I would never have been given visitation rights!!!

over a year ago

What a load of tosh about us having to many working rights, for example an Australian soldier is paid on average double that of a British soldier. And most developed European countries offer better rights.

Our working conditions have been getting eroded for years. Tax credits exist because a lot of wages are too low for cost of living. So we the tax payer are supplementing low wages. We might as well just be done with it set a higher minimum wage. The problem is further exasperated by cheap foreign labour, keeping wages down.

It is not fair that my private rent is double thatof a person in social housing, but I refuse to join in the race to the bottom!

The private rental market needs to be regulated to bring rents down, this would save far more money would help the majority of hard working people on average to median income, without taxing the poor and vulnerable to hit the.feckless that won't pay anyway.

By *uttyMan
over a year ago

Local to you maybe

No they won't, but unfortunately the less intelligent on these forums make sweeping statements about immigrants. The countries in a mess because of no industry, people expecting everything for free and a poor work ethic by a percentage of people. But hey ho ! "

Think you'll find the surge of immigrants that entered the uk seeking asylum has put a strain on our benefits system, most but not all aren't allowed to work whilst their application is processed, therefore they are put onto benefits, some are given housing, furnished I may add too.

It's not all bad decision making from former/current government. Most of it is

over a year ago

So all those who've lived in our country and taken everyone for a ride can claim? The

immigration argument is sensationalist media hype. What would we do without all our foreign doctors and dentists and lets not forget the hard working labourers from all over Europe who don't expect something for nothing.

No they won't, but unfortunately the less intelligent on these forums make sweeping statements about immigrants. The countries in a mess because of no industry, people expecting everything for free and a poor work ethic by a percentage of people. But hey ho !

Think you'll find the surge of immigrants that entered the uk seeking asylum has put a strain on our benefits system, most but not all aren't allowed to work whilst their application is processed, therefore they are put onto benefits, some are given housing, furnished I may add too.

It's not all bad decision making from former/current government. Most of it is "

Think you'll find there are plenty contributing to our country too. We make what we choose to of the figures depending on our approach to people.

over a year ago

Deviant City

@edinguy404, my sons father and thousands of others would be in the same situation, its riduculous. He also has a daughter from another relationship and isn't there a law that over the age of 7 these sibling cant share?

Where will we be moving kids into? The kitchen? Its ridiculous.

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

Er maybe you can sleep on the sofa and let them have the bed...not ideal but still deemed reasonable according to the housing act 1996

Aaaah, so the whole point in going to court and proving that i can have suitable accommodation for my kids was a total waste of my time and money then! I should have just told the judge that they could have my bed friday to sundays! Get real!! I would never have been given visitation rights!!!"

I have got real....

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"@edinguy404, my sons father and thousands of others would be in the same situation, its riduculous. He also has a daughter from another relationship and isn't there a law that over the age of 7 these sibling cant share?

Where will we be moving kids into? The kitchen? Its ridiculous."

It's 10 years if siblings of the opposite sex are sharing....

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

I shall now leave this thread alone it's my day off....

over a year ago

"@edinguy404, my sons father and thousands of others would be in the same situation, its riduculous. He also has a daughter from another relationship and isn't there a law that over the age of 7 these sibling cant share?

Exactly. Its laughable that some on here tend to think that kids 'can sleep anywhere'. They need a stable environment when staying over. I.E. Their own room! I could just imagine my 12yo and 9yo having to sleep in 'dads' bed!

over a year ago

Deviant City

my mistake, its a guideline that differs with each housing association

By *uttyMan
over a year ago

Local to you maybe

So all those who've lived in our country and taken everyone for a ride can claim? The

immigration argument is sensationalist media hype. What would we do without all our foreign doctors and dentists and lets not forget the hard working labourers from all over Europe who don't expect something for nothing.

It's not all bad decision making from former/current government. Most of it is

Think you'll find there are plenty contributing to our country too. We make what we choose to of the figures depending on our approach to people. "

. Nothing to do with our approach to people, the benefits system wasn't at breaking point until people started to use the uk as a safe haven

over a year ago

Deviant City

"I shall now leave this thread alone it's my day off...."

I was wrong there is no law, just guidelines x

over a year ago

It's 10 years if siblings of the opposite sex are sharing...."

Does that include the 'same bed' as you seem to think then?

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

my mistake, its a guideline that differs with each housing association "

Housing associations have their own allocations policy so it's dependant...the law states that its up till 10 that they can share...

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

Does that include the 'same bed' as you seem to think then?"

My advice read up on the housing act 1996 and legislation I don't make the rules...

over a year ago

Does that include the 'same bed' as you seem to think then?

My advice read up on the housing act 1996 and legislation I don't make the rules..."

I'm not disagreeing with you about the sharing and the age thing! I'm disagreeing with you on the point you stated earlier. 'that they can have my bed when they stay and i can have the sofa'!! THAT is against the guidelines of sharing. AND against the visitation rules!

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"I blame labour for spending the money the country never had in the first place then they let in loads of immigrants most of which will never work but milk us dry."

The vast majority of immigrants do in fact work.....

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

Easy Targets"

Agreed

By *ex4unowCouple
over a year ago

near you

Not being persoal to edin guy or anyone else but my wife and i have been maried for 25 years brought up 4 kids and still doing so but it seems as a broad sweep that alot of couples break up over the lack of commitment in the relationship they both choose to have children and both feel it is ok to have two properties subsidised by the state maybe im old fashioned and all cases should be taken on merit but i think incentives should be there for families to be better off together than apart and why dont they build more houses obvious solution but no one listens to practical advise anymore

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"I blame labour for spending the money the country never had in the first place then they let in loads of immigrants most of which will never work but milk us dry.

The vast majority of immigrants do in fact work....."

Don't know why you're wasting your time our Jane...the indigenous are never at fault it's ALWAYS Johnny Foreigners fault, surprised you didn't know that!

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

Usually 2 houses of suitable size are not given in terms if a family splits up...so for example if the father puts in an application for housing and names the children as wanting to stay with him say for example every other weekend.. The children would not be considered on the application and the applicant would get a one bedroom property...it's to do with the visitation that is in place...I don't know edin personal case so I am generalising....

By *ustyBrunette35Couple
over a year ago

birmingham

"I blame labour for spending the money the country never had in the first place then they let in loads of immigrants most of which will never work but milk us dry.

What twaddle."

Which parts or all of it?

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

The disabled are the softest targets in society, the Tories always aim for the easy targets, they always have.

It should be seen as no surprise that the Tories went for them instead of the workshy amongst us, or the tax dodgers, or the corrupt recipients of the (Increased) overseas aid budget.

By *ex4unowCouple
over a year ago

near you

But if someone goes through another council or private rents for a few months before claiming but best to build more houses as the meercats say simples

over a year ago

"We as a country are to relaxed and get taken for a ride,people who come from abroad who have never paid into our system should not be allowed to claim.For those who choose not to work,not because they cannot but will not should be made to. "

over a year ago

I have never voted because they are all full of shit and none of them could run this country

over a year ago

its the people who voted foth the twats that are in power...did they not learn from the last time they were in power and expect them to be any different?

over a year ago

Deviant City

"Not being persoal to edin guy or anyone else but my wife and i have been maried for 25 years brought up 4 kids and still doing so but it seems as a broad sweep that alot of couples break up over the lack of commitment in the relationship they both choose to have children and both feel it is ok to have two properties subsidised by the state maybe im old fashioned and all cases should be taken on merit but i think incentives should be there for families to be better off together than apart and why dont they build more houses obvious solution but no one listens to practical advise anymore"

Both my sons father were both working when we split. I had a house with a mortgage, he stayed in Private rent accom.

I lost my house due to ill health and domestic violence, which put me in social housing. I still cant work. His dad still works full time.

Out of us both there is only me in social housing. I had it all. A nice 4 bedroomed detached house, lovely gardens etc etc and I lost it all.

Thats life. I couldn't predict my future and I'm lucky my son has a fantastic Father.

over a year ago

Deviant City

"Not being persoal to edin guy or anyone else but my wife and i have been maried for 25 years brought up 4 kids and still doing so but it seems as a broad sweep that alot of couples break up over the lack of commitment in the relationship they both choose to have children and both feel it is ok to have two properties subsidised by the state maybe im old fashioned and all cases should be taken on merit but i think incentives should be there for families to be better off together than apart and why dont they build more houses obvious solution but no one listens to practical advise anymore

Both my sons father were both working when we split. I had a house with a mortgage, he stayed in Private rent accom.

I lost my house due to ill health and domestic violence, which put me in social housing. I still cant work. His dad still works full time.

Out of us both there is only me in social housing. I had it all. A nice 4 bedroomed detached house, lovely gardens etc etc and I lost it all.

Thats life. I couldn't predict my future and I'm lucky my son has a fantastic Father."

*sons father and I

over a year ago

"Not being persoal to edin guy or anyone else but my wife and i have been maried for 25 years brought up 4 kids and still doing so but it seems as a broad sweep that alot of couples break up over the lack of commitment in the relationship they both choose to have children and both feel it is ok to have two properties subsidised by the state maybe im old fashioned and all cases should be taken on merit but i think incentives should be there for families to be better off together than apart and why dont they build more houses obvious solution but no one listens to practical advise anymore"

Whilst i see the point that your making, i are you also saying that parents should stick together just for the sake of the kids? Isn't that detrimental to the health of their upbringing? And won't they then need YET ANOTHER bedroom for the parents seperate sleeping arrangements?

By *oulou45Woman
over a year ago

Bucks

What twaddle."

By *scariMan
over a year ago

Taunton

I pay my own rent just now, but, IF i lose my job, i could be forced out of my flat, into a 1 bed one, (and lose out on my kids staying with me) due to not being able to afford the new tax from benefits. How fair is THAT?"

simple answer is make sure you keep your job, or get another one or maybe even a second one and pay your way like most people have to!

over a year ago

I pay my own rent just now, but, IF i lose my job, i could be forced out of my flat, into a 1 bed one, (and lose out on my kids staying with me) due to not being able to afford the new tax from benefits. How fair is THAT?

simple answer is make sure you keep your job, or get another one or maybe even a second one and pay your way like most people have to!"

Lol. Such a simple answer eh! Now why didn't i think of that?

Oh yeah, because i live in the real world!!

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

simple answer is make sure you keep your job, or get another one or maybe even a second one and pay your way like most people have to!"

Wow!!! Really?!! How simplistic!

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

simple answer is make sure you keep your job, or get another one or maybe even a second one and pay your way like most people have to!

Lol. Such a simple answer eh! Now why didn't i think of that?

Oh yeah, because i live in the real world!! "

By *scariMan
over a year ago

Taunton

I also live in the real world, work long hours, often 7 days a week, as looking after my family and paying my way in life is a priority. if you have all day to post on a forum, you have time for working more and earning extra to save for tougher times!

over a year ago

By *ex4unowCouple
over a year ago

near you

As i said not all but the situation you proposed doesnt involve two larrge houses does it but the only real solution is building more houses which will not happen because afluent people do not want anything built near their big houses in the country devaluing them and it costs at least 60 percent more to build on brownfield sites rather than greenfields

over a year ago

Deviant City

"I also live in the real world, work long hours, often 7 days a week, as looking after my family and paying my way in life is a priority. if you have all day to post on a forum, you have time for working more and earning extra to save for tougher times!"

please dont let this thread get personal.

The guy works, give him a break. We are all entitled to be at home chilling, dont be so judgemental

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I can always rely on these forums to make me chuckle.....

over a year ago

"I also live in the real world, work long hours, often 7 days a week, as looking after my family and paying my way in life is a priority. if you have all day to post on a forum, you have time for working more and earning extra to save for tougher times!"

its my day off I must point out !

By *scariMan
over a year ago

Taunton

"I also live in the real world, work long hours, often 7 days a week, as looking after my family and paying my way in life is a priority. if you have all day to post on a forum, you have time for working more and earning extra to save for tougher times!

please dont let this thread get personal.

The guy works, give him a break. We are all entitled to be at home chilling, dont be so judgemental"

It's not meant in a personal way.

Everybody is entitled to their choices, but whingeing about the state not providing ? "it's not fair"

Life's not fair!

too many people don't want to get off their arses and do something about it!

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"I also live in the real world, work long hours, often 7 days a week, as looking after my family and paying my way in life is a priority. if you have all day to post on a forum, you have time for working more and earning extra to save for tougher times!

its my day off I must point out ! "

You don't have to explain yourself to anyone.....

over a year ago

Deviant City

its my day off I must point out ! "

get off these forums and get a second job!

over a year ago

get off these forums and get a second job! "

touche....however legislation being introduced doesn't allow me to....though I've never felt the need to get another job as I'm reasonably well paid and I adjust my lifestyle to my means, and most of things I love doing are free

over a year ago

Deviant City

touche....however legislation being introduced doesn't allow me to....though I've never felt the need to get another job as I'm reasonably well paid and I adjust my lifestyle to my means, and most of things I love doing are free "

was just kidding

By *scariMan
over a year ago

Taunton

"

I adjust my lifestyle to my means, and most of things I love doing are free "

Well said that man!

over a year ago

touche....however legislation being introduced doesn't allow me to....though I've never felt the need to get another job as I'm reasonably well paid and I adjust my lifestyle to my means, and most of things I love doing are free

was just kidding "

I know. Though I think ill lay off the religious and political forums lol....get very heated don't they ! Think I need an over paid over rated second job sonething like a solicitor...... runs away from forum

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

was just kidding

I know. Though I think ill lay off the religious and political forums lol....get very heated don't they ! Think I need an over paid over rated second job sonething like a solicitor...... runs away from forum "

You have a nice bum...

over a year ago

Lol, i guess you haven't heard yet mate, (there is a mobile app), its very useful for those people on the go, how do you know i wasn't posting from my second job as a paperboy using my mobile? Try not to assume anything in the future.

over a year ago

" Try not to assume anything in the future. "

"Assumption" the mother of all fuck ups.

over a year ago

"

Whatever labours failures in government at the time and and after the initial financial market meltdown people were still in work. Whereas now in the name of austerity unemployment is sky high again. Price to pay for having tories in power.

t

"

Sorry - just taken nearly five hours to get home due to shit weather and was keen to see how the thread had evolved!!

The argument of blaming existing/previous governments will always be futile. These days there are way less differences between labour and conservative - and it seems any new government is left with a fucked up situation to deal with from its predecessor and as this is likely to take years, if not decades, the odds are they will never achieve viable solutions and the circle will continue!!

Back to the social housing issue - it's true that not enough new stock has been built - but as well as that the following info re council right to buy contains interesting facts regarding the history of the policy and the views of both parties! At the time it was the only way those in social housing could aspire to, and achieve the dream of owning their own home - something many would view as a more likely 'labour' desire. But surprisingly it was the Tories who boosted and pushed the scheme! However, whilst great for those getting on the home ownership ladder - the lack of replacement stock is haunting us 30+ years down the line. During which we've had how many changes of govt??

"Individual local authorities have always had the ability to sell council houses to their tenants, but until the early 1970s such sales were extremely rare.

The Labour Party initially proposed the idea of the right of tenants to own the house they live in, in its manifesto for the 1959 General Election which it subsequently lost. Later, the Conservative-controlled Greater London Council of the late 1960s was persuaded by Horace Cutler, its Chairman of Housing, to create a general sales scheme. Cutler disagreed with the concept of local authorities as providers of housing and supported a free market approach. GLC housing sales were not allowed during the Labour administration of the mid-1970s but picked up again once Cutler became Leader in 1977. They proved extremely popular, and Cutler was close to Margaret Thatcher (a London MP) who made the right to buy council housing a Conservative Party policy nationally.

In the meantime, council house sales to tenants began to increase. Some 7,000 were sold to their tenants during 1970, but in two short years that figure soared to more than 45,000 in 1972.

After Margaret Thatcher became Prime Minister in May 1979, the legislation to implement the Right to Buy was passed in the Housing Act 1980. The sale price of a council house was based on its market valuation but also included a discount to reflect the rents paid by tenants and also to encourage take-up. The legislation gave council tenants the right to buy their council house at a discounted value, depending on how long they had been living in the house, with the proviso that if they sold their house before a minimum period had expired they would have to pay back a proportion of the discount. The sales were an attractive deal for tenants and hundreds of thousands of homes were sold. The policy is regarded as one of the major points of Thatcherism.

Proceeds of the sales were paid to the local authorities, but they were restricted to spending the money to reduce their debt until it was cleared, rather than being able to spend it on building more homes. The effect was to reduce the council housing stock, especially in areas where property prices were high such as London and the south-east of England.

200,000 council houses were sold to their tenants in 1982, and by 1987, more than 1,000,000 council houses in Britain had been sold to their tenants, although the number of council houses purchased by tenants declined during the 1990s.

The Labour Party was initially against the sales and pledged to oppose them at the 1983 general election, but then dropped their official opposition in 1985. However, at the 1987 general election, the Conservative government warned voters that a Labour government would still abolish the scheme.

When Labour returned to power in 1997, it reduced the discount available to tenants in local authorities which had severe pressure on their housing stock; this included almost the whole of London. "

Sorry if you've dozed off - just thought it was interesting and relevant!!

over a year ago

The plain and simple fact is, its not about saving money.

If you rent a social housing 3 bed property for £85 a week and are a couple.

You have to pay around £25 top up on your housing benefit or move home.

If you move into a 1 bed sea seaside bungalow at £125 week. you get full housing benefit.

The real reason is that there are lots of flats, that were built in the boom era, that no bugger wants.

Dave and his mates have invested a considerable sum in these properties.

They need a valid reason to make people take them on and rent them.

They cant force people with families into them, so they force those at the bottom of the rich list into them instead.

Just another get rich on us scheme, by your local cut or shut Party.

over a year ago

"The plain and simple fact is, its not about saving money.

If you move into a 1 bed sea seaside bungalow at £125 week. you get full housing benefit.

The real reason is that there are lots of flats, that were built in the boom era, that no bugger wants.

They cant force people with families into them, so they force those at the bottom of the rich list into them instead.

"

Jeez! Wish I'd known those numbers!!

Before I moved into my current house share my one bed, virtually a studio flat, was £400 a month plus bills!!

That was after I sold my 3 bed after my divorce where the mortgage was £492 a month!

The more I see of certain numbers quoted re 'housing costs' - the more i'll confess some of them piss me right off!!

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"The plain and simple fact is, its not about saving money.

Before I moved into my current house share my one bed, virtually a studio flat, was £400 a month plus bills!!

That was after I sold my 3 bed after my divorce where the mortgage was £492 a month!

The more I see of certain numbers quoted re 'housing costs' - the more i'll confess some of them piss me right off!! "

I live in a 2 bed apartment which is 525 a month... I went to apply for a mortage and was quoted £350 per month..I'd be damned if I am going to be renting my whole life..

By *e nicerWoman
over a year ago

Costa del Medway

There's a lot of deadwood could do with cutting.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"

The more I see of certain numbers quoted re 'housing costs' - the more i'll confess some of them piss me right off!! "

The house two doors down from me is essentially rented as rooms at £200 a week. That's one room and shared kitchen and bathroom. I don't live in a rich part of London, far from it. The cuts are socially cleansing London but as an old colleague once said, dirt is where it is and some people will always want others to clean it for them. They won't be able to afford to get to the dirt to do the cleaning jobs soon.

over a year ago

We live in a 3 bedroom house not far from Gatwick and that is £1000 per month.

Post new Message to Thread