Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Patient from hell

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

This is how my new GP has just described me!! All I did was ask for my painkillers!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ourbonKissMan
over a year ago

a land up north..... of leicester

Maybe his diagnostic powers can just tell from the sound of your voice?

Or your last gp left a note in your patient file

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"This is how my new GP has just described me!! All I did was ask for my painkillers! "
put a complaint in

over a year ago

How very professional of him!

over a year ago

Haha, I'm very matter of fact with doctors. He got the recent history and what treatment I'm on. Not the full convoluted story lol.

I may be seeing another doctor from now on!!

By *asey369Woman
over a year ago

London

Nice bedside manner!

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

My doctor who was fantastic and i had a fantastic relationship with, left to go to new zealand. I knew i was his favourite patient as someone told me.

Anyway when i went to see him he said, when i first met you i thought you was going to be a nightmare and i was proved right

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 12/03/13 11:55:46]

over a year ago

Report him to the practice manager and insist you are kept up to date with any disciplinary outcomes.

Deeply unprofessional of him.

over a year ago

"Report him to the practice manager and insist you are kept up to date with any disciplinary outcomes.

Deeply unprofessional of him."

I will PM you.

over a year ago

That's not good. Do you want me to go get them for you.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Report him to the practice manager and insist you are kept up to date with any disciplinary outcomes.

Deeply unprofessional of him."

Maybe just a tad over the top?....

over a year ago

"That's not good. Do you want me to go get them for you. "

I might just really piss him off and keep going back to him with my gynae problems!! Or see the female doctor.

over a year ago

nice to know your doctor has a sense of humour.

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

did he/she give any explanation for this comment ?

over a year ago

"nice to know your doctor has a sense of humour."

To be honest I think its a mixture of age and not knowing what to do when presented with someone who is very confident of their medical history. I think older doctors expect to tell the patient what they need rather than me telling him what I need.

over a year ago

"did he/she give any explanation for this comment ?"

I had spent 10 minutes explaining what medication I take and what for plus hospital admissions and upcoming scans. I think he may be a little overfaced. I think he's used to in growing toe nails and sniffly kids.

over a year ago

That's not very professional is it.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"did he/she give any explanation for this comment ?

I had spent 10 minutes explaining what medication I take and what for plus hospital admissions and upcoming scans. I think he may be a little overfaced. I think he's used to in growing toe nails and sniffly kids. "

He/she should of looked all that up on the computer before you even went in to see them. Cant understand why he would call you the patient from hell for that, im sure he/she sees a lot worse cases

over a year ago

Really do not let him get away with this. It's appalling behaviour for a GP!! As a nurse this makes my blood boil

over a year ago

"did he/she give any explanation for this comment ?

I had spent 10 minutes explaining what medication I take and what for plus hospital admissions and upcoming scans. I think he may be a little overfaced. I think he's used to in growing toe nails and sniffly kids.

He/she should of looked all that up on the computer before you even went in to see them. Cant understand why he would call you the patient from hell for that, im sure he/she sees a lot worse cases"

I've just registered at the practice. He asked for my medical history and I gave a blunt, matter of fact, condensed version.

I'd like to think there are harder patients than me

over a year ago

Deeply unprofessional of him.

Maybe just a tad over the top?...."

Why?

Bad practice is not something anyone should stand for from the health service. simply stating that you didn't like the comment will have no affect what-so-ever. Put it in writing and request a reply with 28 days, they are then obligated to act in it.

If people want a better service then we need to report the bad service as we encounter it.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

People on here do often jump to some incredible conclusions upon hearing one side of a story, we have no idea of how the conversation between patient and doctor went do we?

So describing his behaviour as 'appalling' and suggesting he needs to face disciplinary action is frankly ridiculous....

over a year ago

"People on here do often jump to some incredible conclusions upon hearing one side of a story, we have no idea of how the conversation between patient and doctor went do we?

So describing his behaviour as 'appalling' and suggesting he needs to face disciplinary action is frankly ridiculous....

"

So when is it appropriate fpr a Dr to to describe a patient in such manner?

over a year ago

May have been said in jest and came over wrong

over a year ago

"People on here do often jump to some incredible conclusions upon hearing one side of a story, we have no idea of how the conversation between patient and doctor went do we?

"

Would you like to know the full conversation or not? You decide. I didn't start this thread to attention seek before that gets thrown into the mix or because I am a fake. I started it because I was quite shocked by the GP's comment to the secretary on the phone whilst asking for my notes as I have just registered at the practice. I had never met him before.

over a year ago

"May have been said in jest and came over wrong"

I honestly don't think any malice was meant. Just a bit of a shock really!

over a year ago

"

Speaking as a medical professional myself, yes, he should be pulled up on it.

over a year ago

Your right of course, though doctors can be very rude to their patients.

"

over a year ago

There is no excuse for any healthcare professional to speak to a patient in such a manner, as a nurse I eould never dream of saying such remarks to anyone under my care. What I think maybe entirely different though.

I would report his comments to the practice manager.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Having worked in various pharmacies over the years before my career change, I can only say that I have heard all sorts of patient rants when they are not given their medication(s) of choice.

A GP has a professional duty to ensure that a patient doesn't dictate the pace of med prescriptions, many meds are highly addictive by nature and any GP worth his/her salt will act in the best interest of a patient when prescribing.

I have often witnessed 'ranty' patients moaning when their meds are reduced or changed....it doesn't automatically mean that a GP is wrong or uncaring, it is often done for exactly the right reasons.

So lets not all be too quick to judge and hang a GP when hearing one side of a conversation eh?....

over a year ago

"

another 'sensational' one sided story

over a year ago

"Having worked in various pharmacies over the years before my career change, I can only say that I have heard all sorts of patient rants when they are not given their medication(s) of choice.

A GP has a professional duty to ensure that a patient doesn't dictate the pace of med prescriptions, many meds are highly addictive by nature and any GP worth his/her salt will act in the best interest of a patient when prescribing.

I have often witnessed 'ranty' patients moaning when their meds are reduced or changed....it doesn't automatically mean that a GP is wrong or uncaring, it is often done for exactly the right reasons.

So lets not all be too quick to judge and hang a GP when hearing one side of a conversation eh?...."

I asked for my anti spasmodic and my NSAID which I need for my Endometriosis and IBS. They are both long term medications for me. I'm not ranting, I'm not saying he didn't give me my medication. All I'm saying is he called me the patient from hell. I am NOT addicted to my medication and take a lower than prescribed dose of the anti spasmodic so please do not imply that I am ranting because I am addicted.

By *nnebellWoman
over a year ago

somewhere

Context is everything...... Its not only how and what you say but also the relationship between the two people concerned......

over a year ago

"Context is everything...... Its not only how and what you say but also the relationship between the two people concerned......

"

I had only just met the doctor. Never seen him before in my life. He said in a jovial manner but I was still a little taken aback.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Maybe it was said in jest.

If it was, the poor man has been hung drawn and quartered for it

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I clearly lead a very uneventful and boring life....something for which I am eternally grateful.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Context is everything...... Its not only how and what you say but also the relationship between the two people concerned......

I had only just met the doctor. Never seen him before in my life. He said in a jovial manner but I was still a little taken aback. "

Then thats how I would have taken it...if he was jovial then I would have taken it as in jest

over a year ago

"I clearly lead a very uneventful and boring life....something for which I am eternally grateful.

"

I would be

over a year ago

My doctor is crap I went about somthing but was more interested about another medical thing that's on my record he wanted me to go back and discuss it he is still waiting get fucked mate lol

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

I had only just met the doctor. Never seen him before in my life. He said in a jovial manner but I was still a little taken aback. "

Well that puts a new slant on it then. You didnt say in your opening post that it was said in a jovial manner. I would have taken it how it was said

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

I had only just met the doctor. Never seen him before in my life. He said in a jovial manner but I was still a little taken aback.

Well that puts a new slant on it then. You didnt say in your opening post that it was said in a jovial manner. I would have taken it how it was said"

I agree. Tone and context is everything...

over a year ago

"My doctor is crap I went about somthing but was more interested about another medical thing that's on my record he wanted me to go back and discuss it he is still waiting get fucked mate lol "

You mean he actually wanted to discuss something he felt was necessary about your health? God forbid!

over a year ago

Well that puts a new slant on it then. You didnt say in your opening post that it was said in a jovial manner. I would have taken it how it was said"

As I said before, nice to have a doctor with a sense of humour. Some people could see a slight if you look at them funny.

over a year ago

"My doctor is crap I went about somthing but was more interested about another medical thing that's on my record he wanted me to go back and discuss it he is still waiting get fucked mate lol

You mean he actually wanted to discuss something he felt was necessary about your health? God forbid! "

My health is fine it's under control

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

" ..............

.............. I am NOT addicted to my medication and take a lower than prescribed dose of the anti spasmodic so please do not imply that I am ranting because I am addicted."

The 'prescribed dose' is the prescribed dose for a reason and it ain't because the NHS enjoys pumping patients up with more meds than are required.

over a year ago

Bet I'm worse than you come Friday

over a year ago

"Bet I'm worse than you come Friday "

You better behave yourself or I'll come visit you!!!

over a year ago

"Bet I'm worse than you come Friday

You better behave yourself or I'll come visit you!!!"

Lol well not like I can give any the nurses lip is it

over a year ago

Lol well not like I can give any the nurses lip is it "

haha I'm serious, any trouble and I will come and tell you off, mainly because you won't be able to give it back!!!

over a year ago

haha I'm serious, any trouble and I will come and tell you off, mainly because you won't be able to give it back!!!"

Don't think you can go taking liberties lady

over a year ago

"This is how my new GP has just described me!! All I did was ask for my painkillers! "

Report him. That's abuse these days. Who is he to make such a comment??

over a year ago

haha I'm serious, any trouble and I will come and tell you off, mainly because you won't be able to give it back!!!

Don't think you can go taking liberties lady "

Its not your liberties you need to worry about lol!! No talking = no noises hehe

over a year ago

Its not your liberties you need to worry about lol!! No talking = no noises hehe"

*GULP*

over a year ago

"Having worked in various pharmacies over the years before my career change, I can only say that I have heard all sorts of patient rants when they are not given their medication(s) of choice.

So lets not all be too quick to judge and hang a GP when hearing one side of a conversation eh?....

I asked for my anti spasmodic and my NSAID which I need for my Endometriosis and IBS. They are both long term medications for me. I'm not ranting, I'm not saying he didn't give me my medication. All I'm saying is he called me the patient from hell. I am NOT addicted to my medication and take a lower than prescribed dose of the anti spasmodic so please do not imply that I am ranting because I am addicted."

I don't think that is what the poster was saying, I think his comment was more general rather than addressed specifically to you..... Besides you could have had a script for codine or an anti depressant.......

over a year ago

Its not your liberties you need to worry about lol!! No talking = no noises hehe

*GULP* "

hmmm I think I'll be one gulping. I doubt you'll be fit to gulp

over a year ago

He should be hung, drawn and quartered, then struck off and exiled to Scotland for daring to make a comment to a paying customer that may be construed loosely as an insult if you squint a little.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

Did you say to him that you thought the comment was inappropriate and allow him to explain the context of the comment...

Have you phoned up and asked for a telephone chat with him to explain how you feel

By *eal_Dick_TurpinMan
over a year ago

Exeter

"nice to know your doctor has a sense of humour.

To be honest I think its a mixture of age and not knowing what to do when presented with someone who is very confident of their medical history. I think older doctors expect to tell the patient what they need rather than me telling him what I need. "

so if you know so much why do you need a Dr, why not just write your own scrips since you are obviously medically qualified...

patient from hell sounds about right.

over a year ago

I love doctors that use straight talk rather than politically correct bullshit and medical speak.

I am more and more convinced that with each day, we are moving towards a situation where people have now started to _iew outrage as a lifestyle choice.

And more to the point we spend millions on supporting that culture.

Let's get back to saying it how it is !

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

When people die or are taken into care homes their unused meds are generally returned to their local pharmacy to be safely and legally disposed of, you would not believe the amount that are sometimes returned....it is not unusual to have them come back in black bin liners there are that many.

Some of their bereaved relatives are godsmacked at how many they end up clearing out of the homes of those that have died or gone into care.

Many of these prescriptions cost absolute fortunes and have no monetary value when they are taken away for destruction....which incidentally is also charged to the NHS.

GP's are under strict guidelines to reduce this waste and also to deter patients from taking too many tablets or fall into the habit of taking meds that they don't really need, or could do without or cut down on.

This is why any GP worth his/her salt will discuss and query patient medication when they first encounter them or take over their caseload.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"When people die or are taken into care homes their unused meds are generally returned to their local pharmacy to be safely and legally disposed of, you would not believe the amount that are sometimes returned....it is not unusual to have them come back in black bin liners there are that many.

Some of their bereaved relatives are godsmacked at how many they end up clearing out of the homes of those that have died or gone into care.

Many of these prescriptions cost absolute fortunes and have no monetary value when they are taken away for destruction....which incidentally is also charged to the NHS.

GP's are under strict guidelines to reduce this waste and also to deter patients from taking too many tablets or fall into the habit of taking meds that they don't really need, or could do without or cut down on.

This is why any GP worth his/her salt will discuss and query patient medication when they first encounter them or take over their caseload.

"

I have 2twice a year appointments just to talk about my medication. Its for people that are chronically ill and on life time medication. I also have a yearly one with the pharmasist.

Instead of trying to cut them down they give me even more lol, my doctor is always making jokes with me and sits holding my hand and rubbing it and im sure he doesnt do that with every patient

over a year ago

Context is everything isn't it.

The OP is a new patient, the GP hadn't seen her before, he looked at her notes and made a little joke about her being 'the patient from hell' in an attempt to build a bit of jokey rapport to put her at her ease. And of course the patient didn't take it in the way the statement was delivered.

So there's another slant to it .....

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

My understanding is that large quantities of meds found in the homes of old (and not so old) folk are often a result of the local pharmacy 'offering' to take over the re-ordering and delivering supplies to the patient.

It's not unheard of for such an arrangement to continue after the patient has died.

Mind you, it's not unheard of for a GP to keep claiming annual fees for patients who are dead.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

It sounded as though the op was for sensationalizem, if it had been said in the first post that it had been done in a jovial way then im sure some would have had a different take on it.

This is what happens when we only here one side of the story

over a year ago

"My doctor is crap I went about somthing but was more interested about another medical thing that's on my record he wanted me to go back and discuss it he is still waiting get fucked mate lol "

I once had to listen at length to someone complain how crap her GP was. How when she went about her diabetes all he did was lecture about her diet and when she went about her COPD all he did was talk about her smoking.

I'm not sure why but your post reminded me of this.

I fail to see how your GP wanting to discuss something that he finds a concern and you are refusing to engage with him makes him "crap" - if anything, to me it suggests the oppositte.

over a year ago

I don't actually see why I need to defend myself. My post wasn't sensationalism. I had NEVER seen the doctor before in my life. I had given him a brief over_iew of my medical history. He rang the secretary and laughed as he said "I've got the patient from hell here" I was really shocked at what he said as I had NEVER met him before. I am not the patient from hell whether meant jokingly or seriously, I'm someone with a chronic medical condition.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"I don't actually see why I need to defend myself. My post wasn't sensationalism. I had NEVER seen the doctor before in my life. I had given him a brief over_iew of my medical history. He rang the secretary and laughed as he said "I've got the patient from hell here" I was really shocked at what he said as I had NEVER met him before. I am not the patient from hell whether meant jokingly or seriously, I'm someone with a chronic medical condition."
i do think you have overthougt this. therd are lots people with worse conditons. as your a new patient he could have said it to lighten things. did you explain to him why you was shocked. i love my doctor and he says things to me in a lighted way. id hate to see a doctor i dont have a repoir with

over a year ago

"I don't actually see why I need to defend myself. My post wasn't sensationalism. I had NEVER seen the doctor before in my life. I had given him a brief over_iew of my medical history. He rang the secretary and laughed as he said "I've got the patient from hell here" I was really shocked at what he said as I had NEVER met him before. I am not the patient from hell whether meant jokingly or seriously, I'm someone with a chronic medical condition.i do think you have overthougt this. therd are lots people with worse conditons. as your a new patient he could have said it to lighten things. did you explain to him why you was shocked. i love my doctor and he says things to me in a lighted way. id hate to see a doctor i dont have a repoir with"

No I was sent to see the secretary who he had just spoken to to give my details. Maybe I have over thought it but there's lots going on with my health and fertility which is making me slightly touchy about things. I haven't always been ill.

over a year ago

"I don't actually see why I need to defend myself. My post wasn't sensationalism. I had NEVER seen the doctor before in my life. I had given him a brief over_iew of my medical history. He rang the secretary and laughed as he said "I've got the patient from hell here" I was really shocked at what he said as I had NEVER met him before. I am not the patient from hell whether meant jokingly or seriously, I'm someone with a chronic medical condition.i do think you have overthougt this. therd are lots people with worse conditons. as your a new patient he could have said it to lighten things. did you explain to him why you was shocked. i love my doctor and he says things to me in a lighted way. id hate to see a doctor i dont have a repoir with

No I was sent to see the secretary who he had just spoken to to give my details. Maybe I have over thought it but there's lots going on with my health and fertility which is making me slightly touchy about things. I haven't always been ill. "

Maybe his patient from hell comment meant you had been going through hell healthwise then?

Anyhoo no use you or any of us second guessing him, next time you see him ask him what he meant by the comment.

over a year ago

Endometriosis doesn't always cause fertility issues. I had keyhole surgery for endometriosis when I was 19, and a scan afterwards flagged up scar tissue on my womb, yet I had a perfectly normal pregnancy

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Been thinking about this for a few minutes, contrary to my usual jump in with both feet. I am not sure I would take offense if this was said to me for the following reason : The statement "i have the patient from hell here" mad ein the presence of that patient to me is so obviously a joke that it could not have possibly been meant in any other way.

That said the Doc should perhaps have been a little more sensitive that not all patients would share his sense of humour.

It does sound, all things considered as far as possible, to me it would have been a joke.

over a year ago

"It sounded as though the op was for sensationalizem, if it had been said in the first post that it had been done in a jovial way then im sure some would have had a different take on it.

This is what happens when we only here one side of the story"

What an outrageous thing to say! Name me one post on here about someones real life issues where the information has not evolved..... You really do see all sides of people eventually...... Empty vessels........

Post new Message to Thread