Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Please read important xxx

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Hiya you lot a serious post for a change

Yesterday i was called to a customers house to service a gas fire that had not been serviced for over three years

It was a coal effect one that sits in the fire place

After isolating the gas at the front of the fire i removed it and behind there was a big fall of soot

I started to remove the soot and suddenly the gas pipe fell off in my hand

The fire was installed correctly and the pipe had been properly taped and protected but because of the amount of soot and the time it had been there it had somehow got under the tape and corroded the pipe

I was suddenly in the position of a broken gas pipe with mains gas pouring out

Luckily the householder was there and i put my finger over the end of the pipe while she found the meter and turned off

So i would ask all you lovley people to make sure you get your gas fires boilers etc checked every year because although it may look alright it may have hidden dangers (the pipe could well have leaked badly at any time)

Keep safe everyone and remember please use a gas safe engineer

xxx

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"... remember please use a gas safe engineer"

There's nothing worse than having a nice sexy serviceman round to play and he keeps farting all the time so we second the above post. Always use a gas safe engineer.

(p.s. Joking aside, get ya boiler's checked once per year as £60/service is a lot cheaper than a coffin.)

over a year ago

"... remember please use a gas safe engineer

There's nothing worse than having a nice sexy serviceman round to play and he keeps farting all the time so we second the above post. Always use a gas safe engineer.

(p.s. Joking aside, get ya boiler's checked once per year as £60/service is a lot cheaper than a coffin.) "

Crikey £60 lol im too cheap then at £40

over a year ago

"... remember please use a gas safe engineer

(p.s. Joking aside, get ya boiler's checked once per year as £60/service is a lot cheaper than a coffin.)

Crikey £60 lol im too cheap then at £40 "

Rates have come down since last year then. Proof that tradesmen do respond to recessions. Shame you're in the other Newcastle or ya could have come n serviced my old boiler.

over a year ago

Have been £40 for years lol

However i know a big company that shall remain nameless charge nearly three times that xx

over a year ago

"Hiya you lot a serious post for a change

Yesterday i was called to a customers house to service a gas fire that had not been serviced for over three years

After isolating the gas at the front of the fire i removed it and behind there was a big fall of soot

The fire was installed correctly and the pipe had been properly taped and protected but because of the amount of soot and the time it had been there it had somehow got under the tape and corroded the pipe

Luckily the householder was there and i put my finger over the end of the pipe while she found the meter and turned off

So i would ask all you lovley people to make sure you get your gas fires boilers etc checked every year because although it may look alright it may have hidden dangers (the pipe could well have leaked badly at any time)

xxx

"

Sound advice....no gas here in my wikd and bonny part of the UK....but the few quid it'll cost for the service is certainly worth every penny

over a year ago

We have the B/Gas Homewise plan thingy which covers us for all plumbing and gas. I'm usually quite sceptical of these schemes but that one seems worth it. We pay £24/month and have called them out twice in the past six months. They fix the problem and we pay a fixed fee of £50 per fault. With the problems we had it actually saved us £00's...

...plus because the problem was with the boiler he had to service it anyway saving us another £60.

over a year ago

Yep they can be worth it in some cases not all though xx

over a year ago

"Hiya you lot a serious post for a change"

Did you RIDDOR it?

By *artin216Man
over a year ago

Spilsby

xxx

"

Reminds me of the story of the little boy who put his finger in a hole in the dyke....

over a year ago

Thanks for the reminder!

And yes, Craig, you are way too cheap at 40 GBP per hour!!!

over a year ago

due to a faulty gas fire when i was younger it nearly wiped out the full family as we were gettin poisoned with carbon monoxide on christmas day a quick thinking family member who was visitin realised what was happenin and shut it off and called engineer.

always get the service and if u have detectors check them. we had a very close call x

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"We have the B/Gas Homewise plan thingy which covers us for all plumbing and gas. I'm usually quite sceptical of these schemes but that one seems worth it. We pay £24/month and have called them out twice in the past six months. They fix the problem and we pay a fixed fee of £50 per fault. With the problems we had it actually saved us £00's...

...plus because the problem was with the boiler he had to service it anyway saving us another £60. "

You can now get an insurance policy that comes with your house insurance. It costs about £60 a year extra and it covers boiler/roof/drains/electric etc in an emergancy and come out to fix your problem without giving them any extra money. We used it for the boiler , they came out inside 5 hours, located the problem, ordered the part and were back the next day to fix it...cost nothing to us.

Obviously a service it doesn't cover but that is only about £50 a year.

Some companies are giving it free if it is the first year you take out house insurance with them.

But yes, get a trained gas fitter with a corgi reg ( think it has changed name now) you can check on the website if the plumber is legit or not by the number on his card, as the previous owners of our last house had a cowboy in and they nearly died with the gas fire !

over a year ago

"Keep safe everyone and remember please use a gas safe engineer"

yeah just remind him to put his condom on......be safe everytime forumnites lol

over a year ago

Bump x

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

I've serviced many an old boiler and never charged for it.

over a year ago

bump x

over a year ago

x

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

Bloody gas fire nearly did for me many years ago

I personally think that a gas monitor should be in built into every house as we do with smoke alarms these days.

Steve

By *ickmealloverWoman
over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

my ex hubby was a gas engineer

met me when he came to let a bird out of my chimney

I agree, get your gas appliances serviced every year without fail

By *heekychezzaWoman
over a year ago

warrington

"

Crikey £60 lol im too cheap then at £40 "

You gonna service my boiler then

over a year ago

"

You gonna service my boiler then "

Again? lol god you are safety conscious arnt ya lol xx

By *heekychezzaWoman
over a year ago

warrington

"

Again? lol god you are safety conscious arnt ya lol xx "

what you think twice a month is excessive!!!!

over a year ago

"

Again? lol god you are safety conscious arnt ya lol xx

what you think twice a month is excessive!!!! "

Err lol

over a year ago

I had a similar job about a year ago. Went to isolate and remove an old gas fire in a bedroom.

When going to chop the pipe back to the supply, I found a Yorshire straight connector which had been pushed together but never soldered !

How on earth there had never been a leak is beyond me ...

Just goes to show dunnit ?

over a year ago

Thanks for that Craig, my gas fire is due a check. I'll also have to stop kicking the central heating pump to keep it going xxx

By *riendlyfunfemWoman
over a year ago

A world of my own

Craig if your only charging £40 you can come and service my boiler anytime, its due a check up Its a pity you don't live closer cos I mean it!

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

think we'll save to 40 quid and not bother with central heating - but good point Craig m8 better to be safe than sorry (visit to boots comming up)

over a year ago

Once again i have found myself without bloody gas because the meter keeps turning its self off ????

So out come british gas, tall slim guy cuz he the only sort who can get in me cupboard

And he was great, gave me a new meter and sorted me out. completely free of charge too

Im lovely and warm now

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"Once again i have found myself without bloody gas because the meter keeps turning its self off ????

So out come british gas, tall slim guy cuz he the only sort who can get in me cupboard

And he was great, gave me a new meter and sorted me out. completely free of charge too

Im lovely and warm now "

so is he still in the cupboard??

over a year ago

lmao

i wish

over a year ago

Pom is a qualified gas engineer - and electrician - and fridge engineer ... lucky me

over a year ago

"Craig if your only charging £40 you can come and service my boiler anytime, its due a check up Its a pity you don't live closer cos I mean it!"

Anytime hun just give me a shout xx

over a year ago

xxx

"

this is such good advice we had our gas fire serviced and turned out alot of things were wrong nothing as bad as a broken pipe but so far its cost over £400 better safe than sorry i say esp when u have 2 kids at home.

every 12 months is what our local gas engineer recommends

By *plfromfifeCouple
over a year ago

levenmouth

One thing everyone should remember is the national gas emergency number 0800 111 999. If you ever think you smell gas (inside or outside) call it. It works from anywhere in the country 24hrs a day, 365days a year. Once you call that number an emergency enginner will be at your door within 1 hour of making the call. A lot better to be safe than sorry.

By *mcouple1Couple
over a year ago

nr warrington

as a building inspector 1 thing u should remember is corgi has gone . before any 1 goes near ur gas equip see if they ask for ur old cert . if they don,t think y not .

Post new Message to Thread