Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

GREENHOUSE GAS

Jump to newest

By *uton_couple OP   Couple
over a year ago

luton

there is an advert running on tv now telling us to drive 5 miles per week less , and to do our bit to stop climate change

what i would like someone to tell me is , if the world demand for oil is going up and up and up , due to the developing countrys wanting more and more ( and who can blame them )

plus , gordon brown recently asked the oil producers to pump the stuff as fast as they can as there was , and still is a shortage

and as im sure very few out there will dissagree that the oil that is in the ground will eventually be sucked out to the very last drop ( sooner rather than later )

bearing in mind that theres many many thousands of people out there like for example tiger woods that have 3 twenty roomed mansions , and 8 massive four wheel drives , plus helicopters and private jets

not to mention that the oil is also needed to turn into fertilisers to produce food , or half the world will starve

what difference will it make if the odd little toad like me drives 5 miles a week less and turns the porch light off at night ?

because im buggered if i know

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I never blow off in the greenhouse, the tomatoes dont like it

over a year ago

global warming and the aleged effects to the earth ie carbon foot print etc are the makings of the biggest tax con the world has ever seen.its a fact as the earth orbits nearer the sun the world warms and then as it draws away from it the earth cools.in short the earth aint gunna blow up next wk,next yr or in the next 10.000 yrs unless someone pushed the big red nuke button.

By *imfromGlasgowMan
over a year ago

er...guess

I'm in no position to criticise anyone on this. I consider myself lucky if I can get my fuel consumption over 9 miles per gallon.

over a year ago

"I'm in no position to criticise anyone on this. I consider myself lucky if I can get my fuel consumption over 9 miles per gallon."

9 MPG ???

Wow, is it an earthmoving machine? A tank? a large ship ?

Forum Mod

over a year ago

"I never blow off in the greenhouse, the tomatoes dont like it"

what about the cucumbers though

over a year ago

Debs Farty Pants is solely responsible for global warming

By *artin216Man
over a year ago

Spilsby

Having watched a recent programme about greenhouse gasses...the beef industry contributes 17 times more gas than the transport industry.....and its our requirement for beef that has created the amount of cattle that exist.

so stop eating beef would prevent more greenhouse gasses than driving 5 miles less a week.

alternatively put pipes up cows bums and collect their gas for industry....

By *artin216Man
over a year ago

Spilsby

"Debs Farty Pants is solely responsible for global warming "

put a pipe up her bum... save the world..

Forum Mod

over a year ago

Ive got beef today so thats my bit done

Thats one more cow that won't be farting .............well maybe later

over a year ago

"Debs Farty Pants is solely responsible for global warming

put a pipe up her bum... save the world.. "

Would be to tempted to lite the end of the pipe....could be catasrophic

Forum Mod

over a year ago

Would be to tempted to lite the end of the pipe....could be catasrophic "

but hilarious

over a year ago

Would be to tempted to lite the end of the pipe....could be catasrophic "

**** Breaking news from Sky news ****

The UK today successfully launched the first ever astronaut into orbit with the space station WITHOUT the use of a rocket!!

over a year ago

Would be to tempted to lite the end of the pipe....could be catasrophic

**** Breaking news from Sky news ****

The UK today successfully launched the first ever astronaut into orbit with the space station WITHOUT the use of a rocket!! "

LMFAO

By *hemadcoupleCouple
over a year ago

cardiff

I could go on all day about this, but I won't. In a nutshell and to put it succinctly; as has already been said; it's all a tax con.

A simple reason for my conclusion? There isn't one, but lots of them. Mainly these are the holes and inconsistencies in the arguments put forward suggesting that not driving 4x4's and not using old technology light bulbs are going to "save the planet". It is of course, complete tosh.

Range Rovers are better for the environment than the rubbish Toyota Prius which is hailed as an environmental success, but is the worst polluting car on the planet. Other 4x4's are no more polluting than the equivalent family car.

Areas of Greenland are now farmable, having been uncovered from the glaciers. This is used as evidence of man's effect on the climate. Rubbish. Greenlanders have said that this is great news as they haven't farmed the land for 400 years. So the glacier had receded then too.

Geologically the World is still warming up after the last Ice Age, only 18000 yrs ago. 8000 years ago the UK was joined to France and there were settlements on land which is now below the North Sea. The UK is also tipping on edge, so the SE is getting lower naturally anyway.

Sorry, but no amount of playing God, thinking we can "tackle Climate Change" by driving less, (but we can't tax flying as that won't be politically acceptable) can change Earth's natural climate cycles. All the government sponsored science can be made to add up to whatever they want it to. If it is changing, and let's face it they can't forecast the weather over longer than a couple of days, then it would be better to spend cash on mitigation when we are faced with it, not chuck it down the drain now.

I see the Govt have kindly promised the third world one and a half billion pounds of our money. Taxpayers' money; yours and my hard earned cash. Nice of them.

In a couple of hundred years they'll be paying us to emit greenhouse gases on the long inexorable and unchangeable road to the next ice age, in an attempt to stop it.

By *im53Man
over a year ago

Boldon

In a couple of hundred years they'll be paying us to emit greenhouse gases on the long inexorable and unchangeable road to the next ice age, in an attempt to stop it.

could`t have said it better

wasn`t it king canute who wanted to turn the tide back we all laugh at him now and so will future generations at our govements

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

Based on current evidence i totally agree its the biggest scientific and political con trick ever pulled.

How arrogant to suggest our puny output of co2 can alter global weather and temperatures..

The Vostok ice core data on CO2 and temperature clearly show that the climate conditions undergo wide swings while their amplitude was well limited, which usually happens due to variety of strongly nonlinear effects.

The data shows a lag of one component relative to another, which is another indication of NONLINEAR DYNAMICS. In a science of nonlinear dynamics it means that the system is out of equillibrium, in constant dynamics, so the climate components are continuously OUT OF BALANCE. The climate components were, are, and will be out of balance for at least another billion years. It is the assumption of balance that blocks current climatology from finding an explanation for cyclic behavior of climate.

All the data we are being fed on this issue is flawed as we have not been around long enough to know what the hell is going on .And vested interests are just presenting it as they see fit to push there case.

like the previous poster i do have an open mind, but at the moment the evidence of the panic merchants is undone, when you realise that they are presenting a coherent case for change,based on minimal and flawed scientific evidence,contrary evidence is largely left out and any inconclusive evidence twisted to support there case .

over a year ago

there is no such as global warming,,polution yrs ,,,has no body heard ,of evolution ,,os did that just stop

By *i 1 Get 1 FreeCouple (MM)
over a year ago

birmingham

"Based on current evidence i totally agree its the biggest scientific and political con trick ever pulled"

Of course it is, governments have very few options to impose further stealth taxes on us, this is another way of introducing back door taxes

over a year ago

"I never blow off in the greenhouse, the tomatoes dont like it

what about the cucumbers though "

cucumbers are hardy and can survive

By *aughtyHubbyMan
over a year ago

Sunderland

I'm amazed Not only do I share a belief of the benefits of sexual freedom with folks on this website but it appears that I also share concerns and scepticism of man induced climate change.

My favourite laughable phrase in all of their arguments is "since records began"....Records began a mere dot ago in comparison to the age of the planet therefore harldy useful as reliable data.

Another point is...what makes them think the climate of the planet was ever gonna remain constant, since it never ever has been, why the f*ck would it start to be stable now?? And when it shows itself as an unstable force, they have to blame it on us! Like we caused all the other changes!!???

Rant over...and I'm pleased I'm not alone...actually, no,...supermarkets rattle my cage with their "bring your own bags and help us save the enironment" bollocks. So they want me to bring bags to save us from eternal damnation but at the same time are happy to fly a punnet of strawberrys halfway around the globe in the attempt at makeing some profit!!!

Rant over...no seriously it is this time!

over a year ago

birmingham

"supermarkets rattle my cage with their "bring your own bags and help us save the enironment" bollocks"

Yeh, but happy to sell us petrol, allocate parking for 200 cars with any new development, etc.,. etc., and guess who falls for it

over a year ago

luton

thanks for all the "sensible " replys , and for the funny ones

but i dont think anyone has answered the fundamental point

lets just suppose for one minute the problem is man made

how is driving a few miles a week less , and using a fecking carrier bag 3 times going to make any difference when the oil wells are pumping so hard the bearings are red hot , and will continue to do so untill its all used up and burnt ?

unless the replys suggesting its all a tax fiddle etc are sum kind of an answer

if thats true ( and i suspect it is ) why hasnt any of the green partys pointed out to people that the only way to reduce carbon emmitions is to cut the flow of pumping it out of the ground ?

gordon browns fuel tax excalator is like trying to fix a hole in the roof by changing the wheel on the car , it just dont make any sense

the governments idea of fixing things this way is so daft they must think we have brains smaller than a gerbil

By *artin216Man
over a year ago

Spilsby

F++king hell...this is heavy....much too heavy a subject for a sunday evening....

I'm sure greenpeace have forums too, this is a swinging site, or it used to be....

over a year ago

global bloody warmin i wish!!! im sittin here 2 pair o jammies a dressing gown 2 pair o socks and the heatin on!!!

im all for recycling i must say and also reuse etc! my wee car gets 49mph to the gallon did i buy it for that no i bought it cause it had wee bits at side for volume of radio!!

over a year ago

birmingham

"global bloody warmin i wish!!! im sittin here 2 pair o jammies a dressing gown 2 pair o socks and the heatin on!!!"

If you were closer, we'd pop round and keep you warm

over a year ago

aww thanks!!! would u make coffee too am a bit hungover lolxx

over a year ago

birmingham

"aww thanks!!! would u make coffee too am a bit hungover lolxx "

Kid can do that whilst I warm you up under the quilt!

over a year ago

I can't help but not take anyone seriously on this thread when every post there is a dirty pic to distract me......

over a year ago

"aww thanks!!! would u make coffee too am a bit hungover lolxx

Kid can do that whilst I warm you up under the quilt! "

see you pair u just too kind!! xx

By *aughtyHubbyMan
over a year ago

Sunderland

"thanks for all the "sensible " replys , and for the funny ones

but i dont think anyone has answered the fundamental point

lets just suppose for one minute the problem is man made

how is driving a few miles a week less , and using a fecking carrier bag 3 times going to make any difference when the oil wells are pumping so hard the bearings are red hot , and will continue to do so untill its all used up and burnt ?

unless the replys suggesting its all a tax fiddle etc are sum kind of an answer

if thats true ( and i suspect it is ) why hasnt any of the green partys pointed out to people that the only way to reduce carbon emmitions is to cut the flow of pumping it out of the ground ?

gordon browns fuel tax excalator is like trying to fix a hole in the roof by changing the wheel on the car , it just dont make any sense

the governments idea of fixing things this way is so daft they must think we have brains smaller than a gerbil "

I totally take your point. Thing is, if man is causing climate change, and a large contributor to that is oil useage, then no matter how many carrier bags we keep reusing its pretty much worthless. Change will only be made when the fabric and structure of our society totally changes. Which I cant see happening in our life time.

over a year ago

Whilst there is no doubt that this government has made millions out of "global warming" taxes to suggest that global warming and our part in it is bollox is barking feckin mad. That would require a global conspiricy the like to have never been seen. The only thing that is unclear is how much we contributre to the effect but to suggest we dont is plain daft

By *artin216Man
over a year ago

Spilsby

This arguement to me is never ending....we want consumer goods, to make consumer goods we use resources such a oils and plastics and all manner of chemical processes.

Its all because we want.!!!

If the cost of us wanting is climate change, then so be it...theres always a cost...its a simple choice...what are you personnally prepared to give up?

What do you not want to give up.

Realistically, we cant keep wanting but not want to pay, whether it be monetarily, or climatically...

thats as far as my wisdom goes on this.

By *hemadcoupleCouple
over a year ago

cardiff

The only thing we can really be sure about is that Man adds to the levels of CO2 in the atmosphere and adds to the levels of methane by virtue of our need for breeding huge numbers of cattle.

The actual effects of these additions are a very big grey area, but CO2 forms 0.015% of the composition of the atmosphere, and the UK is responsible for less than 2% of the portion issued by Man.

I think it is a debatable point as to whether Man's additions will affect the natural climate variations and by how much, if they do. I do not believe current official climate science models as there are so many variables and unknowns, and contradictions.

You can read governments like a book, and I think it is a global conspiracy (a band wagon). You only have to read between the lines.

They tax motoring more and more and tell us we should drive less, yet they promote the sale of new cars to prop up the industry. They tell us they tax motoring to cut down car use, and at the same time refuse to tax air travel, saying that we will always fly so it won't work, and that modern and future aero engine developments will further cut emissions. Funny that, because if we were really in the soup, cutting it down now would be better than just not doing nothing.

Recent figures released show the warmest decade on record and yet, up until now, officially no warming had happened for ten years, and last winter was the coldest for decades globally. (Ah they say, that is just a glitch year. Any excuse eh.)

Well I don't buy it. Earth's own natural cycles are much bigger than anything we can throw at it, even if we do have an effect on it. Current assumptions are that if the Earth warms up it will be all our fault, and that is dangerous, not to speak of ridiculous.

That isn't to say that we shouldn't be prudent with resources and use renewables where possible. That's a different matter, but for the right reasons, not induced hysteria such that drivers are accosted by crazed enviro extremists who only read the prophets of doom in the paper and listen to them on the BBC, and accuse these drivers of single handedly inducing armageddon because they drive a 4x4. That is pure mindless ignorance, not to speak of complete tosh.

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

"Whilst there is no doubt that this government has made millions out of "global warming" taxes to suggest that global warming and our part in it is bollox is barking feckin mad. That would require a global conspiricy the like to have never been seen. The only thing that is unclear is how much we contributre to the effect but to suggest we dont is plain daft "

The problem is that climatic science is a totally new field and very embryonic,for every scientist spouting that co2 causes global warming ,there is a equally eminent scientist saying your wrong and discrediting the science .

Even as late as last week emails were released by concerned scientist in the pro camp the Cambridge goup saying contrary evidence is deliberately being left out and making it incoherent and susceptible to wrong interpretation .

err global conspiracy its been known Iraq-WMD or Yalta 1945 the biggest land carve up in history eliminating a free Poland for 50 years, even though we went to war over them or perhaps even Tony Blairs admission last week ...re Iraq.

If you believe back door deals are not being done as we speak in Denmark effecting us all for the next 50 years on flawed evidence ......your daft .

Imho

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

i fart out the window, does that help or not????

By *hemadcoupleCouple
over a year ago

cardiff

"i fart out the window, does that help or not???? "

It depends on whether anyone sees you mooning through the window! The knock on effects could be profound.

By *aughtyHubbyMan
over a year ago

Sunderland

"The only thing we can really be sure about is that Man adds to the levels of CO2 in the atmosphere and adds to the levels of methane by virtue of our need for breeding huge numbers of cattle.

The actual effects of these additions are a very big grey area, but CO2 forms 0.015% of the composition of the atmosphere, and the UK is responsible for less than 2% of the portion issued by Man.

I think it is a debatable point as to whether Man's additions will affect the natural climate variations and by how much, if they do. I do not believe current official climate science models as there are so many variables and unknowns, and contradictions.

You can read governments like a book, and I think it is a global conspiracy (a band wagon). You only have to read between the lines.

They tax motoring more and more and tell us we should drive less, yet they promote the sale of new cars to prop up the industry. They tell us they tax motoring to cut down car use, and at the same time refuse to tax air travel, saying that we will always fly so it won't work, and that modern and future aero engine developments will further cut emissions. Funny that, because if we were really in the soup, cutting it down now would be better than just not doing nothing.

Recent figures released show the warmest decade on record and yet, up until now, officially no warming had happened for ten years, and last winter was the coldest for decades globally. (Ah they say, that is just a glitch year. Any excuse eh.)

Well I don't buy it. Earth's own natural cycles are much bigger than anything we can throw at it, even if we do have an effect on it. Current assumptions are that if the Earth warms up it will be all our fault, and that is dangerous, not to speak of ridiculous.

That isn't to say that we shouldn't be prudent with resources and use renewables where possible. That's a different matter, but for the right reasons, not induced hysteria such that drivers are accosted by crazed enviro extremists who only read the prophets of doom in the paper and listen to them on the BBC, and accuse these drivers of single handedly inducing armageddon because they drive a 4x4. That is pure mindless ignorance, not to speak of complete tosh.

"

That pretty much sums up my thoughts without me having to type any of it!

And regarding a global conspiracy.....Climate change ticks a number of boxes across the political divides. And although it may be cynical, it also provides a seemingly legitimate way of raising taxes and to a limited degree helps to keep the populous focused on matters that provide a common aim for their given society...less divisions = less troubles for the governments. HENCE each of our three main political partys are all claiming to be greener than the others...even to the point where the Tory's logo has a nice little tree on it!!

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"i fart out the window, does that help or not????

It depends on whether anyone sees you mooning through the window! The knock on effects could be profound."

ooooh i hadnt thought of that!!

over a year ago

All this bollocks about global warming is designed to get us - the consumer public, all over the world - to be slowly weaned off the use of Oil, or rather it's refined product, petrol. Why?

Coz the fookin stuff is running out and govt. all over the world need to start introducing alternative methods of propulsion. Alternative technology has been around for some time now but to ban the combustion engine would lose so many jobs and decimate the motor industry that no govt anywhere dares to do it.

So what do they come up with instead?

Global warming.

And it's YOUR fault for driving everywhere.

Geddit now?

over a year ago

luton

with all respect i still dont think that ( unless i missed it )anyone has really answered the original question

personally im not convinced it is a man made problem that the average temperatures have gone up over the last few years

i think it was 20,0000 years ago the average temperature went up by 10 degrees over about 15 years !

what caused that ?

even if we assume for one moment it is human activity causing the rise in temperature , due to CO2 emissions what is the point of talking about what country is going to cut this or that when the oil is being pumped like theres no tommorow

the USA using a bit less and India a bit more is just so laughable

if they were going to do anything about it the only way is to cap a few oil wells ................ but they wont

its like a thirsty man in the dessert being told not to drink from a barrel of water as if he does it will put him and the future of mankind in peril

he will listen to what you say and then take a drink

over a year ago

I did answer your question.

You asked:

What difference will it make if a little toad like me drives my car an extra 5 miles per day?

And I answered:

It will take the govt longer to wean you off using petrol. They want us to stop using the stuff so they can replace the combustion engine with something else - probably hydro-electric coz we're running out of oil and there isn't a govt anywhere who will sanction an outright ban on oil-reliant methods of propulsion (inc. trains, aircraft, tanks, ships etc etc blahdee blahdee blah)

over a year ago

luton

"I did answer your question.

You asked:

What difference will it make if a little toad like me drives my car an extra 5 miles per day?

And I answered:

It will take the govt longer to wean you off using petrol. They want us to stop using the stuff so they can replace the combustion engine with something else - probably hydro-electric coz we're running out of oil and there isn't a govt anywhere who will sanction an outright ban on oil-reliant methods of propulsion (inc. trains, aircraft, tanks, ships etc etc blahdee blahdee blah)"

must have missed it

what they do in the future with electric cars or cars that run on water is all well and good

but im being asked to do five miles a week less this week , ie today

and today the oil is being pumped at full tilt ............. today

over a year ago

Hope you guys are all wearing your tin foil hats as the notion that virtually every government on the planet is somehow involved in a nothing more than a tax generating conspiracy is simply laughable

over a year ago

"Hope you guys are all wearing your tin foil hats as the notion that virtually every government on the planet is somehow involved in a nothing more than a tax generating conspiracy is simply laughable "

how tinfoil hats?? iv seen it twice today and dont understand what it means?? yes im havin a slow day!! xx

over a year ago

"Hope you guys are all wearing your tin foil hats as the notion that virtually every government on the planet is somehow involved in a nothing more than a tax generating conspiracy is simply laughable

how tinfoil hats?? iv seen it twice today and dont understand what it means?? yes im havin a slow day!! xx "

Google it and you will have your answer

over a year ago

ok thanks!!! but really could u no just have told me and saved me time tut tut!!! lol xx

Forum Mod

over a year ago

"Hope you guys are all wearing your tin foil hats as the notion that virtually every government on the planet is somehow involved in a nothing more than a tax generating conspiracy is simply laughable

how tinfoil hats?? iv seen it twice today and dont understand what it means?? yes im havin a slow day!! xx

Google it and you will have your answer "

I googled it and it said stick in the middle of the oven on gas mark 5

over a year ago

"ok thanks!!! but really could u no just have told me and saved me time tut tut!!! lol xx "

You will feel much better about yourself having found it out for yourself and anyway, would you have believed me if I had

over a year ago

lol bonks i think i love u!!! wikipedia gave me the answer!!! lol cheers u made my night!! xx

over a year ago

"lol bonks i think i love u!!! wikipedia gave me the answer!!! lol cheers u made my night!! xx "

The pleasure was all mine

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

"Hope you guys are all wearing your tin foil hats as the notion that virtually every government on the planet is somehow involved in a nothing more than a tax generating conspiracy is simply laughable "

In actual fact, all governments have just jumped on the bandwagon when they realised that there was money to be made in Global Warming! And it was not a mass thing, many governments never agreed with it until they needed extra taxes to pay for the recession results!

Look at the third world now! They didn't agree with the fanatics findings until they realised that Good old Gordon and his mates would give them BILLIONS of pounds!!! Now they are all for it!!!

The scientific community are being just that! Scientists!!! They are always looking for funding and will go along with almost any theory as long at the funding is there. It is a fact that the only real money outside major corporations is in Climate Change research... Ergo.. Loads of Climate Change research and findings....

When the money runs out or starts getting short, they will then discover that the problem is not that bad and go on to the next big thing! Take a look at the climate of this planet over the last million or so years as discovered by scientists when I was at school! They told us then that the planet is still warming from 1. The last Ice Age and 2. From the final clearing of the atmosphere from the explosion of Krakatoa (West of Java!)

Look those last two facts up! They are a matter of scientific record, but try to find them on any Pro Climate Change website!!!

over a year ago

contrary to popular belief.....

me eating sprouts does not contribute to the "green house" effect. ok

By *artin216Man
over a year ago

Spilsby

Fuck it....just stop farting....job done, move on to next job...

overpopulation....just stop breeding....next

Lack of resources...just stop digging and drilling....next

Too many fat people, and others are starving....feed the fat people to the hungry ones....next

Paying too much taxes.....move somewhere else...next

Hate the government....get a new one next year, just exactly the same...dont like it move somewhere else...next

Has everybody forgotten what this site is about?....its su[posedly about having fun....fuck all funny going on around these threads at the minute.....

over a year ago

chill ....chill.....

over a year ago

In actual fact, all governments have just jumped on the bandwagon when they realised that there was money to be made in Global Warming! And it was not a mass thing, many governments never agreed with it until they needed extra taxes to pay for the recession results!

Look at the third world now! They didn't agree with the fanatics findings until they realised that Good old Gordon and his mates would give them BILLIONS of pounds!!! Now they are all for it!!!

The scientific community are being just that! Scientists!!! They are always looking for funding and will go along with almost any theory as long at the funding is there. It is a fact that the only real money outside major corporations is in Climate Change research... Ergo.. Loads of Climate Change research and findings....

When the money runs out or starts getting short, they will then discover that the problem is not that bad and go on to the next big thing! Take a look at the climate of this planet over the last million or so years as discovered by scientists when I was at school! They told us then that the planet is still warming from 1. The last Ice Age and 2. From the final clearing of the atmosphere from the explosion of Krakatoa (West of Java!)

Look those last two facts up! They are a matter of scientific record, but try to find them on any Pro Climate Change website!!!"

In our own country MP's expenses eventually came to light via someone’s conscience and the offer of a few bob but in the case of global warming, with all the governments, all the civil serpents and other associated clingon’s involved and there is not one credible suggestion of a multi govermental conspiracy.

Folks some days you have to accept that if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck then there is a pretty good chance it’s a bloody duck, in the meantime don tin foil hats in case the men in the black Omega’s are outside the front door

over a year ago

"Fuck it....just stop farting....job done, move on to next job...

Too many fat people, and others are starving....feed the fat people to the hungry ones....next

Hate the government....get a new one next year, just exactly the same...dont like it move somewhere else...next

Has everybody forgotten what this site is about?....its su[posedly about having fun....fuck all funny going on around these threads at the minute.....

"

Start a new fun thread then... next.

By *artin216Man
over a year ago

Spilsby

Start a new fun thread then... next. "

why ? ,are your fingers broke ...lol...

over a year ago

why ? ,are your fingers broke ...lol... "

No, what I think he was trying to say was serious debate is not for everyone and as an alternative to the intellectual challenge you may want to start an easier to understand thread.

You know, something along the lines of bollox or the like, all easy to understand and not requiring too much thought process to deal with

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

[Removed by poster at 15/12/09 10:12:21]

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

No, what I think he was trying to say was serious debate is not for everyone and as an alternative to the intellectual challenge you may want to start an easier to understand thread.

You know, something along the lines of bollox or the like, all easy to understand and not requiring too much thought process to deal with "

i agree ,i enjoyed this thread made a change from the preoccupation we seem to have about food .this is, the lounge where anything within the rules can be discussed by anyone.

If you dont feel the need to contribute or are not interested,move on to the next thread..

Hats off to the original poster.

By *hemadcoupleCouple
over a year ago

cardiff

Yes, hats off to the original poster, (even if the original question hasn't been answered correctly in detail yet; still thinking about that; one has to work you know.)

I'd have liked to have started one, but didn't dare to, so hats off indeed, tinfoil or otherwise.

Actually, while the assumption is that forums like these on swing sites are generally "fun", "endless banter" and "intelligent drivel", it is quite right that things like this should come up and be talked about seriously. Why? because while we all like our fun, we actually all enjoy mainstream intelligent lives outside of all this and do have serious viewpoints on things. I would go so far to say that forums like this are the ideal place for such discussions. After all, where else would you find such a diverse cross section of the population, many of which are very knowledgeable, and have a very diverse meaningful debate? A bit of banter thrown in, keeps it all good natured as it should be. Those who don't want to participate can just pass it by and look at whatever they want to look at.

over a year ago

Just wait for all the brussel sprouts at Christmas lol

By *artin216Man
over a year ago

Spilsby

You know, something along the lines of bollox or the like, all easy to understand and not requiring too much thought process to deal with "

Exactly.!!!!!...

over a year ago

OK I don't do politics, I don't do Global Warming and I don't usually go for in depth conversations on here, much prefer to have a good old heart to heart pull it to pieces face to face ......... but......... as I see it if everyone were to drive 5 miles less a week, and everyone were to use the same carrier bag 3 times instead of once etc etc then as a massive collective it would by definition make a difference and the oil reserves etc would last that bit longer.

BUT you will never get EVERYONE to do anything so as a theory it works but in practice it really can't make that much difference just a few individuals being 'green', so as someone up above here said earlier, unless there is a massive shift in the way the whole world as a whole thinks and operates I guess we're stuffed !!! xxx;-) xxx

over a year ago

luton

"OK I don't do politics, I don't do Global Warming and I don't usually go for in depth conversations on here, much prefer to have a good old heart to heart pull it to pieces face to face ......... but......... as I see it if everyone were to drive 5 miles less a week, and everyone were to use the same carrier bag 3 times instead of once etc etc then as a massive collective it would by definition make a difference and the oil reserves etc would last that bit longer.

BUT you will never get EVERYONE to do anything so as a theory it works but in practice it really can't make that much difference just a few individuals being 'green', so as someone up above here said earlier, unless there is a massive shift in the way the whole world as a whole thinks and operates I guess we're stuffed !!! xxx;-) xxx"

this is the best reply ive seen

the only think im not sure about is the prolonging the oil reserves bit

if we do a few miles a week less and save a few carrier bags , it will only at best be enough to offset the extra fuel needed by the exploding world population , and hence increased demand

there is only one way that i can see it working and that would be to turn the imagianary massive stop cock , one millionth of an inch in the off direction for every 5 miles a week i do less

but they wont do it

the only reason i started this thread is because im sick to the back teeth of hearing about climate change every minute of the day

plus every time i go to tesco and buy about a hundred quids worth of stuff i get offered 1 bag to put it in , and if i ask for more i get looked at like a periah , go to walmart in the USA and there on a carousel available by the tens of thousand

so having read all the replys im not going to do five miles a week less

in fact im going go out on sunday and have an extra ride in the country

and if i was fortunate enough to have the money id use a ferkin hellicopter

thanks for all the replys xxx

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

It is like most people on this thread seemed to have grasped! It IS a tax generating dodge by the governments of the world!

Are we supposed to believe a government who extols the virtue of the Hybrid cars because they use (dirty) electric to run on sometimes, but ignore the fact that because of their high carbon manufacture, they are dirtier that most cars! They also ignore that those hybrids running down the motorway at 75 MPH are using more fuel than your average car because they have heavy batteries to lug about.

My car is doing over 50 mpg and is in a low tax bracket because it is green (ish). No it's not a small car with a tiny engine. Better still, I get that driving at 80 on motorways and I don't hang about on any road. There is no need to buy what the bearded wonders want you to buy at all!

Recycling... We do it but it really only makes sense for saving resources! Take your average can of beans.. You use the beans and if you are like us, you wash the can out under running water, thereby wasting water. Either that or your sink gets stained with bean colouring and you have to use chemicals to clean it! Then you put it in your recycle bin and it is collected by a big, dirty lorry! Taken to the council yard and is gathered up by a diesel JCB type machine to be loaded onto yet another lorry to be taken to the steel works. There it is sorted and checked by machines using energy.... And on it goes!

Then there is the carrier bag thing! We shop and get carrier bags to carry our shopping home. Once home, we use them in a bin for our rubbish in the kitchen. That is two uses. The alternative is to use a specially manufactured bag, made for bins and use it once! Makes no sense at all!

Luton, we are with you! Fed up to the back teeth with all this crap that NO ONE can prove! Just weight of numbers...

If they need to save resources, just tell us, but don't lie to us just to raise taxes!

goodnight and god bless!!!

By *hemadcoupleCouple
over a year ago

cardiff

Thinking about the effect of driving 5 miles less and switching your porch light off seems actually to be somewhat analogous to trying to save the Norfolk coast at Happisburgh from being eroded by the North Sea by asking everyone to drop a grain of sand on the beach to replace the eroded material.

Besides this, I think the advert referred to by the OP is misleading and should be reported to the Advertising Standards Association as plainly driving 5 miles less is not going to "stop climate change". It just creates adds to the Government's conditioning process whereby we are being got used to paying tax on everything over and over.

Motorists are already paying many times over for their carbon emissions. A scientific exercise has shown that if petrol was to be taxed on it's carbon emission alone, then the current level of tax would have to be REDUCED by a whopping 70p per litre! The Government know this as the science was done by Sterns, the Government advisors!

I think Rumour's reply above is brilliant. You forgot to add the transportation of the collected recycled materials by ship to China though, where it has been known to have been used for land fill!

If modern cars were built as simply and to dimensions resembling the cars of fifty years ago, (but incorporating the modern safety features), without all the electric crap which goes terminally wrong, they'd be much lighter and with new technology engines, would probably be doing 100mpg by now. As it is, mpg figures have barely improved over the cars of those times due to them being built bigger and heavier despite using thinner metal. They should be designing cars which last for twenty or more years, and still be desirable and maintainable (there are actually one or two examples now), and not with the built in obsolescence which means they get chucked, (or you get paid to scrap them!!) when they are only ten years old. Ludicrous wastage. That's another nail in the coffin of the Government's argument that they are doing everything possible.

Remember the Millenium Bug? All the computer controlled infrastructure in the World was going to fail on 31-12-1999 as computers were all going to reset their clocks to 1900. Aeroplanes were going to fall from the sky, communications were going to crash. Your video wouldn't work and your electronic watch would stop. Etc. It was going to be total disaster.

Millions were spent on fixes, but in the end it was proved to be all hot air. The date passed and nothing happened. Just more hysteria driven by the media and picked up on by the government.

over a year ago

Some of this Luddite mentality is absolutely priceless to read but the notion that the current Copenhagen Summit on Climate Change is actually a "cover" for an inter governmental revenue generating scheme really is tinfoil hat stuff

By *hemadcoupleCouple
over a year ago

cardiff

to you too bonks. With knobs on:

over a year ago

" to you too bonks. With knobs on: "

By *aughtyHubbyMan
over a year ago

Sunderland

"Some of this Luddite mentality is absolutely priceless to read but the notion that the current Copenhagen Summit on Climate Change is actually a "cover" for an inter governmental revenue generating scheme really is tinfoil hat stuff "

I hear that 45,000 people have travelled to Copenhagen for the Climate Change Conference...and how did they get there??????

Al Gore's Concerts for Climate Change...Live concerts throughout the world...powered by what exactly?

Al Gore's shifting of graphical data to enhance his case... naughty boy. CO2 accounts for approx 0.05% of the atmospheric gases of the planet. CO2 concentration rises FOLLOWING increases in earths temperature, and not before it.

Post new Message to Thread