Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Inheritance

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
38 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Is an inheritance from parents a right or a privilege.

Should a lonely elderly parent splash the cash on a younger lover or save it for the kids ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
38 weeks ago

It’s a privilege for sure

38 weeks ago

"Is an inheritance from parents a right or a privilege.

Should a lonely elderly parent splash the cash on a younger lover or save it for the kids ?"

Get yourself a younger lover and have fun!

Kids are owed nothing. The parent should spend it on jaffa cakes and caravan holidays if that's what they want.

38 weeks ago

The kids should be sent out into the wild with a plastic dinner knife to fend for themselves. When they return with a suitable trophy demonstrating their suitability to be part of the family (frankly a steak bake will do, long as it’s not thermo nuclear hot and not cold).

If you don’t live near wilderness any feral small market town will suffice.

By *ora the explorerWoman
38 weeks ago

Paradise, Herts

Depends on the situation. I want to make sure my kids have a lot of money coming to them but I’m sure my situation is different to most people’s. Basically it’s totally up to the individuals what they want to do with their money. I hope my parents carry on enjoying their cruises etc and splash the whole lot!

By *rHotNottsMan
38 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

It’s a privilege.I wanna die with exactly zero, otherwise I’ve worked too long and saved too much.

By *inkyguyUKMan
38 weeks ago

worcester

It depends, did they get inheritance? If so then it makes sense to have invested it wisely and pass on the same to their children taking into account inflation, if they did this there should be enough to do both. If trump had put his inheritance in a tracker fund he would be a lot richer than her is, he has made no money himself. If they got bo inheritance and have some money why not. depends if you care about your family or not. I am all for enjoying life but blowing it all for the sake of blowing it is just silly

By *ig1gaz1Man
38 weeks ago

bradford

Its not the childrens until there dead and buried.

Its up to the parents what they do with what they bought with there money.

the same can be said with the children they shouldnt expect either.

By *929Man
38 weeks ago

newcastle

Definitely a privilege, my main goal is to leave my kids as much as I possibly can to make their life easier but the condition is they have to prove to be good with money and acquire their own assets first rather than rely on what I leave them. If they are shit with money or turn out to be distrustful fucking bums I’ll sell everything and blow it

38 weeks ago

It’s a privilege as the kids didn't earn it

By *rHotNottsMan
38 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Its not the childrens until there dead and buried.

the same can be said with the children they shouldnt expect either."

Generally kids need investing in most between 0 and 21. Nana little bit up to 25. Most kids will benefit from extra money at 40 or 50 but those parents would’ve done much better job spending on them decades earlier on education, travel, skills , healthy food

By *wisted999Man
38 weeks ago

North Bucks

Privilege.

I have told my Dad the only thing I want from him is the hiking stick he used to use when we went on long walks as a child. It sits in his study where it always catches my eye.

He has been very generous to me throughout life in more ways than just money he owes me nothing.

By *ig1gaz1Man
38 weeks ago

bradford

"Generally kids need investing in most between 0 and 21. Nana little bit up to 25. Most kids will benefit from extra money at 40 or 50 but those parents would’ve done much better job spending on them decades earlier on education, travel, skills , healthy food"

I disagree kids need to learn that not everything is from trees or the parents will bail me out.

I will only help by half as i strongly agree that they got themselves into the crap they should learn to get themselves out of it.

Not feed them so they go out and create the same mistake again expecting the parent to bail them out again.

By *lan157Man
38 weeks ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

I told my parents when they were alive " spend your money on cruises or leave it to me and I will go on cruises " in the hope they would enjoy their own money. They did leave an inheritance for their children. I would hope to do the same but no one can say what ones own needs are going to be for welfare and to cope with inflation and taxation in years to come . Hence you can make no promises to your own family. On the OP's point I always said jokingly that I would search for a wealthy widow to marry .... I was joking I promise.

By *hongman1Man
38 weeks ago

Mansfield

My mum is very wealthy but cannot/will not spend it!!

For years when I was growing up she struggled and had to save, now she doesn’t thanks for my grandparents she just can’t bring herself to splash out.

I know that it will come to me one day. Do I rely on it? No! Do I have a plan for it when it does come to me? I absolutely do yes, but that plan means handing it to other people so that they don’t have the difficult life that I’ve had.

Not sure if it’s a privilege or not really, I think it is what it is in many ways. Do I care about it? I guess I do, but not for me I don’t suppose.

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple
38 weeks ago

Leeds

I’ve been a horrible son, I’m waiting for the day my mother starts talking about mine, she’ll not be happy when I tell her give it the kids or my brother ( he’s more money orientated than me ) I don’t deserve her money, I haven’t worked for it, I’ve not been a son she can be proud of. I don’t want it.

The mr

38 weeks ago

Definitely a privilege, nobody has the right to it whether your their children/family or not.

Miss S x

By *stwo2023Couple
38 weeks ago

Worcester

Privilege regardless of if they got some or not. If they got a boost from their inheritance you would consider that they used it to better their position and make a better life for their children.

Their children have no claim on the inheritance the parents received.

I know I would want my parents to enjoy their life as much as possible and not worry about leaving anything to me.

That being said I know they both released some money to my sister to help her buy her boat so perhaps some of the lesson is to use some of it to see your children flourish. You can't enjoy that when you're dead.

Evie

By *stwo2023Couple
38 weeks ago

Worcester

"I’ve been a horrible son, I’m waiting for the day my mother starts talking about mine, she’ll not be happy when I tell her give it the kids or my brother ( he’s more money orientated than me ) I don’t deserve her money, I haven’t worked for it, I’ve not been a son she can be proud of. I don’t want it.

The mr "

Surely that's her decision to make, wether to over look whatever you have or haven't done and still try to provide an inheritance for you? Denying her that just makes your words a self fulfilling prophecy.

Evie

By *addad99Man
38 weeks ago

Rotherham /newquay

Told mine do what makes them happy dad has money set aside for his funeral told him go on holiday do something I'll sort it least I can do but he's of a generation that does it.

By *oo..Woman
38 weeks ago

Boo's World

It's a privilege, why should anyone just assume they'll be getting a load of cash when parents or other relatives die?

I've told my parents to spend as much as they can before they die and enjoy it.

By *addad99Man
38 weeks ago

Rotherham /newquay

My kids aren't really interested in anything I leave except my car which I keep telling them I'm getting buried in to wind them up as I have a plot of land that would be ideal

By *inkyguyUKMan
38 weeks ago

worcester

I never received a penny and my parents have cost me more than anything. I won't be like them I will and have already left money. Set your kids up, they will deal with a lot of uncertainty, probably a lot of change and heat literally. But don't leave it when you die, that way a lot goes to the tax man. Give it under the radar, or in tax efficiant ways.

38 weeks ago

I’m in a position with adult children if my own and adult step children

My wife and I stayed that there’s an equal split of inheritance , however I realise we need a Will stipulating this to protect both sets of children

I had a hard time with one step child always trouble causing, trying to dit us up and working with her father basically to cause shit

I would live to cut her out but can’t as that obviously wouldn’t be acceptable

Basically my new wife’s kids are lazy and suck her dry all the time

Yet we have both invested into our home

I think that obviously I’m going to kick the bucket first

So I’m in a situation which one set take for granted an inheritance and my set worry they will be shut out

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

38 weeks ago

East Sussex

Currently my dad is getting 'friendly ' with a woman who's one year older than me. He's 96.

I can't help but question her motives but he's lonely and she could be genuine. However I don't want to see my dad humiliated or hurt.

If he wants to 'splash his cash' to enjoy his last few months/years I'm not going to stop him

By *ddie1966Man
38 weeks ago

Paper Town Central, Essex.

My parents started with nothing.

I started with nothing.

If it was good enough for us it'll be good enough for my kids too.

I'm gonna spend it on wine women and song..... and fast bikes.

It's a privilege to get inheritance.

This is just my view though..

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

38 weeks ago

East Sussex

We want to leave our kids something. It's not a case of whether it's a right or they're entitled. In our opinion our parenting continues throughout our lives and if we can give them something when we die, why wouldn't we? We've worked hard for what we have and if we don't need it for our care later we want them to have it and enjoy it.

38 weeks ago

Inheritance causes nothing but trouble from what I can tell. In this respect I'm glad I don't have any parents.

But I would say it would be a privilege, the parents earned everything so its up to then whatever they do with it.

By *phroditeWoman
38 weeks ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"We want to leave our kids something. It's not a case of whether it's a right or they're entitled. In our opinion our parenting continues throughout our lives and if we can give them something when we die, why wouldn't we? We've worked hard for what we have and if we don't need it for our care later we want them to have it and enjoy it. "
This exactly.

By *NL Social SpurschickWoman
38 weeks ago

Social Zone

Definitely a privilege.

My nanna I always thought was poor until she died. She’d been a widow for 20 years, went no where. Worked and looked after her mam, also a widow. Turns out she’d been saving for retirement in money & clothes, the amount she had in the bank was eye watering. She never got to enjoy that retirement as died three weeks into it.

My folks have been told to spend it, they’ve earned it, so go enjoy their lives. All I need from them is to know they have done this and the memories

By *arkus1812Man
38 weeks ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

"

Currently my dad is getting 'friendly ' with a woman who's one year older than me. He's 96.

I can't help but question her motives but he's lonely and she could be genuine. However I don't want to see my dad humiliated or hurt.

If he wants to 'splash his cash' to enjoy his last few months/years I'm not going to stop him "

Do you not have Power Of Attorney for your dad.?

38 weeks ago

As a dad, I'm squirreling absolutely everything I can away for my daughter. I couldn't go pissing it all away on myself and not leave her what I can. Other than bringing her up to to be the best person she can be, it's my biggest duty in life by far.

By *eyond PurityCouple
38 weeks ago

Lincolnshire

My dad owns property which he rents out - he can’t spend his money as he still lives frugally and goes for cheap holidays and eats in Wetherspoons.

I would prefer if he went on big holidays and seen more of the world but he won’t. He also won’t give me any inheritance now so I can go on big holidays

I didn’t earn it so if it comes to me it’ll be a privilege but I don’t expect it.

K

38 weeks ago

I'm in an argument about it at the moment.

My dad has left me thing in his will but I don't want a single thing from him or my mum

38 weeks ago

Privilege. If you get something, fair enough, but if the parents want to splash the cash on themselves, good on them. Yes, I got a healthy sum when my dad died, but I'd rather he was still here and enjoying his money for himself.

38 weeks ago

It's a privilege.

I'd rather they splash the cash and enjoy themselves

Mrs C

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

38 weeks ago

East Sussex

"

If he wants to 'splash his cash' to enjoy his last few months/years I'm not going to stop him

Do you not have Power Of Attorney for your dad.?"

No I don't. He'd never agree to it, I've asked many times. When mum was alive I got as far as getting the paperwork to get power of attorney for her but he talked her out of it.

By *hawn ScottMan
38 weeks ago

london Brixton

Certainly not a right. I am in charge of my patents estate so know exactly what they have and as an only child i know what I will be getting when that day comes. Enough money has been put aside for their care.

They have a large country estate but a long time ago before the loophole was closed I bought it off them for a pound and charge them a pound a month in rent.

38 weeks ago

Totally up to the benefactor, if they leave anything at all. My kids are millionaires so probably don't care about my relatively paltry leavings.

By *arkus1812Man
38 weeks ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

"

No I don't. He'd never agree to it, I've asked many times. When mum was alive I got as far as getting the paperwork to get power of attorney for her but he talked her out of it. "

We old buggers can be so stubborn at times, Did my POA on my 80th birthday, under pressure I may add.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

38 weeks ago

East Sussex

"

No I don't. He'd never agree to it, I've asked many times. When mum was alive I got as far as getting the paperwork to get power of attorney for her but he talked her out of it. We old buggers can be so stubborn at times, Did my POA on my 80th birthday, under pressure I may add. "

at least you've done it, my dad can get quite verbally aggressive so I'm not asking again. I'm thinking of appointing our daughter sooner rather than later it makes things much easier.

By *batMan
38 weeks ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

I've told my parents to spend all their money. Of course if I get left money, I won't turn it down, but I don't need it and would rather see them blow it on fun.

I've told my kids they will get what ever I leave, but don't bank on it, it will be a lucky bonus for them rather than an invested sum.

Gbat

38 weeks ago

It's a privilege, my parents are well off, I don't want a penny from them they worked hard for it, I encourage them to spend it on themselves, take trips, change their cars. I'm responsible for making my own way, and acquiring my own wealth.

By *yndrwg5Man
38 weeks ago

Carmarthen

"Its not the childrens until there dead and buried.

the same can be said with the children they shouldnt expect either.

Generally kids need investing in most between 0 and 21. Nana little bit up to 25. Most kids will benefit from extra money at 40 or 50 but those parents would’ve done much better job spending on them decades earlier on education, travel, skills , healthy food"

Totally agree with this but very difficult to do! New partners and trust is always an issue

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
38 weeks ago

little house on the praire

I'm always saying to my mum to spend it and enjoy herself.

By *hongman1Man
38 weeks ago

Mansfield

"Inheritance causes nothing but trouble from what I can tell. In this respect I'm glad I don't have any parents.

But I would say it would be a privilege, the parents earned everything so its up to then whatever they do with it. "

Ok, so what if they didn’t? What if the parents got there money from inheritance, or a lottery win, or a big bet win etc etc?

Does that change things?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

38 weeks ago

East Sussex

"I'm always saying to my mum to spend it and enjoy herself."

Our kids say that to us but we can't spend our house and that equity release thing doesn't appeal

By *eordieJeansCouple
38 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

The trick is to give your kids everything at least 7 years before you die and then as far as I’m aware they don’t have to pay inheritance tax.

38 weeks ago

The way people think about money is crazy. As a parent you should be educating children on how to build wealth and assets. This is obviously best at an early age. Rather than a few thousand... taxed at the end. People who manage money well and built wealth will have children that have done the same. It's too late handing down money at the end. If you've got nothing to give and your children have nothing... you've probably already failed them.

By *ellinever70Woman
38 weeks ago

Ayrshire

"The way people think about money is crazy. As a parent you should be educating children on how to build wealth and assets. This is obviously best at an early age. Rather than a few thousand... taxed at the end. People who manage money well and built wealth will have children that have done the same. It's too late handing down money at the end. If you've got nothing to give and your children have nothing... you've probably already failed them. "

Crikey...if only everyone was that fortunate eh

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

38 weeks ago

East Sussex

"The way people think about money is crazy. As a parent you should be educating children on how to build wealth and assets. This is obviously best at an early age. Rather than a few thousand... taxed at the end. People who manage money well and built wealth will have children that have done the same. It's too late handing down money at the end. If you've got nothing to give and your children have nothing... you've probably already failed them. "

Is that right?

My grandfather left £200 to be divided between his 6 children. Even in 1972 when he died that wasn't much. I wouldn't say he failed his children

By *luerooMan
38 weeks ago

Bridgwater

my parents lost their home to care home fees. £1500 a week each. dementia stole my mother and parkinsons took my father

Post new Message to Thread