Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

ChatGPT

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
38 weeks ago

How much do you use it in your day to day at work?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *offiaCoolWoman
38 weeks ago

Kidsgrove

I had to Google what it was, so no

By *obilebottomMan
38 weeks ago

All over

Very little. I like to engage my brain instead

By (user no longer on site)
38 weeks ago

Only when I need to cheat at things

38 weeks ago

Stop talking about me.. I mean, how may I assist you today?

By *aith SkynbyrdWoman
38 weeks ago

Somewhere else

Only to answer my DMs… maybe

38 weeks ago

All the time on here.

By *aith SkynbyrdWoman
38 weeks ago

Somewhere else

"I had to Google what it was, so no "

ChatGPT is powered by GPT-3.5, a language model developed by OpenAI. It works by using a deep neural network with 175 billion parameters, which are weights that the model has learned from diverse internet text. During training, the model learns patterns, grammar, and facts from a wide range of sources. When you provide input, the model generates a response based on that learned knowledge. It doesn't have consciousness or understanding; it predicts the next word or sequence of words given the context of the input.

By *aith SkynbyrdWoman
38 weeks ago

Somewhere else

"All the time on here.

"

I knew it

38 weeks ago

I thought we were talking about motor racing

By *naswingdressWoman
38 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

Not at all. I'm constantly told it'll destroy my industry, but so far I'm pretty underwhelmed. Maybe if you're shitty at what I do?

By *rHotNottsMan
38 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

A lot , it’s encouraged so much we have a policy on its use now.

I use it a lot last year to read 700+ page contracts in Portuguese, Spanish & French and spot clauses I’d missed

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman
38 weeks ago

Carlisle usually

Not at all. I don't have any particular need for it nor a wish to feed the speed of the singularity

By *rofessor ElementalMan
38 weeks ago

Durham

I’m currently not aware that it forms part of day to day working practice. However, that doesn’t mean it not common place without my awareness.

By *rHotNottsMan
38 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

You often find companies that use things like Amazon mechanical Turk and webhooks shift to Genie / OpenAI. Jobs that required you to look for text across social media channels is well as running MTurk to For example see what people are saying about this product or this medicine, And then analyse the results and put some context to them - this can now we done with Genie, Not just as good as a graduate working from home but loads better and loads faster

By *aith SkynbyrdWoman
38 weeks ago

Somewhere else

I love the meme where a chat bot wrote an obituary.

38 weeks ago

"How much do you use it in your day to day at work?"

Daily.

Spellchecker and grammar checker.

Anything formal it writes for me.

Feed it information and ask it to create proposals based on it. Rarely makes a mistake and I'm far more efficient

By *emorefridaCouple
38 weeks ago

La la land

I don't, but have to correct people's work who have used it. It's driving me absolutely insane. Doesn't make up for stupidity and people's lack of proofreading.

By *inaTitzTV/TS
38 weeks ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

"I thought we were talking about motor racing "

I'm here because I thought we were chatting about motorboating

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple
38 weeks ago

Leeds

What is it ?

The mr

38 weeks ago

"How much do you use it in your day to day at work?

Daily.

Spellchecker and grammar checker.

Anything formal it writes for me.

Feed it information and ask it to create proposals based on it. Rarely makes a mistake and I'm far more efficient "

This is pretty much what I use it for. It’s great to use as a framework.

By *razysexymale22Man
38 weeks ago

andover

I use it every day for work and for learning new things at home.

For those who don’t known it’s something called a large language model. Basically imagine them stuffing the whole internet and the knowledge contained in a box and making it available to all.

When you ask it something it predicts the next set of words to reply, which gives the impression of being able to chat about anything you want to know about.

There are loads of these tools about now, expect even more next year!

By *ornucopiaMan
38 weeks ago

Bexley

last time I looked at it, it didn't seem to be easy to use any more.

Has it become too popular?

38 weeks ago

"last time I looked at it, it didn't seem to be easy to use any more.

Has it become too popular?"

ChatGPT has indeed become very popular since its launch. The model has been widely used by people for various purposes, including drafting emails, writing code, creating conversational agents, and more. The popularity of ChatGPT is a testament to its capabilities and usefulness. However, the high demand for the model has also led to some challenges, such as limited availability during peak times and concerns about misuse. OpenAI is actively working on addressing these issues and is exploring options to make ChatGPT more accessible to users.

38 weeks ago

[Removed by poster at 26/12/23 17:49:48]

38 weeks ago

ChatGPT has indeed become very popular since its launch. The model has been widely used by people for various purposes, including drafting emails, writing code, creating conversational agents, and more. The popularity of ChatGPT is a testament to its capabilities and usefulness. However, the high demand for the model has also led to some challenges, such as limited availability during peak times and concerns about misuse. OpenAI is actively working on addressing these issues and is exploring options to make ChatGPT more accessible to users.

"

I see what you done here haha

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple
38 weeks ago

Cumbria

Not at all. Read some ‘AI’ generated stuff and its poor, like someone has swallowed a thesaurus but doesn’t really know how words fit together.

By *midnight-Woman
38 weeks ago

We have an AI chat bot.. It annoys me that it has better chat than i do so i deliberately don't use it and also add typos so people know i went to the effort of typing it myself

38 weeks ago

I see what you done here haha"

it’s actually really powerful. I can see why people use it. I’ve not seen any need apart from fun the same way I ask Alexa to tell me a joke or fart.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
38 weeks ago

North West

When I need to work out if/how a student has cheated.

By *uddy laneMan
38 weeks ago

dudley

I have tried it to write some code which I am able to do and it passed with flying colours.

38 weeks ago

I use chat gpt and ms copilot all the time at work, it makes my life so easy

38 weeks ago

Not at all. Read some ‘AI’ generated stuff and its poor, like someone has swallowed a thesaurus but doesn’t really know how words fit together."

Incorrect. Not sure when you used it last but even ChatGPT 3.5 can put together coherent documentation on a wide variety of subjects.

38 weeks ago

North West

Not at all. Read some ‘AI’ generated stuff and its poor, like someone has swallowed a thesaurus but doesn’t really know how words fit together.

Incorrect. Not sure when you used it last but even ChatGPT 3.5 can put together coherent documentation on a wide variety of subjects. "

ChatGPT, the current version, spits out a lot of generic stuff that barely skims the surface. We read really crap assignments time and again, generated by students punching essay titles into it. It generates exactly the same structure to anything with "essay" in the title and it's absolutely useless at writing laboratory reports from data collected by students. Useless.

I'm currently assessing academic applications and I can spot a ChatGPT personal statement within 2 sentences. They're a load of bollocks. Total generic, meaningless bollocks.

38 weeks ago

Incorrect. Not sure when you used it last but even ChatGPT 3.5 can put together coherent documentation on a wide variety of subjects.

ChatGPT, the current version, spits out a lot of generic stuff that barely skims the surface. We read really crap assignments time and again, generated by students punching essay titles into it. It generates exactly the same structure to anything with "essay" in the title and it's absolutely useless at writing laboratory reports from data collected by students. Useless.

I'm currently assessing academic applications and I can spot a ChatGPT personal statement within 2 sentences. They're a load of bollocks. Total generic, meaningless bollocks. "

I work with engineers who have very specific knowledge that isn't widely understood.

I asked them to test it.

They were glad they were retirement age as it explained it perfectly in a succinct understandable way

Its like anything with new technology, people are DESPERATE for it to be full of faults so they can justify not liking things progressing.

AI is entwined in day to day life in ways most don't even understand.

38 weeks ago

North West

I'm currently assessing academic applications and I can spot a ChatGPT personal statement within 2 sentences. They're a load of bollocks. Total generic, meaningless bollocks.

I work with engineers who have very specific knowledge that isn't widely understood.

I asked them to test it.

They were glad they were retirement age as it explained it perfectly in a succinct understandable way

Its like anything with new technology, people are DESPERATE for it to be full of faults so they can justify not liking things progressing.

AI is entwined in day to day life in ways most don't even understand.

"

I can assure you that ChatGPT does not churn out good quality essays or academic personal statements. I'm sat reading some now and it's just generic stuff. An AI generator cannot elucidate how an applicant can demonstrate concrete examples of their leadership or communication skills because it hasn't got a clue about what that applicant has done. When the applicant comes to interview, they have to be able to speak about their experiences convincingly.

As for lab reports, if you shove in the lab report title and give it some data, it generates mainly generic stuff that does not address the marking criteria other than very superficially. It's fine for regurgitating facts but not for interpreting nuance.

That's my professional experience with it. I'm not disputing your professional experience.

38 weeks ago

I'm currently assessing academic applications and I can spot a ChatGPT personal statement within 2 sentences. They're a load of bollocks. Total generic, meaningless bollocks. "

I agree with some of what you have wrote here but your students are not using it correctly. They’re likely asking it a question “do this essay on ….” This will produce generic crap. Give the AI a list of variables and ask it to include those, it should give a more precise output. Additionally, once you have the output, you can then feed that back into the AI with further variables for an even more unique output.

By *emorefridaCouple
38 weeks ago

La la land

^ 100% all waffley bullshit with no depth.

By *naswingdressWoman
38 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

^ 100% all waffley bullshit with no depth. "

So far my assessment of AI is that it's "good enough" - in what I do - if you don't give a crap about quality or meaning, you just need a bunch of words.

The internet will be filled with such crap in fairly short order, and people will likely cry out for quality and meaning.

If this technology is set to put me out of business, it better up its game.

38 weeks ago

As ever with these things... its the user.

I use this day to day for technical proposals on large projects. I dont make it do every word

I feed it the information and tweak and bend it to my desire.

Its a tool not a member of staff or student.

This is the the car to the horse and carriage.

38 weeks ago

North West

^ 100% all waffley bullshit with no depth. "

Yep! But apparently I don't know what it is I'm reading before my very eyes, Frida

It all has the same structure too....

This essay will address.....

Here's a paragraph or two about some of what it said at the start.

In conclusion, I've just written an essay entitled "Whatever the title of the essay" was.

Sources:

Made up by ChatGPT - often don't actually exist in reality.

~Fin~

By *emorefridaCouple
38 weeks ago

La la land

^ 100% all waffley bullshit with no depth.

So far my assessment of AI is that it's "good enough" - in what I do - if you don't give a crap about quality or meaning, you just need a bunch of words.

The internet will be filled with such crap in fairly short order, and people will likely cry out for quality and meaning.

If this technology is set to put me out of business, it better up its game."

Yep it's just not good enough. I mean I can tell the difference between those who have no clue and those that do. Even if I take those with more of a clue, it just doesn't bridge complex ideas well and there is a disjointed flow to the information I find.

38 weeks ago

"As ever with these things... its the user.

I use this day to day for technical proposals on large projects. I dont make it do every word

I feed it the information and tweak and bend it to my desire.

Its a tool not a member of staff or student.

This is the the car to the horse and carriage."

Absolutely spot on

38 weeks ago

North West

OP, what do you use ChatGPT for? It's clear that it can spit out factual information reasonably well, although it has some serious biases. We had great fun with it refusing to generate anything where it referred to me (the female of the species) as the driver of a car. When it was told only 1 of a married couple could drive, it consistently generated and regenerated stuff about the man driving. My husband doesn't have a licence. It's awash with such things.

By *naswingdressWoman
38 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

"OP, what do you use ChatGPT for? It's clear that it can spit out factual information reasonably well, although it has some serious biases. We had great fun with it refusing to generate anything where it referred to me (the female of the species) as the driver of a car. When it was told only 1 of a married couple could drive, it consistently generated and regenerated stuff about the man driving. My husband doesn't have a licence. It's awash with such things. "

Oh Jesus wept. Tech has learned nothing.

38 weeks ago

Cumbria

Incorrect. Not sure when you used it last but even ChatGPT 3.5 can put together coherent documentation on a wide variety of subjects. "

Erm, it may look ok to you but it reads poorly to me. Different standards I suppose.

38 weeks ago

"

Yep! But apparently I don't know what it is I'm reading before my very eyes"

Its not a case of you don't know what it is you're reading. You're judging a technology being used incorrectly.

I can confuse it easily and make it useless. Make it spout gibberish at will. I can also make it win large scale projects for me.

Its like giving a preschooler a violin and saying the violin sounds awful

38 weeks ago

"OP, what do you use ChatGPT for? It's clear that it can spit out factual information reasonably well, although it has some serious biases. We had great fun with it refusing to generate anything where it referred to me (the female of the species) as the driver of a car. When it was told only 1 of a married couple could drive, it consistently generated and regenerated stuff about the man driving. My husband doesn't have a licence. It's awash with such things. "

ChatGPT is male!!!

By *naswingdressWoman
38 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

Erm, it may look ok to you but it reads poorly to me. Different standards I suppose."

Indeed. Some people are happy with lower standards. I am not.

By *odgers and PartingCouple
38 weeks ago

edinburgh

Never, fuck that. Bet there’s a fair few profiles been written using it. K

38 weeks ago

North West

"

Yep! But apparently I don't know what it is I'm reading before my very eyes

Its not a case of you don't know what it is you're reading. You're judging a technology being used incorrectly.

I can confuse it easily and make it useless. Make it spout gibberish at will. I can also make it win large scale projects for me.

Its like giving a preschooler a violin and saying the violin sounds awful "

I'm judging applicants for academic scholarship awards written by people who should know better. What I'm telling you is that unless the applicant makes significant effort to rewrite what it generates, it generates a load of genetic crap and it generates near enough identical crap for everyone who asks it the same question.

I've already explained that it does not generate good essays for people who paste in essay titles. It completely fabricates source citations and bibliographies but if you're trying to get it to do the work for you, it is actually more time consuming to go through and work out what's accurate and what's not and to replace the inaccurate bits. You'd be far better off just doing the work yourself in the first place.

I don't want to give degrees to people who paste essay titles into a computer and think they can get a first by copy/pasting the response. Just like I won't overlook people who used essay mills or who plagiarised by copying from books or off Wikipedia. It's very obvious to people who know their job.

By *ddie1966Man
38 weeks ago

Paper Town Central, Essex.

I thought Chat GP T was an online medical diagnosis site...

38 weeks ago

You make some valid points, they shouldn't be using it to write essays. As it stands it's useless for it.

All of my points stand above. Its a tool.

Checking essays will be done via AI in just a few years time so you won't need to bare it much longer

38 weeks ago

Erm, it may look ok to you but it reads poorly to me. Different standards I suppose.

Indeed. Some people are happy with lower standards. I am not."

Now now, let’s not get nasty. It’s okay that you/your students don’t understand how to use it properly.

38 weeks ago

"I thought Chat GP T was an online medical diagnosis site...

"

Haha It’s not that good…yet

By *naswingdressWoman
38 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

Now now, let’s not get nasty. It’s okay that you/your students don’t understand how to use it properly. "

I'm judging what gets put out in my field. I've never bothered to use it.

What gets put out in my field is garbage, sometimes warmed up garbage.

38 weeks ago

North West

"I thought Chat GP T was an online medical diagnosis site...

"

What it meant to say is that you have piles - of leaves in your front garden. Not piles as in haemorrhoids.

It's also quite bad at colloquial language or where the same word, spelled the same way, can have different meanings in different contexts. It is also VERY American. So the leaves are actually in your front yard. Not garden

38 weeks ago

Cumbria

Now now, let’s not get nasty. It’s okay that you/your students don’t understand how to use it properly. "

No, it’s just suitable for fields that don’t require creativity, not so much for those which do.

By *naswingdressWoman
38 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

Now now, let’s not get nasty. It’s okay that you/your students don’t understand how to use it properly.

No, it’s just suitable for fields that don’t require creativity, not so much for those which do."

But it also makes stuff up - one might argue that law requires some creativity, but... not this kind of creativity.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/new-york-lawyers-sanctioned-using-fake-chatgpt-cases-legal-brief-2023-06-22/

Post new Message to Thread